Old 04-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Wrath of the Titans - 7.5/10 - just like the first one there isn't a 'setup' for the movie but the positive i guess is that it start with action. Slightly better than Clash of the Titans, i guess. It's interesting to know that this director of Wrath of the Titans is he is going to be the one who's going to direct the Bay Produced Ninja "Aliens" Turtle.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:33 PM
The Comedians with Richard Burton - The story of people caught in the Haitian Revolution during Duvalier's regime. I especially liked Alec Guinness as the possible arms dealer or conman depending on which character you believe. It was a good story and probably deserves to be better known. 8/10
Old 04-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Confession 3/10

The Narrows 5/10
Old 04-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Carnage: 7/10
Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 PM
watching on bluray

9/10
Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 PM
This movie was good because of the extremely interesting concept of time as currency. Justin Timberlake was solid in the lead and the supporting cast was pretty good as well. Some of the action scenes fell short, but overall I felt that this was an extremely interesting and enjoyable movie. 7/10
Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 PM

It’s one thing when there is a viewing of a “bad” and “good” movie. There’s another thing entirely when a movie decides to blow away from each of those expectations and deliver a movie that rides in some purgatory part of your brain, with really no words on what the movie brought to the table in terms of filmmaking. The last time this type of feeling had resided in this reviewer had been Wes Craven’s slightly above mediocre Scream 4. Now, this same feeling came again after a viewing of American Reunion, the fourth installment (discounting the direct-to-DVDs) of the American Pie series. But, while this film’s objective seemed to relive the good times that fans of the series had with these cast of characters, the film simply just brings awkwardness and laughs not from the film’s jokes and story, but how stale and simply routine it all feels.

This isn’t a movie for the fans, this was simply a random pitch by a film producer who felt that a reunion of all the cast from the first and second American Pie would bring nostalgic hilarity to all, as well as some decent buck to get their new jet ski. Well, the only bucks that were being exchanged were the paychecks of the cast members, who jump on screen with the dedication that they are at least being paid for this film. The same could also be said to the screenwriters and directors of this film, who put this film together in the most uninspired way possible.

Then again, how inspired can an American Pie film get? For this latest edition, Jason Biggs’s grown up Jim Levenstein and company all get together for the big high school reunion, and so does every predictable growing up/dissatisfied with life plot point. But, fear not, as the gross-out moments and chauvinist actions of Sean William Scott’s Stifler from the previous films are in full force, only a tad more creepy when the realization that these mid-30 year old Scott is trying to hook up with high school seniors. Add the tiring Jim gets in an awkward sexual situation, Jim/Jim’s Dad (Eugene Levy) uncomfortable conversations, and some viewers will pretty much see a pattern of where this film will go.

But, rather than continually lambast this movie, I think I need to commend this film on being pretty hilarious when it was never trying to be. Whether it was Kevin Kline’s line reads in certain scenes, the typical “all characters are in the lowest point” moment by the last quarter of the film, or the hilarious (for all the wrong reasons) cameos of characters that screamed, “Wait! We forgot this character! Uhh…let’s just drop them in this scene, maybe the audience will react?”. The previous American Pie films weren’t comedic masterpieces, but their hearts seemed to be in the right places regarding certain characters’ progressions. This film is artificiality throughout, repeating plot points from other American Pie films to the point where two of the characters’ plot progressions were, beat-for-beat, from the second film.

American Reunion is a bad comedy, but strangely a “So Bad it’s Good” comedy. The big laughs never come from the movie making you laugh with solid comedy material and performance, but rather that moment in a terrible movie viewing experience where you simply break down and burst out laughing on how this film simply is not even trying in the slightest.

3/10
Old 04-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Gonzo: The life and work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

7.5/10
Old 04-10-2012, 01:34 AM
Paycheck (2003)

Another classic Philip K. Dick story is brought to the big screen only this time its been 'Woo'd'. To be very very honest this is pretty much a poor mans 'Minority Report' with a bad cast, accept for the big chinned Eckhart, why this short story has not been given the same care as 'MR' I don't know.

The film plays out with Affleck (yes -_-) as a 'reverse engineer' who...actually I still have no idea really what he is suppose to do in his role, all I know is it involves having his memory wiped after he's done each job but this time he has been used and set up by the evil Eckhart.

Cue allot of running around, guns blazing everywhere, your typical Woo car/motorbike chase with standard silly slow motion stunts and of course your typical standard Woo point blank face off...or Mexican standoff. The concept for the film is pretty neat, not totally original in today's film world but it has promise, unfortunately like 'M.I.2' Woo was totally the wrong director for such a decent sci-fi story.
The whole thing looks bad, especially during the finale which looks like its been filmed on a set from the 60's Batman TV show, plus the acting is poor and hammy from almost everyone. Its all too predictable and quite simply its been done allot better with other films.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:41 AM

The Bourne Identity(2002)-8/10
Old 04-10-2012, 01:48 PM
The Happy Thieves with Rex Harrison and Rita Hayworth - A fun film about art thieves blackmailed into one more job. Harrison was the best part of the film as he had most of the funny lines. 7/10

Devotion with Olivia de Havilland and Ida Lupino - A simplified biography of the Bronte siblings. Anne was almost completely cut out of the story and what was there wasn't anything special. de Havilland and Lupino were the only ones keeping this from being a melodramatic piece of shit. Good thing they were both terrific. 5/10
Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 PM

9/10
Old 04-10-2012, 09:24 PM
American Reunion

It won’t usurp Pie 2 as the piece da resistance of the franchise, but it was a worthy successor to the first for my money, which it has the most in common with. We’re talking ‘90’s nostalgia up the ass (no hairbrush puns intended, I swear), and pretty much all the cast that mattered back in the game, or at least popping in for the requisite cameo. The Sherminator, the MILF guys and even Nadia, they all get a nice sendoff. The first half of the movie falters in the laugh department as the guys find their way back to the group, but once the festivities began with the beach and house parties and the reunion itself, I was lovin’ this shit. Jim’s Dad is finally unleashed thanks to Stifler, which makes one wonder why these two didn’t team up till now. Levy and Scott are hilarious together, definite spinoff material. Though knowing Pie’s spinoff record, it would probably go straight to DVD. Anyway, in closing, if you grew up with these crazy kids and don’t mind a bit of refried gags from the earlier films sprinkled throughout that speaks to lazy writing, you should enjoy it. It’s at least a more well-rounded story than its immediate predecessor, which saw half the cast MIA and the rest of them subordinate to Stifler. Which, contrary to what the producers no doubt thought, was actually not the best idea. But Stifler's ultimate revenge at the end? Fucking BRILLIANT!

-> 7/10
Old 04-10-2012, 10:15 PM
watching on bluray

10/10
Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 AM

The Bourne Supremacy(2004)-8/10
Old 04-11-2012, 02:53 AM
Inglorious Basterds (10/10)
Old 04-11-2012, 07:08 AM

9/10
Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 AM
The Raid: Redemption - 8/10
Old 04-11-2012, 10:53 AM
The Mummy (1999)

After many many different ideas and approaches a final concept was agreed upon and this franchise was kick started, note...I really will try not to mention Indiana Jones too much.

A very loose 'remake' of the classic Karloff horror film this was completely re-imagined and given the 'Indy' treatment with minor horror aspects. To be honest the film is actually a little scary in places with a few jump moments, bugs eating people and getting under their skin and lots of decaying mummies with good close ups, like 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' the film achieves the family adventure status despite actually being close to the bone here and there.

The film of course had dated now and the effects that were break through for the day now look pretty dreadful in places, the cgi on the main mummy is dire, bluescreen work is obvious, sets are obvious and the sand effects also look poor. This is of course looking at the effects now, as I said back in the day they were pretty neato, the best examples that still actually look good today are probably at the finale battle with a group of Egyptian mummy soldiers and some real time models, suits and makeup, the severed forearm crawling for the sword is a good 'Evil Dead' moment.

I always did hate the way Imhotep turned into a mini sand tornado for his vanishing act and kinda flew out the window, really nasty video game effects and idea there, looked dumb then...looks dumb now.

The plot is cheesy and simple as are most of the performances, you can easily tell who's gonna die right from the start because most of the character actors here are the usual cannon/monster fodder in other films. I know the film is suppose to be a kind of homage to B-movies and those old daring black and white adventure matinee flicks but the cast do really give the film a rough n ready feel, its almost as if they couldn't attract anyone else. Everyone is pretty well cliched to the hilt here with your toff sounding British accents, trigger happy yanks, the horrendous Kevin J. O'Connor, the odd but well cast Vosloo who plays it deadly straight and a nice little turn for British comedian Omid Djalili in a rather stereotyped role.

Its definitely one of if not the best period adventure type flicks that can hold a candle to old Indiana Jones, the only other few films that can challenge 'Dr Jones' in my opinion are 'The Rocketeer' which would be a flying Indy hehe and probably 'The Phantom' and 'The Shadow'. Looking back is was a good fun ride, nowadays its still fun but more like a bad video game of sorts. I think they tried too hard and went over the top with all the guns, stunts and stuck in too much slapstick, sure it was meant to be a blockbuster (and that's its problem really) but less is more right.

The Mummy Returns (2001)

The one thing I can say about this sequel straight away is kudos for the continuity, Sommers has managed to gather all the original cast to carry on and this does wonders for an otherwise very average film. Usually you tend to see the odd character played by someone else which always looks poor in my eyes.

Any who we kick off again with more nasty villains after treasure and power which we all know will end in tears...and probably some kind of horrible face melting death, there I go with my 'Indy' comparisons again. This time we have the combination of Imhotep back for more punishment with his reincarnated love, the Scorpion King which doesn't really serve much purpose other than to give 'The Pebble'....I mean 'The Rock' a spin off franchise and a small group of nasty well spoken cads led by British thesp Alun Armstrong.

The main problem with this follow up is thus, they gave the now happily married heroes a son as baggage, this of course automatically equals a much kiddie friendly film with allot more slapstick, dumb humour and much much less horror. Of course the first film did very well so you can't blame them for opening up the film for an even wider audience but of course they lose allot of integrity and faith from the more mature fans. I should really point out that they take the Indy comparisons a bit too far by actually dressing all the villains henchmen in the same type of costumes as in 'Temple of Doom'....really that was the last Indy thing I swear.

The entire film is much more of a cgi show this time around, that wouldn't be an issue but the cgi really has not dated well, even less so than the original film, hell even at the time this cgi wasn't too good. Add to this allot more over the top action which becomes too silly, terrible bluescreen shots, a laughable effort at a cgi scorpion cross 'The Rock' monster and almost the same sequences shot for shot from the first film in places...did I mention the horrific cgi?

Yes you get what you pay for here, you want more ludicrous mummy blasting action? you got it, you want action figure characters all dressed in desert coloured attire spouting the most idiotic, state the obvious exposition dialog? look no further. Unfortunately like many blockbuster sequels they just get carried away and completely lose your suspension of disbelief. Can't complain too much as you know exactly what to expect from this and it doesn't pretend to be anything else, personally I think it was just a poor glossy rehash which is more cartoon than film. The final 20min as the action all comes together is one of the biggest cgi messes I've seen ever, everything looks really very clearly artificial, but hey the Egypt setting was an enjoyable ride.

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

Probably the best film of the trilogy in my opinion, the first was a nice idea but they tried too hard, the second felt like a complete rehash with terrible effects but this is quite a fun romp. Its very silly (having abominable snowmen help out at one point and a rather daft plane crash sequence) and over the top, but the likeable Fraser and classic boy's own adventure style really shines through. The cgi is really smart in this film, its very good, crisp and realistic (accept for a dodgy dragon transformation sequence).

I must admit you do get an 'Indy' shiver down your back (duh!) maybe we have seen this all before, especially the predictable story line involving father n son action and even a hint at Peru for another possible story, Indy went to South America didn't he hehe. Did I mention Indy there again? no no no no no...well maybe yes, it can't be helped, really it can't!

The setting in China adds a nice or different type of mystical feel, another countries mummies and history well explored, and a touch of class which you always seem to get when a film is set in the East, the landscapes look awesome in the final battle scenario also.
The final 20mins of the film are really good, really takes the film up a notch, excellent use of cgi for some epic army visuals and some great magic and monster fun.

Better than the lame 'National Treasure' films and a darn good Indy style flick in my personal opinion...I know everyone hated this.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Banjo On My Knee - Barbara Stanwyck and Walter Brennan were pretty good in this film about a group of people living on an island in the Mississippi River. Joel McCrea was pretty boring as Stanwyck's husband though. The story was pretty predictable but Stanwyck is my favorite actress so there was something to enjoy. 6/10

Going Home - One of Robert Mitchum's better performances as a father who reunites with his son years after killing the boy's mother. The tension between the two was really palpable throughout the film and everyone did a fine job. 8/10
Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 PM
watching on bluray

8/10
Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 PM
The Accused - 8/10
El Labertino Del Fauno - 9/10
Old 04-11-2012, 09:36 PM
just finished watching my dvd of this for the first time not as good as the first film but fun to watch

8/10
Old 04-11-2012, 11:59 PM

American Reunion(2012)-7/10
Old 04-12-2012, 01:58 AM

The Bourne Ultimatum(2007)-8/10
Old 04-12-2012, 02:09 AM
30 seconds or less - 8/10
The Infidel - 7/10
The skin I live In - 8/10
The straight story - 8/10
Mallrats - 8/10

A great movie experience over the last few days, I give movies like 30 seconds or less & Mallrats an 8 because they simply do what a comedy should do make you laugh.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:21 AM
first time viewing just finished on bluray

8/10
Old 04-12-2012, 04:18 AM
now watching on dvd

8/10
Old 04-12-2012, 05:32 AM
now watching on dvd

8/10
Old 04-12-2012, 01:42 PM
So Goes My Love with Don Ameche and Myrna Loy - The film is about the home life of an eccentric inventor. I liked Loy as his wife but Ameche just wasn't a very good actor. He tried to be funny but everything just fell flat. The kid was annoying as well. Good thing Loy was such a good actress. 5/10

X-Men First Class - This is better than I thought it would be. I especially liked James McAvoy and Jennifer Lawrence. The story was better than most superhero stories and the effects were impressive without overshadowing other aspects of the film. 8/10
Old 04-12-2012, 02:58 PM
The Scorpion King (2002)

So oddly enough this character was actually loosely based on a real Egyptian leader which does make things a little more interesting, not a franchise saver by any means but its cool to read up on it. This spin off is set 5000 years before the events of 'The Mummy' which does seem rather a long time to me.

Great title, slightly dull execution, we all knew what to expect here, Johnson running around half naked killing endless enemies with no apparent fighting skills. I will be completely truthful here and say this film isn't too bad, if you squint at it its almost pretty good, the fights are solid along with the stunts, cast does the job for the type of film this is and more importantly it actually looks good without any silly cgi to spoil the broth.

If you took out the historical setting you could quite easily say this was a sequel/prequel to the 'Conan' franchise really, its your basic swords n sorcery fantasy just without any monsters, its better than the recent official Conan effort. So yeah...this is not too bad, Kelly Hu looks lovely and Johnson is clearly learning the ropes showing promise.

The Scorpion King 2: Rise of a Warrior (2008)

Right now this is a prequel to the first Scorpion King film showing 'Mathayus' as a young lad and up n coming warrior. The lead for this film is a guy called Michael Copon and to be honest he does actually look like a young Johnson, credit where credits due the guy does pull off a reasonable young Johnson.

The same cannot be said for the dreadful Couture who can't act to save his life, the guy is a meat head and should only be used for fight sequences with his stature, why anyone would wanna use him for a speaking role is beyond me. The rest of the cast aren't too bad with a sexy young female, an intellectual Greek poet, a Chinese acrobat and a few mercs, quite a cute little band in a 'D&D' or 'LOTR' type way.

There are still some reasonably high production values here as the film just about looks OK, there is a battle against a Minotaur which could have been worse but has some good editing and a foray into the underworld which has some nice visuals. The finale is rather flat and does have a nasty cgi scorpion to deal with but overall I have seen much worse (this chapter is a bit more mythological), it still could have been much better of course, dealing with a young Scorpion King is good material to be mined but we have what we have.

The Scorpion King 3: Battle for Redemption (2012)

I don't get Ron Perlman I really don't, the guy is a pretty big Hollywood star yet he still takes jobs like this! I know he does act in allot of cheap sci-fi/fantasy and some of it can be good cult stuff but surely he could see how bad this was gonna be.

So this is now the sequel to the first film as we follow an older 'Mathayus' as events lead up towards what would happen before 'The Mummy 2'. Usual appearance for the film of course but its notably cheaper looking with lots of really bad background extras hehe if you watch the battles (of which there are many) most of them haven't a clue what they are doing.

The plot is all jumbled up and dull, its all about over throwing this king or that king and getting another for assistance or whatever...I dunno really, I wasn't sure who is wanting what but all you need to know is everything looks cheap, even the fights don't look convincing.

I just find it hard to believe they even got the well spoken Billy Zane and Temuera Morrison in this! Morrison does actually look the part with his shaven head and Zane as always injects some humour into the proceedings which is probably the best thing in the film, the Scorpion King is played by some guy I have never heard of.

Its all terrible, pretty wooden, obvious shell sets, a big fat oaf sidekick character because its funny when he burps apparently and some dubious Mortal Kombat style magical characters at the end, I was not amused.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Equilibrium - 8/10
Old 04-12-2012, 09:27 PM
watching on dvd

8/10
Old 04-12-2012, 11:49 PM
A Night to Remember

After Cameron engraved his imagery into my mind, this seems tame in comparison - but the film is still quite an achievement for the time it was made in and that is always fascinating and admirable, to me. Actually, in comparison to Titanic, you can tell Cameron took inspiration, or at least paid a homage to this film - visually. All in all, I liked it.

7/10
Old 04-13-2012, 01:18 AM
American Pie - 6/10
Old 04-13-2012, 01:22 AM
Caught up on a lot of movies the past week or so.

21 Jump Street - 6.5/10
Pretty funny. It's weird, because it started so underrated, I feel like maybe it's a bit overrated now. I had a couple friends say it was "better then Superbad", and while I did laugh at a decent amount of jokes, it's not even close to that company. Surprisingly Tatum, not Hill (who I like more then most on this site it seems) steals the show. Little James Franco was surprisingly good too. Ice Cube was terrible as always and almost any single other person in the world probably would have been better his for his role. Oh well, still a pretty enjoyable movie, and probably a decent rewatch since it's light and actiony and full of familiar faces.

Glengarry Glen Ross - 8/10
The fucking leads. The fucking leads. Finally saw this. Great performances from pretty much everyone in the cast. Pacino is in primetime Pacino mode here and steals pretty much all of his scenes. Spacey, Lemmon, Baldwin, Arkin, Harris all were good too. Not the most exciting or entertaining movie of all time, and to be honest after a while I just kind of got tired of hearing about the fucking leads, but still glad I finally got around to it.

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - 8/10
Probably my favorite Mission: Impossible. Liked the first, really didn't like the second, liked the third but still think it coud've been better. In fact this one kind of reminds me of the third one, but with a better plot. Jeremy Renner is pretty much awesome in everything he's in. Simon Pegg's always good, and Paula Patton is ridiculously hot in this movie. Totally forgot Lost's Sawyer was in this. Anyways the action scenes were ridiculous, Brad Bird got everything right and made the franchise seem fresh without even having to reboot it.

The Sitter - 4/10
Eh you know exactly what it is before you even see the movie, so it's sort of pointless to even watch it. But I guess there are worse ways you could spend 90 or so minutes. Jonah Hill's both good and bad through various parts of the movie. Sam Rockwell is tits though. Wish he got more screen time instead of the 3 kids, who except for the main socially anxious one, just got on my nerves more then anything. The stupidity of the plot is a little hard to bare at times, but there are some decent moments scattered throughout. BTW what the hell happened to David Gordon Green?

The Muppets - 6/10
Didn't love it as much as the rest of the world did, or as much as I thought I would. To be fair, I'm not much of a musicals guy. And I like the Muppets but I don't have a real personal connection to them. Still, the movie works for the most part. Jason Segel is apparently in it, though I barely remember his character at all other then that his name rhymed with Amy Adams' character. Chris Cooper does a really bad 'white guy rapping' segment that sort of made me sad as a huge fan of his. Still, the humor's pretty clever and there are some heartfelt moments and decent cameos along the way.

The Big Year - 2/10
I have no idea why the hell I watched this.

The Skin I Live In - 8.5/10
This kind of blew my mind. I'm actually not that well versed in Almodovar, I've been really meaning to give his stuff a look but never got around to it. Loved this one though. Almost reminded me of a Cronenberg/Lynch type film, with the dark, odd themes of sexuality. There were some slow moments, and a huge deal of the movie is told in basically just one big flashback, which seems kind of easy, but the story's still interesting enough to compensate.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:05 AM

Sneakers(1992)-8/10
Old 04-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Wild Target - Bill Nighy was pretty good as the hit man but everything else about the film fell flat. Especially Rupert Grint. He's just not much of an actor. 4/10

The Station Agent - This film had really good performances all around. I think Patricia Clarkson was probably my favorite character. It's a pretty simple story but it's one of those films that just relies on the actors talents to make a good film. 8/10
Old 04-13-2012, 04:48 PM
The Raid-9.5/10
Old 04-13-2012, 08:21 PM
watching on bluray

9/10
Closed Thread