Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Rampart (7/10)
Old 12-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Gang of Roses (2003)

A kind of blingy, over the top MTV style cowgirl flick aimed at a young black audience which again takes the notion used in the brat pack western 'Young Guns'.

The cast is includes some popular singers such as Bobby Brown and Lil' kim which does give an indication of what to expect really. The action along with the films look is slightly cheap and basic looking, poor stunts, silly costumes and on the whole generally unrealistic and silly overall.

I can't put the film down for this as its clear from the start what the film aims to be, its almost comicbook-like and not to be taken seriously but at the same time the cast do really try their best which does make them look rather daft hehe. Full of your regular western cliches adding nothing new and trying a bit too hard to be a slick action film.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Horrible Bosses-7/10
The Devil's Double-7/10
Old 12-02-2011, 10:52 PM

Thunderball(1965)-8/10
Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Jeanne Eagels with Kim Novak - This biopic of an early 20th actress has a few good moments but there didn't seem to be enough material for a full length film and it did drag on. Novak did the best she could with the material and she did look really good but the film was a bit boring at times. 5/10

Promise Her Anything with Warren Beatty and Leslie Caron - This romcom isn't nearly as predictable as many more modern stories. I didn't really know if Caron would end up with Beatty or not after he started using her child in his films. There are some really obvious green screens being used at the end when Beatty tries to save the child but overall it was a pretty good story. 7/10
Old 12-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Jack And Jill - 3/10
Old 12-03-2011, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
Jack And Jill - 3/10
2 better than I gave it! lol

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan(2006)-8/10
Old 12-03-2011, 10:54 AM
127 Hours-8/10
Old 12-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Killer Klowns From Kansas On Krack - 1/10
Ray The Rooster - 1/10
Charles E. Cullen is either a troll or the worst director ever.

Quadrophenia - 6/10
Old 12-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Playing catch up with some 2011 releases...

Margin Call - 7/10
Tyrannosaur - 8/10
Old 12-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Hard Eight (8/10)
Old 12-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Always Leave Them Laughing with Milton Berle - An ambitious comic will stop at nothing to become a success. Many of the skits fell flat even if the story was a pretty good one. Since the film is supposed to be about comedy first and foremost I can't give a very high rating. 5/10

Troy - What a piece of crap. The battle scenes were ridiculous and I'm guessing that's what was supposed to draw the crowds since many of the people in the film can't act at all like Eric Bana and Orlando Bloom and the rest didn't even try. If it wasn't for Diane Kruger and the few good actors like Brendan Gleeson and Peter O'Toole I wouldn't have even finished watching this. 3/10

Employee of the Month (2004) - This film about a man who hits rock bottom and ends up involved in a bank robbery takes some interesting turns later on. Even though I don't like Matt Dillon the rest of the cast was decent especially Christina Applegate and Dave Foley. 7/10

Melancholia - This was a really good film. Kirsten Dunst was fantastic and I see why she won Best Actress at Cannes. I often like contemplative films like this such as Solaris and 2001. I realize this isn't really sci-fi like those but they're the first films that came to mind when I thought of the pace and mood. This is more about drama and how characters deal with the coming apocalypse. 9/10
Old 12-03-2011, 08:58 PM

8/10
Old 12-03-2011, 09:16 PM

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest
7/10
Old 12-03-2011, 10:19 PM

You Only Live Twice(1967)-7/10
Old 12-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Harry Brown (9/10)
Old 12-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Cowboys & Aliens

7/10
Old 12-04-2011, 01:04 AM

Thank You for Smoking(2006)-8/10
Old 12-04-2011, 01:16 AM
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (6/10)
Old 12-04-2011, 03:20 AM
Jack and Jill - *

I wish I could say this is the worst Adam Sandler movie but as awful as it is, I still don't think it quite reaches the level of ineptitude that 8 Crazy Nights was able to reach. But, not sure I'll ever be able to see Al Pacino in quite the same way! I mean, on one hand, I suppose he deserves some kind of kudos for going all the way with the role and actually getting into the spirit of things. This isn't a phoned in performance, he actually puts an effort in. But, on the other hand, there is something really disheartening watching him humiliate the hell out of himself in this. At least Katie Holmes made the wise choice of deciding not to stand out and stayed in the background for the most part. Still, the Dunkacino commercial, I still can't decide if that was brilliant or one of the worst things I have ever seen!
Old 12-04-2011, 03:39 AM
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (7/10)
Old 12-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Blue Valentine-9/10
Crazy, Stupid, Love- 8/10
Old 12-04-2011, 01:59 PM

The Muppets - 8/10

This is honestly one of the best films of the year. In a year filled with films about remembering and appreciating things that used to be popular, The Muppets stands proudly amongst films like Hugo and The Artist. While the former is kind of on another level, I found the plot of The Muppets to be much more satisfying than The Artist. The Muppets doesn't have a complex plot or anything, but it is structured and developed in such a manner that the film doesn't just rely on charm. The way we see the doom and gloom of the fading Muppets Studio and how Walter's story weaves into its resurrection was very well done. The montage of getting the gang back together was pitch perfect. It is also absolutely hilarious, whether it be the self-aware and incredibly catchy musical numbers, Animal's anger management stint, or Fozzie cracking jokes like it's 1980 again... I was laughing heartily throughout. I'm sure there are plenty of funny moments that I didn't catch that I'll pick up on when I re-watch it (I seemed to be the only one who laughed when the power went out and Fozzie said, "Anyone got any bright ideas?"). I also loved how the story is kind of paralleling the film's current success. The Muppets have been kind of non-existent for over a decade, and like in the plot, they are now back and enjoying success ($56 million at the box-office so far). I can't wait to see it again.

Arthur Christmas - 7/10

Very enjoyable film with a great twist on a familiar plot. The voice cast is terrific and the British humor was refreshing in comparison to a lot of the humor used in modern animated films. It probably could have been trimmed by about 10 minutes or so, because it gets slightly repetitive in the middle, but overall it is a very entertaining, quite unique and gorgeously animated film. If you are in the mood for a Christmas movie, check it out.

Last edited by Bourne101; 12-04-2011 at 02:11 PM..
Old 12-04-2011, 03:33 PM

Rampart - 6/10

It's nice to see that Oren Moverman hasn't learned anything since The Messenger. All the problems that plagued that movie from the awful pacing to the weird stylistic choices are here again. The movie clocks in at about 100 minutes but towards the end it starts feeling like it's about an hour longer. This is mostly because of the way that the movie lays everything out at the beginning and then does nothing else but hammer the same message repeatedly until the ending. We get plenty of scenes with Harrelson fighting with his daughters, his ex-wives, his girlfriend (these scenes were the most embarrassing), his mentor, his boss, etc. and all we get out of them is that his life/career are going to come crashing down very soon. It gets frustrating and by the end when we see yet another scene with Harrelson being a bad father it's more grating than effective. Moverman also doesn't seem to have any real sense of style since Rampart randomly switches between stylistic crane/dolly shots and a handheld style. There are a lot of weird choices here (see the scene where Steve Buscemi, Sigourney Weaver and Woody Harrelson have a meeting) and it just makes the whole thing feel like a giant mess. There's also a shit ton of overcasting here but everyone does a good job with their roles. Rampart isn't really a bad movie but it's heavily flawed and is nothing more than an overlong Oscar submission for Woody Harrelson.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:36 PM
I don't get it though, is Rampart a comedy or what. When I saw the trailer it gave off that feeling like this was a joke. What's the deal, drama / comedy? Dramedy? lol
Old 12-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Definite drama, I enjoyed it more than Someguy, gave it a 7 but it really, to me, didn't offer much more than Harrelson's performance and his interesting character.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
I don't get it though, is Rampart a comedy or what. When I saw the trailer it gave off that feeling like this was a joke. What's the deal, drama / comedy? Dramedy? lol
Haven't seen the trailer, but it's definitely not a comedy. Definitely a drama.

Also, while I enjoyed the movie more than someguy and Hucksta, reflections of some of its problems have made me drop my rating from a 9 to an 8. I definitely agree with someguy that it has pacing issues, and some of the stylistic choices are odd. However, as a whole I think it's a pretty powerful piece of work and Harrelson gives the best male performance that I've seen this year.

Last edited by Bourne101; 12-04-2011 at 03:44 PM..
Old 12-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Hunger (8/10)
That one long take was a seriously impressive bit of direction and acting. Masterful work from Fassbender here throughout.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Hard Candy-9/10
Old 12-04-2011, 06:35 PM
The Dilemma (6/10)
I don't think this was half as bad as it's made out to be. I enjoyed the premise and the performances of the four leads. It got a bit sappy in places (especially the ice hockey ending scene) and needed a bit of editing (thought Vaughn's toast would never end), but a decent romantic comedy overall.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:17 PM
The Unknown ('27) - 9/10
Old 12-04-2011, 08:10 PM
30 Minutes Or Less

With an Eisenberg performance like most that have come before it, Iím just gonna go ahead and call this Pizzaland. Throw in Aziz Ansari, a guy who with his manic eyes, caffeinated outbursts and wild gesticulations that come with no sense of proportion to any given situation, doesnít quite fit the starring role yet, and what we have is a classic mixed bag of comedy. Most of it hit for me, some of it missed, but you might say itís easy to forget in 30 minu- ahhhh. See what I did there? Almost stepped in a steaming pile of clichť. Not this guy. Not today. So what else needs to be said here? If youíre a fan of Danny McBride and his one character that jumps from movie to movie with mullet and goatee intact, then Iíd say check it out for a fun, quick ride that delivers most of what it promises in its flimsy premise. Just donít expect any extra toppings.

-> 6/10
Old 12-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Pushover with Kim Novak and Fred MacMurray - A solid noir with MacMurray plating a similar role to the one he portrayed in Double Indemnity. Novak is good in one of her first roles as the girlfriend of a bank robber that the police are looking for. The story may be a bit predictable but the performances and the directing are well done. 7/10

Hot Tamale - Other than Diora Baird there isn't much reason to watch this. The lead actor is bad as well as his friend who lets him stay at the apartment. Anytime Carmen Electra shows up in a film - even in a small role - you know the film is going to be pretty bad. 3/10
Old 12-04-2011, 10:36 PM

On Her Majesty's Secret Service(1969)-7/10
Old 12-05-2011, 01:46 AM
The Thing (2011)

The anticipation and final outcome of this prequel have been split right down the middle, was it a good idea in the first place?, should it have been a sequel with Russell? or perhaps completely remade, opinions differ hugely.

For me this has not been as bad as I expected in all honesty, I have seen much worse in recent years with the influx of reboots and remakes and this prequel isn't all that bad.

Yes the big wigs have been rather crafty, they wanted a sequel but decided not to out of fear I think haha, same for remake, why remake a cult? instead they turned to a prequel which basically gave them the oppertunity to make another which was pretty much more of the same but with an excuse.

So yes its more of the same and it all looks the same seeing as its set right before the original, OK no problem. The look is good, sets are good, costume is good, it all looks really real, cold and the cast are actually quite decent, wisely using unknowns for the majority. I also liked the kind of 'Alien' feel to the build up with Winstead clearly having a Ripley type character of sorts.

Problem one of course is the effects, personally I think its a mixed bag, its all cgi of course but some of it looks pretty good whilst other bits look poor. I think the effects department (including Woodruff Jr.) did a good job in trying to create the creature around what was hinted at in brief moments of the original whilst also trying to keep it in tone with the creature we have seen already and at the same time making it different. I think the 'Juliette-thing' looked really good simply as a huge razor teethed gaping maw on legs with her head dangling round the back and there are some nice moments such as Griggs starting to transform. Unfortunately the rest does seem rather unoriginal and dull simply utilizing the age old tentacles notion that doesn't really fit with the original and with later designs that looked like a Sarlacc with legs or something from the 'Resident Evil' franchise.

One thing that did disappoint me was the lack of info on the creature, I was really hoping for some insight on its background, where it may have come from, why?, how and why did it crash?, is there an entire race?, why so hostile?, assimilate for food?, what does its original form look like? were there more inside the ship seeing as its so huge?, how did they create such technology originally and how do they pilot the ship in their form? etc...So many questions but you get nothing which is a shame really, maybe some don't wish to know but I'm just real curious

The whole film does seem a little pointless I admit as we can all guess what happened before the creature makes it into Carpenters film, but I do think they addressed the continuity quite well despite one or two issues and I loved how they made this prequel flow perfectly into the old original.

Not really scary or that dark and forboding but its not too far off, not sure what is suppose to have happened to Kate in the end and the whole dog ending also made me think 'why not just run off in that form right from the start?' hehe.

My final thoughts....I quite liked it, better than most are saying methinks. My advice is simply watch this then the original Carpenter film straight afterwards and this film actually does seem allot better than you might have previously thought, they do connect together nicely.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:15 AM
The Ides of March (8/10)
Old 12-05-2011, 04:33 AM
Hello........ :)

COOL.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:01 AM

World Trade Center(2006)-8/10
Old 12-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Prom Night (1980) (5/10)
Decent performance from Jamie Lee Curtis, and it was entertaining enough, but despite that the killer took forever to show up and there is so much unnecessary padding on the paper-thin storyline. The kills, once they finally started happening, were really lame and badly filmed too. The killer wasn't scary in the least, the only slightly unnerving part was the phone calls. And what was up with the music that played when people got killed? Murders to disco music? Spooky...not.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Pre-release
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
The Sitter (2011)
War Horse (2011)

Post-release
Sheitan (2006) C-
Closed Thread