Old 02-22-2011, 12:01 PM
The Great Gatsby

Leonardo Dicaprio is signed on to star as Jay Gatsby. Tobey Maguire will play Nick Carraway and Carey Mulligan will reportedly be playing Daisy.

And it looks like Baz wants to shoot it in 3-D

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movi...tsby-in-3d.php
Old 02-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Good cast, but fuck Baz Luhrmann.

3D?! REALLY?!? Fuckin' hack.....
Old 02-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I liked Moulin Rouge, but I'm not sure I can ingest enough acid to enjoy another Baz Luhrmann movie in 3D.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Luhrmann is a good filmmaker, but I don't understand the point of making THIS story in 3D. Not exactly the kind of story that screams out 3D to me.

Now, I wouldn't mind seeing Moulin Rouge in 3D. That could be wild, if done right. But The Great Gatsby? Can't picture it.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Good cast, but fuck Baz Luhrmann.

3D?! REALLY?!? Fuckin' hack.....
yeah, I co sign with this.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
I liked Moulin Rouge, but I'm not sure I can ingest enough acid to enjoy another Baz Luhrmann movie in 3D.
Ahh... I lol'd when i read this.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:31 PM
It didn't work in 2D with a good director, it won't work in 3D with a bad one.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
It didn't work in 2D with a good director, it won't work in 3D with a bad one.
Ouch. I'll reserve judgement, but the idea of doing it in 3D is just bizarre.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:19 AM
He sucks as a director in 2D and it's only gonna get worse in 3D. While I thought the book was pretty good, I don't see how 3D would help the movie since most of the story is about a bunch of rich people talking about how rich they are
Old 02-23-2011, 01:03 AM
I feel bad for whoever had to clean Baz' shorts after he learned the source material included a party scene described as "elaborate."
Old 02-23-2011, 05:46 AM
Wow in 3D...really?...why? I guess they want the audience to feel like they're at one of Gatsby's parties??
Old 02-23-2011, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface98.9 View Post
I don't see how 3D would help the movie since most of the story is about a bunch of rich people talking about how rich they are
Baz Luhrmann has assured audiences he'll make use of the technology by utilizing "music video style editing that's sure to keep you disoriented" and "throwing teacups and champagne glasses that will seem like they're coming right toward you."

Last edited by QUENTIN; 02-23-2011 at 10:53 AM..
Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 AM
agree with all of the above..and what's really nagging me is..why in the hell 3d??
Old 12-14-2011, 05:57 PM

Leo looks the way he looked in Titanic with that haircut.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:04 PM
I am looking forward to this cast with this source material. I revisited the book a few weeks back and fell in love with it all over again.

That said, it could be completely because of Fitzgerald's writing ability and not really anything to do with the story itself.

Hard to say.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:22 PM
I like most of the cast, I'm not a fan of Tobey Maguire though. This maybe one the movies that I pass on, I'm not a fan of the source material and I'm not a fan of the director. And seriously 3D, are you fucking kidding me? I think this is kind of step back for DiCaprio and Mulligan.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 PM
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/thegreatgatsby/

What the fuck did I just witness?
Old 05-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Amazing trailer.

Beautiful visuals.

I loved the book.

So down.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Looks fucking buckwild
Old 05-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Another Jay Z song being used in a trailer.

Looks decent. At least we'll get some great art direction in it.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Interesting.....very interesting.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:59 PM
BAZ LUHRMAN!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 PM
WHY-THE-FUCK ARE THEY PLAYING JAY-Z AND KANYE IN THIS TRAILER?!?!

WHAT-THE-FUCKING-SHIT IS WRONG WITH YOU FUCKING PEOPLE?!?!?!

EDIT: By "people," I mean those involved with marketing of this film (as well as others, for that matter).
Old 05-22-2012, 10:04 PM
I think Baz Luhrmann is hit or miss, but this looks decent.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:03 PM
As beautiful as the scenery and art direction looks, what is easily the most beautiful thing about the trailer is Cary Mulligan!!! Wow, she looks unbelievably luminous!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Eh... I hated the book, I hated the original movie, and I hate DiCaprio, so... pass?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Eh... I hated the book, I hated the original movie, and I hate DiCaprio, so... pass?
Nahh, with so many things going against it you should give it a shot just to see if it surprises you. Then you can have a great story to tell.

Gotta say, I started watching the trailer expecting to be disappointed, but I wasn't. The cast actually look good, Mulligan standing out (I think she's headed to the Oscars with this role) and the art direction really dazzling a la Moulin Rouge.

I'm gonna read the book before the film, it's one of those classics that escaped me.

But yeah, this actually looks pretty good

I still give it a 50/50 on failing.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 PM
The opening song took me off guard, completely, but the visuals look great and I loved when I read the book in high school so I'm down!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:09 AM
I remember the boring original movie I had to endure watching in school...but this looks amazing.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Tobey McGuire looks terrible. The CGI looks like pre-viz, and the song at the beginning totally turned me off (stop going after the younger crowd with rap songs in historic films!!!!).

Usually teasers put films high up on my 'watch' list. This teaser put The Great Gatsby on the bottom of my list.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:10 AM
The misuse of No Church in the Wild, the inappropriate stylized look and the pompousness of the "3D" shots make me want to vomit. It looks like Zack Snyder taking a dump on one my favorite pieces of literature only from the dipshit who directed Moulin Rouge.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
WHY-THE-FUCK ARE THEY PLAYING JAY-Z AND KANYE IN THIS TRAILER?!?!

WHAT-THE-FUCKING-SHIT IS WRONG WITH YOU FUCKING PEOPLE?!?!?!

EDIT: By "people," I mean those involved with marketing of this film (as well as others, for that matter).

Quit your bitching already.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy2024 View Post
Quit your bitching already.
It's a free country and an open forum, noob.

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 05-23-2012 at 04:45 PM..
Old 05-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Old 05-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Old 05-24-2012, 03:49 AM
No Church in the Wild playing in the beginning of the trailer is kind of funny.
The flick has a very flamboyant look,but i liked the Redford version, and the book so i will definitley give this a shot
Old 05-25-2012, 03:32 PM
The trailer did absolutely nothing for me.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:23 PM
From the reactions, I thought the song in the beginning was gonna be some crazy ass gangsta, dance club shit. That isn't the case what so ever! It was surprisingly tame. Talk about blowing things out of proportion

The trailer was sure as hell visually insane, but I hate Baz Luhrman so I'll wait to hear some word of mouth on the thing.

Digging the cast, though.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I'm in love. This could be a GREAT, GREAT movie.

I loved the original.

I love F. Scott Fitzgerald.

I love the casting ...

I love Cary Mulligan! and DiCaprio ...

I'm in love!
Old 05-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Knocker View Post
I'm in love. This could be a GREAT, GREAT movie.

I loved the original.

I love F. Scott Fitzgerald.

I love the casting ...

I love Cary Mulligan! and DiCaprio ...

I'm in love!
Not surprised. You sound like a character from a Baz Luhrmann movie

I'm on the fence for now leaning towards hopeful. I really do love Moulin Rouge but Luhrmann can be cringeworthy for me and sometimes brings in extreme doses of hit and miss slapstick (decidedly a miss in Australia). I was never a fan of Romeo + Juliet. The chemistry of excesses just fit together well for Moulin Rouge for some reason (though I still cringe at a few parts in the first thirty minutes when I watch it).

That said, I don't suppose Gatsby will have slapstick humour the way his other movies do so that makes me more hopeful for the film itself. Luhrmann has a good handle on the epic (even while Australia blew chunks, it still felt pretty epic) and he's got a pretty decent cast to back him up.

My one biggest concern is his handle on the human aspect of things. Moulin Rouge was the epitome of excessive movie musical - the emotions, the feelings, the music, the comedy, the drama were all so over-the-top they ended up working. But that's a one-time pass, based on a specific kind of film. I'm more concerned about an adaptation of a book that (I assume) is more realistically dramatic, that is based in more subtle human emotions. I haven't yet seen the evidence that Luhrmann is capable of drawing those things out carefully onscreen instead of screaming them from the mountaintops.