Old 04-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Les Parapluies De Cherbourg

After having read about this film for years, I was finally able to get hold of a copy recently, and can certainly see why it has the reputation it has.
Written and directed by Jacques Demy, with music by Michel Legrand, the film broke new ground for a musical in that there is no spoken dialogue - all of the dialogue is sung.
The film stars Catherine Deneuve in her first major role, and Nino Castelnuovo, as two young lovers parted when he has to leave to complete two years of military service in Algiers. Although they have pledged undying love, they grow apart and the girl marries another man even though she has a child to the boy.
No other director has surpassed, or even equalled, Demy's use of colour in setting the mood of a film.
In an interview with Michel Legrand, he stated that he and Jacques Demy deliberately set out to move their audience to tears. They succeeded brilliantly. The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg is heartbreakingly beautiful, Demy's greatest achievement, and one of the finest musicals of all time.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:11 AM
Check out Les demoiselles de Rochefort, it has Deneuve and her sister singing and dancing with gene kelly all in pastels, also Peau d'âne, Demy's colours are awesome. Legrand is fantastic too, you should also check out, te recent film Les chansons d'amour by Christophe Honoré, its not so much a homage to to but its very influenced by Les parapluies de Cherbourg.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:19 PM
I have both Les Demoiselles De Rochefort and Peau d'Ane, and agree they are both fine films, with brilliant use of colour and music.
However, Les Parapluies remains my favourite.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Les parapluies de Cherbourg

Just finished my newest recipe for The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Marimite Dieppoise OH MY GOODNESS! Who is coming to the test kitchen? http://www.facebook.com/pages/Food-f...e/179282963304