Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Vampirella (1996)

Absolutely terrible film that is a B-movie in every sense, possibly lower. Everything in this film is hilariously bad, the acting (if you can call it that) is virtually pantomime. Soto as Vampirella doesn't even look the part clad in her watered down costume that clearly was made not to be as raunchy as the comicbook.
Daltrey hams it up perfectly but the problem is you can tell he is actually trying! the ham is high but its merely bad performances from people who clearly act in fluff on a regular basis, hell its so lame even the actors can't talk properly with their vamp fangs in hehe.

Effects you say? what effects, there are no real effects here in any sense, what there is is so poor I won't even bother to comment, not even the makeup looks good. In fact its fair to say that allot of the film looks like its been made by fanboys on a very limited budget (in which case it would be OK), or you could say it looks like some kids halloween home movie. Watching Daltrey run around with his Walmart cape on, flapping it around with his god awful eye shadow and lipstick is quite a treat really.

This really is bottom of the barrel stuff, not too far off a modern Ed Wood feature really, watch for laughs only and keep an eye out for a surprise cameo by John Landis for some reason, why John why??.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:40 PM
scarface[1983]

3.5/5

a decent gangster movie but nothing else. Cheesy music and boring in certain areas
Old 11-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Dead Man's Curve - Lackluster film about college students trying to get their roommate to commit suicide in order to get a 4.0 GPA for the semester. All of the double crosses got tiresome after a while and the acting was pretty bad. 4/10

Logan's Run - A cheesy but fun sci-fi film starring Michael York. The effects were terrible by today's standards but the film has a certain charm to it and it was never boring. 7/10
Old 11-27-2011, 09:06 PM
horrible bosses[2011]

3.5/5

a decent comedy. it was the bosses and charlie day that made this movie. It was nice to see jennifer play something different.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:30 AM

The Illusionist(2006)-8/10
Old 11-28-2011, 05:54 AM

one of the many classics from my childhood

8/10
Old 11-28-2011, 06:30 AM
FRIGHT NIGHT (2011)

I was very pleasantly surprised by this. Colin Farrel looked awesomely hot (usually he doesn't) in this, and it was hilarious seeing him chew up each scene, mugging for the camera with his half-smile and crusty half-squinted piercing stare. David Tennant was funny as well. Anton Yelchin was also very solid as the lead.
What I found more impressive is how this was a remake done right; it took only a fraction of the original material and went its' own way. Even better is to find that their "own way" was good! The vampire genre (along with zombies and werewolves) has been getting pretty stale these last 5 years - for reasons many can name, especially that one accursed franchise that I won't mention here - and it was nice to see a movie take to the older framework of the vampire mythos - thanks of course, to the inspiration of the awesome original FRIGHT NIGHT.

Of course it wasn't perfect. I would have been more enthralled with the desert car chase sequence if it wasn't done up on a horrible green screen. Also, practical effects for some of the vampire work would have made it even more enjoyable to my eyes. However, FRIGHT NIGHT managed to keep tongue placed in cheek without being too cheeky. It's just a fun time and I recommend it even if you're pissed at the idea of yet another remake. Every once in a while, things turn out OK.

7/10
Old 11-28-2011, 07:09 AM

Paul
6/10
Old 11-28-2011, 07:46 AM
another epic film from my childhood

8/10
Old 11-28-2011, 09:59 AM
The Santa Clause 7/10
Old 11-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Footloose ('11) - 3/10
Igor - 6/10
Old 11-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Kontroll (2003)

Rewatch - 8/10

This movie is about a group of ticket inspectors working in a subway station in Hungary. They take a lot of shit from the passengers who have to show their tickets to them, but that's not the worst of their problems. There is a hooded figure going around and pushing people in front of the trains.

Creepy film with a unique setting.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbs View Post
Vampirella (1996)

Absolutely terrible film that is a B-movie in every sense, possibly lower. Everything in this film is hilariously bad, the acting (if you can call it that) is virtually pantomime. Soto as Vampirella doesn't even look the part clad in her watered down costume that clearly was made not to be as raunchy as the comicbook.
Daltrey hams it up perfectly but the problem is you can tell he is actually trying! the ham is high but its merely bad performances from people who clearly act in fluff on a regular basis, hell its so lame even the actors can't talk properly with their vamp fangs in hehe.

Effects you say? what effects, there are no real effects here in any sense, what there is is so poor I won't even bother to comment, not even the makeup looks good. In fact its fair to say that allot of the film looks like its been made by fanboys on a very limited budget (in which case it would be OK), or you could say it looks like some kids halloween home movie. Watching Daltrey run around with his Walmart cape on, flapping it around with his god awful eye shadow and lipstick is quite a treat really.

This really is bottom of the barrel stuff, not too far off a modern Ed Wood feature really, watch for laughs only and keep an eye out for a surprise cameo by John Landis for some reason, why John why??.
There's a Vampirella movie? I remember reading the comic books and never knew they made a movie. Does anyone aprove of a reboot?

7/10
Old 11-28-2011, 12:02 PM
I watched parts of all three Lord of the Rings on Encore pretty much all weekend long. never more than 1 hour at a time, but I must have watched like 12 hours of them all together.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:02 PM
George Harrison: Living in a Material World (8/10)
Boy A (8/10)
Old 11-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Neds - 2/10
One Day - 6/10
Old 11-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Immortals (5/10)
At least it wasn't as bad as 300. Some nice visuals, a decent (and hot as hell) lead actor in Henry Cavill, and a fast pace make it entertaining enough, but it's also really flawed. None of the action sequences were particularly as epic as they should've been. Greek mythology I've always found interesting, but it wasn't in this film. The integration of the titular gods' themselves feels kind of wasted. Zeus is an interesting character, but he and his family are only sporadically involved in the goings-on, making the title something of a mislead. The use of them, particularly in battle sequences, is a letdown. Mickey Rourke does an okay job as villain, but there are too many scenes pushing how EVIL HE IS (Rourke kills hero's mother, Rourke gouges someone's eyes out, Rourke kills his own men, etc.). Not a particularly interesting character - just a brutal one. Frieda Pinto doesn't make much of an impression at all in her second high-profile role of the year. She was dull in Rise of the Planet of the Apes too, and with more required of her in this role - she's a luminous oracle with the weight of the world on her shoulders - her somewhat lackluster performance is more noteworthy. She's beautiful and all, but I'm personally surprised that a so-so 15-minute showing in Slumdog Millionaire has given her real star status to get roles like this. Her romance with Cavill is totally undercooked, too, and comes out of nowhere.

And don't even get me started on that stupid ending. Talk about trying overly-hard to set up a sequel. The final shot was meant to be cool, but it looked laughable IMO.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Tekken: Blood Vengeance - 6/10
Old 11-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAngel View Post
There's a Vampirella movie? I remember reading the comic books and never knew they made a movie. Does anyone aprove of a reboot?

7/10
Yeah I'd go for a reboot IF it was adult and dark as it should be with Vampirella in a good tight g-string outfit as in the comicbooks. The outfit in this film is a joke.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118063/

http://www.kavusclub.it/Amministra/p...a_fullsuit.jpg
Check this outfit lol! lack of large tits springs to mind straight away

Batman the Movie (1966)

Classic stuff from the daring duo, looks brilliantly colourful, virtually technicolour, and wonderfully hammy n camp but we all know that. I loved this as a kid, LOVED it! haha all the baddies together was great and the action sequences were bigger and longer, loved the submarine fight at the end.
It was actually a decent little plot too managing to incorporate so much yet seem just right, including virtually every Bat vehicle you could think of.

The cast is of course legendary and they all play their roles so well, ham yes, cheese yes, but still they are quite convincing and scary for a youngster (I know haha).

Its basically a huge pantomime where everyone is really relishing their roles and having a good time trying to out shine their fellow performers, but in a friendly way. Modern kids will probably hate it and laugh and I can guess I can understand that, this really is for the older retro generation brought up on basic TV and the very young, its what Schumacher tried to do with 'Batman and Robin' yet failed, show your young kids this instead.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:40 PM
House of Pleasures (L'Apollonide)

Have you guys checked out HOUSE OF PLEASURES (L’Apollonide) yet? It's a story of a turn of the century Parisian brothel. The movie is dark, dramatic, violent, disillusioned and so cinematically well done. Definitely worth watching!
Old 11-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Pre-release
New Year's Eve (2011)
We Bought a Zoo

Post-release
Easy (2003) B
Uncovered (1995) D+
Old 11-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Plan 9 From Outer Space 4/10

6/10

Last edited by MidnightAngel; 11-28-2011 at 06:42 PM..
Old 11-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Inside Daisy Clover with Natalie Wood - It's nice to see Wood in a role like this playing an aspiring actress who is broken down by everyone she comes in contact with including producers, a husband who turns out to be gay, and her supposedly mentally unstable mother. She did a really good job and i liked Redford as the husband who is also an actor who's image is crafted for him. 7/10
Old 11-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Toy Story 2

Pixar’s third movie and first sequel. A tall order for any filmmaker to tackle, but John Lasseter and his team excel in every way imaginable by delivering a successor that ups the ante in terms of character, humor, emotional weight and of course the beautiful animation that’s slightly more polished than the first Story. Is it better, though? Hard to say. Everyone’s gonna have an opinion, but I doubt anyone could fail to be at least charmed by this series on some level, if the resonant themes of enduring friendship and realizing what's important in life doesn't hit you where the heart is first. All in all, it’s an instant classic like the original and a rare sequel improvement, this time pitting Woody, Buzz and the gang against a fat dweeb toy collector voiced by legendary arch comic villain Wayne Knight, bringing everything Newman and then some to the part alongside Hanks, Allen et al.

-> 9/10

Toy Story 3

Just as funny, sweet, and gorgeously animated as any predecessor or contemporary in its wake (and moreso at this stage of CG’s evolution, obviously), and happens to now be my favorite of the trilogy. Others will likely go with the worthy original, but ultimately I think this was the perfect sendoff to the characters we all fell in love with, probably moreso for us older set who grew up on the first movie specifically. The theme of friendship and sticking together till the end still runs strong through this moving final entry, but does something a little different to distinguish itself from the traditional rescue operations of the first two. As such, it turns into a pretty clever prison break scenario, with another great villain voiced by Ned Beatty (and a fucking pink teddy bear that smells like strawberries? How brilliant is that? Haha…), "Spanish Mode" Buzz Lightyear, and last but not least Michael Keaton as Barbie's Ken. His "torture" scene was hilarious. Add on top of all that a powerful ending that I'd be lying if I said it didn't jerk a tear or two close to the surface, and you have a perfect animated package.

-> 10/10
Old 11-28-2011, 09:48 PM

8/10
Old 11-29-2011, 12:23 AM

Take Shelter - 9/10
Old 11-29-2011, 12:35 AM

Hollywoodland(2006)-8/10
Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 AM

The Descendants(2011)-8/10
Old 11-29-2011, 02:30 AM

Silent Hill(2006)-8/10
Old 11-29-2011, 08:44 AM
J. Edgar - 4/10
DiCaprio should get the award for worst performance of the year.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Moneyball - 8/10
Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Hey, everyone!

Back from the dead to post some reviews of films I've seen over the past few months. My semester is coming to a close so I will have more time to get back into the swing of things around here! Here we go:

Shame (Steve McQueen, 2011) - Fascinating imagery. McQueen has an incredible eye for composition. Michael Fassbender is phenomenal, as is Carey Mulligan. A difficult film, but a very rewarding one.

8/10.

The Ides of March (George Clooney, 2011) - Political intrigue, backstabbing, betrayal, dark secrets... this film has it all. Great, twisty thriller with a juicy plot, fantastic performances from everyone, and solid cinematography/score to go along with it. All in all, really entertaining stuff. Clooney proves once again that he is an incredibly capable filmmaker, and actor. But this is Gosling's show. He's having one hell of a year! Props to Philip Seymour Hoffman and Paul Giamatti as well.

8/10.

Margin Call (J.C. Chandor, 2011) - Very interesting stuff. Really subdued but very effective (and extremely topical) thriller. Impressive filmmaking on an extremely low budget. Fantastic cast, too. The Brits steal the show, though: Paul Bettany especially gets the MVP award. And it's just great to see Jeremy Irons in a film again. Zachary Quinto also shows great potential. And Kevin Spacey is... well, he's Kevin Spacey.

8/10.

Martha Marcy May Marlene (Sean Durkin, 2011) - Very interesting work. Light on plot but heavy on mood, atmosphere, and a constant, haunting sense of unease. Phenomenal lead performance from Elizabeth Olsen, and truly beautiful cinematography. Leaves you wondering about a lot of things and asks more questions than it answers, but it's so intriguing and mysterious and fascinating, the open-endedness never feels like a cop-out. The way the filmmakers balance the two different timelines is also quite fascinating.

8/10.

The Descendants (Alexander Payne, 2011) - Another home run from Alexander Payne. Tender, honest, personal; it lacks the powerful punch of his earlier work but, like Sideways, is a more mature, subdued, character-driven work. Clooney is incredible, and the rest of the cast are all solid. Funny, sad, touching, dramatic without ever getting too overly sentimental. Beautiful, realistic depiction of Hawaii, too; probably the best captured on film yet.

9/10.

Hugo (Martin Scorsese, 2011) - Pure magic. After a career of re-defining movies as we know them, Scorsese goes back to his roots and makes a film that is at once a prime example of the most state-of-the-art modern-day moviemaking techniques, and at the same time, a big, beautiful, unabashed love letter to the early days of cinema and the films that a young Scorsese saw and was inspired by. Wonderful on every level.

9/10.

Melancholia (Lars von Trier, 2011) - Lars fills this film with a lot of interesting ideas; the imagery is stunningly beautiful and the acting is superb. However, by the end you don't get the sense that any of this is really adding up to anything, and the irreconcilable disconnect between the two halves of the film is extremely detracting.

7/10.

The Muppets (James Bobin, 2011) - Wonderful fun! A goofy, shamelessly self-aware love letter to the classic Muppets we all know and love. Clever humor, great cameos, wonderful songs (written by Bret McKenzie no less!), charming performances... all we could have wanted and expected from a Muppets movie. Jason Segel is surprisingly adept at this genre, and Amy Adams is just unbelievably lovable - her performance here harkens back to her Enchanted days. The musical numbers are excellent and in all, the film just leaves you with a grin on your face throughout its entire runtime.

8/10.

The Help (Tate Taylor, 2011) - Handsomely produced, well shot and very well acted, especially by Viola Davis - Jessica Chastain is another standout, and between this and 50/50, Bryce Dallas Howard has emerged as a sensational villainess. Ultimately, though, this is a safe, simplistic film that takes a preachy, fairy tale, glossed-over look at a real issue and doesn't actually delve into it at all. Also, no protagonist! The film spends half the time with Viola Davis and the other half with Emma Stone but never actually takes a clear point of view and doesn't provide closure for either character.

6/10.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (Thomas Alfredson, 2011) - Positively brilliant on all levels. The acting is superb from the entire cast, but Gary Oldman definitely takes MVP as the ringleader of the whole operation. The man deserves an Oscar this year for this calculated, subdued performance. Alfredson's directing is adept and confident; the film has a very distinct and absolutely beautiful look, with deep shadows, subdued colors and grainy film stock all working together to emulate a very classic 70's spy thriller style. The entire film is shot with telephoto lenses to really increase the tension and create a sense of voyeurism. It's a slow, meticulous piece of work that requires a lot of patience and close attention from the audience; but if you put in the work, you will reap the rewards, in spades. My favorite film of the year so far.

9/10.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Sleeping Beauty

I watched Sleeping Beauty with Emily Browning last night. I’ve got to say this movie is cinematically beautiful and definitely had me thinking about sexual stereotypes and the societal demands on women throughout the length of the film. Do you guys agree? This movie is certainly one worth watching!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	384448_272372299466495_138743449496048_674331_1572783961_n.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	9681  
Old 11-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post

The Help (Tate Taylor, 2011) - no protagonist! The film spends half the time with Viola Davis and the other half with Emma Stone but never actually takes a clear point of view and doesn't provide closure for either character.

6/10.
Totally agree. Baffles me how Davis can be considered the "Best Actress frontrunner" when she isn't even the driving force of the story for half the movie. To me, she felt more like Supporting.

Last night:

P2 (7/10)
Nothing remarkable but a solid thriller with some really suspenseful set-pieces.

Kung Fu Panda 2 (8/10)
Better than the first film. The father-son relationship was quite moving as was the development of Po as a character. The flashbacks to his past were heartbreaking. The animation here was also incredible, both films in this series just look gorgeous. Action sequences were all mega-cool and the film was often laugh-out-loud funny. Best of all, Gary Oldman voices the hilarious peacock villain. He should do this kinda work more often.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:08 PM
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - While not the most realistic of war films there was a pretty good story dealing with the two lead characters - one a British soldier and the other German - and their struggles during the Boer War and the two World Wars. Deborah Kerr was pretty decent in her three different roles in the different time periods as well. 7/10

30 Minutes or Less - It was a lowbrow comedy but there was still a few funny moments. The robbery was one of the better moments. 5/10
Old 11-29-2011, 08:41 PM
I Huckabees

If a case ever had to be made against movies in love with their own quirkiness, this would be the first thing subpoenaed. Though to be fair, Juno would probably be the defendant. Doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy a lot of what this existential farce had to offer, namely the performances from its terrific cast (especially Dustin Hoffman and Lily Tomlin as the nutty “existential detectives”), the creative direction with kooky accoutrements from David O. Russell, and the central question of existence that propels it – does it all mean anything, or nothing? It’s a question without a conceivable answer, but the fun is in watching these vain, tortured, vapid and/or amusingly oblivious people drive themselves batty trying to make heads or tails of it. In spite of Jude Law’s dodgy American accent, and that it isn't for everyone... or hell, most anyone... it was still actually rather entertaining.

-> 7/10
Old 11-29-2011, 08:58 PM

8/10

Grindhouse by way of Troma. Insanely whacked out, ridiculously silly, low brow in all the right ways and often hilarious. Some of the acting isn't all that great but in a film that is meant to be so overtly goofy that's easy to forgive. I live for movies like these and this did not disappoint. Props to Adam Green for easily making the most hilarious and clever skit of the film with The Diary of Anne Frankenstein. Adam Rifkin comes in at second with Wadzilla. A gloriously slap-stick send up to 50's giant monster movies. Then Lynch's wrap around story of Zom-B-Movie as third. Gory and tasteless with enough nods and references to classic flicks to fill up two movies. Then Sullivan's I Was A Teenage Werebear comes in last place. It's not last because of its subject matter, it's last simply because it's the most disjointed and story of the lot. It wasn't as tightly scripted as the other three. The lightening was also annoying. I'm sure it was purposeful but the colors and tone of the lighting seemed to change drastically all the time and it become somewhat of a peeve for me. Still, it was mostly fun and the "Red Rocket" kill had me in stitches.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:03 PM

6/10

Long live 1970's cheesy cult cinema.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlegend23 View Post
Totally agree. Baffles me how Davis can be considered the "Best Actress frontrunner" when she isn't even the driving force of the story for half the movie. To me, she felt more like Supporting.
I know! When I saw Davis' name pop up recently in discussions, I was really surprised. I didn't even know she was in contention for Best Actress. It totally reads like a supporting role in the film, especially since it's such an ensemble effort. Honestly, I don't think she has any more screen time than Emma Stone, whose character SHOULD be the driving force of the movie (logically) but isn't present enough to actually be. I dunno, I just really felt that the film had a problem with choosing and sticking to a single POV...!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
I know! When I saw Davis' name pop up recently in discussions, I was really surprised. I didn't even know she was in contention for Best Actress. It totally reads like a supporting role in the film, especially since it's such an ensemble effort. Honestly, I don't think she has any more screen time than Emma Stone, whose character SHOULD be the driving force of the movie (logically) but isn't present enough to actually be. I dunno, I just really felt that the film had a problem with choosing and sticking to a single POV...!
The movie is narrated by Davis's character. It's told through her character's perspective more than anything anyone else IMO. That's why she is as much the lead IMO as Emma Stone's character.

I also disagree that there is no closure for either Davis or Stone.

Last edited by ilovemovies; 11-29-2011 at 10:39 PM..
Closed Thread