Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Hic sunt dracones!: George R.R. Martin's 'A Dance with Dragons'

Almost under two days until Martin's latest in his landmark series is released. Though I'm a voracious consumer of literature, I've never actually been excited before a book's release as I am for this, particularly given it's recent reviews:

From NPR:
Quote:
I think Martin's fantasy series...is the great epic of our era. It's an epic for a more profane, more sardonic, more ambivalent age than the one Tolkien lived in.
From TIME:
Quote:
But the real power of Martin's work arises from his extraordinary skill as a plotter. A Dance with Dragons follows, by my count, 11 major story lines, as well as assorted minor ones, each with its own rhythm, written in its own voice, and each playing off all the others. Martin will never win a Pulitzer or a National Book Award, but his skill as a crafter of narrative exceeds that of almost any literary novelist writing today.
From The Daily Beast:
Quote:
A Dance With Dragons, the longest of the installments of A Song of Ice and Fire to date, might also be Martin’s finest work yet, a taut and relentless masterpiece.
I got it coming on pre-order from Amazon ($18? I think so) ASAP on Tuesday. Winter is...well, here I guess.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:34 PM
You have no idea how bad I want to read this book. I had to start the Kingkiller Chronicles and The Witcher series just to keep me from thinking about reading A Dance with Dragons. It's possible I may just not do anything but eat, read and crap until I'm finished with the book.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden_208 View Post
You have no idea how bad I want to read this book. I had to start the Kingkiller Chronicles and The Witcher series just to keep me from thinking about reading A Dance with Dragons. It's possible I may just not do anything but eat, read and crap until I'm finished with the book.
Yeah...I'm heavily considering calling out of work...worth it? Of course.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Is this going to be our spoiler free thread? We should also probably create a separate thread for spoilers maybe?

Either way I'll be avoiding anything closely related to the topic until I finish reading the book, because you just know some D-bag is gonna spoil it in "Snape kills Dumbledore" style.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Is this going to be our spoiler free thread? We should also probably create a separate thread for spoilers maybe?

Either way I'll be avoiding anything closely related to the topic until I finish reading the book, because you just know some D-bag is gonna spoil it in "Snape kills Dumbledore" style.
Oh, most definitely. That's why I'm here talking about my anticipation and then starting tomorrow, I'm going to dark on anything that mentions A Song of Ice and Fire and/or George R. R. Martin.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Quote:

I had just started the thread in a sheer moment of epiphanic ecstasy pupon realizing how close we were to release. I suppose it would be great if this became one thread or the other (perhaps we'll drop spoilers here, and start another thread for a spoiler-free discussion of the story), but either way, please ensure we all make liberal use of the spoiler tags. After all, if any one deserves it, it's Martin and his brilliance in spinning a tight, if enormous, plot.
Quote:
Oh, most definitely. That's why I'm here talking about my anticipation and then starting tomorrow, I'm going to dark on anything that mentions A Song of Ice and Fire and/or George R. R. Martin.
You know, I realize I might be waiting a day or two until it drops in the mail from Amazon. Anything other than the free, 3-5 day shipping would start to approach more than double the cost of the book. Like the one-day shipping was $21!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:13 PM
I pre ordered mine from Amazon as well. I have the 2 day shipping so it should be here within the week assuming it doesn't get backlogged but I doubt it since it's such a big release.

Frankly the release for this book kinda snuck up on me since I pretty much just stopped anticipating it a few years ago after I realized it was gonna be years before I got my hands on it. Now that years have passed it feels almost unreal that it's actually finally coming out.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Also, it will be incredibly interesting reading the new book now that the first season of the TV show has been out.

The same thing happened with Harry Potter, I had images of the characters in my mind but once the movies came out I forever imagined the actors faces in my head as I read the books. It's an interesting concept to have an exact face to match up with the action instead of a more generic imagination version.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm re-reading the series again, up to Storm of Swords...will buy Dance with Dragons today but will have to wait to finish all the books again before I can read it
Old 07-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Ohmygodohmygodohmygod...IT'S SITTING MY LAP RIGHT NOW. Suddenly, six years is forgiven!
Old 07-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Yo, some of you guys (gals?) need to get on A Wiki of Ice and Fire and finish out the majority of the events of Feast of Crows. I've been on there recently and found that several key characters don't have entries for that book as yet.

Oh and might as well toss the info for the new one up there as you read along

I'd read the novels myself but i'm dyslexic and have ADD so novels have never really agreed with me. I need summaries ppl, summaries!
Old 07-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Also, it will be incredibly interesting reading the new book now that the first season of the TV show has been out.

The same thing happened with Harry Potter, I had images of the characters in my mind but once the movies came out I forever imagined the actors faces in my head as I read the books. It's an interesting concept to have an exact face to match up with the action instead of a more generic imagination version.
Honestly this is the only things that allows me to read novels. I need faces and to some extent even voices for the characters to really enjoy and get into a novel.

For example the only novel that i've read in recent years that has no adaption of any kind was 'Thursday Legends' by Quinten Jardine (a Scottish Crime fiction writer) and only caue of my love of things Scottish and an intruiging story.

Other novels i've read in recent years are:

Heir to the Empire Trilogy (Star Wars, this is 5 years after Jedi so alot of movie characters)
Resident Evil novels (aside from the originals all characters are in games)
Spider man novels (90's animated series voices/apperences)

Other then those i haven't enjoyed a single novel i've read....... or finished for that matter
Old 07-13-2011, 09:35 AM
My book is in but I probably won't even be able to get started until this weekend.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Almost bought a copy at Walmart in my haste to read it, but apparently their distribution center just didn't give a crap as the books were hideously bent and warped in a way I've never seen with any new release of a book. It was infuriating and depressing to see those books treated that way.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Finished it earlier today. Much better than A Feast for Crows, but still being half of a whole book and with some bloat and the fact that Martin pretty much said Feast and Dance are set up novels for the last two books, it does keep it from reaching the greatness of Game or Storm. However, I did like it at least as much as Clash, which is more than I can say for Feast.
So far the standings are:
A Game of Thrones - 10/10
A Clash of Kings - 9/10
A Storm of Swords - 10/10
A Feast for Crows - 8/10
A Dance with Dragons - 9/10
The Winds of Winter - Can't fucking wait.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:38 AM
i can't wait to read this haven't bought it yet mostly cuz i've still got a long way to go before reading that one lol i'm still on book one
Old 07-26-2011, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
I'd read the novels myself but i'm dyslexic and have ADD so novels have never really agreed with me. I need summaries ppl, summaries!
Summary of A DANCE WITH DRAGONS:

There is some dancing. With dragons.

Wow, that's easy!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
Summary of A DANCE WITH DRAGONS:

There is some dancing. With dragons.

Wow, that's easy!
my god its so OBVIOUS!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Finished it earlier today. Much better than A Feast for Crows, but still being half of a whole book and with some bloat and the fact that Martin pretty much said Feast and Dance are set up novels for the last two books, it does keep it from reaching the greatness of Game or Storm. However, I did like it at least as much as Clash, which is more than I can say for Feast.
So far the standings are:
A Game of Thrones - 10/10
A Clash of Kings - 9/10
A Storm of Swords - 10/10
A Feast for Crows - 8/10
A Dance with Dragons - 9/10
The Winds of Winter - Can't fucking wait.
Having just finished ADWD, I'm strongly inclined to agree. I can see why this took Martin so long, but I have to say this one was definitely worth it, if only to read Jon and Tyrion again. Aside from being mostly setup, the only problem I found was a handful of spelling errors, which never happened in Martin's other books. Really don't understand all the hate on Amazon, though. I wonder if any of those people tried writing a book series like this.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm sad to say that I'm only about halfway through the book. Which is truly a testament to how disappointing it is to me. If the first couple of books were written with this quality I likely never would have finished them.

I know a lot of the times most of the shit goes down in the last 100 pages, but damn. Why did he make the book so long if nothing happens in the first 500 pages that is noteworthy *at all*. Most likely it's just a case of his editors giving him free reign after his success. This book desperately needs some heavy editing.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Finished the book, still very disappointing. It seems pretty obvious that Martin had no idea what to do with his characters and this book was just a weak attempt to stall even longer. Six years and this is all we get? Pretty lame.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Finished the book, still very disappointing. It seems pretty obvious that Martin had no idea what to do with his characters and this book was just a weak attempt to stall even longer. Six years and this is all we get? Pretty lame.
That sucks, i've only heard good things from friends who have read it so far.

I finally caved and picked up Game of Thrones, about a 170 pages in atm. Really enjoying it, just the amount of conversation that was cut from the show is almost alarming!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Quote:
That sucks, i've only heard good things from friends who have read it so far.

I finally caved and picked up Game of Thrones, about a 170 pages in atm. Really enjoying it, just the amount of conversation that was cut from the show is almost alarming!
Don't get me wrong it's still a quality book. When I say disappointing I mean in relation to how amazing all the previous books are.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Don't get me wrong it's still a quality book. When I say disappointing I mean in relation to how amazing all the previous books are.
yeah i've heard that 4 and 5 don't seem to stack up well to the prvious 3. Hopefully 6 and 7 will kick ass.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:54 PM
So i'm about 80 pgs left to go in Clash of Kings and its really good. Can't wait to start Storm of Swords.

Anyone know how long it usually takes for a book to go soft cover? I'd like to get book 5 as i'm finishing 4 but i don't want to get the hardcover.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Quote:
So i'm about 80 pgs left to go in Clash of Kings and its really good. Can't wait to start Storm of Swords.

Anyone know how long it usually takes for a book to go soft cover? I'd like to get book 5 as i'm finishing 4 but i don't want to get the hardcover.
Usually only about a year to 1 year 6 months max. With really high profile releases like this they sometimes try to milk it for even longer.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Sorry to invade, I misread the title as "His Cunt". Whoops.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:42 AM
I did NOT enjoy DANCE WITH DRAGONS. A whole lotta NOTHIN' goin' on, and to wait 5+ years for this arduous and uneventful read only made it that much more painful to get through.

My favorite characters (MOST peoples' favorites) are written about, but very little HAPPENS to any of them. Moreover, he goes on and on and on with verbosity at times when the story just needs to move... somewhere. Even if it isn't "forward". His last two novels should have been condensed to one.

I'm going to wait quite some time to read the next one. Although it will most likely be hailed as another "masterpiece", I'm going to find those few who are of the same opinion as me and see what they think before I try investing dozens of hours to tedium. Again.

GAME OF THRONES - 7/10
A CLASH OF KINGS - 8/10
A STORM OF SWORDS - 8/10
A FEAST FOR CROWS - 5.5/10
A DANCE WITH DRAGONS - 4.5/10
Old 10-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
I did NOT enjoy DANCE WITH DRAGONS. A whole lotta NOTHIN' goin' on, and to wait 5+ years for this arduous and uneventful read only made it that much more painful to get through.

My favorite characters (MOST peoples' favorites) are written about, but very little HAPPENS to any of them. Moreover, he goes on and on and on with verbosity at times when the story just needs to move... somewhere. Even if it isn't "forward". His last two novels should have been condensed to one.

I'm going to wait quite some time to read the next one. Although it will most likely be hailed as another "masterpiece", I'm going to find those few who are of the same opinion as me and see what they think before I try investing dozens of hours to tedium. Again.

GAME OF THRONES - 7/10
A CLASH OF KINGS - 8/10
A STORM OF SWORDS - 8/10
A FEAST FOR CROWS - 5.5/10
A DANCE WITH DRAGONS - 4.5/10
Yeah from what i've read of the chapter summaries of Feast it seemed like a pretty boring book if only because more then half the good characters were no in it. It's unfortunate that now that you get the book with the interesting characters that not a lot happens.

The guy said it was one book before but got too big and got split into two. I had hoped that the lacking was only because of the method division was done with the characters instead of the timeline but now i'm not so sure. I'm still going to pick it up and read it but it's good to know that i shouldn't get my hopes too high and risk being disappointed.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:16 PM
I didn't mind Feast of Crows so much, simply because it WAS about characters that you really never read about before. FoC alone was not bad, given the assumption that Martin was saving the really juicy stuff with our favorite characters for the next book and he couldn't fit it all in one book. However that was basically a lie to cover his ass.

Looking back, it's completely apparent that Martin simply split the books in two because he had absolutely no idea how to advanced his developed characters. What we ended up getting was 6 years of stalling and then a book that actually regresses the plot.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Quote:
I didn't mind Feast of Crows so much, simply because it WAS about characters that you really never read about before. FoC alone was not bad, given the assumption that Martin was saving the really juicy stuff with our favorite characters for the next book and he couldn't fit it all in one book. However that was basically a lie to cover his ass.

Looking back, it's completely apparent that Martin simply split the books in two because he had absolutely no idea how to advanced his developed characters. What we ended up getting was 6 years of stalling and then a book that actually regresses the plot.
Yeah that's what i was figuring. If Feast was lacking it was cause all the goos stuff was saved for Dance but it seems that is not the case
Old 10-28-2011, 08:06 PM
It's funny to me, because a guy who loved the TV series wanted me to tell him about the next two books, and I first was adamantly opposed to giving away spoilers. He insisted so much that I finally gave in.
Well, I was like "dang man so much has happened in the next two books I don't really know where to begin. I guess I'll just tell you ONE PERSON'S storyline."

However, if I was to summarize events from A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, it would only take me a few minutes. That's kinda sad.
As for A FEAST FOR CROWS, I wasn't as upset because granted it's about people we don't know, but there are some interesting events and scenarios... enough for me to feel I didn't waste most of my time reading it. I don't feel this way with DANCE.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Finished Storm of Swords last night, great book. i hope Dance is in paper back by the time i'm done Feast but i doubt it will be.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Finished Dance with Dragons now and i got to say i can't wait for the next book. While not a whole lot whole lot happens in comparison to some of the other books but the amount of stuff that has been set up is crazy. Can't wait to see how things play out in the next book.

Apparently there is a sample chapter for the next book online. Gonna look for it today.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:12 AM
About 150 pages off finishing Dance and I gotta say I'm really enjoying it, don't get some of the complaints with this one.

So far...

Storm of Swords (10/10)
Game of Thrones (10/10)
Clash of Kings (9/10)
Dance with Dragons (9/10)
Feast for Crows (8/10)
Old 03-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Sounds like people who are just now starting with the series like Dance, but those who waited 6 years for it were really disappointed with it. That makes sense in a way.