Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 06:33 AM
Vinci 7/10
The Silent House 7/10
Old 11-19-2011, 07:36 AM

X-Men: The Last Stand(2006)-7/10
Old 11-19-2011, 07:46 AM
Bound 8.5/10

Love this flick.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Conan the Barbarian (2011)

What happened here!? I was really looking forward to seeing this as I do have love for these sword n sorcery fantasy adventure flicks of old and had high hopes for this remake/reboot. Yes I accept the obvious cheese factors and possible over the top silliness of the whole concept, if you love the old Conan/Red Sonja/Dragonslayer/Beastmaster type films then you surely do, but I was amazed at the lack of imagination used for this new film.

I really feel disappointed with this in every aspect, Momoa certainly looked the part but he wasn't quite big enough for me, not enough muscle tone, he played the part OK but there was too much needless sword twirling and fancy pointless showmanship. Lang and McGowan didn't really thrill me either, they both looked like characters outta 'Star Trek' and were simply dull, much like all the characters, just your run of the mill faceless baddies with silly haircuts. Poor old Perlman looked like a flipping Wookie or Neanderthal in his get up, the abominable swordsman.

I just felt a real lack of inspiration throughout the film, the location and sets were drab, nothing really exciting actually happened and the finale was a mess of bad bluescreen, poor models and poor cgi. Throw into the mix a very lackluster giant octopus monster thing (terrible cgi again) which didn't really do anything, totally mediocre and has been done before over and over *sigh*.

Yes the film sticks to original source material by staying violent with plenty of blood and gore (although the blood was again bad cgi in places) but the film just felt like it lacked care, just tossing together all the old cliches and old ideas and throwing out yet another lame reboot/remake..whatever.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:35 PM
The Help - 7/10
Old 11-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Maverick

I watched Maverick today starring Mel Gibson...can watch that anytime. Classic
Old 11-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Boogie Nights - I wasn't really all that impressed by this. The film looked pretty good but I didn't really care for any of the characters. 5/10

American Gangster - Even if much of the supposedly true story is completely made up there were still a few good performances. My favorite scene was when Ruby Dee told off Denzel. 7/10
Old 11-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Four Lions.

If you ever watch one suicide bomber comedy in your life, this is definitely the one to watch. It was hilarious throughout. Talk about premature ebombluation.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:46 PM

Mission: Impossible 3(2006)-7/10
Old 11-19-2011, 10:42 PM

Crank(2006)-7/10
Old 11-20-2011, 03:47 AM

PEE-WEE HERMAN SHOW ON BROADWAY - 8/10

About five minutes into it, I started to get a huge-ass grin on my face. That grin kept getting wider and wider. I couldn't watch it loud enough, so the volume kept getting turned up.
The fun and joy of reminiscing about the childhood magic of Pee-Wee's Playhouse came back much stronger than I had expected. I loved it, and it not only helps to have grown up watching the show as a kid, but the production is great and fun even for someone at my current age.

This is a MUST-SEE for fans of Pee-Wee's Playhouse. Do NOT let this one go unwatched.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:27 AM
just finished watching for the first time

8/10
Old 11-20-2011, 10:09 AM

Monte Carlo(2011)-4/10
Old 11-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Vampire in Brooklyn (1996)

Another film I haven't seen since release at the cinema, I enjoyed it upon first viewing back then but nowadays I'm not so sure. This film was pretty much Murphy's last flick before he began his lame kiddie flick career and gave up on adult action/humour which he has never seemed to recover from.

Director by Horror legend Wes Craven you would think this might have a chance at being good but unfortunately because Murphy tries to go down the 'Coming to America' route it fails. There's no way Murphy can recapture the golden days of 'Coming to America' and he tries way too hard in this, its not a terrible vampire film but its not exactly funny either which it tries to be too much.

Some nice makeup on Murphy, Hardison and Bassett can't really save the film with its obvious sets, poor casting and indecision as to wether it wants to be more amusing or more serious. I think its safe to say both Wes and Eddie tried for an 'American in Werewolf' approach but missed the mark by quite some distance but it still has one or two nice moments.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:18 PM

7/10
Old 11-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Justice - 6.5/10
Old 11-20-2011, 12:47 PM
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (7/10)

Frankly, I'm surprised the reviews aren't a little gentler on the film. Of course they were never going to be great but I would've thought many critics would consider this a step up from New Moon or Eclipse, which were pretty much plotless and meandering. Breaking Dawn: Part 1 actually maintains a decent pace and it has a storyline. Things get more interesting this time around. Jacob's allegiances begin to shift. Bella is really put to the test of how badly she wants this vampire lifestyle this time around. She's put through an intense, painful physical experience and has some appropriately icky, squirmish scenes. The blood-drinking and back-snapping come to mind for me. Bill Condon, new to the series, really steps the series back into line with this one. His treatment of the storyline is better and more focused than what we've seen before. There's also a number of visually stunning sequences, one very artistic montage in particular right at the end of the film will give Twi-hards major geekgasms.

I would normally have a problem with all the gushy, OTT lovey-dovey stuff with Bella and Edward, but it actually worked in Breaking Dawn: Part 1. The scenes with the two rely more on the palpable chemistry between the actors than sappy dialogue. The wedding and honeymoon sequences were effective and again, visually beautiful.

Stewart is still a bit bland in places though. She's proven she can emote, and I wonder why she doesn't more with this role. When left to hold the screen, without her chemistry with Pattinson to lean on, she's often wooden. A lot of the time she just has this blank look on her face. Though this is mostly confined to the start of the film, and she is quite effective in the later, more physical scenes. Breaking Dawn: Part 1 actually benefits from having less of her and focusing on the werewolf/vampire conflict and Jacob's shift of allegiance. The latter of which is all done very well, aside from one scene. I'm talking about the "talking dogs" scene. That was just lame and looked really bad. If I'm not mistaken the pack haven't spoken, erm, English, in dog-form, in the films yet. It was just awkward. It was also hard to hear what Jacob was even saying during a very crucial, character-changing speech. I think I would've taken seeing the pack all argue topless more seriously than the "talking dogs".

Of course there's still a number of cheesy lines to get through, but that's to be expected from these films by now. At least some of them are undercut with some humour. The bed-breaking scene was amusing, as was the scene where Bella discusses the impending child's name. EJ (Edward Jacob) was just a horribly cheesy moment, but the humorous mentioning of "Renesmee" following sorta makes up for it. Jacob's reaction to that is quite funny.

Overall - this, surprisingly, actually left me wanting more out of a series I've found deeply mediocre so far. It's not perfect, but Condon is starting to take the series in the right direction. Hopefully Part 2 doesn't let it down.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Jackass 3 *twice* (8/10)
The Magdalene Sisters (7/10)
Old 11-20-2011, 03:28 PM
The Royal Tenenbaums (Wes Anderson, 2001) 3 out of 4 stars
I wasn't expecting to like this since this is only my second Wes Anderson film and I didn't like the first one I saw (Fantastic Mr. Fox). However, this is a quirky film that starts of funny and slowly tugs at your heart strings. It's a story of forgiveness and redempton wrapped in great performances and a smart script.

Beginners (Mike Mills, 2011) 3˝ out of 4 stars
Absolutely brilliant movie. It's funny, it's sad, and it's really well-made. There's not much I can say about it except the plot was original, Christopher Plummer deserves Best Supporting Actor consideration, Ewan McGregor proves that he's a highly underrated actress, and Melanie Laurent is both beautiful and talented, and is slowly becoming one of my favorite actresses working in Hollywood today.

The Dilemma (Ron Howard, 2011) 2 out of 4 stars
The acting was fine and the plot was new to me, but I really couldn't find any laughs. It almost felt like the movie wasn't even trying to be funny. It's not like the movie had bad jokes, it's that the movie didn't have any jokes at all, which left it very bare. Ron Howard seems to be a very hit-and-miss director for me. When he's great, he's really great, with movies like A Beautiful Mind, Apollo 13, and Frost/Nixon. When he's bad, he's pretty bad, with stuff like this and Willow.

Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994) 4 out of 4 stars
Fargo (Coen brothers, 1996) 4 out of 4 stars
Scream (Wes Craven, 1996) 3˝ out of 4 stars
Old 11-20-2011, 05:18 PM

7/10
Old 11-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Paul-8/10

Alien-8/10

Boondocks Saints-3/10
Old 11-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Possession (2009) - Even if the story was a little weak both Sarah Michelle Gellar and Lee Pace did a pretty good job with the material they were given. The ending didn't really seem to fit with the rest of the story though. 5/10

In My Sleep - This looked like it would be a pretty good mystery but it completely fell apart at the end. The actor who played the husband of the missing woman was also pretty terrible. 5/10
Old 11-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
Beginners (Mike Mills, 2011) 3˝ out of 4 stars
Ewan McGregor proves that he's a highly underrated actress
LOL

Glad you enjoyed it. My second favourite of the year so far. It was a sublime, lovely, smart film.

In the weekend also watched...

Jackass 3D (7/10)
Push (5/10)
My Soul to Take (3/10)
Old 11-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Works as an alternate universe where Andy Stitzer from The 40-Year Old Virgin got laid in high school, but Carell now trades in Apatow’s crew from that movie for Ryan Gosling as his alpha wingman of choice to guide him in the ways of hitting on women without coming off as a desperate dork. Hijinks should and do ensue, and Carell and Gosling have a definite bromantic chemistry, as do they with their respective romantic interests (two equally fantastic performances from Julianne Moore and Emma Stone). And aside from an ending that ties things up a little too neatly for the complicated ideas about love and relationships it seeks to espouse, the whole thing hangs together with a sharp script and the incredible ensemble that elevate the material beyond its station as a functional rom-com. It helps that writer Dan Fogelman, he of many a 3D animated movie, brings a fresher perspective to this kind of film than someone who may make the genre their stock and trade and be tempted to take the lazy way out. There’s something special about a film in a genre that usually insults your intelligence that actually doesn’t. And what else can be said about Emma Stone? The perfect combination of Sexy and Cute.

-> 8/10
Old 11-20-2011, 08:20 PM
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 - 4/10
Never Take Candy From A Stranger - 8/10
Old 11-20-2011, 09:47 PM

9/10
Old 11-20-2011, 10:59 PM

Running Scared(2006)-7/10
Old 11-21-2011, 01:04 AM

Lucky Number SLevin(2006)-7/10
Old 11-21-2011, 04:09 AM
Breaking Dawn: Part 1 (6/10)
While the melodrama and cringe worthy dialogue remains, Stewart and Patterson drop their montonous acting and deliver something different. Stewart particularly does a good job. The problem still remains the script but this time around I found myself enjoying the silliness.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:19 AM

MR. NOBODY (2009)

Holy hell! I really don't know what to say. It's an existential pseudo-sci-fi love story that incorporates elements of 2001, INCEPTION, THE TREE OF LIFE, QUANTUM LEAP, ENTER THE VOID... and two of those titles didn't even get released until after this movie was made!
That's kind of a reference to not only the intricate and wild sequence(s) of events, but also my way of giving a nod to a movie that worked for me much more than I had expected. Given that I'm not fond of many of the movies this is similar to, I must say I was quite pleasantly surprised by what I saw. First of all, the exposition comes in a more acceptable and interesting manner; many clues are laid out in a seemingly incomprehensible and incongruent manner. Strangely enough, it's the perfect setup to some big payoffs later.

MR. NOBODY is not just an artsy-fartsy flick that tries to throw in quantum science, fantasy, oddball visuals and left-field oddities for the sake of considering itself something more serious than the substance at hand. I actually felt that these strange events work perfectly for the story being told. It's not being artistic just for the sake of art; it actually has something to say.
Unlike some concept artsy films (like ENTER THE VOID), it isn't interesting for a half hour and then turn into "a challenge of patience" versus "the hope for a good ending/journey". At its' heart, it's a love story. One that I fell for more often than not.

I don't mind when movies try to be unique or different. I just hope that it tries to first and foremost TELL a fucking STORY. Which, to me, this did.

So I guess I'll rate it (?):

9/10

THE MAN FROM NOWHERE (AJEOSHI)

- A pawn shop owner begrudgingly befriends a young girl, and when she and her mother are kidnapped, this mysterious man begins to unravel his zen-like state only to embrace his violent past...
Although this is a fairly straightforward and predictable action-based movie, it's certainly entertaining. Even the overly-tender moments work more often than not.
The little girl stole the fucking show. Won Bin is huge here in Korea, but really he's just another pretty-boy face that I find to be cookie-cutter boredom (not being a chick - or gay - might also be part of my problem). His performance was alright, but make anyone stare blankly into the camera long enough and you can have your Tough Guy persona.

Regardless of the faults, MAN FROM NOWHERE is a hell of a good time at the movies.

8/10

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 11-21-2011 at 06:38 AM..
Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 AM

9/10
Old 11-21-2011, 07:49 AM

The Roommate
3/10
Old 11-21-2011, 09:04 AM
The Disappearance of Alice Creed

An intense and involving thriller with a lot of unique twists and turns.
the only 3 actors in the film ,Gemma Arterton as Alice Creed,Martin Compston as Danny
& Eddie Marsan as Vic give bold and brave performances.Some of the film plays out to simply,but thats a minor flaw in this very good film.
Scale of 1-10 a 9

Immortals

Bad editing,and some plot holes aside,this is a very good ,sword and sandals,blood and guts flick.If you're a fan of Sparticus on Starz you will love this movie.
Henry Cavill is good as Theseus,makes me look forward to his portrayal of Superman.
Stephen Dorff is good as the wise cracking Stavros,Freida Pinto as Phaedra is beyond beautiful,im still trying to find out who her body double was.
Mickey Rourke as King Hyperion,is beyond evil and was fun to watch.
Scale of 1-10 an 8

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn part 1

The trailer looked interesting so yes i sat through this in the theatre.
Unfortunately all of the interesting and almost edge of your seat moments happen toward the last 30 minutes of the movie.Sure there are some fun moments,with intentional and unintentional laughs.Yes i know these films are for the die hard fans who definitely swooned in the audience and obnoxiously blurted out plot twists.But i sat there for the most part waiting for something to happen.
There are some entertaining moments especially when the film enters Rosemary's baby territory,but it sure felt like a lot was edited to keep a PG-13 rating.The Wolves looked a bit more impressive this time around though some of the other SFX looked choppy.
I think i will leave Breaking Dawn part 2 to the die hards.
Scale of 1-10 a 6

Last edited by anakinsrise; 11-21-2011 at 09:21 AM..
Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 AM

8/10
Old 11-21-2011, 10:39 AM
City Heat (1984)

Two major Hollywood tough guy legends team together for this 30's period set comedy/crime thriller which doesn't quite get there.

Its basically an buddy action flick but for some reason they have forgotten to include some action haha there is allot of dialog and its all pretty dull, everything looks damn fine to be truthful though. All the sets, costumes and cars look really nice and compete easily with say...'The Untouchables' but as usual Eastwood plays his usual cliched tough guy with no rules whilst Reynolds fairs better with some reasonable laughs as the smooth talking danger magnet who is also handy with his dukes.

Bit of a flop when released and I can see why as this really does stand out as a missed chance for a good film, the blend does work almost but its just lacking some originality and punch.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Margin Call -8/10
Great performances across the board, great script with the best dialogue of the year, really has a handle on its topical subject. Hope this doesn't go ignored.

Carnage -7.5/10
Loses a bit of steam near the end as it starts to get repetitive even after a mere 70 minutes, but otherwise this is an incredibly fast-paced, very engaging four-way dialogue between four great actors given strong parts and a simple premise to work with. It's also the funniest movie I've seen this year. Think Virginia Woolf?/Tape with more barfing and Christoph Waltz stealing scenes.

J. Edgar -walked out
Wasn't awful, but at the end of a long day wasn't good enough to keep me in my seat. Just kinda boring and I felt it went way too easy on Hoover, which contributed to it feeling by-the-numbers even though the story has incredible potential.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:35 PM
I am so excited to see Carnage, I hope it doesn't take too long to expand here. The play was one of my absolute favorites.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
J. Edgar -walked out
Wasn't awful, but at the end of a long day wasn't good enough to keep me in my seat. Just kinda boring and I felt it went way too easy on Hoover, which contributed to it feeling by-the-numbers even though the story has incredible potential.
Hahahaha
Old 11-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Edge of the City with Sidney Poitier and John Cassavetes - Two longshoreman of different races become friends and face trouble at work and have romances with two women. This film really deals with race and friendship well and the fight and its consequences are some of the best scenes I've seen in a while. Two excellent performances highlight this film but people like Jack Warden and Ruby Dee also give solid support. I highly recommend this one. 9/10

Politics of Love - During the 2008 presidential campaign two staffers from opposite sides and different backgrounds fall for each other. The story was a bit weak but I liked Mallika Sherawat. This is the first movie I've seen of hers and I think I'll check out some of her Bollywood films. 5/10
Old 11-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacaskill View Post
Edge of the City with Sidney Poitier and John Cassavetes - Two longshoreman of different races become friends and face trouble at work and have romances with two women. This film really deals with race and friendship well and the fight and its consequences are some of the best scenes I've seen in a while. Two excellent performances highlight this film but people like Jack Warden and Ruby Dee also give solid support. I highly recommend this one. 9/10
I completely agree with your review. The movie really surprised me.
Closed Thread