The Cabin in the Woods

Loved it! 9.5/10
Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Had a double feature at the flicks:

Margaret (9/10)
Miss Bala (8/10)
Old 04-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Melancholia

Haunting, absorbing, beautifully photographed, and surprisingly entertaining. To a point, but consider the source – Lars Von Trier, a man behind some of the most disturbing, horrific, alien imagery you’re ever likely to see onscreen in your lifetime. For him it’s fairly accessible. The ending especially will stay with you long after it’s over, though it’s funny that in watching this – an indie “psychological disaster movie”, as someone dubbed it – I couldn’t help but think of a certain commercial disaster movie out of the ‘90’s that I would guess most fans of Von Trier wouldn’t piss on if that film’s projector burst into flame. But it’s an interesting piece of work with a sharp eye for visual aesthetic and mood, and a canny one for performance. Von Trier gets the most out of Kirsten Dunst, whose performance is indeed very good, though personally I preferred Von Trier favorite Charlotte Gainsbourg as the put-upon big sister trying to keep lil’ sis Dunst on the rails. If there’s one major distraction, it’s the decision to split it into two separate stories. A necessary conceit with the thematic overlay of hope and hopelessness that Gainsbourg and Dunst represent, but it still makes for uneven viewing. But Von Trier isn't a guy who plays well by any conventional rules, so why start now, right? Fuck it.

-> 7/10
Old 04-14-2012, 01:25 PM
The Descent - 8/10
Old 04-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Suicide Room 9/10
Shame 7/10
Old 04-14-2012, 07:52 PM
The Muppets (9/10)
Old 04-14-2012, 08:04 PM
watching on dvd

5.5/10
Old 04-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Kingdom of Heaven ( Special Extended Director's Cut )

It's Ridley Scott so the camera work is awesome. Musical score is also very good. The story is solid but my main problem is the lenght of the movie : 190 min.

I know ... Special Extended Director's Cut but that's like 45 minutes more than the theatrical version. I would have prefered only 10 more minutes but with downtime in original version shortened. Like saying 10 minutes longer but with 25 minutes of new footage :s And do we need 2 minutes of black screen to say ACT IV ?

7.5/10

PS. that poster is horrible
Old 04-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Donnie Darko - 9/10
Old 04-15-2012, 12:45 AM

Sleeping Beauty(2011)-6/10
Old 04-15-2012, 02:48 AM

Robin Hood(1922)-8/10
Old 04-15-2012, 02:58 AM
Contraband

It's always refreshing to see a film, particularly a crime film that has a different setting or integrates elements into it that usually aren't touched upon, or rarely are touched upon in other films. The entire container ship angle is that kind of angle and I love that it takes more than a few scenes of the film. Michael Mann's touched upon it briefly in Miami Vice, and I guess you can say Nolan, in Batman Begins. I guess in Hollywood nobody could figure out a way how to make a film out of it, other than use it as a quick device for a smuggling of "X Y Z" in a film. It took a European, specifically an Icelandic, to remake a film he starred in to bring it all to the forefront. I've always loved films that use the industrial complex as a setting, plus it always works for as the realistic aspect. The film was decent, but practically everything else is a tired formula of a "guy fucks up. other guy fixes shit by taking on the job. etc etc" However in all its familiarity, it's still a fun film.

7/10
Old 04-15-2012, 03:56 AM
Speed (1994) - 8/10

A quintessential 90's action blockbuster and one of the finest ever made. It's been quite awhile since my last viewing but I'm stunned by the craftsmanship and how unimaginative most blockbusters are today by comparison. Sandra Bullock is the brightest aspect playing that plucky young 20-something we all fell in love with so many years ago. The big freeway moment did get an eye roll, but it still kinda works if you get caught up in the suspense. Nonetheless, I have not seen an action flick this well done in quite some time.

The Cabin in the Woods - 8/10

This is a piece of smart, funny, ridiculously entertaining filmmaking that you know everyone had a great time putting together. And there's even a girl who reminded me of Willow from the Buffy. There are so many ideas that they try to cram in the already small time span that its almost overwhelming. But the pace remains steady and the layers peel at such a steady rate that I just stopped guessing the next move. Its best not to know any plot developments because it won't make any sense unless you explain everything. My only complaint is that due to the nature of the story there is not quite enough horror, but the overall story stays true to the horror roots, its just the amount of comedy elevates it out of the scare-sector.

At a Q&A I attended, Drew Goddard shared this story
Spoiler:
His first meeting with Sigourney Weaver on set he was really nervous. The first words out of her mouth were, "when does the werewolf get here?" And she was worried he wouldn't have a place to sit at lunchtime, so she insisted on sitting with him. Weaver just really loves werewolves.

Bully - 6/10

I saw this about two weeks ago, hesitating to post as I wanted to sit on my thoughts for a bit. I really wanted to love this doc because at the end of the day it has a great heart but it lacks the craftsmanship and audacity of some other bold docs. The topic itself is indeed quite bold but I do not think the director tackles every aspect in a way that questions others actions and feelings on this very fragile subject. From what I gathered by the end of the film is that
Spoiler:
we need to stand up for those kids who are too afraid to speak up. Support them. Help Them. Ok, thats a good start but what about some other issues.
We see day to day of a few different kids/teenagers and the situation they live in due to others bullying them. Instead of being concise with his subjects, the director tends to meander and focus on daily occurrences that do not matter. Such as how the kids go about their daily life. While we do see the necessary moments where bully's are in a full force of torment, there are other scenes that do not add anything to the proceedings, nor do they increase my emotional attachment to these people. I also did not feel that one of the parents was positively supporting their child, instead giving him a guilt trip for being picked on. Some of these kids don't have the self-esteem to support themselves in public situations, what is the cause of this? How are they going to take care of themselves when they reach adulthood? By being more inquisitive about the various issues and different situations kids are subjected to, this doc could've been incredible. But it doesn't seem to ask many questions at all, it just shows what a travesty bullying is. If that was the entire intent, then bravo. But there were many moments where I wanted things to be taken further, but alas it does not have the guts.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:23 AM
The Avengers

The Avengers is that rare/comic book/action film,that not only provides exciting and fun action sequences,but also pulled me in emotionally with its provition of backstory and view of the inner demons of the colorful characters that inhabit this nearly perfect film.

Director/writer Joss Whedon deserves praise for doing his homework on some of the most popular characters in the world.He puts the nature,spirit and mannerisms i love about the characters on the big screen
Each character is given multiple times to shine Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark / Iron Man,Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America,Mark Ruffalo as Dr. Bruce Banner / Hulk,Chris Hemsworth as Thor,Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow
Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton / Hawkeye,Tom Hiddleston as Loki,Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury,Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill,Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson,and Gwyneth Paltrow
as Pepper Potts
A lot of other films have attempted to put a ton of characters in a film which resulted in an overpopulated film, in which i ended up not caring for the characters and i felt the studio behind the film was just looking for action figure and Happy Meal money.
The Avengers is the complete opposite of the aforementioned.
Whedon also gets better performances from the cast,far better than what was displayed in the connecting Marvel films that lead to The Avengers.He lets the characters get under each other's skin,they not only poke fun at each other
but each character has their own Self-deprecating moments

There are revelations and surprises that are the icing on the cake of this fun film.
It has some flaws,the standout is that it borrows a bit from a couple of popular
Sci-Fi films.
Other than that everything else works just the right amount of romance,humor,and action.
If you are a Marvel super fan,casual fan or just a lover of action films,if you dont have fun with this film,check your pulse because you may be dead!!
I truly hope Whedon returns to direct the second ,third ,fourth Avengers film...yes im thinking ahead but thats how much i loved this movie
Scale of 1-10 a 9

Sidenote
Security was so tight for this screening,cell phones,and laptops,any type of recording device was collected plus i was waved with a metal detector and security scanned the crowd with nightvision.Sure it was annoying but i think Marvel/Disney just want people to experience the film they way it should be on the big screen!!!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:39 AM

8/10

6/10
Old 04-15-2012, 04:18 PM
The Change-up - 7/10
Old 04-15-2012, 05:12 PM
The Hunter

6/10
Old 04-15-2012, 05:20 PM
The Pirates! Band Of Misfits - 6/10
Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 PM
watching on dvd

9/10
Old 04-15-2012, 11:50 PM

The Crimson Pirate(1952)-8/10
Old 04-16-2012, 02:57 AM
Hall Pass (6/10)
Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 AM
watching on dvd

10/10 my 12th favorite film of all time
Old 04-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Memento - 9/10
Old 04-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Fear - Original Cut (1983) - 6/10
Visions Of Ecstasy - 5/10
Just hype. /surprise.

Last edited by Cronos; 04-16-2012 at 08:08 PM..
Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 PM

8/10
Old 04-16-2012, 09:01 PM

The plot of the new horror film from the mind of Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard is as simple as it gets. Five college kids go to a cabin to hang out, and some horrific things happen. But, while the story is pretty simple, the film is anything but. It’s a true celebration of horror films, with a dedication and love for why viewers go to see this films, and how the future is always in need of one good shake up of the genre.

Whedon and Goddard take the formula of horror to the purest and basic formula in the opening act, allowing for the audience to know the players in the game and enjoy their company. From there, there’s a steady control of tempering with the audience’s expectations, like a child’s first magic show that seem to know the strings, but are soon introduce to another piece that bewilders, yet fascinates them. Then, once the rabbit is out of the hat, Whedon and Goddard let the magic of horror films run wild, going to unexpected and fascinating places for the genre until they culminate to one joyous final bow before the credits appear.

But, the real joy of this film is the subtle thematic elements that play into account of the film. There’s a story that has enough layers to the first and final act, but audiences can come away with some great commentary of the horror genre and its current place in this Hollywood day and age. It’s no Scream, where the aspects of the “slasher” genre are laid out for the viewers to observe and chuckle at, but rather in a more subdued fashion where it flows with the film’s plot.

The cast certainly knows what sort of magic is being created, as they all handled their parts excellently. But, the directing talents of newcomer Drew Goddard are the key to handle the actors and script. He knows how to blend the horror and comedic moments so that one never overwhelms the other, allowing both moods to settle comfortably with one another.

The Cabin in the Woods is a horror film that knows how to grab genre fans, shake them up, and let them go before they ruin a good thing. Director Drew Goddard and co-writer Joss Whedon love what horror brings to the table, and wants to share that love with anyone that is interested to what they have to say.

9.5/10

The film adaptation of Suzanne Collins’s best selling novel is a bit of a pickle. On one hand, it wants to create it’s own adaption in cinematic form, bringing a different outlook to how the book handles the material. On another hand, there are moments where the film can’t seem to stay away from the book’s proceedings, leading to certain moments in the book to translate poorly to the film. What culminates is a film that never really has its own voice, as it seems too preoccupied to add a more interesting dynamic to what the book offers, while also having a checklist to make sure everything is from the book.

The best comparison that The Hunger Games can be classified is if the totalitarian setting of 1984 merged with the short story of The Most Dangerous Game. The central character, Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence), must take part in the annual Hunger Games, a fight-to-the-death television show with the lower class teenagers as the star attraction, much to the amusement of the rich upper class. While the book is more of an internalization of the struggle of Katniss, the film takes a more outward approach of the characters and setting. The film revels in the themes of reality and celebrity shows regarding the Hunger Games, while also providing a solid commentary on class distinction.

But, while director Gary Ross certainly enjoys delving into these themes, he certainly maintains what makes the character of Katniss work, with help by actress Jennifer Lawrence. Lawrence keeps the novel’s internalization of Katniss simply through screen presence and small character moments. She certainly carries the movie in certain parts, even when the script shortchanges her in other departments regarding romance angles.

But, as the Hunger Games book is more of an “easy reading” type of book, the film seems comfortable towards being an easy film experience, never trying to delve into the darker aspects of what made the book so interesting. There are small moments from the book that the film handles just about perfectly, as well as adding some great scenes that are not even in the book. But, the film never seems to handle the overarching idea of the book in a real cohesive manner. Screenwriters Gary Ross, Billy Ray, and author Suzanne Collins have the cake right in front of it, but seem pleased to take small bites from certain parts of it, rather than eat the whole thing. This leads to a film that never feels solid as a whole, when it certainly has the potential to be.

The Hunger Games is certainly a fine introduction to what’s sure to be a big film franchise based of Suzanne Collins’s trilogy of books, but the adaptation may strike bit of a false chord for lovers of the book. There’s just a feeling of unevenness to the whole film when some things work well, while other story aspects seem sort of passive and unimportant when they shouldn’t be.

7/10
Old 04-16-2012, 09:50 PM
watching this b-movie classic

7.5/10
Old 04-17-2012, 02:51 AM
The Cabin In The Woods - 8/10
The Debt - 7/10
Old 04-17-2012, 03:22 AM
Death Trance (JAP, 2005)

An apocalyptic samurai, ninja, sci-fi western fantasy with characters that wouldn't look out of place in Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat and various other Japanese RPG videogames, that is how I can best describe this eye popping flick, odd title though.

The main star here is again the ultra cool Tak Sakaguchi, here in a kind of supernatural samurai mode as a mythic character who drags a coffin behind him everywhere he goes (and an odd little girl in your typical Japanese 'The Ring' spooky fashion) as he basically slaughters all who stand before him. His name is 'Grave' and he searches for the ultimate battle....rock on that!

This film is pretty similar to 'Versus' in the location (a forest), it stars Tak as some kind of super hero again and the fact the story is really quite bizarre and makes no real sense, plus it appears to be in a place and time that don't exist. So basically Tak has nicked the coffin from a temple and is taking it to a spot in the forest so it can grant him anything he wants...it seems the coffin can do this. Or does it? a monk is also after Tak and the coffin to stop it being opened and releasing the Goddess of destruction who will kick start an apocalypse...that's not a good thing. The monk is aided by...wait for it...Steven Seagal Jr. yep that's right, or his real name Kentaro Seagal (sounds like a Mortal Kombat character), all of them battle bandits and non human creatures to reach their respective goals.

The film is fast and furious with fights breaking out all over the show and many of them being...well kinda average actually. Most seem too frantic and you can see the hits aren't making contact, also to be honest Tak isn't really a well built guy, he's cool but he doesn't really come across as tough and never really looks like he could really be whipping hordes of bad guys endlessly.

The look of the film is really what sets this apart, all the costumes are a kind of cross between traditional Japanese period wear with 'Mad Max', 'Water World', 'Conan', 'Krull' and many other fantasy type films throw in, it all looks highly stylish. Add to this a complete 'Army of Darkness' approach to the dark humour, camera work, extreme supernatural entities and wickedly evil looking weapons which do also include a kind of samurai 'boomstick' hehe.

Put it this way, the director of this film is Yuji Shimomura and he was the action director for 'Versus' (eh eh...you see, you see I came full circle there) and Devil May Cry 3 so I think you can get the gist of what I'm trying to explain here, the film is pretty much an explosive visual videogame. Its probably better than 'Versus' in my personal view as I reeeally didn't follow that a tall haha this is easier to follow plus it looks ace. I dunno why but the Japanese are just good at this kind of stuff, had this been a Hollywood flick with the usual overpaid names it would have been trash.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:35 AM
I will watch the three stooges today.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:07 AM
watching on dvd

8/10
Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Family Plot - Hitchcock's final film isn't up to his usual standards but it is still a decent film. There isn't much of his usual suspense but some of the performances, especially Bruce Dern's, were fun. 6/10

The Purchase Price with Barbara Stanwyck - Stanwyck was about the only good thing in this little film. The plot made little sense and her costar wasn't very good. She was able to make this a passable film due to her talent. 5/10
Old 04-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Gangster No. 1 - 7/10
Old 04-17-2012, 04:19 PM
About to rent Ghost Protocol
Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 PM
The Cabin In The Woods

Like Evil Dead 2 or Shaun of the Dead, it's horror/comedy that not only makes a successful blend of the funny and scary, but sustains it for its entire duration, while frequently pulling both off simultaneously. Eli Roth tried a few times and failed miserably every single time, and should be jealous right about now. Leave it to the tag team of Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon to accomplish this symbiosis, where Goddard is no stranger to the macabre and intense (Cloverfield) and Whedon knows how to drop a great one-liner or witty sight gag (or both) into a movie whether nothing is happening or if people are getting horribly mutilated. This is a movie that gets so meta that it threatens to overload on its own self-awareness and implode, but it’s so expertly regulated that you never get too comfy with the funny stuff before the suspense grabs you by the throat again. Fucking insane ending, though, and I'm not sure if I mean that in a good way yet. But speaking of funny, it’s worth it to watch for Bradley Whitford and Richard Jenkins, whose scenes – best not elaborated on here in any way, trust me - had me and the audience cracking up every time on cue. Yes, Joss, we are your puppets…

-> 8/10

Last edited by syxxpac; 04-17-2012 at 09:19 PM..
Closed Thread