Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Like Crazy - 6/10
Old 01-02-2012, 04:45 PM

8/10
Old 01-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey - 9/10
Old 01-02-2012, 05:21 PM

6/10
Old 01-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Cars 2 - 6.5/10
Old 01-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Cedar Rapids - 8/10 (Rewatch)
Old 01-02-2012, 07:46 PM

9/10
Old 01-02-2012, 08:01 PM
The Change-Up - 8.5/10
Old 01-03-2012, 01:36 AM
A Good Old Fashioned Orgy - 7/10
Old 01-03-2012, 02:12 AM

One Day(2011)-6/10
Old 01-03-2012, 03:17 AM
Card Subject To Change - 9/10
Old 01-03-2012, 03:21 AM
Catching up on some 2011 mainstream flicks I missed in theatres last year...

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (6/10) - so predictable and generic yet enjoyable. An above-average summer blockbuster with a mercifully short runtime (I'm REALLY sick of those CGI extravaganzas with bloated runtimes of 2.5+ hours)

Final Destination 5 (6/10) - same here, business as usual. I'm a sucker for the FD serious, though, and can't get enough of those grisly death scenes I actually guessed the twist ending within the first five minutes when
Spoiler:
I saw the parking lot with lots of 10+ year-old cars and the guy with his crappy old mobile

Trust (7/10) - very good drama with excellent performances. Too bad the distributors are apparently trying to market this film as some kind of revenge thriller which it definitely is NOT. The filmmakers tried to stuff too much in the final act but otherwise the flick succeeds on all levels.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:01 AM
Source Code - 9/10
Old 01-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Hoek View Post

Final Destination 5 (6/10) - same here, business as usual. I'm a sucker for the FD serious, though, and can't get enough of those grisly death scenes I actually guessed the twist ending within the first five minutes when
Spoiler:
I saw the parking lot with lots of 10+ year-old cars and the guy with his crappy old mobile
Yeah, I kinda noticed this, too, but what really pissed me off is
Spoiler:
... how there were HDTVs in the laser eye surgery place, and the security cameras/TVs were LCDs at the factory. No way in HELL that would be the case.
I also started guessing what was going on when the one dude had a Startac phone, and NO ONE ELSE had a cell phone. Then when it was mentioned whats-his-face wanted to go to France, I totally got it. However, I wish they would have kept everything in "the year 2000", and not just enough to barely get by for a twist.

It was an average movie, and for the series in total it was middle of the road, methinks.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:43 AM
you're right, thanks for pointing that out. anyways, compared to FD4 it was a friggin masterpiece

which reminds me of Rise of the Planet of the Apes (which I watched last night before FD5): The James Franco character uses an iMac (2010/11 model) at home. Cut to "3 years later": he is still using the same iMac. Cut to another "5 years later" i.e. we're in the year 2019 by now: still the SAME iMac! Also he doesn't seem to age nor does anyone around him. stuff like that drives me crazy
Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 AM
30 Minutes or Less

Totally ridiculous farce of a comedy that is more of a guilty pleasure than anything Its pretty stupid but admittedly quite amusing in many places, not hilarious but definitely makes you smile.

The duo of Eisenberg and Ansari as the bumbling blackmailed robbers is actually a surprisingly fun pairing that work really well together, the bank robbery is a funny scene and their constant bickering will raise your spirits rest assured. The other winner here is the second duo of McBride and Swardson as the bumbling losers trying to blackmail the other bumbling losers hehe again their dialog is witty and amusing as they talk nonsense getting nowhere fast.

Holds together quite well throughout but apart from a few various sequences its nothing that special, the casting is well thought of for sure but the rest is a bit daft, think along the lines of the film 'Nothing To Lose'.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:06 AM

Eric Bogosian was fucking brilliant in this one. When I watch Stone's older movies I always wonder what in the hell happened because he made some great films.

Last edited by Frosty_86; 01-03-2012 at 10:12 AM..
Old 01-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty_86 View Post

Eric Bogosian was fucking brilliant in this one. When I watch Stone's older movies I always wonder what in the hell happened because he made some great films.
My thoughts exactly. Stone movies were pure gold from mid-eighties to mid-nineties. I particularly love Talk Radio and JFK. *sigh! same thing with Jonathan Demme... one brilliant flick after another and then he did that Oprah Winfrey vanity flick (and no, I didn't like Rachel Getting Married).
Old 01-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Blackthorn 7/10
Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Kill List - 9/10
Old 01-03-2012, 01:17 PM
The Postman Always Rings Twice - Outstanding film noir about two people trying to get away with murdering the woman's husband. It helps that Lana Turner was one of the most stunning women to ever walk the planet but she was a good actress as well and this may be her finest role. 10/10

Double Indemnity - My favorite film. Barbara Stanwyck is my favorite actress and Billy Wilder is my favorite director and writer and there is also Edward G Robinson stealing some scenes. Just outstanding stuff. 10/10

The Third Man - I love Orson Welles' appearance in this film and the story is just so good. The end is a great sequence as well. 10/10

Passage to Marseille - A decent story about convicts escaping and fighting for France during WWII. Humphrey Bogart and Sydney Greenstreet gave my favorite performances and I wasn't expecting the film to end the way it did. 7/10

Cold Comfort Farm - A young woman (Kate Beckinsale) moves in with her backwards relatives on a rundown farm and decides to revitalize the farm and modernize the family's ways. It was a decent film but some of the actors weren't so good. Ian McKellen was pretty funny as the preacher who is always talking about how everyone else is going to burn in Hell. 5/10
Old 01-03-2012, 02:49 PM
The Tree of Life

9/10

Holy shit. What a beautiful film. Even better than I expected. If there were more dinosaurs in this I woulda probably of given it a 10/10
Old 01-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Retreat - 6/10
Old 01-03-2012, 04:26 PM

Easily one of my all time favorite films. I give a watch once a year. There are very films that have hit me emotionally as hard as this one.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Warrior

This is the first film I've seen that focuses around the now popular MMA UFC competitions which involve fighters from around the world in all martial art forms. I found out about MMA a few years ago and was thrilled at the thought, being a JCVD fan since a young age I couldn't believe there was actually a real life legal competition which worked along the lines of the JCVD classic 'Bloodsport'.

Since then I have become hugely disappointed with so called MMA as there is really very little martial arts going on, it all tends to be big men bulldozing each other to ground and simply pounding and hammering each other into the canvas, no skill or MMA anywhere to be seen accept for extreme wrestling, the lighter weights are easily the better fights to watch with more skill involved.

This film does better than reality for the heavy weights as it actually shows some martial art skill being used, not much but its there if you look closely. Its one of the most accurate and realistic fighting films I've seen for along time or ever actually, the director has wisely avoided the cliches and much used ideas along the 'Rocky' route and 'The Karate Kid' route etc...and added awhole load of character building and back story to immerse the viewer.

It is odd why a teacher seems to be some kind of street fighter in his spare time to make extra money (doesn't a teacher pay well in the US?) and how both he and his brother just decide to enter the MMA competition for money when surely there are other easier ways but hey. The story is solid and gives the film a big needed injection of regular life instead of the obvious mindless fighting route other films go down. Plenty of emotion and family values which everyone can relate too but in my humble opinion I just thought there was a bit too much emotion stuck in, O'Connor really crams in as much tear jerking info as he can just in case we forget to cry and realise how sensitive the film is.
One thing after another from the brothers unforgiving history with their father, Tommy Riordan being a big war hero but doesn't like to talk about it and the brothers predictably fighting each other in the final whilst their father looks on.

The performances here are very good, not Oscar material but very good, for me Nolte stands out as the brothers father with a sterling job as he tries to reconcile with his boys. Joel Edgerton as Brendan Conlon also shines here as a father trying to make money to save his home and family with a very down to earth, believeable performance as a regular guy. Hardy as Tommy fits the role as a fighter but his acting doesn't hit the target for me, his pouting throughout and unnecessary 'I'm hard' walk/vibe/persona during fight sequences (especially late on in the film) isn't required, don't show off Hardy, just play it real like Edgerton did.

A fight film with a difference as it actually has a decent plot within it but I wouldn't say its as uplifting or heartbreaking as I've been reading, there are strong emotional qualities along with redemption, forgiveness and reconciliation but at the end of the day I felt more of a rush at the end of 'The Karate Kid' (84) to be honest hehe.

Kudos for one of the most realistic fight films around, kudos for the story but I've seen better drama films that have hit me harder with the tissues. For realism this is one of the best but for all out balls to the wall fighting that will make your jaw drop 'Undisputed 2/3' are still the best fight films for me.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:14 PM

7/10

The latest from the director of The Blues Brothers. It took me out the bad taste left after seeing beverly Hills Cop 3.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Drive (2011)
9/10
Refn continues to be among my favorite filmmakers and the excellent cast nailed it.

Sucker Punch (2011)
6/10
That wasn't half bad. I actually kind of like Snyder when he finds actual uses for his stylizing, especially when that's almost the entire point of the film. Still doesn't forgive Watchmen, though.

The Muppets (2011)
10/10
Sorry Warrior, Rango and Drive. You were contenders, but you were all bested by The Muppets. More than just a truly heartfelt love letter to one of the greatest entertainers of all time and his most popular creation, it was the absolute epitome of a feel good story that left the biggest smile on my face and the biggest impact on me emotionally in quite some time. The "Pictures in My Head" scene alone is the most bittersweet thing I've ever seen. The best film of 2011 for me.

And, fuck yeah, 80's Robot!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:02 PM
watched yesterday on bluray

8/10
Old 01-03-2012, 09:18 PM

8.5/10
Old 01-03-2012, 09:26 PM

Bag of Bones
5/10
Old 01-04-2012, 12:51 AM

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy(2011)-6/10
Old 01-04-2012, 03:14 AM
The Human Centipede II: Full Sequence - 8.5/10

Special When Lit - 8/10

11/11/11 - 5.5/10

Reno 911!: Season 6 - 9/10

Mars Needs Moms - 7/10
Old 01-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJellyfingers View Post

Bag of Bones
5/10
I saw Bag of Bones as well. 4/10
Pretty bad. So sad. I thought the book was pretty good, and although this followed events in the book - more or less - it didn't do it the right way. Introducing the main romantic lead halfway into the series wasn't a good idea at ALL. But that's just one of many faults to it.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Step brothers funnaay 8/10
Old 01-04-2012, 12:50 PM
House of Sand and Fog - A lot of good performances especially by Ben Kingsley. I didn't expect Kingsley's and his wife's story to end the way it did either. 8/10

Te Velocity of Gary - A pretty mediocre film about some down on their luck people in New York that form sort of a dysfunctional family. I only watched this because of Salma Hayek and even she wasn't that great. 4/10
Old 01-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Kill List (8/10) - weirdly violently wacky and disturbing, certainly one of 2011's best films
Old 01-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Salem's Lot (1979)

Now a pretty ancient vampire film and it certainly looks its age these days, made one year after I was born and I've only just got round to seeing it

Adaptation of a well known King novel of which I saw the film version which is simply all the episodes of the mini TV series stuck together into one movie. As said this was originally a TV series and you can see how it has been put together for this film version but that doesn't detract really, it kinda adds a little charm to the proceedings. Its not terribly scary by today's standards but there is a nice spooky atmosphere throughout which feels good on a cold dark rainy night.

Its a slow slow burner that's for sure, I must admit I was getting really quite bored in places as the film is three hours long and there's allot of dialog all the way through, not much vampire action to be honest. What action there is is now quite quaint and harmless really, not much blood on show and some pretty amusing melodramatic acting as people fall foul of Kurt Barlow, but the makeup is still very good, especially the eyes of the vampires.

The film is well made and a good adaptation I think as it does seem encompass allot from the original source, I haven't read the novel but there is a heck of allot of info packed into the plot with good backstories and character development.

Must mention the legend James Mason here as his calm gentlemanly demeanor accompanied by his smooth, eloquent, perfectly pronounced voice works wonders for the evil vampires right hand man, Hopkins and Price eat your heart out hehe.

A curious addition to vampire lore which it slightly dull but altogether well crafted, the look of the main vampire obviously has been designed after the classic 'Nosferatu' look but in turn you can see how many future vampire films have also used this style and look.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:28 PM

There is no question of what the viewers are going to get with a movie like Hobo with A Shotgun; the name alone can pretty much give a pretty clear indicator of what director Jason Eisener is going to have on display. Itís a gallery of drugs, sex, and violence with veteran actor Rutger Hauer as the titular Hobo who begins a vigilante rampage against a corrupt town. Itís one of those exploitation films in the vein of Toxic Avenger or Children at Play. However, while certain exploitation films have a certain reputation around their cult following, Hobo seems to try to grasp that reputation a bit too strenuously.

Eisener certainly knows what makes an exploitation film tick. Thereís always that heightened sense of caricatures and a dismal setting where anything can happen. Such is the setting of the ironically titled Hope Town, run by a corrupt mayor and his lackey sons who treats their lower class citizens with bloody violence and drug addiction. The only times where the violence takes a breather from the senseless depravation is dealing with Hoboís evolution from vagrant to avenger. Hauer is certainly giving his all in here as the grizzled Hobo, and thatís certainly the shining point in this exploitation film. He treats every ludicrous line delivery as of he is still playing android Roy Batty from Blade Runner.

However, the same canít be said with his supporting cast. Apart from Molly Dunsworth as the hooker with the heart of goal, the rest of the cast members crank the dial to 11 with their characters. Brian Downey is nuts as the villainous Drake, with Gregory Smith and Nick Bateman on the same level as his psychotic sons. There is certainly more insanity with other actors, but its these three that certainly take the cake.

Yes, it is indeed craziness galore in this exploitation film, which actually becomes a bit of its undoing near the end. Eisener certainly throws just about everything but the kitchen sink in Hobo, but the problem is that just becomes a bit redundant in the middle half. It certainly picks up near the final half when two ridiculous, yet cool characters enter the fray, but it never tries to bring anything new to the table. With other exploitation films, there seems to be a bit of a build up to the craziness of its plot, but Hobo is always at the scale of 11 that itís difficult to keep outdoing the previous scene of nuttiness.

Still, for fans of exploitation films, Hobo with a Shotgun is a no-brainer for their collection. Itís violent, ugly, and hilarious in the Hoboís quest for truth, justice, and American way (with a shotgun). It can be a bit of an overload and repetitious when the runtime winds down, but one viewing should definitely be required if there is an interest.

6/10
Old 01-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
Hugo (Martin Scorsese, 2011)

It was interesting to hear that Scorsese was tackling the family genre and I think he's done a great job, but boy did watching this leave me craving something like Mean Streets. On an aesthetic level I think Hugo is pretty much flawless and I loved watching the character work his way through the innards of the station and such, but I think script wise there's not a lot going on (hence all the flashback tales) and the 'wonder of cinema' stuff felt a bit corny for me. Similarly to Spielberg's Tintin, I got the impression that the director wasn't totally comfortable that people would be interested in the story he is trying to tell and it shows in what he slices into the film (in this case all the dialogue about the magic of Melies rather than extended action sequences). A positive comment: Sacha Baron Cohen. This dude is the Peter Sellers of our generation and cracks me up in every role I see him in (apparently he's in Tarantino's next, can't wait for that). Ben Kingsley was also great and whilst I wasn't overwhelmed by the child performances its good to see Butterfield and Moretz stretch themselves. Overall, a good movie that I did enjoy, but I'll be raising an eyebrow if it gets some major Oscar noms.
7/10
Yeah, I really wanted to love this movie. I thought it was solid in terms of Marty's talent, but it didn't have the spark of enchantment that really makes these types of movies pop. But that's just me.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Pre-release
Red Tails (2012)

Post-release
Fright Night (2011) B
Our Idiot Brother B
Vanishing on 7th Street C
Closed Thread