Old 08-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Goosebumps, you can't resist...

So I went to a flea market this weekend and happened to walk upon a book vendor, and on the ground was a box labled "25 cents" and in that box were the Goosebumps books. I chuckled to myself as I dug through the books, and sure enough all the old memories and stories came back into my mind as I looked at each cover. Unable to resist, due to the "25 cents" price tag, I quickly counted out how many books were in the box, 49 in all, mostly in order too! I pulled out the calculator and saw that it would only be about $13 for all of them, offered the vendor a $10 and walked home with a box of 49 Goosebumps books, mainly in order (it contained 1-37, and the last were all mix-ins). I've already read 4 of the books, you can literally finish these things in about an hour, and plan to fly through them all by October. The books aren't written as well as I remembered them to be, but they are still entertaining as all hell.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:57 PM
Holy shit nice find!

The books were great but yeah I'm sure if I were to pick one up and give it a read today it wouldn't quite be as good as memory serves. I remember I always had a particular fondness for The Haunted Mask II.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:57 AM
I was obsessed with these when they first came out and they were pretty much the only thing I read for a while. I remember especially loving the Night Of The Living Dummy and Monster Blood series as well as Say Cheese And Die. I still have all the books from the original series but haven't looked at them in over 10 years.

I also used to have the entire TV series recorded on VHS, loved it at the time but tried to re-watch some of them a few years back and couldn't stand it.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 AM
I used to have 1-28 or so when i was i kid. My little sister might still have them but probably not. If i recall correctly i ejoyed mostly the teens (10-19) with some greats like Haunted Mask, Piano Lessons Can Be Murder, One Day at Horrorland and my all time favourite Why I'm Afraid of Bees.

There were some good ones later one like Attack of the Mutant and Ghost Beach but i think i grew out of of these books in favour of video games not long after.

I recall seeing newer ones in a book store years ago and seeing that they'd wandered into that whole "choose your own adventure" theme with some of their books.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Yeah Vesaker I hear you brother. I really liked reading the Goosebumps series, the Ghosts of Fear Street series, the Halloween and Friday the 13th young adult novels, from like 2nd -4th grade, but as soon as Playstation burst onto the scene that was all forgotten. It took me up until I was about 23 to get back into reading.

Oddly enough I remember the Choose Your Own Goosebumps book. I remember having to buy the first one because I went to Borders and I had all the other Goosebumps out at the time, so I bought the Choose Your Own Adventure one, it sucked! I also got into the "Ghosts of Fear Street" series when I was younger, those books were like Goosebumps but they were for children a little bit older, but not old enough to read the young adult books, they were a little scarier too.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 AM
I was a Goosebumps junkie as a kid. Read all the books, watched all the TV episodes. But like most in this thread, I fear that if I tried to re-read the books and re-watch the episodes, it might ruin my fond memories of the series.

Having said that, I re-watched a bunch of Are You Afraid of the Dark? episodes a couple of years ago, and a bunch of them held up to this day. Maybe there are a couple of Goosebumps episodes that might hold up as well. Probably The Haunted Mask and The Haunted Mask II, given that I remember those being the best of the series.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:18 AM
My girlfreind and I were hankering for some Goosebumps last Halloween, we found a dvd at Walmart that 8 episodes on it. Night in Terror Tower, Welcome to Camp Nightmare, One Day at Horrorland, Don't go in the Basement, Monster Blood, and a couple more I forget, but the point is that they still hold up fairly well. I still think my favorite is the Werewolf of Fever Swamp though.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:41 PM
I was too old to care about these when they came out, but later in college, I read one for a children's lit class I was taking (Don't remember the title; it was the very first book in the series). I thought that for a "kid's" book it was pretty well done and actually creepy. With a few tweaks, it could have been a good movie.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
I was too old to care about these when they came out, but later in college, I read one for a children's lit class I was taking (Don't remember the title; it was the very first book in the series). I thought that for a "kid's" book it was pretty well done and actually creepy. With a few tweaks, it could have been a good movie.
The first one is called Welcome to Dead House and if i recall it was one of the creepier ones though R.L. Stine seemed to have a knack for the creepy.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:18 PM
I own six or seven Goosebumps books, though I haven't read one in a year or so. It's been far too long. I don't really have a favorite. My love for Goosebumps is generalized. I want to give the whole series a hug. For whatever reason, I never got into Fear Street.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 AM
I just remembered that i read and have somewhere some horror book by some guy named Christopher Pike. Can't recall the name atm but a look at his Wiki page it was a book from his Spooksville series.

The main charaters of the series (5 friends) end up going to some house or castly type place and each fall under a different and opposing curse. One wishes she looked younger and slowly is becoming a baby, one that he was older and is becoming a an old man, etc.

As i recall i really enjoyed the book, more so then then Goosebumps book's i've read for some reason, but never ended up reading any of the others.

Any one read this Pike guy? Was he any good?
Old 08-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Yes! I used to read his books, he was definitely creepy too. I think he was actually darker than R.L. Stine. I believe the book you are talking about is called "The Wishing Stone".

I used to have the one about Leperchauns as a kid, it was pretty crazy.

There was also another childrens horror series, that was even creepier than Stine and Pike's work called "Shivers" by M.D. Spenser. These books were really dark and twisted! I remember they used to sell them at like the dollar store, and you can probably find them at some thrift stores if you looked hard enough, but I had a few that really creeped me out.

Here is one that I remember having

Last edited by Evil Ed; 08-31-2011 at 11:00 AM..
Old 08-31-2011, 02:04 PM
I owned all of them from the original series.. i want to say there was like 59 of them or so? Unfortunately my mom sold them at a garage sale a few years ago. My favorites were How To Kill a Monster, and The Beast from the East.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
Yes! I used to read his books, he was definitely creepy too. I think he was actually darker than R.L. Stine. I believe the book you are talking about is called "The Wishing Stone".

I used to have the one about Leperchauns as a kid, it was pretty crazy.
Nah that wasn't the one. I couldn't remember the title so i decided to google image the series and i found it. The one i read was called "The Witch's Revenge".

Old 08-31-2011, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
I just remembered that i read and have somewhere some horror book by some guy named Christopher Pike. Can't recall the name atm but a look at his Wiki page it was a book from his Spooksville series.

Any one read this Pike guy? Was he any good?
Oh, man, Christopher Pike was all the rage back when I was in 5th-6th grade. I think every single girl in my class read all those books. Slumber Party, Weekend, Chain Letter... Never knew he ended up doing scary/supernatural stuff.

Only one I read was Weekend. It was average.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:45 PM
When these were popular, I was just older than the recommended "reading age" for 'em. Tried a couple out anyhow, and was fairly entertained by 'em!

Prior, I used to have a buncha the old-school Hardy Boys books as well. LOVED those books. Something like 8 years ago or maybe 5 years ago I tried reading one for first time in like over like 10-12 years or so... Man was it horrible! The wording/terms/phrases were very dated too.

I have no desire to re-read any Goosebumps books though. It's bad enough my Hardy Boy memories are shattered!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:18 PM
I can confidently tell you, some of them are still holding up well. Stay out of the Basement holds up very well today.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 PM
This thread has prompted me to dig out my old book box from my parents basement and start one up.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMoney08 View Post
This thread has prompted me to dig out my old book box from my parents basement and start one up.
Must be nice, i got a little sister when i was twelve so all the kid stuff i would have liked to keep as a piece of my child hood got handed down to her to then never be seen again.

I used to have a sick Dr. Seuss collection that i would love to flip through from time to time but i'll never see them again
Old 10-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Night of the Living Dummy 2, The Haunted Mask 2, and Say Cheese and Die were among the first chapter books that I had ever read as a child, juxtaposed by the equally fun (but in a totally different way!) Captain Underpants series. (If they even count, considering the words per page for each one!) I haven't read a Goosebumps novel in a long time, but I do remember skimming through one and being disappointed in the writing style. I'd love to pick one up if for nothing else nostalgia some time, though!

Great idea for a Thread, by the way!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:19 AM
Wow. Nostalgia. These books were the first non-picture books I started reading as a kid and I was hooked! I popped my Goosebumps cherry on Monster Blood 2. I had so many of them. Good times.

Reader beware, you're in for a scare!!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:23 AM
Oh by the way, did anyone ever read "Strange Matter" books. They were what I moved on to after Goosebumps. I found them darker and more interesting and they were a great evolution from Goosebumps. I particularly loved one called "Fly the Unfriendly Skies". Good stuff
Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 AM
I remember these books were the in thing around 15yrs ago or maybe it is less than that Kids would read volumes of those books plus there was a tv series based on this too
Old 04-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I was a Goosebumps junkie as a kid. Read all the books, watched all the TV episodes. But like most in this thread, I fear that if I tried to re-read the books and re-watch the episodes, it might ruin my fond memories of the series.

Having said that, I re-watched a bunch of Are You Afraid of the Dark? episodes a couple of years ago, and a bunch of them held up to this day. Maybe there are a couple of Goosebumps episodes that might hold up as well. Probably The Haunted Mask and The Haunted Mask II, given that I remember those being the best of the series.
I did that as well. Goosebumps doesnt hold up as well as Are You Afraid of the Dark?, which I actually quite like watching still. There are some quality episodes there. Even stupid ones like The Tale of the Phone Police has some genuinely weird moments.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Goosebumps my life as a kid and how I got into reading/writing/and horror.

Im currently on an extended hotel stay while I have some surgeries done and in the gift shop I saw these and just couldn't resist. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1364955103059.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	11841
Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 PM
On another note-
My parents always got pissed when id bring home the more 'mature' RL Stine books but does anyone remember Christopher Pike...Jesus, I remember when I was like 8 I read one of his that I believe was called "Monster" and not only was the horror/violence extremely graphic for a Y.A novel, it had at least 2 vividly written sex scenes...looking back it seems fucking nuts to think that was allowed to happen ESPECIALLY in the early morally obsessed 90's.

*OOPS, DONT KNOW HOW I MISSED PAGE TWO WHERE THIS WAS CLEARLY ALREADY DISCUSSED. MY BAD.*

Last edited by marilynMONROBOT; 04-02-2013 at 09:16 PM..
Old 04-29-2013, 09:32 PM
My favorite Goosebump is a hard to choose. I like Welcome to Camp Nowhere, Scarecrow Walks at Midnight, Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, Night in Terror Tower, Headless Ghost. I also read R.L. Stines YA novels, I enjoyed The Hitchhiker, Hit and Run, The Snowman, Halloween night.

On a side note has anyone read the extremely rare Kelly O'Rourke Halloween series? There was only 3 books in the series but all 3 were classic Michael Meyers tales. They are extremely hard to find and go for like 50 bucks online. Luckily I have the third novel and it still holds up quite well.