Old 07-04-2011, 11:13 PM
SALO - Never Seen It. Should I?

Ok folks. I have seen this movie's name thrown around the internet ever since I have had a PC and been online. It's in my local video shop for rent.
All I know is that it's about SHIT? Eating shit? Sodomy? The hell. Do I need to see this flick, just so I can say that I have indeed seen it? Is it a well made film?

Opinions and/or criticisms will be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Life's too short for movies like Salo. Forget that it's disgusting; it just sucks. Full of empty ideas. I promise, your time can always be better spent than watching dreck like this. Always. Move along.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Hmm. I thought as much actually. I have always had kind of a 6th sense about films to stay clear of. And Salo was always one of them. Hence, why after all of this time I have not bothered to view it. Thanks, AceD for the input. I think that I can live my life without this movie as a part of it. I just was curious what all the inconsistent fuss was about over it. Actually, from what little of images and stuff I have seen, it looks awful. And the subject matter seems sort of unnecessary. I dunno. Plenty other stuff out there I have yet to see that is way above Salo on my to-watch list.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Based on what you've said so far in this thread I'd say no, don't see it.

The poster you replied to doesn't know what he's talking about. This film is not empty, it is full of political commentaries and it's made by one of the most well-respected film makers of all time.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by o_O View Post
it is full of political commentaries and it's made by one of the most well-respected film makers of all time.
None of those things make a good movie in and of themselves. And I agree, Pasolini is a great filmmaker. But the film is still shit (not to mention that it's full of actual shit). But the fecal matter isn't why I find it empty and pointless; I find it useless and ham-fisted because it's ideas are so bluntly illustrated in the most negative sense of the word simplistic. It's empty ideas surrounded by allegedly shocking or edgy material with an empty soul. As someone smarter than me said, there's no there there.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:43 PM
I've always wondered If this movie was worth a viewing however the the more & more I heard about It the further I've withdrawn myself to ever seeing It, I may do one day.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
None of those things make a good movie in and of themselves. And I agree, Pasolini is a great filmmaker. But the film is still shit (not to mention that it's full of actual shit). But the fecal matter isn't why I find it empty and pointless; I find it useless and ham-fisted because it's ideas are so bluntly illustrated in the most negative sense of the word simplistic. It's empty ideas surrounded by allegedly shocking or edgy material with an empty soul. As someone smarter than me said, there's no there there.
I never said that's why it's good, I said that's why it's not an empty film. The bluntness of the movie is exactly why it doesn't have an "empty soul". It's portraying serious political issues in the most disgusting way possible to get the point across that these things are harmful and they are to be taken seriously.

Your objections to it are pretty strange. He didn't hide his intentions enough? Why should he? There's a time and place for those sorts of movies and this isn't one of them. The whole point of his movie is the over-the-top style he uses to get his points across. The effectiveness of this can vary from person to person, but to say it's empty is just wrong. Transformers is empty. This is not.

Last edited by o_O; 07-05-2011 at 06:59 PM..
Old 07-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by o_O View Post
Based on what you've said so far in this thread I'd say no, don't see it.

The poster you replied to doesn't know what he's talking about. This film is not empty, it is full of political commentaries and it's made by one of the most well-respected film makers of all time.
This. Have you ever heard of Marquis de Sade? He was a great author and his novel, 120 Days of Sodom was a perverse masterpiece. The film has quite a bit of social commentary on (particularly Italian) Fascism and how it effects the rulers, society, and the people. It's not just "SHIT? Eating shit? Sodomy?" If one is too shallow to see this past the packaging should not be watching it anyways. This certainly isn't a film for everybody, clearly, but just because one is too weak-stomached to handle the content of this film is no reason to bash its artistic integrity.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:52 PM
It's one of those films that's only worth checking out if you want to see if it lives up to the controversy.

I watched it a number of years ago and didn't think much of it, I didn't find it shocking.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:02 PM
wasn't disturbed by it at all....more like bored by it
Old 07-05-2011, 08:26 PM
I have mixed feelings about the film. On the one hand, I completely admire the vision and the biting political commentary delivered through the film's allegorical setting. That's all well and good, but at the end of the day, this film IS very exploitative, and extremely uncomfortable to watch. It's very shocking, especially near the end, and it becomes even worse when you realize that many of the actors appearing completely naked for most of the duration of the film were possibly underage. Whatever you decide, make sure you watch it alone. I actually saw this in a relatively crowded theater at my local cinematheque and it was the most awkward movie-going experience I've ever had.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Nah, Salo ain't worth it.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:15 PM
It is just a movie like other movies, and it's probably less violent and graphic than modern day horror movies. I don't think it's dramatic enough to wonder whether or not you should avoid it despite a curiosity.

If you're curious, I don't think it's scarring. Youtube some choice scenes to preview them for yourself on a small screen.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks, everyone. I may just check out some clips etc.

Mono, I couldn't do that. Watch a film like that with anyone. How awkward as you say.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:15 PM
It is historically and politically significant so despite its disturbing content it is a work of high art.