Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2011, 06:33 PM

The Guard

Really good. The plot's a load of cliches but it's hard to argue with a film as frequently funny as this, it's a real hoot.

Last edited by JCR; 06-15-2011 at 08:11 PM..
Old 06-15-2011, 06:45 PM

Sometimes there are moments in life that are just as interesting and enjoyable to see than your average blockbuster film. That's where documentaries come in, where directors follow a world issue or story of a person in order to show the movie going public on how inspirational, entertaining, or emotional the subject is. For director Seth Gordon, he found a story in arcade game Donkey Kong and two men who vied for the world record high score. What develops is a story of the underdog against a champion, and perhaps good versus evil. It may seem uninteresting and boring, but it is surprisingly an engaging and entertaining documentary on attempting to achieve a goal in life, and the obstacles that some have to go through in order to possibly get there.

The documentary film follows a record keeping company known as Twin Galaxies, who have been established since the birth of the arcades in the 1980s. There have been many people in those years who have achieved high scores on arcade games from Missile Command to the game that the documentary focuses on, Donkey Kong. These records have been kept by a group called Twin Galaxies, with one of those judges who validates those scores is Billy Mitchell. In the 1980s, Mitchell was known as a arcade game prodigy, achieving high scores in numerous arcade games, and even attaining the high score in Donkey Kong that has yet to be beaten. With these accomplishments and now a grown man, Mitchell seems to have a holier than thou personality in the video game world, and feels he's the best of the best.

Enter Steve Wiebe, a happily married, humble man with kids and science teacher. In order to past the time when he was unemployed, he began to play Donkey Kong. Over time, he found Mtchell's high score record and decided to make a goal of beating it, as he hasn't been able to achieve much accomplishments in his life. Over time, he finally beat Mitchell's score and send his taping of the score to Twin Galaxies. Alas, Wiebe's victory would not be valid as Twin Galaxies judges dismantled the arcade cabinet when Wiebe was out and deemed that the Donkey Kong board was tampered with, leaving Wiebe with another accomplishment unfinished. However, the resilient Wiebe would not give up and begins a journey to well known arcade establishments to validate his accomplishment, while one Billy Mitchell waits in the shadows and feels a villain is trying to take his spotlight.

As previously mentioned, the documentary has a feel of the old fashioned "good versus evil" themed films that have been part of the film industry since the beginning of time. Steve Wiebe is a person that most viewers will be behind throughout the whole film, the beacon of good as he simply wants to show that he can achieve the high score that many feel was unwarranted. His family supports him, with Wiebe's wife and siblings cheering him on as he goes to leave to different events that will document his possible record breaking moment. Mitchell, on the other hand, seems to be evil for the film's sake at first glance, but his manner over the Wiebe situation and the way he presents himself doesn't really help his case. He has this arrogance that makes him easy to hate, and certain points of the film he acts like a devious villain that seems to have a trick up his sleeve at every turn.

For a pretty dubious concept such as world records in arcade games, director Seth Gordon makes it all entertaining and highly watchable. He delves into the record keeping Twin Galaxies, as well as interviews with previous and potential record holders that have a past with Billy Mitchell. However, it never feels like it is filling time for the sake of the film, as it always seems to have a point between the battle of Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe.

Overall, The King of Kong is a great documentary to check out if your in the mood for a good ol' fashioned battle of wits between two grown men competing for the highest score of Donkey Kong in the world. Yes, that sentence may have some readers scratch their head, but the humor and energy that Seth Grodon brings to this film is surprisingly involving and poignant, especially for some of us who have dreamt of making their mark on something.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Super 8

Mixing various elements from old school Spielberg heavyweights like E.T., Close Encounters and Jaws, J.J. Abrams has mastered the art of the summer blockbuster in a way that few seldom have from the conception to the page to the screen. His sharp writing and directorial knack for getting the most out of his child actors is a huge reason this movie ultimately works as well as it does, because thereís nothing that can kill a summer movieís vibe faster than one obnoxious little fart grating on your last nerve. Only one man ever got away with that scot free, and it was Jim Cameron in T2. The pace of this one is swift and fun, the monster action (particularly the bus sequence) is intense Ė and if Iím not mistaken, a nod to the Smoke Monster from Lost - and the emotion is there on the screen to make all that fun stuff actually matter. I admit I got some chills during the locket scene at the end. I canít say for sure if this will hold up over the long haul as strongly as Iím touting right now, but as it stands, I had a blast.

-> 9/10
Old 06-15-2011, 09:09 PM

Old 06-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Faces with Gena Rowlands - This film is about the disintegration of a middle age marriage and told in typical John Cassavetes form with cinema verite style shooting and complex characters and motivations. It's a fantastic look at the crumbling of the hopes of several people and their resignation to their fate. 9/10

My Dinner With Andre - A fascinating film about a conversation between two men about such topics as the nature of life, theater, and spiritual experiences. It doesn't sound like much but it really is a thought provoking work. 9/10

Last edited by smacaskill; 06-15-2011 at 11:35 PM..
Old 06-15-2011, 11:11 PM

Old 06-16-2011, 12:17 AM
8.5/10 - a very much overlooked little gem of a movie.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:31 AM
Midnight in Paris - ***

Another charmer from Woody Allen. Not his best, but most definitely not his worst either.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - **

Even cheesier and more corny than I remember it being. Probably only deserves 1 star but nostalgia forces me to give it 2.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 PM
The Losers - 6/10
Old 06-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Green Lantern (2011)
Larry Crowne
Mr. Popper's Penguins

Corky Romano D+
The Illusionist (2010) B
Solitary Man (2009) C+
Old 06-16-2011, 06:20 PM
source code 5.5/10
Old 06-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Dracula Has Risen From The Grave - 6/10
The Evil Of Frankenstein - 6/10
Brides Of Dracula - 5/10
Largely finding these Hammer films to be very average
Old 06-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Ladies and Gentleman, The Fabulous Stains - 6/10 (bonus points for Diane Lane being positively spunky though)
Old 06-16-2011, 08:49 PM
The Young Philadelphians with Paul Newman - Newman is the son of a working class mother who works his way up to a big time law career. The film culminates with him defending a friend in a murder case. There's a lot of quality drama in this film and many fine performances as well. 8/10

Destry Rides Again with James Stewart and Marlene Dietrich - Stewart is the son of a famous lawman in the Old West who comes back home to clean up the town in his own fashion. Other than the two leads there is not a lot to get excited about. The story seemed pretty bland to me but I did really like Stewart. 6/10
Old 06-16-2011, 11:57 PM

Beginners - 9/10

I fucking love this movie.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by God of War View Post

Oh sweet how'd you watch that?
I tried buying the VHS in the mid-1990s and it was not available for sale any more.
I've never seen it in a DVD format.

I would buy this shit in a heartbeat!

It's hard to believe, too, because it has Scott Glen AND Toshiro Mifune. Jerry Goldsmith did the score and John Frankenheimer directed it! These aren't "unknowns".

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 06-17-2011 at 12:03 AM..
Old 06-17-2011, 12:00 AM
Southern Comfort - 8/10
Old 06-17-2011, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
Oh sweet how'd you watch that?
I tried buying the VHS in the mid-1990s and it was not available for sale any more.
I've never seen it in a DVD format.

I would buy this shit in a heartbeat!
I still have the VHS video for it. But the version I viewed the other night was, I have to admit, a torrent download. It was a laserdisc rip in fullscreen. I admit I do not like downloading movies. But when a movie I really love is not available anywhere at all, then I resort to downloading them. 99% of the films I download fall into this category.

As for the movie itself, it still has the same potency after all of these years. It's a classic. Right down to the magical and enthralling musical score. The film deals with a fav subject of mine. The blending of cultures to a common cause.

Hey, did you see my "1982" movies topic in general movies discussion? It's also mentioned in there.

I watched Southern Comfort last night as well. Another 1982 flick I like alot.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:50 AM

American Pie 2 - ***
Old 06-17-2011, 01:12 AM

Old 06-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Today I watched:

When it comes to the "whodunnit" part of the story I was extremely upset because it was so obvious from the moment the suspect(s) was on the screen - and I mean down to within 4 seconds - that I wonder how someone who has a good memory like the main character wouldn't have caught it within the first to third "quantum leap".

The idea of the hows and ifs of quantum leaping was pretty cool. I admit that. However, it's nowhere NEAR enough to make the movie watchable. Entertaining and "interesting" are two very different things. It would be nice if they spent as much time making the movie not-dumb to WATCH as it was to go "heh. OK, kinda clever I guess" in concept. I even figured out the "concept" of quantum leaping pretty early as well, unfortunately.
So that left no mystery amongst the movie's two main enigmas. Strip away the sci-fi and mystery and all that's left is action and romance.
Action was very low on the importance scale here.
In terms of romance, even THAT was nothing interesting. I was more like "ok, that's enough, move along with - oh wait, move along with WHAT? Why am I watching this again?"

I wanted to turn it off at about the 1hr 6min mark, when it was obvious the movie was absolutely devoid of fresh ideas or any surprises. It even went so far as to pad the runtime with yet MORE red herrings and meandering adventures!

I don't recommend it. SOURCE CODE is way too long. I like the concept, yes, but even THAT can be more interesting just by reading a damned good sci-fi book that has similar themes.
Hell, QUANTUM LEAP did it better.

I still have the VHS video for [The Challenge]. ...
My dad still has a copy on VHS as well. I've seen it about 20 times, but the last time was in 1996 or so because I've been waiting to get my OWN copy once I find it on sale!

One of those few movies I keep waiting to own.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:42 AM

Harold & Maude

Bud Cort has to be one of weirdest looking actors ever, As I was watching I couldn't help but feel he could have a role as a possible Batman villain perhaps the riddler If he was still In his prime.

The soundtrack was great & unlike many films wasn't just there for the sake of It, the music was actually extremely connected to the movie. Well ahead of It's time I'd love to see the Coen brothers quirkeiness added to this movie a remake maybe? nah I don't think so Bud Cort & Ruth Gordan would be practically impossible to match. 7/10

Sukiyaki western Django

One of Takashi Mike's least disturbing movies that is for sure, I loved the homage to spaghetti westerns but It did seem a mess of a movie trying to be surreal or quirky In just about every way possible, Tarantino as the old man was fantastic sadly not enough to save this. 5/10
Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Today I watched:

Hell, QUANTUM LEAP did it better.

Funny you mention that show. You know Scott Bakula is in the movie briefly, right? He even says Oh boy in the movie.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:14 AM

Old 06-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Exorcismus - 5.5/10
Old 06-17-2011, 10:28 AM

6.5/10 kinda dissapointed
Old 06-17-2011, 02:57 PM
The Last Picture Show

Old 06-17-2011, 03:03 PM

When you have a movie that is being adapted from a comic book, you need at least three things. One, an engaging story that will bring the fans of book, as well people who are unaware of the material. Two, to be able to condense the comic book story from a story with many issues into a viable plot for a film. Three, the capabilities of a film director to put the last two things on the screen for the movie going public to enjoy. Alas, for Martin Campbell's Green Lantern, while the story has potential to work and Campbell's eye for keen visuals, it is completely squandered by a lacking story.

The film follows a group known as the Lantern Corp, which is essentially space cops who are placed throughout all of the galaxy to protect their worlds from the threat of evil. One such member of lantern corp, an alien named Abin Sur (Temeuera Morrison), discovers that an evil alien entity known as Parallax has escaped from its prison and Abin becomes mortally wounded by the being. This leads Abin Sur to Earth, where he will select a human to take over his place in the Lantern Corp. That human is Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds), a test pilot who takes all the risks in his line of duty. Upon becoming the new Green Lantern, Hal becomes overwhelmed by such a task, as the world is soon threatened by Parallax, as well as scientist Hector Hammond (Peter Sarsgaard) who becomes infected by a piece of Parallax from Abin Sur's body.

Now, for a film such as Green lantern, there needs to be an expansive world of different alien races and settings that could make for a grand, epic science fiction film. There also needs to be a good origin story for the protagonist, Hal Jordan. At first, that what it seems that the film will be bringing, with the pretty explosive opening of the Lantern Corps and the escape of Parallax. Unfortunately, the scenery is all that is there as the movie continues onto Earth, and kind of feels content on staying there with Hal. There is a moment where the film goes of into space and there's a possibility where it will movie to bigger and better things, but the film grounds it back to Earth and simply laps up all the comic book movie cliches and thinks that will be enough. Unfortunately, that decision brings a pretty lacking story, as certain characters are brought together only for the sake of the plot, the typical romance takes a bit too much of the films time, and a second villain that is there because other comic books have villains like that.

This is no fault of the actors, who simply have to go along with this flimsy plot. Ryan Reynolds can make for a good action hero and it shows, but this version of Hal Jordan just brings a super hero character that goes through all these different emotions of responsibility way too fast, never giving time to actually evolve. He feels like a kid who has trouble learning a new sport, just goes "I quit!", but then comes back two minutes later very assure of himself that he can do it. Blake Lively is your typical comic book love interest for Hal, and only there to be part of a conflict in the third act. Peter Sarsgaard seems to be having fun as the villain next to Parallax, it's just too bad he simply is there only for the sake of conflict, instead of fitting in the story organically. Mark Strong make an impression as Sinestro, one of the leading Lantern Corps, and makes he most of his scenes. Geoffrey Rush and Michael Clarke Duncan bring their voices to Lantern corps aliens Tomar-re and Kilowog, but there hardly in it as the space aspect just doesn't seem as important.

Director Martin Campbell has proven that he can make the most of certain franchises, such as James Bond and Zorro, but while his visual eye works for the film, he never bothered to notice the pretty deep flaws for the story. Tough, to his credit, the computer generated visuals of the different planets and creatures look good, and the action scenes are fairly engaging when they pop up in the middle and final act. I just wished Campbell understood the potential scope of this film, and was given more time to make it breathe.

Green Lantern is by no means a completely horrible comic book movie, just a sadly missed opportunity. The ingredients were there, but the script just felt like a cooking recipe that missed a couple of steps needed to truly be delicious. Good visuals and acting can't make up for a sorely lacking story, which Green Lantern is an unforunate victim of.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:18 PM
The Blind Side

Sentimental rubbish, but it has an inspiring true story on its side and a Sandra Bullock performance that - while overhyped and not what I’d call the best of 2009 by a fair stretch - is stronger than the actual material and as a result lifts it higher than it would’ve gotten if it’d starred, say, Melissa Joan Hart (think – Lifetime). So all said, it’s rubbish with its heart in the right place and some A-list talent to back it up, including the underrated Tim McGraw. Sorry, after Friday Night Lights and his surprisingly great performance in that, I give the man his props, deal with it. And even with this movie’s manipulative idealism and the presence of one of those precocious kids that belong solely to the world of movies, the story of Michael Oher’s rise from penurious neglect to affluent suburban football heroism through his tenacious mother-figure's unbreakable faith in him is strong enough to get it the rest of the way through the end zone. Honestly, this one could’ve gone either way for me.

-> 6/10
Old 06-17-2011, 03:38 PM

Rumor has it that Steven Seagal worked as a fight coreographer for the movie. The second movie directed by John Frankenheimer that Toshiro Mifune stars in it. The first one was Grand Prix starring James Gardner. C'mom release The Challenge in Blu-Ray!

There are only 3 best X-Men movies made. The first two and this prequel. Whoever disagrees...deal with it!

Last edited by MidnightAngel; 06-17-2011 at 03:41 PM..
Old 06-17-2011, 03:53 PM

Old 06-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Over the past few days:

Chasing Amy

9/10. Why did it take me so long to watch this? Tied with Dogma as my favorite Smith movie.

Anvil: The Story of Anvil

8/10. Entertaining, funny and sad at the same time.

American Movie

9/10. Same thing with Anvil. Funny and sad at the same time. This dude and his entourage are some of the most entertainingly bizarre people I've ever seen in a movie. Documentary or otherwise. Yet, Mark's perseverance and the support he had was genuinely touching and hopeful.

8/10. Haven't watched it in a long time. Great movie. Not in Scorsese's all around best of, but damn fine.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Death Becomes Her

Old 06-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Super 8 - 8/10
Old 06-17-2011, 05:54 PM

Old 06-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Young Bess with Jean Simmons and Stewart Granger - The story of Elizabeth I before she became queen and all of the troubles and political intrigue she had to deal with as well as a romance. I'm pretty sure much of the story was made up but it was still a solid film. I'm really starting to like Simmons and I'll probably do a marathon of her movies in a few weeks (She's star of the month on TCM in June.) 7/10

Underwater! with Jane Russell - Some divers go looking for treasure on a sunken ship and must deal with pirates who try to steal it. It's a simple story but effectively made with really good underwater photography. Plus there's Jane Russell as a deep sea diver. That's just fun. 7/10

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 - They never should have let Alfonso Cuaron go. His film is still by far the best in the series. The other films are boring in comparison. I'll probably watch the last one when it's available on DVD or television but I'm just not all that excited for it. As for this film it has a few good moments but it could have been much better. 5/10
Old 06-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by syxxpac View Post
The Blind Side

and some A-list talent to back it up, including the underrated Tim McGraw. Sorry, after Friday Night Lights and his surprisingly great performance in that, I give the man his props, deal with it.
He was great in the highly underrated Country Strong as well. He's actually proven to be a pretty damn good actor surprisingly.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:24 AM

The only interesting aspects to this movie are the location of an American cowboy in the Outback, a long-distance shooter in olden days, and Alan Rickman.
This was boring as hell, though and the bad guys are so bad that it becomes kind of a twisted comedy.

Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Funny you mention that show. You know Scott Bakula is in the movie [Source Code] briefly, right? He even says Oh boy in the movie.
It took me a while to peg his voice on the phone, but I did figure it out.
I would have preferred Captain Colter to go in the bathroom and while facing a mirror image that was not his own, he'd say "oh boy" lol
Old 06-18-2011, 06:56 AM
Today I watched:My dad still has a copy on VHS as well. I've seen it about 20 times, but the last time was in 1996 or so because I've been waiting to get my OWN copy once I find it on sale!

One of those few movies I keep waiting to own.
It most definitely deserves a proper dvd release. I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

Watched this and I really dug it.

Originally Posted by MidnightAngel View Post
Rumor has it that Steven Seagal worked as a fight coreographer for the movie. The second movie directed by John Frankenheimer that Toshiro Mifune stars in it. The first one was Grand Prix starring James Gardner. C'mom release The Challenge in Blu-Ray!
Sweet. I didn't know that. Thanks. And I have never heard of or seen Grand Prix.

Last edited by God of War; 06-18-2011 at 07:00 AM..
Old 06-18-2011, 07:12 AM

One of the most freakiest black comedies i've ever seen.
Closed Thread