Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 06:53 AM
CONTAGION - 6/10

It was decent, and I actually enjoyed the "science-talk" more than the people or anything else going on. There are a fair number of nit-picky issues I had with it, but overall it wasn't too bad.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:25 AM
Elf (Jon Favreau, 2003) 3 out of 4 stars
This movie is pretty much just an outlet for Will Ferrell's man-child behaviors, but it's still fun. It is played on television way too much, but it's charming and cute so I can forgive it. I think Elf has, deservedly, solidified itself among the other Christmas classics.

The Great Gatsby (Jack Clayton, 1974) 1 out of 4 stars
How could this go so, so, so wrong? The film was written by Francis Ford Coppola and stars great actors like Robert Redford, Mia Farrow, and Sam Waterston, but the script and performances are all incredibly stale. The cinematography and editing is awful. Worst of all, the film is so stale and passionless. I felt like no one gave a crap about the film, which is a shame because it's a great piece of literature.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:02 AM

The best action movie since the last Bourne movie and I would say it's Tom Cruises best movie since Collateral and Minority Report. It's definitely the best of the franchise. I love that this movie really focused on all the characters and not just Cruises. Each one had their stories, it was true ensemble. Much has already been said about the Dubai sequence, and it's I have to say it's all true. The movie is a fantastic ride from start to finish from one heart stopping scene to another. With my review I think I'm going to stop actually giving ratings to movies because I have discovered sometimes I really can't give an accurate rating. So for now on I'm just going to say either I loved it, liked it, it was ok, I didn't like it, or I hated the movie. Then there will be times where I say it was a god awful piece of shit or it was the movie was a masterpiece, which both will rarely happen. This movie definitely falls in to the category of I loved it.

This movie also gives me more excuses to post more pictures of Paula Patton.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Arthur Christmas - 7/10
G Force - 5/10
Old 12-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Inception 7/10
Old 12-24-2011, 12:41 PM

The Departed(2006)-10/10
Old 12-24-2011, 01:57 PM

Saint 7/10
Old 12-24-2011, 04:15 PM
127 hours[2010]

4.5/5

a pretty great one man show from James Franco. really great make-up work during the self-surgury sequence.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:32 PM
I had a John Sayles double feature last night.

Sunshine State (2002) - 7/10

Honeydripper (2007) - 8/10

The movies are definitely longish, but the performances in both are all great, plus some great music from the latter film.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:26 PM
FotR: RETURN OF THE KING - 5/10

DIE HARD - 10/10
Old 12-24-2011, 10:37 PM
The Muppets (9/10)
Conan The Barbarian 2011 (5/10)
Old 12-24-2011, 11:16 PM
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Haven't read the novel, just saw the Swedish adaptation so I've got only these two films to go off of. In comparison, Fincher wins. Really long, but so captivating. It grabs and doesn't let go. I have to concur that the last 20 some minutes felt kind of odd especially when you've got such a climax (beats the original by miles) however does not make the film bad in any way, the gripe may be due to exactly the timing of it. It comes right after that

Wonderfully directed, brooding, beautifully dark atmosphere as only Fincher is able to evoke - as far as I'm concerned. I gotta say, the more I see the man's films the more I see him coming to a legendary status - and once again, in my mind, he already is a legend.

Can't praise Cronenweth enough, his collabs with Fincher, are akin to Nolan / Pfister collabs. They. just. work. Perfect two men whose styles compliment each other.

And lastly, I just loved the very last scene of this film. It's so simple yet conveys so much about Lisbeth.

9/10
Old 12-25-2011, 12:12 AM

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring(2001)-10/10
Old 12-25-2011, 01:38 AM

The Adventures of Tintin (Steven Spielberg, 2011) - Once it gets going, it's classic Spielberg firing on all cylinders: action-packed, relentlessly fast-paced, classically thrilling and gorgeously well-made. The animated camera gives Spielberg the most cinematic freedom he's ever had, and he uses it well: there is one single "unbroken take" sequence near the end that truly takes the breath away, and the constantly moving camera is dynamic and engaging. Foreign lands, intrigue and adventure, cheesy comic relief and a booming John Williams score to boot all make this excellent Spielberg - once it gets going. Unfortunately, it suffers from one major script issue: No set-up! It kind of hits the ground running without ever taking the time to set up the protagonist. In fact, Tintin kind of accidentally stumbles into this entire plot as opposed to a more traditional inciting incident. It makes the entire thing feel a little... arbitrary. There's never anything really at stake for him. In general, I'd say the film is a bit too dialogue-heavy - characters are constantly stating and re-stating the plot and the clues just to make sure we get it. But when Spielberg switches to pure visual storytelling - what he does best - the film is truly great.

RATING: 7.5/10.

Source Code (Duncan Jones, 2011) - Re-watch. Its third act doesn't entirely work, but by god if this film doesn't have one of the strongest first acts in recent memory. We are thrown right into this situation and, right alongside our protagonist Coulter, have no idea what the HELL is going on. The way the script gradually reveals new and vital pieces of information to solve two PARALLEL mysteries - who is bombing the train, and what is the Source Code - is nothing short of genius. The film really loses a lot of its steam once all the chips are put on the table at the end of the second act, and the third act is lackluster not in plot or emotion but rather in character shifts - although it does leave us with a very thought-provoking open-ended ending that raises a lot of questions we are left pondering about. All in all, another home run from Duncan Jones, and one of the smarter studio-backed sci-fi flicks from recent years that proves that you don't need a massive budget and a CGI sensory overload to deliver a good sci-fi entertainment. Let's hope we get more of these.

RATING: 8/10.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:19 AM

10/10
Old 12-25-2011, 09:13 AM
rewatch

7/10

The weakest of the trilogy but watchable. Anyone seen the George Lucas cameo?

6/10

Not as good as the original but it's the only decent sequel of the series.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:43 AM

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers(2002)-10/10
Old 12-25-2011, 11:32 AM
A Christmas Story (Bob Clark, 1983)

Yay!
10/10
Old 12-25-2011, 02:29 PM

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King(2003)-10/10
Old 12-25-2011, 02:40 PM

6/10

7/10
Old 12-25-2011, 08:18 PM
MI 4[2011]

4.5/5

it took nearly all year for a truly great action flick. Brad Bird did a great job. if there is sequel he stays on.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:13 PM

A Separation (Asghar Farhadi, 2011) - Unbelievable. Touches on so many themes it's easy to lose count - family values, what we teach our children, the flimsiness of the judicial system, religion, faith, the repercussions of our actions, what ends we will go to to protect our families, etc. And yet... it never gets preachy, nor are any of these themes ever brought to the foreground. In the foreground is an incredibly, brutally honest and straightforward melodrama between a group of extremely well-rendered and realistic characters suffering though a series of trials and tribulations, all triggered by the titular separation between the main husband and wife. The film progresses at a breakneck pace; the filmmaking is fast-paced and economical. Not over-dramatic, not ham-fisted, not unbearably depressing. Just... real. One of the best films of the year.

RATING: 9/10.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
A Christmas Story (Bob Clark, 1983)

The more family-friendly of Bob Clark’s Christmas collection, and one that I’m ashamed to admit hasn’t been part of my yearly tradition. Warm and fuzzy when it counts, but surprisingly dark of humor, it works on so many levels that everyone should find something to love if they, like me, for some reason haven’t discovered its brilliance yet. The kids will instantly sympathize with Ralphie’s ardent desire to get his grubby hands on that coveted Red Ryder BB gun, the MacGuffin of that general “ultimate gift” that every kid has at that age, and the adults can sit back and laugh vicariously at the shrewd 20/20 insight into their own childhood Christmas through the cheeky narration of Adult Ralphie. As far as much-loved, universally loved holiday classics, this is one of the more fearless, one that isn't afraid of being honest about dad's overt libido in retrospect, or just how much gifts from clueless relatives suck.

-> 9/10
Old 12-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Home Alone[1990]

3/5

a solid christmas movie. great stunt work
Old 12-25-2011, 11:12 PM

It was okay. Every thing about the movie was good except for the script. I don't know if it was because of rewrites or the classic studio tampering and in post-production they cut it down too much. There were a lot of times where I felt there were little scenes that had been cut out that really would have helped the story line. It really wreaked of studio tampering. That said it still is not as bad as what a lot of critics claimed it to be. It was an entertaining action movie with a good lead performance by Ryan Reynolds and the rest of the cast give good performances as well. I think Martin Campbell's direction was good but like I said I think the studio got involved and this movie really never reached it's potential. I would have liked to have seen more of the other Green Lanterns and Hal's training. The special effects were impressive, granted there were a lot of times where the effects looked a little iffy on his suit. I think the movie's lack of success is not due to people tiring of super hero films, I think it's proof that story really does matter in these types of movies and people don't want to see a carbon copy of a movie that just came out a few months ago. People also want to see a superhero movie with a good plot line not something that's holier than a piece of Swiss cheese. I think it's also proof that Hollywood really needs to get away from an all out origins movie. Hopefully Warner Brothers will learn what not to do in the sequel because this should be a good franchise. The character is cool as hell, they can do so much in the world that exists in the story, and Ryan Reynolds is awesome lead. He just has to have something good to work with.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Christmas Vacation

Has been ages since I've seen this and I've got to say it aided in me enjoying it far more than rewatching something every year. It's like watching it for the first time once again.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:17 AM
Saved by the Bell: A Home for Christmas-Part 1&2(1991)

A Christmas Carol(1951)-8/10

Last edited by Puck Bond; 12-26-2011 at 02:21 AM..
Old 12-26-2011, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post

A Separation (Asghar Farhadi, 2011) - Unbelievable. Touches on so many themes it's easy to lose count - family values, what we teach our children, the flimsiness of the judicial system, religion, faith, the repercussions of our actions, what ends we will go to to protect our families, etc. And yet... it never gets preachy, nor are any of these themes ever brought to the foreground. In the foreground is an incredibly, brutally honest and straightforward melodrama between a group of extremely well-rendered and realistic characters suffering though a series of trials and tribulations, all triggered by the titular separation between the main husband and wife. The film progresses at a breakneck pace; the filmmaking is fast-paced and economical. Not over-dramatic, not ham-fisted, not unbearably depressing. Just... real. One of the best films of the year.

RATING: 9/10.
More than any other movie, this is the one I'm looking forward to the most.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Belllflower 6/10
Crime of Passion 7/10
Old 12-26-2011, 10:53 AM
SONS OF ANARCHY: Season 4 - 7/10

I really REALLY wanted to rate this an 8/10, but there are a few really nagging weak points that force me to feel more comfortable knocking it down a point. Most simply put
Spoiler:
I didn't like the ridiculous subplot with Juice, which was ONLY there to force the hand and the big reveal of the other thing I thought was silly, which is the undercover agents.
When I think about it, the whole Juice thing went on for way too long for very little reason. Trejo and Acaveda being undercover agents felt too forced for me, and it merely an excuse to keep Jax in the MC and Clay alive. I just... felt like that didn't make enough sense.
It was also too easy getting Deadwood's Bible-thumper off their backs as well.

I enjoyed the journey even though I have the above complaints and a handful of other all-too-convenient setups that to me doesn't ring true. It was well worth watching, though. I would not NOT recommend it.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:11 AM
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011) - 8/10
Old 12-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
More than any other movie, this is the one I'm looking forward to the most.
It's quite good, at least, I loved it (as you can see by my review). I would highly recommended it to anyone and everyone - if you get a chance to see it, take it!
Old 12-26-2011, 04:00 PM

War Horse (Steven Spielberg, 2011) - Spielberg never shied away from wearing his heart on his sleeve. This is his most unabashedly sentimental film in a very long time, and some people will take issue with that, especially since we've come to expect much darker tones from our films in the past few years, even Spielberg's (his last great film, Munich, was also one of his darkest). This film harkens back to a more old-fashioned style of filmmaking, and for the most part, it works. I had some issues with the tone in the beginning, but once the story actually gets moving and the horse begins to exchange hands, the film really starts to take form. I admire the unorthodox approach to the story; it's more like a series of vignettes all tied together by this horse than it is one single story, and I think that's interesting. The film also lost me a little at the end, but when it works, it works wonderfully. One scene in particular near the end of the film involving a no-man's-land between two enemy trenches is worth the price of admission alone, and is one of the best sequences Spielberg has ever directed. I also expect people to take issue with the over-saturated, stylized lighting and the incredibly dramatic musical score, but for me, it ties into the fairy-tale style Spielberg is going for in the film. Would it be cool to see a gritty, dark, down-and-dirty depiction of the horrors of World War I as opposed to a saccharine, glossy, fairy tale version? Maybe that would have elevated the film into "masterpiece" level instead of having it hover at around "just good". But as it is, it's a beautifully made, shamelessly sentimental and old-fashioned melodrama that is a little uneven, but for the most part, quite the emotional experience, even though it's not Spielberg at his very best.

RATING: 8/10.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Winter in Wartime (7/10)
Cowboys & Aliens (6/10)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (7/10)

Last edited by Hucksta G; 12-26-2011 at 07:44 PM..
Old 12-26-2011, 07:53 PM
The Artist (Michel Hazanavicius, 2011) 4 out of 4 stars
Since seeing The Tree of Life back in July, I didn't think any film could overthrow its title of Jack's Best Film of 2011. Then The Artist came along and blew me away. Give Jean Dujardin a Best Actor nod! He already won Best Actor at the Cannes Film Festival. I would also put this movie up for Best Picture and Bérénice Bejo for Best Supporting Actress. It's a silent film, so it takes a little while to get used to, but once you get into it you hardly remember that it's a silent film. It's got some nice comic relief but is also very sad at parts. Overall, it's incredibly entertaining, and those willing to give it a chance should enjoy it.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (Tomas Alfredson, 2011) 3½ out of 4 stars
The film has a strong cast, including Gary Oldman, Tom Hardy (one of my favorite up-and-coming actors), Colin Firth, Mark Strong, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Toby Jones. The script is also great, with a strong emphasis on smart and intense dialogue. The film would actually score 4 out of 4 stars were it not for the fact that the film is often very difficult to follow. I understood the general plot progression but the little details were confusing. Still, I really liked it for its strong British cast and smart script.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Total Recall

Decided to read the Philip K Dick's short story and rewatch this immediately. Loosely adapted, but still quite a fun, campy, 90's fare. Used to watch this on VHS constantly in the early 00's.

This is so fun, even after all these years, and for pure nostalgic reasons I can't rate it any less than 8
Old 12-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Thor (7/10)
Some of the set-up was a bit too corny (was "Frost Monsters" the best name the comic artist could come up with? ), and the titular character goes through a complete 360-degree-turnaround seemingly thanks entirely to a couple of cutesy scenes with Natalie Portman - they should've developed that further. But it certainly delivered on action and visuals. The special effects were awe-inspiring and some of the best and most ambitious of the year. The 'fish-out-of-water' aspect of the story was very enjoyable and humorous as well. A film like this also benefits from having talent like Stellan Skarsgard and Lizzy Caplan in the supporting cast. Overall, great fun.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:27 PM
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)- 6/10
Old 12-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Urban I believe by Lizzy Caplan, you mean Kat Dennings?

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (6/10)
Old 12-26-2011, 11:10 PM

Red Beard (1965) - 9/10

Another great film from Kurosawa and his final one with Toshiro Mifune.

Targets (1968) - 8/10
Closed Thread