Old 05-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Don't see how anything really looks interesting or embraces any sort of uniqueness in this trailer. Hell the best part was the shooting through the movie screen and that pretty much channels Inglorious Basterds. I think I might prefer to watch The Monster Squad instead.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I really don't see the L.A. Confidential comparisons. It looks MUCH MORE like The Untouchables to me than L.A. Confidential.

Heck, Sean Penn's performance looks nearly as over the top's as De Niro's performance was in The Untouchables.
It's the exact same story. Mob moving into LA, cops form a goon squad to dispatch them. You could argue with this movie we get far more Mafia while Confidential focused on the goon squad cops, but it is still the same material.

My point is, there are a lot of great gangster stories and characters throughout history. Why make another movie around the same story?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Freakin' awesome trailer. Consider it on my radar. Looking forward to it.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Release date is now September 7th. As I suspected after seeing the trailer, this is not an Oscar contender. Still should be fun though.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:02 AM
I still wouldn't count out Sean Penn in that kind of role for supporting. Inglorious Basterds came out in August if memory serves correctly and Waltz swept every single award under the sun.

But I agree that it won't be a Best Picture Oscar contender if that's what you meant.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:17 AM
He could get nominated, but judging from the script a win is impossible. He has almost no interesting dialogue the entire film, just some stock one-liners and several acts of brutality.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Old 07-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Gangster Squad postponed - http://afterthecut.com/2012/07/25/ga...e-to-reshoots/
Old 07-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Laaaammmmeeeee
Old 07-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NSTR1PEZ View Post
If they keep the theater scene, than I'm okay with the postponement. It's a shame, but understandable . . . if they keep the theater scene.

I read a post in another thread where the trailer alone (in front of TDKR) made people a little uncomfortable.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:32 PM
I figured this would happen, but I also assumed it would get a spring date, not a January death slot. I think it's understandable, even though it's just an insanely poor timed coincidence.

Just imagine if the shooting had happened after the movie came out.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:33 AM

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...theater-354623
Old 09-18-2012, 02:05 PM
This is pretty cool - while we all wait for the January release - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-246
Old 09-20-2012, 11:42 AM
I got no problem with the re-shoot or push-back. Call me a softy if you want, I am usually a purist and would normally not take this stance. But what happened on that tragic night in Colorado is too near to be forgotten and pushed aside. I feel that the rapid "recovery" from situations like this is not only not healthy, it exacerbates the problem.

I am all for enlightenment, moving forward, not dwelling on the past, and not giving scum bag sickos too much spotlight. I do not want the psychos to feel like they have control and to accomplish their agenda of social disruption. But a tragedy such as this needs time and certainly more sensitive attention. It's only been two months and largest mass killing in US history already yesterday's news? I get that is the world we live in now. I get the internet, the 24 hour news cycle, and all that involves. But maybe, in situations like this, we should take a bit longer than "normal". JMTC

Besides, with Penn, Nolte, Brolin, Gosling, Stone, Ribisi, etc plus a great director I am not worried about the final product at all. A re-shoot of a single (albeit critical to the story scene) and a few extra months, done out of respect for those who lost loved ones, is not only not a bad thing, it shows great character of those involved in the project. I am personally glad they chose to do this.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Hey, new trailer posted at iTunes. I was in from the moment this was announced and the first trailer was good. This second one is even better. This is looking very impressive.

http://trailers.apple.com/
Old 10-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Looks great , the January release date is because of the editing out of that theater shooting scene right?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:11 PM
1st Gangster Squad featurette has director Ruben Fleischer saying his goal was to make a gangster film for a new generation - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2oR
Old 11-30-2012, 12:13 AM

Is really "The Gangster Squad" movie is based on a seven-part Los Angeles Times article which is written by Paul Lieberman and i can't believe it..
Old 12-01-2012, 10:04 PM
My fear is that this movie is 20 years too late. Several movies have already raped this concept. I fear it will offer us nothing new and exciting even though it is true.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:19 PM
I have a feeling that this film will lack any sense of authenticity....and probably doesn't work, so they dumped it in January.