Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:14 AM
Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory - 9/10

Cor b'jesus.

Oh, and We Were Here - 8/10

Both make for somber viewing.

Last edited by viceus; 02-27-2012 at 09:34 AM..
Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Saw VI and VII - shite and shite
Boy A - 8/10
Don't be Afraid of the Dark - awful
Old 02-27-2012, 12:25 PM
The Six Wives of Henry Lefay - A pretty mediocre film about six women fighting over the funeral plans of a man they were all married to at some point. Elisha Cuthbert was decent as the daughter but the film just wasn't very good. I also want to kick Jenna Elfman in the head so it doesn't help when she's in a film. 4/10

The Exterminating Angel - This is the first Spanish language film from Luis Bunuel that I have seen and I really liked it. An intriguing premise an ambiguous ending make this a film worth checking out. 8/10

Jane Eyre (1971) - I liked George C Scott as Rochester and the lead actress was decent but this version was a little too subdued. There were also some cuts from the original story that probably should have been left in. 6/10
Old 02-27-2012, 01:56 PM

What is the objective for movies? Well, it depends on what that film is trying to reach to the audience. Does it want to bring a heartfelt story of a wounded protagonist, or is the director more inclined on bringing his technical expertise to film, utilizing his crew to bring a film that astounds in their visuals, rather than a more character-driven story. Director Michel Hazanavicius seems to want to have those two pieces of the cake for his vision, with a film that wants to be an ode to the silent, black and white era, as well a redemptive story of a silent actor who tries to come to terms with the future of ďtalkiesĒ. The result comes to a film that looks visually pleasing in a cinematography sense and actors who do the best with their material. Unfortunately, itís the material that brings this movie down, as there is no investment for the main characterís journey, leading to a film that feels pretty aimless and pretty uninteresting for the majority of its short runtime.

There appears to be a real genuine idea on what Hazanavicius wants to bring to the modern cinema, and the opening moments of the film have that sense of nostalgia towards the classic films. Thereís energy and fun from the main character George Valentin (Jean Dujardin), the famous silent actor who has his audiences in his back pocket. This appears to be the light hearted and somewhat whimsical mood that brings the opening act of the film, and itís all pretty effective. Dujardin lays the charm on thick, and it works like gangbusters. Heís the atypical suave, pin-up silent film star, and he knows it. But, as the film rounds to the conflicted relationship that George faces in the beautiful up and coming star Peppy Miller (Berenice Bejo), the film slowly loses track on how to invest the viewer.

Once the film goes down this road, thereís sparks of magic between the two stars, but apart the film struggles to keep the viewer interested. It simply follows about Georgeís conundrum of his professional life concerning the birth of talking films throughout most of the middle act of the film, and it feels repetitious. There are moments where the film follows Millerís continuing rise to stardom, but that soon rides down the same roads that the film has been galloping on for most of the film. If thereís one interesting thing that keeps the filmís stagnant middle act from becoming truly boring, itís certainly the cinematography of Guillaume Schiffman. The lighting creates beauty in the black and white film world, with shadows that perfectly set the mood of each given scene.

Itís certainly not the actorsí fault for the material that they are given, as they certainly try to keep the investment fresh with their lively personalities, but it really comes to a point with this filmís story. Needless to say, there are not enough meat and potatoes to fully fill out the struggles of the character of George Valentin, and his journey just doesnít feel as impactful as it should have been by the final act. It comes across as something that just happens and when itís all said and done, thereís a feeling of being separated from the protagonist, when people should be invested in him. Berenice Bejo is certainly a bubbly, dynamite Peppy Miller, and she will certainly keep the viewers enraptured with her beauty and charm. When these two actors are together, itís classic silent movie magic. When they arenít, the film loses that bit of magic.

Michel Hazanaviciusís The Artist seems to want to bring homage of silent films, while also telling a classic, emotional story of a silent film star George Valentin. The only problem is that the film has these two potentially great ingredients, and they never seem to come together in a solid fashion. Thereís the whimsical and heart in small portions in the film, when it should have really been the main course throughout.

6.5/10
Old 02-27-2012, 05:10 PM

7/10
Old 02-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Coriolanus - 6/10
Intruders - 6/10
Old 02-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Watched a few over the weekend -

DECOY BRIDE - 8/10
To be honest, I was expecting this to be like any other chick flick but it was actually really refreshing and deeper than I previously thought. David Tennant definitely adds another element of hilariousness to it.

BRAKE - 8.5/10
Fast-paced. Intense. And just insane. Though most of the movie takes place in the back of the trunk of the car, the suspense, the way it was shot and Stephen Dorff's acting make it a great contender.

TINY FURNITURE - 9.5/10
In terms of indie films, this was one of the best I've seen in a long time. The inner conflict and protagonist's struggle was heart-wrenching and you just wanted to reach out and try to help her or give her attention when she wasn't getting any from her family. Though there was no concrete resolution, you knew that she was going to be okay in the end.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:52 PM

My least favorite thing out Tennant's tenure as the Doctor. It's okay the creatures are cool but I find very inconsistent. Granted Tennant is strong as ever in his performance. The Doctor at the end is very un Doctor-like. He's almost unlikeable by the end. It tried too hard to go dark and it just ended up feeling cautionary. I also didn't like Lindsay Duncan's character, she's very wooden and uninteresting. It may have made a good, single 45 minute episode of the series. I think about half way through it they were starting to run out of story.

Last edited by Frosty_86; 02-27-2012 at 06:59 PM..
Old 02-27-2012, 06:59 PM

took it back old school today
Old 02-27-2012, 08:13 PM
The Adjustment Bureau

A Phillip K. Dick adaptation that does the core sci-fi component justice while creating a sympathetic human story to wreathe it in, like the best Dick interpretations tend to do, and what movies like Paycheck failed to understand. The sci-fi element is nothing you havenít seen recently if youíre a Fringe viewer (Observers of all franchise stripes seem to love their fedoras, for whatever reasonÖ), but itís Matt Damon and Emily Bluntís naturalistic chemistry and dialogue that kept my emotional investment amid the trippy visuals and philosophical reflections on free will. The film needed that relateable onscreen connection between the two leads to shine through the gimmick, which seeks to keep them apart by hook or crook. I guess you could call it a thriller, technically, but itís so much more accessible as the love story it is Ė and not a typically corny one, either Ė that the sci-fi is like an added bonus. Plus, John Slatteryís uncompromising charisma getting more theatrical screentime between seasons of Mad Men? More please.

-> 8/10
Old 02-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Seven- finally able to watch this damn movie after picking it up a couple weeks back. I have heard great things about it and it did not disappoint in the least. A fantastic movie that had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. 9/10
Old 02-28-2012, 01:05 AM

48 Hrs.(1982)-7/10
Old 02-28-2012, 01:38 AM
Gone - ***

Very much a pleasant surprise. At best, I expected this movie to be a guilty pleasure. A trashily enjoyable but also quite cheesy and dumb thriller. It's actually not for the most part. It's surprisingly well written, very well directed and the acting was fairly strong. Seyfried was terrific and the supporting cast was fine. The movie was nicely shot and atmospheric. And I found the movie to be thoroughly gripping from beginning to end. A LOT better than I was expecting.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:02 AM
Rashomon (8/10)
Old 02-28-2012, 02:35 AM
Tokyo Gore Police (JAP, 2008)

Well its certainly gory that's for damn sure haha I've never seen so much fake watery looking blood, it literately explodes from the screen into your face! fountains and streams of gushing blood at every turn.

The films instantly conjures thoughts of 'Robocop' and 'Starship Troopers' as we are introduced to little news flashes or adverts showing thick dark humour laced with heavy doses of satire, a privatised police force that 'protects' Tokyo against the threat of 'engineers' (self mutated insane berserker criminals).

There's such a colourful blend of genres here its hard to pin down really, think 'Kill Bill' with quirky fantasy and horror. The plot is bizarre and chock full of fetish and kink, rubber bound ladies and femme fatales, a real pleasure for all alternatives out there Add a crazy mix of down right blatant B-movie effects alongside some pretty good gore effects combined with ingenious camera angles and surreal visions.

I liked the futuristic Japanese police with their black samurai suits and many of the nightmarish mutant engineers are fun to see in action, lots of katana face splitting and body popping with a man who shoots eyeballs from little cannon extensions in his eye sockets to a girl who's lower half becomes a gaping alligator-ish maw.

Its totally comicbook or manga I guess with so much blood it becomes funny rather than scary but that's the idea really, not vicious more screwball really but with some nice slick visuals at times and many memorable moments, I think I can see where Tarantino looks to for inspiration or is it vice versa? Loved the limbless pet gimp
Old 02-28-2012, 03:33 AM
The Hills Have Eyes 2006 (8/10)
Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Captains of the Clouds with James Cagney - This WWII era film has great aerial sequences and some nice shots of the Canadian wilderness. The plot may have been predictable but a fine ending and Cagney can make up for a lot. 7/10

Night of the Demons (2009) - Well that just wasn't very good. It's an unoriginal story and nothing happened to set it apart from other horror films. On top of that some of the actors seemed like amateurs and the effects were ridiculous. Monica Keena was about the only decent thing about the movie. 3/10
Old 02-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Evidence - 8/10
Solid little found footage horror, very nice surprise.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Safe House - 6/10
Old 02-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Ali G Indahouse (ENG, 2002)

A strong character from the British comedian, his original crowd pleaser and probably more popular in the UK than anywhere else but despite that this film doesn't really hit the mark.

Like all movie adaptations of comedy shows that are typically 30min long, a feature length version doesn't quite make it in terms of laughs and plot. Unlike his other characters Bruno and Borat which are basically funny clips or sequences stuck together in doc style, Ali G tries for a proper plot line but fails.
Much like 'Mr Bean' the plot is terribly weak and can't hold you for up to 1h 30min, of course you get what you expect in terms of racism, sexism and plenty of sex and toilet jokes but its just not as sharp in a film, it works better as a comedy show for some reason.

Ali G is of course a brilliant character no doubt, totally taking the piss out of the modern young generation of middle/lower class whites that like to think they are black gangsters, whats even more funny is they don't even realise this hehe.

Probably Cohen's best creation but his weakest film, it does what it says on the tin but its still not as good as you would hope for, on the plus side there are some amazing looking women in the film
Old 02-28-2012, 11:06 PM

The Secret World of Arrietty(2012)-8/10
Old 02-29-2012, 12:54 AM

The Scorpion King(2002)-7/10
Old 02-29-2012, 08:23 AM

A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas
5/10
Old 02-29-2012, 12:22 PM
The Time Machine (1960) - A fairly faithful adaptation of the H.G. Wells classic with impressive time lapse photography. Rod Taylor was exactly how I pictured the main character in my head when I read the book many years ago so that was pretty nice. That rarely happens to me. Overall the film looked beautiful with one exception - I didn't like the way the Morlocks looked. That's just a minor criticism though. 8/10

Happy New Year with Peter Falk - A couple of jewelry thieves are planning one big heist when one of them falls for a local antique dealer. I liked the blend of romance and a caper film. Tom Courtenay was also fun as the manager of the jewelry store. He, Falk, and his partner in crime all had good chemistry. 8/10
Old 02-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
I heard this one being trashed heavily, not so bad then huh?
Sorrentino treats the movie like a big sandbox of aesthetics he can play around in. The script isn't the greatest story-wise but I had a great time just getting wrapped up in the cinematography/direction. If you love crane shots you'll love this movie.

Poliss - 7.5/10
Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Always thought the casting of Cage for this film was wrong, a complete misfire really, a younger unknown actor may have been better I think. He certainly fits the bill with the manic possessed tortured inner-demon issues that's for sure but the guy is too old lets face it.

So they have another crack at this and basically its slightly better than the first, not much, but it does have an edge. For a start the cgi and effects overall are better than the first, the GR looks darker and more burnt with ash and grim rather than the terrible cartoon look he had before. The action is BIG as you would expect, cgi in your face boy! as flames leap around and henchmen get turned into crispy toast, nothing you haven't seen before really so I don't have to explain anymore.

A few plot queries arise for me...why does the devil require a young boy to gain human form when he already has a human form? and why not use any boy instead of going crazy trying to nab one particular boy?. Why didn't the devil just make lots of guys like Blackout? and why not just do that from the start?

My original thought with Blaze (not being up on the mythos) is why does he turn into the Ghost Rider in the presence of evil? surely the devil likes evil? is it because the devil wants evil souls and the GR gathers them for him? can't the devil just do this himself?

Anyway its totally popcorn overdrive and completely daft as you would expect, I think the franchise is now officially dead seeing as this has flopped even more so than the first. Solution? make it like it should be...an adult venture with an 18/R rating, simple.

So end of the day if you wanna see lots of idiotic henchmen that never learn the simple premise of 'bullets don't harm the man/creature your firing at no matter how long you hold the trigger for, so just stop damn firing and run away you utter utter morons'...see this.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Keane

With every camera angle designed to tighten the focus on Damian Lewis, it required no less than an exemplary performance to ensure we got as uncomfortably close to William Keaneís fractured mind as possible. Lewis is fearless in his role, and so committed that itís not comfortable viewing when itís apparent that director and seeming indie wunderkind Lodge Kerrigan wonít let you out of this troubled manís personal space for even a second. You canít escape, and it puts us right in the middle of Keaneís lonely torment, giving a face and story to those neglected members of society who most would be happy to simply dismiss as whackjobs. Itís one of the more claustrophobic journeys into mental illness youíre liable to find precisely because of this in your face style, but goes out with one of the most effective, sensitive endings of the past decade that maximizes the power of the minimal, you might say. Or Iíd say. Whatever.

-> 8/10
Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 PM

Gone(2012)-7/10
Old 03-01-2012, 01:39 AM

Brotherhood of the Wolf(2002)-7/10
Old 03-01-2012, 04:46 AM
my 11th favorite film ever made

10/10
Old 03-01-2012, 09:07 AM

This was different than the typical Jason Statham action movie. The trailers were misleading, I wouldn't even really call it an action movie it's more of a thriller. I liked it.

Last edited by Frosty_86; 03-01-2012 at 09:10 AM..
Old 03-01-2012, 12:31 PM
The White Cliffs of Dover with Irene Dunne - A love story set during the two World Wars with Dunne doing a fine job in the lead role. The story wasn't anything new but it was shot very well and the ending was touching. 7/10

Cedar Rapids - Ed Helms was actually decent in this role which is more subdued than his character on The Office. There were a few funny moments but I wasn't blown away by this film. 6/10
Old 03-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Pre-release
Being Flynn
A Thousand Words (2012)

Post-release
The Artist (2011) B+
Goodbye Uncle Tom (1971) F
The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence) D+
Old 03-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Le Convoyeur

A mostly subdued thriller for what it eventually ends up pulling in the final act (think Reservoir Dogs or Killing Zoe), but the reliance on mystery moves the story along with a prepense of detail and small character moments that make what couldíve been a ponderous affair interesting to watch. Itís easy to figure out the endgame about halfway through, but till then itís fun to guess what motivated Alexandre Demarre to become an armored truck security guard and start building psych profiles of all his co-workers. Is he a thief casing the job for a heist, or is there something altogether different driving him? Once that becomes academic, the film isnít quite as absorbing, veering more obviously into genre thriller territory, but itís entertaining to the end. Recognizable faces are a certain Oscar-winning Artist and that funny French cop from The Transporter, but itís Albert Dupontel as Demarre that scores the most points as the enigmatic hero [anti-hero? Hmm, I wonderÖ].

-> 7/10
Old 03-01-2012, 11:45 PM

Act of Valor(2012)-7/10
Old 03-02-2012, 02:12 AM

The Four Feathers(2002)-7/10
Old 03-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Recently:

A Separation -9/10
Miss Bala -9/10
Better This World -8/10
Wanderers of The Desert -7.5/10
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo ('11) -7.5/10
The Munekata Sisters -7/10
Kung Fu Panda 2 -7/10
Crazy Horse -7/10
Captain America: The First Avenger -7/10
A New Day in Old Sana'a -6/10
Kill List -6/10
The Music Lovers -5/10
Old 03-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Flight To Mars - 5/10
Eldorado - 1/10
Old 03-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Saboteur - A nice melodrama from Hitchcock. Even if it is one of his minor films this has a good story and a very nice ending sequence at the Statue of Liberty. The actors may have been B-level talent but it is still a well made film. 7/10

It's Kind of a Funny Story - I liked Zach Galifainakis but other than him I found the film to be a little dull. Emma Roberts is one of the most boring actresses around - sort of like her aunt. 4/10
Old 03-02-2012, 03:29 PM
MYTH OF THE AMERICAN SLEEPOVER - 8.5/10

Low budget independent film that explores themes of teen angst, friendship, sex and the search of love. It brought me back to my days in high school and how much every single minute event in our lives meant so much more than it should have. It won Special Jury Prize at SXSW last year and it was totally worth watching.
Closed Thread