Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2011, 10:45 PM

Puss in Boots(2011)-5/10
Old 11-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Monkeybone (2001)

Based on the comic 'Dark Town' but slightly twisted somewhat resulting in this film from Selick* which by no means is a bad thing as the film is great fun. When I first saw this it was a straight to 'video' release but I was enticed by the unusual title and colourful film cover, but I must admit after seeing it I didn't really like it that much. The film did bomb heavily in the US and this is why the UK only saw it at the videoshop which is a shame. I think the odd casting of Brendan Fraser (never been a big name really) and Bridget Fonda didn't help as the you don't tend to think of these two for a surreal 'Burton-esq' life after death flick as this. I also think Fraser gave the film a childish outlook due to his previous films plus he's not a great actor anyway so this may have detracted from the film.

Upon watching again I must say I've warmed up to this fantasy now bigtime, it does show tremendous imagination and originality throughout which is unique in itself, add to that some marvellous stop motion animation, cartoon animation and a whole host loony toon rubber masks and suits equalling many strange and bizarre creatures. Selick being the master behind 'Nightmare Before Christmas' shows us again here how that wasn't a fluke, much like 'Beetlejuice' the characters are all suppose to be dead or with this film imaginatively created also. Most of the film is set in a limbo land and this allows Selick to run riot with the creations and utilize his skills in stop motion perfectly, all of which is really nicely done.

You really could be forgiven for thinking this was a Burton/Selick collaboration as the film is very dark and off the wall highlighting their fascination of the afterlife being basically a pain in the ass. The whole film is highly colourful, vivid and shows great artistic merit with some nice alternative takes on the look for limbo, death, passing over etc...its not morbid but nicely ghoulish.

Must applaud Chris Kattan for a brilliant little role as a dead body that Fraser's character inhabits towards the end really nicely played and quite believeable as a corpse with a broken neck haha kudos. Worst choice is easily casting Whoopi Goldberg as 'Death', who's decision was that!!?.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Killer Elite - 7/10
Paranormal Activity 3 - 4/10
Old 11-08-2011, 01:47 AM
Frank and Jesse (1994)

Another version of the outlaw duo this time headed up by big stars Paxton and Lowe as the brothers, no one else is much of a draw here as this seems more of a low budget production, possibly more of a TV movie, but sometimes films work better that way.

Well not this time I'm afraid, the film is reasonable with acceptable performances and it does, at times, look quite realistic with its bare no frills look but there is a whole load of dubious fake looking gun fighting, fake looking deaths and dodgy extras acting going on in the background that kinda spoils things.

The main issue is of course the historical facts, for some reason the powers that be deemed it better to change many facts around making the film completely errr wrong. Even common knowledge facts such as the man who shot Jesse James, twas Bob not Charlie!! so why does this film change it?.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Extreme Prejudice (1987)

Terrific dated action feast from Walter Hill that clearly shows early ideas for his other action feasts and also kinda reminded me of an early 'Expendables' type film. The cast in this is pretty awesome in terms of characters actors, Nolte, Ironside, Torn, Powers Boothe, Maria Conchita Alonso, Clancy Brown, William Forsythe, Marco Rodríguez, Mickey Jones and Tommy 'Tiny' Lister...oddly.

Its basically a big build up to a big shoot em up at the finale between everyone with double cross and bullets flying everywhere very over the top and so very very 80's, lovely. Nothing much to explain really, if you like loud action flicks with plenty of henchmen getting shot in slow motion then this is for you baby, Nolte is gruff and miserable, Ironside is evil and slimy whilst Forsythe is like a hurricane of obseneties and fast dialog.

Love how in these films everyone seems to get shot in the shoulder or just below, doesn't matter how many times they get shot or the range its always the shoulder areas haha brilliant.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:53 AM

Old 11-08-2011, 01:05 PM
I was watching some of Memento last night. It's been a while since I've seen this film, it's even better than I remember. The scene where Pearce lies in bed reminiscing of his wife ("I don't even remember how long she's been gone") was just beautifully written and broke my heart. It got a bit late to watch the whole thing, but I watched enough to reconsider my rating. It's currently a 9, it could easily go to a 10. Nolan rocks.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Top Gun 7/10
Old 11-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Due date
First viewing, comedy I’ve been meaning to watch for ages Finally got round to It yesterday. I knew I’d like It as I do most comedies that aren’t very well received. I always find It hard to give a score out of 10 for comedies, as much as I liked It the laughs were just all coming from Mr ZG which Is good but does get boring after a while. 6/10

I love you Phillip Morris
First viewing, yeah a bit of a comedy fest yesterday both comedies I’ve been meaning to watch for a while. ‘Gay’ Is the word which springs to mind for this movie I’ll find It very hard to see Jim Carey & Mr Mcgregor as straight men after this very convincing portrayal. Unlike ‘Due date’ there was also some drama In this one especially toward the end but the laughs were few & far between for me. 5/10

Central Station

First viewing, certainly not a comedy here a movie I’ve had on my shelf collecting dust for quite a while finally gave it a go today. A movie many people might not be familiar with. A story of love with a motherless boy desperate to find his father with the help of a former primary school teacher who at first seems to have lost herself or possibly lost love for herself, great movie, great ending. 8/10
Old 11-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Lady And The Tramp - 6/10
One of the few animated Disney films I've somehow missed over the years, not impressed.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
Tree Of Life - 9/10

Epic filmmaking. Awe-inspiring. At times frustrating. Overwhelming.

I loved it.
Yep, close to my feelings as well, although I can fully understand why this movie is so polarizing (love it / hate it).

Tree Of Life - 9/10
Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 PM

Old 11-08-2011, 09:37 PM

Old 11-08-2011, 09:51 PM
This Gun For Hire with Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake- A very good noir with Ladd giving one of his best performances as a hitman. He and Lake have very good chemistry together as well. The relationships between all of the characters make this one of the best B-movie noirs. 8/10

Jour de fete with Jacques Tati - I was expecting more from this film. Tati is a postman who gets into all sorts of comical situations. Some of them were actually pretty good but it wasn't as hysterical as some of his other work like Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot. 6/10

These Glamour Girls with Lana Turner and Lew Ayres - Turner is a dance hall girl who must deal with pretentious and entitled college students. It's not bad for this type of film I suppose. I really like Turner but she wasn't getting very challenging roles in her youth. 5/10
Old 11-08-2011, 10:46 PM

Tower Heist(2011)-6/10
Old 11-09-2011, 12:44 AM

This was entertaining enough, but I can't get past some of the most outrageously idiotic plot devices that push the story forward in the direction they want it to go in.
Moreover, I had to laugh inside myself how the movie wants you to hope for the best for Our Chimp Caesar, but by doing so you're rooting for the complete extermination of the human race as we know it. This isn't necessarily BAD, but I find it funny and wonder if many people look at it from this perspective.

Overall it was an OK movie that brings zero storytelling surprises and tries too hard to be something more serious, but underneath its' guise is fluff.

Essential viewing for PJ fans (I'm pretty much in that category). GREAT for any fan of the 90's Seattle music scene. Good for those who like a well put-together documentary. Cameron Crowe, Chris Cornell fans... it's good for that, too. Basically, it was a darned good documentary that is a great love letter to a band that Crowe has loved since their inception. Recommended.

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 11-09-2011 at 06:19 AM..
Old 11-09-2011, 08:26 AM

Mars needs moms.

My son, my son, what have ye done?
Old 11-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Nacho Libre 8/10
Eagle Eye 8/10
Old 11-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Melancholia - 6/10

I'm not going to lie, Part One bored me to tears. The second part picks the film up and saves it from being an utter wreck. However, I felt there was nothing to ponder after it was all over and I was confused by what Lars was trying to communicate with it.

Oh, and while Dunst was impressive, it's Gainsbourg who gets the major cred from me.

Last edited by viceus; 11-09-2011 at 11:53 AM..
Old 11-09-2011, 10:15 PM

Old 11-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Buck and the Preacher with Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte - Poitier is a trailguide that is protecting a wagon train from bounty hunters hired to bring them back to work on plantations. This western has some pretty good action and Belafonte is funny at times as an amoral swindler masquerading as a preacher. 7/10

Here Comes the Navy with James Cagney - Cagney is a newly recruited naval man who tries to romance his superior's sister. Cagney has some funny moments but that's about all the film has going for it. 5/10
Old 11-09-2011, 11:22 PM

A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas(2011)-8/10
Old 11-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Extreme Prejudice and Salo 120 days of sodom
Old 11-10-2011, 01:51 AM
Contagion (8/10)
Not the masterpiece it had the potential to be given the level of talent involved. I disliked Soderbergh's over-reliance on montages to move the story along, most of them accompanied by cheesy "X-Files"-esque music, it gave off kind of a TV-movie vibe at times. But overall, this is still compelling from start to finish, features excellent cinematography and is very atmospheric and haunting. It made me think twice about sharing my popcorn with the person next to me, that's for sure. The cast were all top-notch with Kate Winslet being the obvious stand-out and Matt Damon delivering a solid, emotional performance as well. Marion Cotillard could've been given more screen-time. Her storyline was interesting but wasn't explored much. I found it interesting in the film that the police seem so unavailable to help all these suffering people getting robbed or killed but they still make the time to set up an elaborate trap for Jude Law's vigilante-type character. Not that that's a flaw with the film - just an interesting observation. Shows how concerned these agencies are about the suffering public in comparison to one "dangerous" individual. Contagion doesn't go anywhere new with the deadly-virus epidemic storyline, but it's still a very well-made, chilling thriller that I recommend seeing.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:19 AM
The Naked Kiss - 8/10

Positively bewildering. Samuel Fuller's work is an overly ambitious breath of fresh air. Ahead of his time and obviously censored by the studio, its at once a punch in the face and a laughable melodrama. A one of a kind flick that tackles some harsh subject matter for the time period.

Last edited by Fergus; 11-10-2011 at 03:51 PM..
Old 11-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Identity Check

http://studios.amazon.com/movies/10995 at Amazon Studios. Pretty good too.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:15 PM
In Time - 6.5/10
Old 11-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Jack and Jill (2011)
The Muppets (2011)
My Week With Marilyn
Shame (2011)
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)
Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1
Old 11-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Harold & Maude (8/10)
Old 11-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Stake Land -- 7/10
Old 11-10-2011, 03:50 PM

X-Men: First Class - *** 1/2

FINALLY bought a blu-ray player and this was my first bluray purchase. God, it looked amazing!

Also re-watched a few days ago:

Hook - ***

Last edited by ilovemovies; 11-11-2011 at 02:01 AM..
Old 11-10-2011, 04:04 PM
There Will Be Blood 10/10
Old 11-10-2011, 06:29 PM
V for Vendetta (James McTeigue, 2006)

Not quite as effective as I remember it being, still good though.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Ocean's Eleven (Steven Soderbergh, 2001) 3˝ out of 4 stars
Easy A (Will Gluck, 2010) 3 out of 4 stars
Jason X (James Isaac, 2002) 1 out of 4 stars
Scream (Wes Craven, 1996) 3˝ out of 4 stars
Old 11-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Love Has Many Faces with Lana Turner - Turner is a rich woman who is one of the people interviewed after a beach boy is found dead in Acapulco. The story itself is pretty dull but Turner and Cliff Robertson give pretty good performances. 6/10

The Fighting 69th with James Cagney - Cagney is a brash recruit during WWI who flees when he has to face an actual battle. He is really good and carries the film while hoping to be able to get another chance and redeem himself. 8/10
Old 11-10-2011, 11:10 PM
finished watching

Old 11-11-2011, 02:04 AM
A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas 3D - ** 1/2

Takes silliness to a whole new level. All in all, I would give this movie a VERY lukewarm recommendation. It has some funny moments but it has some really awful moments. But the main reason why I'm just able to give this a recommendation is that for all it's faults, the characters at least remain likeable and the chemistry between John Cho and Kal Penn remains great. There is deep, genuine affection for these characters and it carries the movie even through some rough spots.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Drive - 9/10
Old 11-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Class of 1984 (1982)

The first in the 'Class of' trilogy and a pretty different outlook over the other two as this film is actually more of a serious approach to the story. One teacher up against a gang of yobs within the school which starts off with mere issues but slowly developes into a life or death scenario as the gang and the teacher press harder for retaliation.

Compared to the other films this is a much darker affair which does get pretty tense as you really get behind Perry King's character to defeat the gang, you wanna see him beat them haha. Set in the present (of the time) so everything looks as it should unlike the sequels, the film of course looks really dated now mainly down to cars, hair styles and costumes but its still a great thriller with a really nice ensemble cast that all perform well.
Van Patten as the psychopathic pretty boy leader is really good the way he switches from menacing greaser to a whimpering high school kid to trick the officials, McDowall fits this type of trashy low budget film perfectly and King really cranks up the suspense giving the film real edge.

For all its silliness, increasing amounts of violence and lack of subtlety the film is probably quite accurate I think, it possibly does show what can and has happened in urban schools to some degree, the security guards etc...a reasonable prediction. Yes this film was a 'video nasty' back in the day in the UK, one of those films that was thought to corrupt the young and innocent hehe I can see why somewhat, looking back now though its a good fun revenge thriller which is so gloriously 80's and introduced us all to a young chubby Michael J. Fox.

Class of 1999 (1990)

Sequel to the first but with a rather ambitious new plot revolving around 'terminator' style robot teachers that are brought in to control the students.

Set in the distant future of 99 (at the time ) this film looks allot like 'Mad Max' mixed with elements from 'Robocop'. You can see where Lester got his inspirations from but in all honesty the film is so gloriously over the top and cheesy its just brilliant. Probably even more dated than the first film due to the quite horrendous costumes on display lol! they really are quite fantastically lame and impractical you just gotta smile. Add to this lots of armoured cars, a high school that looks like a large seedy red light district with masked stormtroopers patrolling around and another king of trashy B-movies, Malcolm McDowell as the head.

The cast is again pretty good with some cult names in there such as Pam Grier, Joshua John Miller of 'Near Dark' fame, Stacy Keach with some nice futuristic contacts and white hair and main player Bradley Gregg who curiously looks like a hybrid of Stephen Dorff and Corey Feldman fused together....the perfect guy for a trashy 80's flick then

Yes this isn't as good as the first as this film dumps the serious thriller aspect and goes way over board into the realms of silly sci-fi with extreme gun play between warring school gang factions and the robotic death machines that are the teachers but its still damn good fun. Lots of cheesy dialog and hammy performances with an ending that definitely borrows from a certain James Cameron sci-fi adventure. Anarchy is overblown wearing ridiculous earrings, long head scarfs and large shiny belts almost a homage to the early 80's.

Class of 1999 II: The Substitute (1994)

Third sequel in the series and this one continues the theme of the robotic killer teachers, this time the last one is suppose to be A.W.O.L with a CIA op after him/it so he can make more of the deadly robots.

Enter 'Kickboxer' star Sasha Mitchell looking like Johnny Mnemonic and Keanu Reeves' brother all at the same time yet with even more dubious acting skills, if any. We see some martial arts but not too much, we see some yobs getting beaten up by Johnny er I mean Sasha and we see plenty of cliched characters that were much better and more fun in the last two films.

The main problem here is the film isn't really based within a school anymore, its more of a thriller with everything but the school environment so its hardly worthy of the title 'Class of 1999'. Other silly issues crop up like the robot teacher seemingly developing a crush on a fellow female teacher and then without warning deciding to kill absolutely everyone it see's.

No cool effects, no cult casting and no fun looking sets and costumes, this wasn't needed in all honesty, mid 90's and too late to pull off what the first two managed.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:10 AM
The Sylvian Experiments - 6/10
Closed Thread