Old 08-17-2011, 02:10 PM
The Woman In Black (Daniel Radcliffe)

Dang! This actually looks really good. I loved Radcliffe as the eponymous character in the films based on J.K. Rowling's hit book series, and was naturally curious as to his follow-up to such a career-defining character, but after watching this trailer I'm putting The Woman In Black on the top of my Must See List.

Last edited by MisoGenie; 02-21-2012 at 09:45 AM..
Old 08-22-2011, 11:58 AM
It is at the top of my list as well! I watched the trailer whilst I was home alone in the middle of the day and was genuinely creeped out. Radcliffe looks so mature and natural in the role. I hope he is able to continue on to a great career.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Saw the trailer when I went to see the AWFUL Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, looks very good. Too bad Harry Potter is in it, that will be a distraction, but I still have some interest in this.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I think that it may be a little distracting to see Radcliffe in a role other than the career-defining Harry Potter, but imo he is a very good actor and he looked to be good in this from the little that I remember seeing of him in the trailer. I thought that it was edited very eloquently and almost poetically, so I have quite a bit of faith in this.

The "AWFUL" Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark? Dang. That one looked promising, too, but I've heard nothing but negative.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm actually really excited to see this movie. i've watched the trailer a couple times now and it looks beautifully decrepit and haunting. the dreariness of the scenery/landscape seems like it's gonna add a lot to the general creepiness of the story. CANT WAIT.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:45 AM
Looks okay. But, then again, most trailers for horror films do. I've been fooled way too many times to believe that this will be genuinely scary. In fact, genuinely scary has only happened two or three times in my life.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:24 PM

I feel your pessimism, PSU. I rarely even waste my money on Horror films these days unless it's under a trusted name. The genre's in quite the disposition, but we've got our gems in the troughs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCupcake View Post
I'm actually really excited to see this movie. i've watched the trailer a couple times now and it looks beautifully decrepit and haunting. the dreariness of the scenery/landscape seems like it's gonna add a lot to the general creepiness of the story. CANT WAIT.
I agree with what you're saying! It seems to be very tastefully filmed and I think that alone shows a lot of promise. It's at the top of my list, or very near it at the very least.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:23 PM
The latest trailer for The Woman in Black has just surfaced! What says you all?

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/dani...-black-trailer
Old 01-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Here's a new poster for the film, in the style of old Hammer classics!

Personally, I think that it looks remarkable! This is by far my most anticipated Horror release of 2012. It opens 14 days before my birthday (and yes, that was a hint for you all to wish me the best come the 16th! ) so I'm assuming that I may go see this as I usually take an annual visit to the cinema on that date.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I definitely want to see this. I think it looks good. Though I'd see anything that Daniel Radcliffe is in, because he's so hot.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Happy birthday in 15 days Miso! It better be a good one, yeah?

I was very interested at first. Not so much now. Theyre hyping it so commonly. I loved the TV spots and the nostalgic classic Hammer-esque poster. At the moment I feel Ive seen 85% of the film in the TV spots. Every week there is more and more revealed in them. Especially the most recent ones.

Still going to see it, just not in theaters unfortunately. What sucks the most is, I havent been drawn to the theater in over a year. Its been drab as hell in my opinion. 2011 was just a bland-ass year for film, IMO. Thats just me... dont jump down my throat if you disagree; aqnd Id be willing to reconsider the sentiment under proper circumstance.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Peanut View Post
Happy birthday in 15 days Miso! It better be a good one, yeah?

I was very interested at first. Not so much now. Theyre hyping it so commonly. I loved the TV spots and the nostalgic classic Hammer-esque poster. At the moment I feel Ive seen 85% of the film in the TV spots. Every week there is more and more revealed in them. Especially the most recent ones.

Still going to see it, just not in theaters unfortunately. What sucks the most is, I havent been drawn to the theater in over a year. Its been drab as hell in my opinion. 2011 was just a bland-ass year for film, IMO. Thats just me... dont jump down my throat if you disagree; aqnd Id be willing to reconsider the sentiment under proper circumstance.
Thank ya very much! It had best be, as my 18th!

I'm beginning to feel the same way as you are about this film, although I have been fortunate enough to avoid most of the revealing TV spots. I really dig the nostalgic feel to this and think it could be something nice, but on the other hand I'm getting the feeling that it may be an archetypal ghost story-kinda film, one which I don't care to see again in the theaters. I'm going to read some reviews on this and try to avoid any/all spoilers before seeing this one!

Arrow's review (which I just read after typing the above) sounds quite promising, so who knows!
http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/32895
Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 AM
I took my brother to see this yesterday. To be honest, I would much rather watch Chronicle, but I chose the film we went to last week (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) so it was only fair that I went to see this. Needless to say, due to my previous posts, I was pretty excited to see this as well.

The film lives up to most standards one would hold for it, judging from the previews and every bit of promotion we've seen thus far. We are indeed treated to a very tense atmospheric piece which is essentially a one-man show led by Radcliffe. He is very good in his role and does not struggle to break free of the "Harry Potter" that such an actor could have been typecast as. Without giving much away, he is a much more common, mature character this time around. I was actually rather shocked at a certain theme which the film held (which I won't give away, but it is quite uncommon for a PG13 rating), and the Lady herself was indeed quite creepy.

Now, on the downside there was a bit that left more to be desired within the film. For instance, the CGI hindered what could have been much better scenes. Overall, the scenes which the computer effects stood out (as effects, that is, and out of place) were few and far between. A cathartic scene near the climax seemed to come out of literally nowhere, even if it was slightly hinted at earlier it felt very sudden, as if the writer(s?) were thinking "Oh, snap! We have to end this thing before it reaches the 2 hour mark! Let's fit a climax in here somewhere," right in the middle of a very natural progression. The jump scenes did become repetitive, but as I said before, there were a few very effective scenes out of them which were effective. It's just a shame that they were two or three amidst a handful of others. There were a few very suspenseful moments which the score lent a lot to, but I was actually hoping for it to be more (at the lack of a better pun) low key at times. It seemed as if every fright sequence was driven by the score just as much, if not more than the imagery itself. I also realise that this is quite common for the average Horror film, but watching this film I had higher expectations than I do most.

Overall, this is a pretty good chiller which I can recommend both to fans of the genre and those who are less familiar with the conventions. There was actually a young girl crying in the show I went to, but I doubt that the average filmgoer would be so shaken. It's much better than what many fans have come to expect from the genre, but a few hairs shy of a modern classic.

3/4

Between this and The Innkeepers, I'm beginning to wonder if quality ghost pictures are beginning to make a come-back. Let's just hope they can stand against the typical Paranormal Activity clones sure to come out.