Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-27-2011, 02:42 PM
TV crime drama detective/cop/investigator/etc characterizations

And just to clarify "BASIC CABLE/PRIMETIME TV CRIME DRAMAS"


Sort of a spinoff of the other thread about serial killers but this is the main thing I need to emphasize:


CHARACTERIZATION OF DETECTIVES



WHAT THE FUCK EVER HAPPENED TO ORIGINAL COP CHARACTERS IN CRIME DRAMAS!!!????

I mean every single one of those detectives or cops or whatever have ZERO character, ZERO charisma, more flat and stale than a piece of cardboard, less interesting than a door knob. I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF ITS LIKE REAL LIFE.

If I hear another detective say...
"OK, what have we got here." (insert boring overview of evidence at the crime scene.) Detective then makes a cliched quip. Zzzzz... I'm shutting that shit it right off.

Oh and every other fucking story has to begin with either a child or a cute animal revealing a significant clue or turning point. And most rip off DIRECTLY from movies as well. COME ON, WE HEARD THAT SAME EXACT FUCKING VOICE IN SAW!!!!

I really need to know, what possesses people to watch this shit over and over and over? Its not interesting at all! Yeah don't worry I'm not watching it just hate the fact they're on every friggen channel around primetime because everyone loves them. I want something else to watch.

I mean God! do I have to fucking say this... I'd rather watch a trashy reality show than more of this bland garbage. At least they don't act like they just had a lobotomy.

/rant

Last edited by creekin111; 06-27-2011 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Have you seen The Wire? It's very different from yer average crime show. I think it has ruined other shows for me, actually.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
Have you seen The Wire? It's very different from yer average crime show. I think it has ruined other shows for me, actually.
Nope, don't have HBO. Anyway this more or less pertains to Network/basic cable shows since they're completely flooded with this crap 24 hours a day. HBO really isn't TV anyway like their slogans says.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-27-2011, 04:32 PM


The Special Victims Unit is not amused.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
The Wire
.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post


The Special Victims Unit is not amused.
Yeah SVU, don't give me that look you know your "characters" suck.

I bet that's the most animated they ever get.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-27-2011, 10:35 PM
@ QUENTIN.

It's on DVD, creekin111.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Aaaaaah! Should have changed the title to "Basic cable/network television crime drama blah blah blah"

"ITS NOT TV ITS HBO!"

Rwar.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Sorry, dude.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
Aaaaaah! Should have changed the title to "Basic cable/network television crime drama blah blah blah"

"ITS NOT TV ITS HBO!"

Rwar.
Not trying to invalidate your legitimate complaint or suggest you're arguing it applies to TV beyond basic cable or anything of the sort.

I'm just trying to solve your problem. You hate bad cop characterization on TV. You should try out fantastic cop characterization on TV.

To be honest, if your complaint was about Twilight, shaky camerawork, or torture porn, my suggestion would probably be the same: If you haven't seen it, you need to watch The Wire. The show doesn't just create fans, it creates evangelists. Go forth my son and discover the ways of the Bunk.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
Not trying to invalidate your legitimate complaint or suggest you're arguing it applies to TV beyond basic cable or anything of the sort.

I'm just trying to solve your problem. You hate bad cop characterization on TV. You should try out fantastic cop characterization on TV.

To be honest, if your complaint was about Twilight, shaky camerawork, or torture porn, my suggestion would probably be the same: If you haven't seen it, you need to watch The Wire. The show doesn't just create fans, it creates evangelists. Go forth my son and discover the ways of the Bunk.
Oh I'm sure its good but again a little OT (if I titled the thread correctly ).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
Sorry, dude.
Its cool, my rant voice can be a little intimidating.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-28-2011, 10:20 AM
You should watch The Wire.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Hey guys, should I watch the Wire?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
Hey guys, should I watch the Wire?
I don't know about that, but I know a little show you totally should watch....






















......wait for it.........
























Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-28-2011, 02:41 PM
lol but seriously HBO standards are somewhere between basic cable and regular movies. HBO doesn't count.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Who cares? Just hurry up and watch The Wire.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-11-2011, 05:51 AM
Bones, Blue Bloods, NCIS: Los Angeles, Hawaii Five-O are all shows in this category that I enjoy immensely.

Numb3rs was great too.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-11-2011, 02:07 PM

I'd also recommend you watch The Shield. Show appeared on FX, which is essentially basic cable, and while not as good as The Wire, is still pretty damn incredible. I'm beginning to understand your current rants about television a bit more, between this thread and the one in General Movie Talk, but if you aren't going to humor any of us and check out the shows we've recommended (at least a few episodes), then it's really much ado about nothing at this point. But I will agree with you that a lot of police procedural's are pretty bland, if not outright bad.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-11-2011, 06:01 PM
I agree with you regarding network TV crime dramas. I don't really watch any of them as I find their "case of the week" structure pretty boring and their characterizations varying from bland to non-existent.

Obviously, the greatest wealth of quality TV detective characterizations can be found on cable TV like HBO. However, there have been a few shows that are the exception to the rule. And so, without further ado, I bring you... The most interesting, well-rounded, three-dimensional, unique detective characters on network TV shows:











Granted, some of these are comedies. But still!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Castle is nothing more than a Bones wannabe IMO. I like Nathan Fillion but the show is terribly forgettable.

Monk was okay. It was amusing, but every episode I saw the cases were completely transparent and utterly predictable. You could figure it all out in just a few minutes.

I did like what I saw from Veronica Mars.

And even though it's a medical drama, technically you could put House in this category. I love House. I think the character of House is one of the great television characters to be created. Hugh Laurie is amazing. I also think it's one of the ballsiest shows on television. Not too many shows have the balls to do what House did in last season's finale when House drove his car into Cuddy's house. It was a great moment and I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of repercussions House will face because of his actions.


BTW Monotreme, the only shows you listed that are from the networks are Veronica Mars, Pushing Daisies and Castle. The others are all cable shows.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Castle is nothing more than a Bones wannabe IMO. I like Nathan Fillion but the show is terribly forgettable.

Monk was okay. It was amusing, but every episode I saw the cases were completely transparent and utterly predictable. You could figure it all out in just a few minutes.

I did like what I saw from Veronica Mars.
True. I'm not a big fan of neither Castle nor Monk (although I am a fan of the actors performing those characters); however, it's impossible to deny that these aren't unique twists/takes on the "zero character, zero charisma flat detective characters" creekin was complaining about. Veronica Mars is fantastic, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
And even though it's a medical drama, technically you could put House in this category. I love House. I think the character of House is one of the great television characters to be created. Hugh Laurie is amazing. I also think it's one of the ballsiest shows on television. Not too many shows have the balls to do what House did in last season's finale when House drove his car into Cuddy's house. It was a great moment and I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of repercussions House will face because of his actions.
Excellent point! House really is more of a detective show than a medical drama (kind of a combination of both), and the detective influences on the character (specifically Sherlock Holmes) are very, very apparent. A brilliant character, I agree.


Quote:
BTW Monotreme, the only shows you listed that are from the networks are Veronica Mars, Pushing Daisies and Castle. The others are all cable shows.
My mistake; Monk aired on USA Network, a cable channel. However, Twin Peaks was quite famously a network show; it aired on ABC.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-13-2011, 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
True. I'm not a big fan of neither Castle nor Monk (although I am a fan of the actors performing those characters); however, it's impossible to deny that these aren't unique twists/takes on the "zero character, zero charisma flat detective characters" creekin was complaining about.
Monk MAYBE but Castle? No. There is NOTHING unique about Castle whatsoever IMO. It's basically a copy of Bones/The Mentalist/Lie to Me. Except it's not nearly as good as Bones and Lie to Me, which was actually a pretty decent show. I have never seen an episode of The Mentalist so I can't say anything about that show.

Another show that I love that kind of fits into this, a show that mixes a lawyer/courtroom drama with a procedural is Shark with James Woods. I FUCKING LOVE that show! Was disappointed that it only lasted 2 seasons.

About Twin Peaks, huh. For some reason I always thought that was an HBO show. Guess I was wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-13-2011, 01:23 AM
Interesting because nothing about Bones or The Mentalist seemed unique or original to me.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-13-2011, 01:32 AM
Kind of true. I mean, Bones is basically a copy of Moonlighting. But I like the show primary because of the great chemistry between Emily Deschanel and David Boreanez. I also like the supporting cast a lot. Especially the characters of Sweets and Hodgins. However, the writing on the show is often hot and cold. Most times the writing is fine for the genre, but sometimes, like the season 3 finale, the writing is awful. That episode committed one of the most egregious acts of character assassination ever on any television show. It was so bad it may me no longer trust the writers. The show also has a bad habit of starting a really storyline but ultimately ending it on a whimper.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
It's basically a copy of Bones/The Mentalist/Lie to Me.
Did you just try and say that something was copying the Mentalist? Seriously? The Mentalist? The show that is basically the serious version of Psych? It has any originality to be copied?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Monk MAYBE but Castle? No. There is NOTHING unique about Castle whatsoever IMO. It's basically a copy of Bones/The Mentalist/Lie to Me. Except it's not nearly as good as Bones and Lie to Me, which was actually a pretty decent show. I have never seen an episode of The Mentalist so I can't say anything about that show.

Another show that I love that kind of fits into this, a show that mixes a lawyer/courtroom drama with a procedural is Shark with James Woods. I FUCKING LOVE that show! Was disappointed that it only lasted 2 seasons.

About Twin Peaks, huh. For some reason I always thought that was an HBO show. Guess I was wrong.
Honestly, I don't find any of these shows particularly good, unique, or interesting. I only mentioned Castle because I feel like Nathan Fillion lends the character that unique, charming touch only he carries. But other than him, I don't think it's a good show at all.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpesh View Post
Did you just try and say that something was copying the Mentalist? Seriously? The Mentalist? The show that is basically the serious version of Psych? It has any originality to be copied?
I was mostly noting how similar all of these shows are to one another.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
Honestly, I don't find any of these shows particularly good, unique, or interesting. I only mentioned Castle because I feel like Nathan Fillion lends the character that unique, charming touch only he carries. But other than him, I don't think it's a good show at all.
Oh, I love Shark. James Woods was awesome on that show.

Likewise, I mostly liked Lie to Me because of Tim Roth and found his character to be pretty interesting actually.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I was mostly noting how similar all of these shows are to one another.
Well, now you know why one show, The Mentalist, was so much like other shows..... it's a horrible copy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump