Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 06:48 AM
Absentia - 8/10
Good low budget horror, a nice surprise.

2-Headed Shark Attack - 1/10
The Asylum have another winner on their hands.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:39 AM
In the Time of the Butterflies (Mariano Barroso, 2001) C
It's a completely bland and soulless film with cardboard performances and a weak script. I vividly remember a terrible scene in which Salma Hayek (a common woman who leads a revolution) is speaking to Edward James Olmos (a ruthless dictator) and she talks about their confrontation like a game of poker, as if this was some kind of intelligent film, when really he could just kill her at any point. Oh, and the movie poster is totally misleading which makes me laugh every time I see it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ilmPoster.jpeg

The poster makes it seem like a romance film with Salma Hayek and Marc Anthony, but a.) it's actually a historical drama about Trujillo, the ruthless dictator of the Dominican Republic, b.) Salma Hayek is never even remotely attractive in the film, and c.) Marc Anthony is barely in the film.

I find it sad that a film has to deceive people on its poster to get people to watch it.

A Raisin in the Sun (Kenny Leon, 2008) B-
The film very much feels like a play, which I don't like. Yes, it was adapted from a play, but a film adaptation should feel like a film and not a play. The acting is okay, nothing special. The film feels very disjointed, with scenes either being only funny or only serious, and they can switch on a moment's notice. Overall, it's an okay film because some of the humor is well-done and some of the drama is as well, but it could've been so much more. I really should see the 1961 adaptation starring Sydney Poitier, which is most likely far superior.

Osmosis Jones (Farrelly brothers, 2001) B
I forgot how entertaining this film is. The animation is great and there are some clever jokes I never noticed before (for example, a statue of a sperm in the mayor's office with a plaque saying, "Our Founder"). The live action portions aren't nearly as entertaining as the cartoon scenes, and the film could've used a little less of them, but overall it's a fun and clever animated film with solid voice acting and a really cool concept.

Final Destination 5 (Steven Quale, 2011) B+
This is the best in the series by far. It packs plenty of gore, although that goes without saying, and the plot twist at the end is really cool. I'm definitely seeing the next two in the series in theaters in 3D, because this one was damn entertaining and probably would've been more so in 3D. My one complaint is that the film sometimes tries to be intentionally funny which doesn't have the same effect as when the films played it straight. But overall, this is a damn fun movie and anyone who likes mindless carnage should enjoy this.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Martha Marcy May Marlene - 8/10
Old 02-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Drive (9/10)
Big Daddy (7/10)
Inglorious Basterds (10/10)
Knocked Up (9/10)
Snatch (8/10)
The Rules of Attraction (8/10)...so close to a 9.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:36 PM
We Need to Talk About Kevin

Finally, I have seen it. I've been dying to see this since the moment I first heard about it last year during Cannes film festival. This film left me in a stupor at the end. I think I was bound to love this film. It is unlike anything I've seen before. The subject matter of nature vs. nurture is something I've always been interested in and Lynne Ramsey dissects it in such a sublime way. The entire structure of the film and how it shifts between the past and present is done with beautiful precision, leaving little room for laggy scenes that drag on for too long. It is almost as if the shifts are fragments of Eva's memories as she walks through her present life trying to piece together just what went wrong. I was glued to the screen the entire time, never has the flow felt like an issue for me. If anything, I felt that John C. Reilly was miscast, but that is where my minor quibbles start and end. It is immensely thought provoking which is why I just sat there when the credits started to roll. It hit me hard, and mostly I have to attribute it to Ramsey's solid direction of the subject matter and Tilda Swanton's complete immersion into a deeply wrecked and troubled mother, in both the present and past sections of the film. Ezra Miller has also done an outstanding job, especially during the very last scene when his simple physical acting, and visually dark tone worked harmoniously in what I think isn't any less effective than Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lecter in any of the scenes from Silence of the Lambs. This film is truly haunting, cold, and massively effective. It definitely left a mark

9/10
Old 02-05-2012, 02:52 PM

7/10

eps. 1-6
Old 02-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Past week,

Body Double - 7/10
Dressed To Kill - 8/10
To Live & Die in LA - 8/10
Christine - 6/10
Take Shelter - 9/10
Old 02-06-2012, 12:17 AM
The Innkeepers - 5/10

Ti West sure loves himself some retro-horror. I appreciate what he is trying to do, bringing back that feel for those 70's and 80's haunted house flicks. I commend his attempt to create a sense of dread but he ultimately fails. Not enough atmosphere for one, an uninteresting backstory for the haunted hotel, and too many stretches where nothing interesting happens. Our lead characters just fall into the same old traps as past horror kings and queens. One of the things that made those old horror flicks resonate is the grungy vibe they carried. Everything here feels plain and ordinary, plus the finale was seriously lacking. There has not been a single great horror flick since "The Descent".
Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 AM
CHRONICLE

At some time in life a person ponders,or wishes they had superpowers.
If i could fly,see through walls,move objects with my mind.What would i do with such powers?
This is the main question that's answered when powers are bestowed upon 3 teens in Seattle.The 3 schoolmates :the picked on and abused Andrew (Dane DeHaan),
his cousin the book smart,conceited to cool for the room Matt (Alex Russell) and the popular Steve (Michael B. Jordan) happen upon a sinkhole in the woods that contains aliens(?)or a radioactive meteorite(?) in the woods.They venture in and emerge with superpowers.
DeHaan ,(who reminds me of a young Leonardo Dicaprio circa Whats eating Gilbert Grape),as Andrew videotapes himself,Matt and Steve,their growing powers,their pranks,the elation and joy of discovering what new powers that develop daily,and the danger of having such powers..
At times the video tape element hinders the film,it is the films blessing and curse.
But when its a blessing and when Director Josh Trank and writer Max Landis
slickly use other means to view the exploits of the teens.Its absolutely incredible to watch.It's what made another "videotape" film Cloverfield so entertaining.
I also like that the film alludes to other films like Firestarter and Akira.
It will be interesting to see what they come up with if there's a sequel.
Scale of 1-10 an 8
Old 02-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Drive - 9.5/10
Old 02-06-2012, 02:33 PM
The Artist - 6/10
Huge disappointment.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 PM

In a Glass Cage - 6.5/10

I was told this movie would be fucked up but I wasn't expecting, well, this. I'll give it credit for going to some dark, fucked up places without flinching but after a strong and disturbing first hour things begin to fall apart as the story becomes zanier. The ending also kind of awkwardly hammers its point home even further but there's a reason why this movie has a reputation along the lines of movies like Salo. Anyone who hates violence against children should run away from this movie as fast as possible. I wish it could have been as 'subdued' (hard to use this term since everything in the movie is far from it) as its first half but it still succeeds as a dark, disturbing drama despite its flaws.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:26 PM

Chronicle(2012)-8/10
Old 02-07-2012, 12:21 AM
Rewatched The Ides of March today. Didn't notice in theaters what a handsomely made film this one is, very well shot and edited, impeccably acted, beautifully written and directed. The structure of the film seemed to flow a lot better then on first viewing, and it is a rather interesting and pointed deconstruction of American politics, the Clooney character evoking Clinton, Obama, and George McGovern very clearly. Quite wonderful, actually. One of the better of 2011's awards crop.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:04 AM
Funny Farm - 6/10

A revisit to a seemingly classic comedy farce. Time has not been kind and I rarely laughed at this film's oddball hijinks. Has some nice cinematography and some great comic setups, but the jokes mostly fall flat. Forgettable.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:05 AM
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (9/10)
Nearly a 10. This bettered the 2009 release in every way. It was more focused on the characters and their relationships and it honed in more on the intriguing whodunit mystery. The Swedish version felt much more densely plotted and slow. This was absolutely unbearably suspenseful in many scenes, especially the rape scenes and some real nailbiting confrontations in the film's finale. Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara were both excellent. Also loved Stellan Skarsgard here,
Spoiler:
especially in the third act where his character completely turns around and thanks to Skarsgard's performance it's 100% convincing and very creepy
. The score and cinematography were both excellent too. Very glad they got Oscar nominations.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God (2005)

Not really much better than the first film, in fact the effects are less impressive and less frequent also making the film rather dull to say the least.

Payne reappears in this sequel despite seemingly being killed convincingly in the first film (minus his blue lipstick) but this time he's up against a team of five challengers. These five challengers/adventurers are the most boring and unimaginative looking set I've seen in an adventure film, surprisingly female orientated the team look drab and silly, admittedly close to D&D lore but uninspiring none the less.

The whole film is pretty dull really with nothing much happening right up until the end where there is some decent dragon action, I think D&D followers will get more of a kick out of this but newcomers will be less enthralled. I have seen worse and this isn't quite as cheesy as the first.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:43 AM
^ shame, he really is an intelligent guy, New Nightmare I mean, anyway.

It's 1:30 in the morning, I'm working at a desk and the friggin Terminator is playing on the AFN movie channel (armed forces network) and it's still in the first act, this duty morning is going to pass by quick. It's like when your a kid, your at home sick from school, your flipping through the channels and something this awesome comes on. Just perfect timing. What's also great is that AFN movie does a commerical break like once every 30 minutes. 22 minutes and still going.

Last edited by blknge89; 02-07-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Old 02-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Heights - Aside from Glenn Close and Elizabeth Banks the cast was pretty mediocre. The stories weren't really all that interesting either. Not a bad film but there wasn't much that was memorable either. 5/10

Cop Out - Bruce Willis looked bored throughout the film and Tracy Morgan was pretty awful. I did like seeing Rashida Jones in her small role but this film just wasn't very good at all. 3/10
Old 02-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Watch the full version though
Yeah. I took some time off specifically to spend the day at home eating and watching Carlos, it was swell.

The Descendants (Alexander Payne, 2011)

Loved it. Favourite film of '11 so far.
9/10
Old 02-07-2012, 08:23 PM

I'm kind of hating myself right now for putting this movie off for as long as I have been. I guess it's because I'm not a Woody Allen or an Owen Wilson fan. This has definitely made me want to go back and watch Allen's films. I watched Annie Hall back in school and hated it but I want to give it another shot. I guess because I'm older and can probably appreciate it more as well as his other movies. The performances were fantastic especially Wilson, who should have been nominated this year. Another stand out was the guy who played Ernest Hemingway, Corey Stoll. Needless to say I loved it, it's of my favorites from 2011.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Anonymous - 6/10
Ondine - 9/10

Last edited by Cronos; 02-07-2012 at 11:17 PM..
Old 02-08-2012, 12:51 AM

The Time Machine(2002)-6/10
Old 02-08-2012, 03:25 AM
What Just Happened? - 7/10

Near-brilliant insight into the life of a producer. Many darkly funny moments that caught me off guard. Only an experienced cast could've tackled this material and pulled it off. My one criticism is that it makes depressing light of Hollywood's wretched ways to the point where anyone thinking about being in the industry would want to run the other direction.

Slap Shot - 8.5/10

Another oldie that has sat in my queue for years, and only now do I decide to give it a go; wish I had sooner. This is one of those films held to classic esteem and rightly so. I was shocked that a movie this old could have such dirty language, which only added to the humor, and my obnoxiously loud laugh. It does have its slow moments but in the end, it justified the trip. Many likeable and unpredictable characters. And the ending couldn't have been any better or unexpected. This may sound strange being this movie is terribly old, but it is highly original for a sports movie, and wants to take us in new directions. Just when you think you have it figured out... Audacious and hilarious mainstream entertainment with Newman who's never been better.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:44 AM

50/50
7/10
Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 AM
First viewing for all three of these movies.

Attack the Block - 6/10
Surprisingly better then I expected I probably would have enjoyed this more going to the cinema watching with friends. The slang talk the youngsters were using drove me up the wall after about halfway through would have given It a seven If I dindn't hear the word 'fam every 3 seconds.

Identity 8-10
Loved the atmosphere of the movie very good thriller, sure a little hard to believe but I love these types whodunnit movies good cast also a definte recommendation.

The Acid house 6-10
3 short movies all based In Scotland unlike 'Attack the block' I liked the accents & lingo used very funny. I thought the first short was quite bad, the second one was the best & the third was okay certainly the funniest very weird experience watching this.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 AM
A Dangerous Method

Saw this last weekend, forgot to post it. Definitely the most different thing Cronenberg has done so far. This film is so calm, it's almost like a classical piece that is carried by minimal instruments and melody, that's what makes this such a different film coming from Cronenberg. I thought Fassbender and Mortensen did well, especially Mortensen with the time he's been given. However, it isn't anything that pulls you in or really makes you give a shit as far as the content goes. I felt it was lacking.

6/10
Old 02-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Floating Weeds - Another excellent film by Yasujiro Ozu. I've enjoyed every film by him that I have seen and I am looking forward to more. 8/10

Lifeboat - One of Hitchcock's limited setting films and it deals with the tension of a small group trying to survive. Tallulah Bankhead and Hume Cronyn were probably my favorites in the film. 8/10
Old 02-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Pre-release
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
This Means War (2012)
Wanderlust (2012)

Post-release
Awakening of the Beast D
Rabbit Hole (2010) B+
Tourist Trap (1979) D-
Old 02-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Aussie Horror x2...

Picnic at Hanging Rock

Don’t let the frilly lace blouses, sunlit meadows and prudish Victorian etiquette fool you – this is a horror movie. But among the most unique I’ve ever seen for the simple fact that unlike most genre films that prey on the audience’s fear of death, Peter Weir goes a step further to tap into a more pervasive, modern fear - oblivion. It asks a question not often asked in film, because it probably requires more daring than most filmmakers have - what if you just disappeared? No rhyme, no reason, just vanished into thin air like a fart in the wind. Who would remember you? What would be your legacy? The consequences to those you loved? The first leg of the film had me convinced I wouldn’t like it, with its plodding pace and arty presentation, but as the second half rolled around, the surreal photography, evocative score and creepy use of sound combined to heighten the sense of mystery. It delights in engaging your imagination about what could’ve happened to the missing girls, and offers no easy answers, which will undoubtedly piss off a lot of viewers. But in the end, I felt much as I did after the finale of Lost – unsettled with many lingering questions, but intrigued that I could conceivably go on thinking about this shit for years to come and never settle on the same conclusion.

-> 8/10

Lake Mungo

Freshman Aussie director Joel Anderson breeds the likes of Paranormal Activity and Twin Peaks, employs a faux-documentary style to complement the union, then unleashes some fucked up touches of grisly supernatural influence to complete an engrossing dramatic package about the untimely death of a teenage girl (named Alice Palmer, naturally). And I use the word “dramatic” because in some ways it’s even less a horror film than Picnic at Hanging Rock, for the conceit that it is largely a family drama about grief and loss. Same reason I wouldn’t call a Paul Anderson Resident Evil movie “horror” (or a "movie", for that matter) just because it has zombies. There are caveats, and such is the case here. What struck me was the strength of the acting in particular, which is why the documentary filmmaking gimmick passed my Bullshit Detector with flying colors. I was never for a second doubting the sincerity of the performances to a point where it ruined the presentation. These people were authentic, often painfully real, and most importantly of all – believable. But don’t despair, if you want a couple of icy fingers to trail down your spine from time to time, the film delivers on that front as well. It just doesn’t revel in it, which makes it all the more effective when those moments do crop up.

-> 8/10
Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Man on a Ledge

Uh..WHAT? FUCK THIS MOVIE

3/10
Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2011) A+
I loved this the first time, but it was even better the second time. I'm not even sure why, but I just found it so much more captivating the second time. Ryan Gosling's minimalist performance is perfect in this, and without even speaking all that much, he conveys so many subtle facial emotions, a true testament to his underappreciated acting prowess. Then you've got Albert Brooks as the villain who completely owns the role. Both actors were robbed of Oscar nominations. The film is all about subtlety, but there are a few scenes of extreme violence. Some might not like the sudden shift towards the gore, but I thought the sudden shift made it all the more exciting and shocking, and establish the general unpredictability of the film. And it is very unpredictable. That's not to say that the events aren't in the realm of possibility, but plot points are never really broadcast in advance. It's definitely a unique film, marked by fantastic but unconventional performances, beautiful direction by Nicolas Winding Refn, and a wonderful soundtrack that drastically enhances the 80s vibe the film so expertly pulls off.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 PM

A Dangerous Method - 7/10

Come on guys, this is Cronenberg having a good time and there's nothing wrong with it. I always find it weird how sometimes you can get a great group of people together and put out a very bland or serviceable product (see: Moneyball, The Ides of March) but you can also get something like this which is just a straight up good movie. Fassbender, Mortensen and Knightley (whose role has been treated unfairly, mostly because of how it compares to the zen-like performances her co-stars give) are all great, Cronenberg uses those split focus shots so fucking well and everything's so damn effortless. The only issue is that things kind of putter out by the end but when you have a movie detailing an academic feud it's hard to go out with a bang.

Flanders - 7/10

I have a lot less to say on this one but it's mostly because I have a hard time expressing what it tries to do. For the most part it succeeds, and anyone who's a fan of Michael Haneke might want to give this a try even though it appears Bruno Dumont likes to take the clinical approach for spiritual/emotional ideas more than social/political ones.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:39 PM

The Woman in Black(2012)-7/10
Old 02-09-2012, 12:47 AM

Ghost Ship(2002)-6/10
Old 02-09-2012, 07:03 AM
Age of Dragons (2011)

Reworking of classic novel Moby Dick but this time using dragons as the game or hunt as it were. To be honest this is a really neat idea, the only problem is its been made poorly which is a shame.

I think this could of worked had a little more time and money been invested, the cast are OK I guess..for an action type film, Danny Glover is a little miscast as Ahab perhaps but Vinnie Jones does surprisingly well as does the hero Sevier as Ishmael. Nothing to rave about of course but the cheesiness of it all suits them fine and you know to expect cheese.

Of course the effects are slightly off key, cgi is average but shows promise, even the use of old techniques used by Harryhausen are used at one point which almost works (oddly it looked better in the old mythology films of Harryhausen). Then you do have silly things which needed more planning such as the Pequod as a wheeled land tank/ship, didn't really work as it was way too small looking despite about eight adults apparently living in it with lots of quarters shown, plus how did it run? petrol? diesel?

I must also mention my dislike of virtually everyone in action films these days being some kind of martial arts expert and able to defeat multiple enemies without breaking sweat, it really is so so over used and in this film so out of place, what's wrong with some good old fashioned fisticuffs?

A nice idea but the execution is weak, worth checking out if you like dragon flicks though.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Jack and Jill

Wow Mr Sandler! what on earth is going on here!? I realise you are not exactly flavour of the month anymore but was this REALLY needed??

Talk about shovelling the shit Jesus! there was a time when Sandler was quite amusing and his films about standing up for the average Joe's whilst playing the typical everyman were fun, but that was along time ago. His childish toilet humour now seems completely redundant and boring and this film really is a prime example of how basic and pathetic his films now appear. Sandler plays himself (as usual) and his twin sister who also (surprisingly) turns out to be kinda like every other character Sandler has played, that's all you need to know.

There is completely nothing here I can be positive about, its utter tripe from start to finish much like Martin Lawrence's 'Big Momma' 'comedy' films. What I can't believe is why Johnny Depp and Al Pacino would wanna star in a film like this for, its not like they need the work.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:07 AM
I rewatched Spider-Man 2. Great movie!

Old 02-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Blue Valentine - It looks like Michelle Williams has turned into one of the best actresses around. Ryan Gosling was good too but I think Williams is the one who really made this into a great film. 9/10

Mother and Child - Of the three intertwined stories I liked Naomi Watts' the best but everyone was pretty good. It was a little weird seeing Jimmy Smits look so heavy though. 8/10
Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 PM
The Deep Blue Sea - 6/10
Tim And Eric's Billion Dollar Movie - 1/10
Closed Thread