Old 11-01-2012, 02:42 PM

#31) Dellamorte Dellamore/Cemetery Man (1994) (Oct 31) (rewatch)

"You look for death in the clear night.
You tell her you still love her...
That you are her slave, that she's still your queen.
Death, death, death, the whore."

As a reward to myself for finishing the 31 movies last year I rewatched a personal favorite (Re-Animator), so this year I did the same and revisited Dellamorte Dellamore, a movie I've been looking forward to seeing again all month.

Dellamorte Dellamore (I prefer to use its original title instead of Cemetery Man because I feel that title is too simplistic/misleading and is a disservice to the themes of love and death that run throughout the movie) is the story of Francesco Dellamorte, a caretaker for a cemetery where after 7 days, the dead rise from their graves. This serves only as a backdrop to a surreal tale of love and death and the uncertainty of what is reality and what isn't.

There is nothing quite like Dellamorte Dellamore and it should be viewed with an understanding that the life of Francesco Dellamorte is something of an enigma. Most of it is wide open for interpretation and I'm sure different people will take different meanings away from it. It's also the type of film that requires more than one viewing. Every time I watch it I enjoy it more and more and I often seem to catch something new I didn't on my last viewing.

There's very few horror films I would call artistic, or even beautiful. Dellamorte Dellamore is both. The script and the cinematography are so carefully constructed it's just a joy to behold.

---

Final Viewed List:

#01) The Cabin in the Woods (2012) (Oct 1)
#02) Piranha (1978) (Oct 2)
#03) Piranha DD (2012) (Oct 3)
#04) The Living Dead Girl (aka La morte vivante) (1982) (Oct 4)
#05) Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper (1980) (Oct 5)
#06) Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) (Oct 6) (rewatch)
#07) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) (Oct 7) (rewatch)
#08) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006) (Oct 8) (rewatch)
#09) Motel Hell (1980) (Oct 9)
#10) Deranged (1974) (Oct 10)
#11) The Burning (1981) (Oct 11)
#12) Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) (Oct 12) (rewatch)
#13) The Fly (1958) (Oct 13)
#14) The Fly (1986) (Oct 14) (rewatch)
#15) The Fly II (1989) (Oct 15) (rewatch)
#16) Nazis at the Center of the Earth (2012) (Oct 16)
#17) Abraham Lincoln vs Zombies (2012) (Oct 17)
#18) Exit Humainity (2011) (Oct 19)
#19) Fright Night (1985) (Oct 20)
#20) Fright Night Part II (1988) (Oct 21)
#21) Fright Night (2011) (Oct 21)
#22) Insidious (2010) (Oct 22)
#23) Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) (Oct 23)
#24) Hellraiser: Bloodline (1996) (Oct 24)
#25) The Fog (1980) (Oct 25)
#26) In the Mouth of Madness (1994) (Oct 26)
#27) An American Werewolf in London (1981) (Oct 27) (rewatch)
#28) A Little Bit Zombie (2012) (Oct 28)
#29) Stake Land (2010) (Oct 29)
#30) The Prowler (1981) (Oct 30)
#31) Dellamorte Dellamore/Cemetery Man (1994) (Oct 31) (rewatch)

Overall, I had a pretty good run of movies this year. I didn't get worn down as much as I did last year and discovered some really great flicks. I did rewatch a little more than I would have liked due to new Blu-ray releases and stuff I got on sale, but it was mostly stuff I haven't seen since I was a kid.

Highlights: The Cabin in the Woods & Fright Night (1985)
Disappointments: Piranha DD & Anthropophagus
Complete Crap: Insidious
Old 10-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Time to bump this bitch up again.

Started Day 1 off with Scream and currently watching Child's Play. Haven't really put together a list this time, doing it spontaneously this year however I do want to get through Amityville series, and Child's Play. Last year it was all about Hellraiser and I got through it except the very recent one.

This year I'm using this marathon to get through a bunch of Italian horror I've been meaning to watch for years. Mostly Argento and Fulci along with a few others.

What's everyone doing this year?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:59 PM
This year, I'm out. That experiment last year was fun, but it required a lot of filler movies like the Universal monster movies to pad it out. Plus, the constant reminder to watch horror almost everyday (or multiple movies in one day). What made it worth doing last year was the so-called Doomsday in December. What if it was for real? It could have been the last October. Go out with a bang! Did make 32 movies in 31 days which was something. I have had a large video store of mostly unseen movies, ordered online or from the recent horror convention, to get me through this fall season. Am content to continue taking my time with it, and may watch 10 to 15 movies this October. May still contribute to this thread anyway.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:40 AM
I'm totally in this year, well most years I am in but I vow not to fall a slumber during any of them anyways haha. So last night I started off with Carpenters HalloweeN and tonight it shall be fright night (original). We'll see where this marathon goes but I have a few in mind that I haven't seen , any suggestions (not knowing at all what I've seen...) ?
Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 PM
digifruitella, catching up on the classic Italian cinema, That's a great way to make it through this month. That, and any kind of series marathon, like all the "Children of the Corn" films last year. By now, I've seen Argento's major work, have seen a handful of Fulci's work, and handfuls of Mario/Lamberto Bava's work. There are a few Italian giallos in my video store, two by Mario Bava, that I most likely will catch this month.

son_of_arrow, I just got around to finally seeing "Fright Night" recently and loved it. Such a great `80's movie. Hope you enjoyed it as well. Don't care that much for vampires, but that movie makes the concept exciting. It does for vampires, what "The Howling" did for werewolves. Do have the sequel in my video store and will most likely catch it this month as well.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:43 PM
okee so all is creepy and rocked a nice duo+1 o' horror flicks today. First off was Pumpkinhead, then the was Curse of the Cat Lover’s Grave (2003) (a James Rolfe short film (avgn)), and now I will finish off with Halloween 2 (rosenthal). Duke Nukem, I also have Fright Night 2 and while it is not as great, it does have redeeming moments.The first though, well, I grew up with it so if I'm still watching it ... must be doing something right. Havent seen the remake yet though, may check that out this month as well...
Old 10-03-2013, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Nukem View Post
digifruitella, catching up on the classic Italian cinema, That's a great way to make it through this month. That, and any kind of series marathon, like all the "Children of the Corn" films last year. By now, I've seen Argento's major work, have seen a handful of Fulci's work, and handfuls of Mario/Lamberto Bava's work. There are a few Italian giallos in my video store, two by Mario Bava, that I most likely will catch this month.
Totally! This is the second year I'm doing this and it gets me focused and dedicated. You know how it is - for years you'd hear about some flick and you just never watch it. These events are perfect for catching up on this stuff, finally. Last year I did a Hellraiser series marathon which I loved. I think I got through a few of Wishmasters too.

I am planning on doing the Children of the Corn series and Amityville. Italian horror stuff I've been meaning to watch for like ever and only about two years ago I started to finally get into Fulci. Out of Argento I've only seen Suspiria, and now is the time to just watch everything else by him.

Bava is another one I kept hearing about, so I'll check these out.

----

so Day #2: rewatched Scream 2 and watched Child's Play 2 - can't hold a candle to the original.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Day #3

Zombi 3

Not the best of Fulci. Oh and what the fuck was up with the 'sequel' aspect of this series in general. To me Zombi 2 is just plain Zombi, and 3 is the sequel. I can't think of these as sequels to Romero's stuff. So confusing

Child's Play 3

Much better than the second one. Jack Bender who would become Lost series director showed better directing than the director of the sequel - whoever it was. See, I don't even remember who...
Old 10-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Day #4

Suspiria

Classic shit right here. Over the years for some reason I would never finish this film. Even the first time ever I saw it playing late at night on TV I'd only get halfway - but finished it once and for all. Great stuff, so influential in terms of style. Can't wait to check out other Argento films
Old 10-05-2013, 10:55 PM
It will be interesting to see someone else tackle the "Children of the Corn" series. Good luck with it. It was that series alone that really left me exhausted last year. And also the "Amityville" series. Have yet to see all of them myself. Have seen up to Part 4 and also "Amityville Dollhouse." Remember the first four well enough, but have largely forgotten "Dollhouse."

Ah, starting off with familiar franchise movies. Not that I love the original "Scream" that much, but the first sequel is decent and does deliver on a fair level. "Child's Play 2" abondons the original film's seriousness and obviously loses some points right away for that. But if the secret is officially out, what could they do? It's a cheesier entry but a fun one. It does deliver. The third entry, on the other, definitely does disappoint. Despite it's fresh setting, there is a staleness to it. It also doesn't help it was rushed into production and released to theaters NINE MONTHS after Part 2. That's how you a kill a series. Thank God for "Bride of Chucky" coming to the rescue. However, I do find Part 3 mildly entertaining and somewhat above-average for its military base setting. It does get away with some new things. That said, it is technically the worst entry in the series. After that, I do find "Bride/Seed of Chucky" hilarious and entertaining sequels. "Seed of Chucky" acts as good closure to the series. But there is a "Curse of Chucky" coming out this month that might challenge Part 3 for its bottom position.

As for "Suspiria," I watched that again recently. In the past, I never got the love for it - and I still don't now. However, I do have respect it and its reputation. It has the fantastic music and blue/green lighting, but that isn't enough. To me, there's something missing. Either that, or I really am much more entertained by Argento's black-gloved killer Giallos over his fantasy/witches trilogy. My immature reasons for disliking it in the past are gone. Some victims die by unusual means, and that's okay now and somewhat effective. Not every death has to feature a knife and bucket of blood. The movie used to be average to me, and now it is above-average. Don't totally enjoy it, but Argento definitely gets some points for it. If you liked "Suspiria" that much, Digifruitella, You should definitely enjoy Argento's other work.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Finally, my Halloween begins! From Day 1 to Day 5 . . .

1) Wedding Slashers (2006) - Oh my gosh, this movie sucks. Some poor woman comes from a crazy, inbred family and escaped from them years ago. But in the years since, every boy and man she's liked has been killed in unlikely accidents. She is now on the verge of - very reluctantly - getting married and her worst fears are correct. Her family has found her and are intent on killing her friends. This story is incredibly lame. Not much better is the production. It falls in between a shot-on-video film and a professionally made one. It looks a little better than a shot-on-video film, but in overall execution is just as inept as one. The best thing about it is the gore. Not that it's always convincing, but the filmmakers went the extra mile to give the audience a good, bloody show. But not every movie is worth seeing for gore, especially a movie as crappy as this one. * out of 4

2) Dream Home (201?) - Not to be confused with 2011's "Dream House" starring Daniel Craig and Rachel Weizs. This is an Asian horror effort centered on the failed housing market in 2008. It didn't just strike the United States, it also struck Hong Kong. A woman desperately wants a particular apartment with a seaside view. When things don't go her way, she is willing to kill for it. Very bloody and also very dramatic. Some of the death scenes are particularly cruel, such as wrapping strip tries around victim's necks. That's new. As with "The Grudge" films, the story-telling is non-linear and jumps all over the place. But by the end, everything makes sense. A very different and original Asian horror film. And based on a true story in 2007, believe it or not. *** out of 4

So far, 2 for 5.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:56 PM
I thought you weren't doing one this year Duke?

Skipped out on the past few days but I'm going to make up for it this weekend. Tonight I just watched these two for the first time.

Creepshow

So this reminded me somewhat of Twilight Zone: The Movie. I'd say my favorite episode was the second one with Stephen King and one with Holbrook.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage

Wow. I've been sitting on this one for too many years. Strong debut from Argento and I thought I knew where this was going too... still, much of horror that came after it seems to have been influenced by this film, especially in the slasher genre. But easily the best film I've watched in this marathon so far.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Not totally, Digit. I'm not going to exhaust myself with 31 movies again, have other things going on, but still feel like having fun and contributing.

"The Bird With the Crystal Plumage" is an excellent Argento film and Giallo. I envy your position right now, seeing these different breeds of films for the first time. You can only first see them and feel freshly amazed once.

From Day 6 to Day 8 . . .

3) Hide and Seek (2005) – Caught this re-watch on HBO. Robert De Niro is a psychologist who moves his daughter, Dakota Fanning, out of the city and into the country after tragedy. Soon enough, Fanning finds herself an imaginary – and possibly menacing – friend. This is unexpected, an adult thriller with an R-rating and a child actress in a major role. Yet, despite a promising setup, it is perhaps squandered by the execution of its conclusion – or the conclusion itself. If you’ve seen it, you be the judge. I can’t help but it somewhat underrated. **1/2 out of 4

4) Link (1986) – Elisabeth Shue is a zoology student who assists college professor, Terence Stamp, with his apes and champanzees at his estate. The ape, named Link, has been specially trained by Stamp, but clearly he has never seen a “Planet of the Apes” marathon. Apes can be quite intelligent, and at some point Link will be trouble. Obviously similar to its younger brother, “Monkey Shines” from 1988. Refreshingly, it (and that other film) plays like a lower-scale version of “Planet of the Apes.” It may not be plausible, but is a reminder to not take the intelligence of apes lightly. This being an HBO production, it isn’t as polished as a typical Hollywood film and is a little rough around the edges. The odd choices of music doesn’t always benefit the film, either. But what makes all the difference are the directorial touches by Richard Franklin. He directed “Road Games” and “Psycho II,” and knows how to deliver the goods. I can thank Leonard Maltin, who gave it a “glowing” BOMB rating, for making me aware of this largely unknown film. *** out of 4

5) Blood and Black Lace (1964) – In an early Giallo effort by Mario Bava, a killer is targeting fashion models. This is mildly diverting, but unlike some of Bava’s other films made before and after this, it feels dated. The fashion house setting might have been novel at the time, but does not disguise a less-than-inspired slasher. And if the title sounds sensational, remember that horror movies were not yet allowed to be especially gory in the early `60’s. That said, the attacks are fairly brutal. More slapping-around type of violence was being accepted by this time. **1/2 out of 4

So far, 5 for 8.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:12 PM
I hear you about seeing these films for the first time. Though in all honesty I almost wish I'd seen them when I was a kid. Horror films had such a greater effect on me back then.

Nightmare City

What Planet Terror essentially used as a framework. Comparison aside. I enjoyed it, didn't blow me away as much as Plumage did, however still a fun flick. Fun bit of trivia, the moment I saw "Hugo Stiglitz" in the opening credits, I knew that Tarantino referenced this film in naming a character that in Inglourious Basterds
Old 10-11-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm in again this year. I'll start posting my reviews a bit later. They're a bit wordy though so I hope you guys don't mind.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:23 AM
The Conjuring

This is what an effective horror film looks like, despite the story of possession being told over and over again to us over so many decades. If you have an effective approach, you make a great horror film. That's what Friedkin did with The Exorcist, and that's what Wan has done here. What a simmering atmosphere that erupts, and accelerates the insanity within the film by the last act. I haven't felt actually scared by a horror film like this since seeing the original Thai film Shutter in 2007 (I might be lying, Sinister from last year was pretty effective as well) - but I digress, because the point remains. Great horror - EFFECTIVE horror seems hard to come by - at least in the mainstream cinema.

Fuck it though. I had to shift my headphones on more than one occasion slightly down from my ears in case of a huge fucked up scare, or obscure my vision with my hand in front of my eyes while squinting - YES, that's how effective it was to me. You know, for a first time viewing of this film - that usually is a good thing for a horror film.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Oh, yes, "The Conjuring" was actually a little bit scary, which says something for anyone whose seen too much horror by now.

From Day 9 to Day 12 . . .

6) Bloodbeat (1982) – A very bizarre supernatural slasher. A family is haunted by a supernatural entity in the form of a samurai figure with a sword. The mother sees visions, has a few X-men-ish abilities, and is capable of fighting back against their sworn enemy. People are sliced and diced with the samurai sword, and there are “Poltergeist”-type spooky activity in the house. Very different, quite unusual, and refreshingly entertaining. *** out of 4

7) The Frozen Ground (2013) – A straight-to-video film and horror-thriller about a real-life serial killer in Alaska who was caught in 1983. Played by John Cusack of all people, he targeted prostitutes in the cold, snow-filled state since 1971. Local police didn’t take the little clues of a possible serial killer seriously, but detective Nicolas Cage did. This is Cage’s best film and performance in years. He underplays it and shows signs of a good actor again. Cusack is just as convincing in his estremely against-type role. More of a thriller than a horror film, and perhaps a little too dramatic and talky, but still very effective. *** out of 4

8) Eaten Alive (1977) – Some of these motels and hotels in horror cinema, they could only exist in the movies. And how the hotel in this Tobe Hooper film has lasted more than one day of business is a miracle. It is run by a backwoods character, has a caged-up pond with a crocodile, and somehow, almost every guest in less than one particular day’s time winds up on the croc’s menu. Very gory and fairly entertaining. **1/2 out of 4

So far, 8 for 12.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:03 AM
The Night Flier

All about the last couple minutes.

The Cat o' Nine Tails

Sophomore offering from Argento, and he continues to be decent. While not as intriguing as The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, it's solid enough.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Looks like you're working your way down Argento's "Animal" trilogy. First "The Bird/Plumage," then "Cat/Tails," and then will be "Four Flies on Grey Velvet." "Cat/Tails" is indeed a decent effort from him. I just purchased "Curse of Chucky" today and will be watching it tonight.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Yeah I'm going from the beginning up, so far so good. Supplementing it with Fulci too.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Day 13 to Day 14 . . .

9) Curse of Chucky (2013) – Holy crap! And I thought I saw everything. My initial belief about “Seed of Chucky” finishing the series with closure was way wrong. And my concern about “Curse” discounting “Bride/Seed of Chucky” for the sake of a re-start was nonsense. Chucky’s family has moved on, but there is still nepotism going around. Brad Dourif’s daughter, Fiona, plays the young heroine. Her mother is mysteriously sent a Good Guy doll and she just as mysteriously dies. She’s thought to have committed suicide. Fiona’s character is also wheelchair-bound, which adds an obstacle to the suspense. On the eve of her mother’s funeral, her sister and family stays over at the house…and so on.

This is a different Chucky movie. It has a smaller bodycount, fairly effective and gory death scenes, longer running time, fewer laughs, and more legitimate suspense. Chucky has a loose connection to the family, and by the end there is full closure (just wait for them to make an “Estate of Chucky,” and I’ll be eating my words again!). But there really should be more than enough closure by now to complete this series. It’s over. They can go ahead and reboot the series with a new voice actor in a few years. It will be perfectly okay with me. Concerned at all about Chucky’s facial appearance looking a little odd in the preview? Don’t worry about it, there’s a reason for it. The old Chucky is still here. That said, the overall special effects creating Chucky aren’t perfect. Not sure if they could afford puppeteers operating from beneath the floor boards this time around. Chucky seems real at times and CGI other times. But he looks real enough. And if you do end up seeing this, it is one movie where you have to skip through the end credits for one last surprise. *** out of 4

10) Lord of Illusions (1995) – I remember eye-balling this movie in the VHS days, and it might be a good thing I didn’t end up seeing it as a child. Horror movies that are dark and complex, instead of stupid fun, can be a bit much for younger minds (“A Clockwork Orange” would also apply; not your run-of-the-mill horror effort). This Clive Barker film was worth finally seeing. It is about illusionists who fool audiences with trickery versus magicians who perform the trade for real and for a devilish price. Scott Bakula plays a detective investigating a case concerning illlusionists, magicians and a cult leader who was killed years earlier. I was under the impression that this film would enter a nightmarish, supernatural world. Not so. It largely sticks to reality and doesn’t retread into beyond-your-world “Hellraiser” territory. But it is still sick and unconventional horror. It is many things. Challenging and not for everyone. A simple enough premise perhaps drawn out to overlength. And ultimately different and original. It also gives you the only opportunity to see George Costanza’s boss playing a demon cult leader. *** out of 4

So far, 10 for 14.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:52 PM
From Day 15 to Day 17 . . .

11) The Phantom of the Opera (1989) – The inevitably, and perhaps unfairly, dubbed “Freddy Krueger” version of the classic film-turned-Broadway sensation. Compared to “A Nightmare on Elm Street 5,” it certainly has a more desirable performance from Robert Englund. He is credible in the part and so is late `80’s scream queen Jill Schoelen as the opera singer. This is a expectedly gorier take, but it does retain a sense of classiness and romance. *** out of 4

12) The Broken (2008) – This is a re-watch from my Afterdark Horrorfest boxset. Ever wonder if there is a secret, dark world beyond mirrors and your reflection? In this movie, there is one and it is a unique take on “Invasion of the Body Snatchers.” Stars Lena Headey and Richard Jenkins. Very understated, low-key and creepy. *** out of 4

So far, 12 for 17.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:35 PM
I take it you're busy with obligations, digifruitella. I hope I'm not stealing your thunder. Don't mean to be. Smaller turnout this year.

From Day 18 to Day 20 . . .

13) Goosebumps (1990’s TV series based on the books) – Have been feeling like nostalgic lately and turned to this boxset from a horror convention. 4 or 5 episodes make up a movie’s length. Watched “Stay Out of the Basement” (two-parter), “Say Cheese and Die” (starring a young Ryan Gosling) and “A Night in Terror Tower” (two-parter).

14) Mortuary (1983) – In this slasher rip-off, something strange is going on at the local mortuary. Amusingly, this plays very much like a rated-R episode of “Scooby Doo.” College-age characters sneak around warehouse locations and a killer dresses up like the grim reaper, actually resembling a “Scooby Doo” villain. Not only that, there is the opportunity to see Fred and Daphne screw around, while the cartoonish villain gets to kill a few people for a change. The movie appears to be about people being buried alive, but it isn’t. Bill Paxton, in a supporting role, joins the long list of stars who had to put with crap like this before becoming famous. **1/2 out of 4

15) Another round of “Goosebumps.” Watched “Attack of the Mutant” (two-parter) and “Night of the Living Dummy III” (a two-parter starring a young Hayden Christensen).

16) Kingdom of the Spiders (1977) – A nature-runs-amok tale with tarantulas overrunning a small town. It seems that pesticides have upset the balance of nature and killed off spider’s food supply. So now, they are turning to livestock, pets and humans. Stars William Shatner in one of his better non-“Star Trek” roles. A solid effort made with hundreds of thousands of real spiders. *** out of 4

So far, 16 for 20.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Didn't really keep up with posting here like last year, but then I had more drive and motivation since a lot of people were participating too so it was more fun.

Anyway after Cat o' Nine Tails this is what I've seen - I didn't end up watching Children of the Corn or Amityville films - :/ but I did get through a few more Italian horror.

So in order after my last post here...

The Dark Half
Hotel
Deep Rising
House of Usher
Tales of Terror
Graveyard Shift
Tower of London
The Raven
Candyman
The Masque of the Red Death
Four Flies on Grey Velvet
Don’t Torture a Duckling
Seed of Chucky
Deep Red
The New York Ripper
Manhattan Baby
Tenebre

out of all the films - the highlights for me were definitely:

Bird with a Crystal Plumage - classic shit - I loved this quite a bit

The Conjuring - extremely effective, even though we've seen this type of story being told SO many times over.

Hotel - wasn't on the list of films to see, very spontaneous selection but man what an atmosphere. It's more arthouse type of horror, but it's well worth it for how surreal it all is. It's ALL atmosphere. Seek it out.

The Masque of the Red Death - probably the best Price/Corman collaboration. I'd say it has mostly to do with the strength of Poe's short story. Corman and Price knew they weren't making grand cinema with their collabs on Poe but this one was not bad despite obvious B-movie feel.

Don't Torture a Duckling - I mean was that ending one of the most awesome fucking death scenes ever? If there's one thing I've learned about Italian horror is that the films may drag on (like the later Fulci films I've seen) but the end is almost always satisfying. I think they made those films as an excuse to just shoot a death sequence at the end, hehe.

Deep Red - man, did Cronenberg totally rip off the opening of this film in Scanners (in his OWN way, or what) - but I should've seen that end coming - but that flashback, oh man it was so conscious but it's so brief that it jut doesn't register in your mind. The giveaway is in the film and you still don't know up until the end (at least I didn't, I guess you ought to learn how to read clues better in a horror film, especially when some of them are now formulaic)

Wish this thread was more lively this year, but here's hoping third year's going to be more awesome.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:25 PM
I understand you losing interest in posting. It got pretty cold this year. You definitely saw a good balk of Italian horror and classic Vincent Price films. I read Stephen King's "The Dark Half" early this year, and then looked forward to being inevitably disappointed by its movie adaptation. It definitely disappointed and lacked too many elements from the book, but it is okay for what it is. That was the only Stephen King book I read first or at all. Compared to how bad the movie "Pet Cemetery" is, the book has to be better but not in a rush to read it.

I saw 24 movies without the need to reach 31. That only would have left 7 filler movies to make the full 31, and might have made that without a hitch if my heart was totally in it this year.

Finishing up what I saw:

17) Shallow Grave (1987)
18) Return to Horror High (1987)
19) The Black Belly of the Tarantula (1971) - Italian giallo with a fancy title
20) The Surgeon (1994)
21) April Fool's Day (1986)
22) Carrie (2013)
23) Four+ episodes of the live-action "Tales From the Crypt" show
24) Another four+ episodes of "Tales/Crypt"
Old 11-02-2013, 12:58 AM
Yeah it was definitely cold this year. Anyone reading this, come on guys - this only happens once a year. It's like Black Christmas for us horror fans, we should celebrate the holidays. Lol.

Duke, you were watching a lot of films I'd love to see. The kind of under the radar horror. Next year I'm planning to watch more films like that. That are not on the "Top lists" that regurgitate and repeat with everyone's horror lists. There's one horror film I've had for a while called Popcorn - that's the type I really want to get into. I may warm up by watching a few, but I want to accumulate a nice list for like 31 or even more films for next October so I can watch them all. Maybe I can steal a few of the ones you've seen - or you can recommend. I'm into that grindhouse stuff - but then all horror is considered grind. Either way. It was good catching up on some of Argento's films. I may just knock out his entire filmography pre-90's (when I hear he started to suck badly) - Fulci, I think I've seen all the best work of his and the last two from him that I've seen weren't that incredible. New York Ripper was a fun one mainly because isn't that his first stab at a giallo? not to mention it's essentially his Psycho/Dressed to Kill. Manhattan Baby just didn't do anything for me.

Next year I might dabble in Bava, and whoever else that's worthy of checking out in Italian horror. Maybe you can recommend some, Duke.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Wow. Where to begin...I've seen a lot of under-the-radar horror in the last three years. My secret has been being fortunate to have two horror conventions a year in my state the past decade. By 2010, I had acquired all the bigger, well-known movies and had to learn about the other movies at the conventions I knew nothing about. All that homework has paid off and I'm now running out of 1970's/`80's/`90's movies to see. A lot of it has been bootlegs that might be available now, some were official movies, but a large number of official movies came from ordering sites this year since finally opening my mind to ordering online.

Absolutely, Digifruitella, I'll recommend you the best of the under-the-radar horror. The first thing you can do is go to the Horror Reviews forum and check out the first five pages. I covered most of these movies and did full-length reviews in 2011, and did a review thread called "The Video Store" with mini-reviews in 2012. Give me time, and I can go through my lists to pick out the best of the bunch. You might even have enough movies to get you through two or more Halloween seasons. Oh, and if "Popcorn" is just one under-the-radar film you know of, which is a decent slasher, there is a lot more to dig into. Concerning Italian Cinema, there is both Mario and Lamberto Bava (father and son) to try out next year. I may have seen one-third or half of Mario's work, and quite a bit of Lamberto's work in the 1980's is very entertaining.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 11-02-2013 at 10:52 PM..
Old 11-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Sounds like a deal to me. I try to seek out this stuff, but assistance from an aficionado would be dope!

I'll check the reviews section and add some to the list. Thanks for the help man
Old 11-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Here you go, Digifruitella. About 120 under-the-radar movies.

Here are best of the under-the-radar horror films I’ve come across this in the past decade. Not all of them are the best, but some are unique and worth a look. But first, some obvious movies first. If by chance, you haven’t seen these, check them out.

-American Gothic (1988) – A slasher with young adults winding up on an island with a couple of religious zealots and their middle-aged and disturbed “children.”

-Christine (1983) – A Stephen King tale with a demonic car.

-Chopping Mall (1986) – Teens in a mall past midnight with corrupted robots targeting them. Stupid fun.

-Dr. Giggles (1992) – Larry Drake plays a maniacal doctor. Stupid fun.

-The Entity (1983) – A poor woman is raped by an unseen spirit. Very dramatic and disturbing, and even a little bit scary. Based on a true story.

-Fright Night (1985) – This is one of the best modern vampire movies. That’s if you still call the 1980’s “modern.” Either way, it blows all the “Twilight” bullcrap out of the park.

-The Funhouse (1980) – A slasher with teenagers trapped in a funhouse with a humanoid killer.

-Hell Night (1981) – A slasher with Linda Blair entering a fraternity and staying at a local haunted house overnight.

-Leviathan (1989) – This is best described as “ ‘Alien’ underwater” with a monster attacking an undersea base. The best of several such films in 1989.

-My Bloody Valentine (1981) – This holiday-themed slasher was finally released uncut in 2009 and is definitely worth seeing.

-Prom Night (1980) – A slasher with poor Jamie Lee Curtis at her prom.

-The Prowler (1981) – A slasher concerning a World War II vet receiving a “Dear John” letter during the war, taking revenge, and having more revenge 30 years later. Drawn out at times, but very bloody.

-The Relic (1997) – This is a more recent movie with a monster in a museum. It’s sort of “ ‘Alien’ in a museum.”

-Terror Train (1980) – A slasher with poor Jamie Lee Curtis on a train with her graduating class on New Year’s Eve.

The Slasher Rip-offs of “Halloween/Friday The 13th”

-Alone in the Dark (1982) – A slasher with three escaped lunatics on the loose. Stars Donald Pleasence, Martin Landau and Jack Palance.

-Bloody Birthday (1981) – Three disturbed kids who were born during an eclipse go on a little rampage. Really stands out.

-Curtains (1983) – This slasher concerns a little bit of fun at a mental ward and a house where one or more actresses might be willing to kill to get a part in a film.

-Eyes of a Stranger (1981) – This slasher is a little more raw, disturbing and perhaps exploitive. It also has Jennifer Jason Leigh in her film debut playing deaf and blind.

-The Fan (1981) – A classier slasher with Lauren Becall as a famous actress starring in a broadway play, and a young Michael Beihn as a disturbed fan infatuated with her. Has some nice musical numbers.

-Fatal Games (1984) – A slasher set at an athletic school for Olympic athletes. The killer’s weapon of choice is a javelon.

-Final Exam (1981) – A slasher set at a college. This one is more straight-forward and less bloody, but still effective.

-Happy Birthday to Me (1981) – A slasher with Melissa Sue Anderson from “Little House on the Prairie.”

-He Knows You’re Alone (1980) – A slasher with a killer targeting brides-to-be. One bride-to-be and her friends are targeted, and Tom Hanks pops up in his film debut in a supporting role.

-Hospital Massacre (1982) – This is the best slasher set at a hospital. Really gory and effective.

-The Initiation (1984) – This slasher initially takes place at a college, then at a mall in the second half. Really stands out.

-Iced (1988) – A slasher set at a ski resort location, or rather just a cabin.

-Intruder (1989) – A slasher set at a supermarket. I felt that this was barely above average despite the novel setting and gory death scenes. It’s possible that I’ve just seen too many of these slashers. Others seem to enjoy this more and so might you.

-Madman (1982) – A typical rip-off of “Friday The 13th” with a summer camp setting and a legend of a lunatic told at a campfire scene. Very bloody.

-New Year’s Evil (1981) – A holiday slasher with a killer targeting people within the different time zones when midnight strikes. Features some great rock music.

-Nightmare in a Damaged Brain (1981) – Very much a rip-off of “Halloween,” but has some striking alternate ideas. Very bloody and among the best of its type.

-Night School (1981) – A slasher set at a college. The killer wears motorcycle gear and there is a theme concerning tribal head-hunting and decapitations.

-Rocktober Blood (1984) – A slasher centered around a rock band. Features some great rock music.

-Silent Scream (1980) – This slasher takes place at a boarding house for college kids.

-Student Bodies (1981) – This might be the best parody of the `80’s slashers.

-Unmasked Part 25 (1989) – This is not a rip-off or a parody, but rather a satire of “Friday The 13th.” Its Jason takes off his hockey mask, talks, quotes classic literature, and falls in love with a blind woman. It is also very bloody. Be sure to seek out the uncut version, it is a lot more watchable.

The Italian Giallo Films.

-A Bay of Blood (1971) – This Giallo from Mario Bava was the prototype for future American slashers in the 1980’s. It definitely inspired the first two “Friday The 13th” films. Pretty gory for its time.

-Beyond the Darkness (1979) – A man loses his wife, but that doesn’t stop him from taking back her body and preserving it at his home. People who stumble upon his secret pay for it.

-A Blade in the Dark (1983) – A good Giallo from Lamberto Bava.

-Cat in a Brain (1990) – This may have been the last solid film from Lucio Fucli. He directs and plays himself, a horror film director who needs a break from the dark subject matter and feels like he’s losing his mind. It’s not great, but is especially bloody and very different.

-City of the Living Dead a.k.a The Gates of Hell (1983) – The best and most solidly entertaining zombie epic from Lucio Fulci.

-Demons (1986) – People attend a movie theater for a horror film about demons, and the people in the audience starting turning into demons for real. This is a creative effort from Lamberto Bava.

-The Fifth Cord (1971) – This is a less sensational Giallo compared to the works of Dario Argento. It is a straight-forward mystery, sort of has a black-gloved killer, but it has the stylish direction to back it up.

-The Girl Who Knew Too Much (1963) – Mario Bava gave birth to the Giallo with this film.

-Kill, Baby…Kill (1966) – This Giallo from Mario Bava is set in an ancient village haunted by a creepy ghost girl.

-Macabre (1980) – Lamberto Bava’s directorial debut is a Giallo without a bodycount, but with the stylish direction and a real mystery. It concerns a woman who lost her lover, and a blind man working at her apartment building who is in love with her, and yet is still teased and rejected by her.

-Spider Labyrinth (1988) – One of the last really good Giallos before the subgenre faded out in the late `80’s. Has a really good mystery to get sucked into.

The “Nature-Runs-Amok” films.

-Alligator (1980) – an alligator flushed down a toilet becomes a giant menace in a city’s sewer system several years later. It is a practical effect and delivers. Today, it would be all CGI and it probably has been done to lesser effect on Syfy.

-Ants (1977) – A TV-movie with ants taking over a hotel. A decent and fun effort for a film about normal-sized ants.

-Blood Beach (1981) – This is sort of a satire of the “nature-runs-amok” subgenre. Don’t worry about any sharks that might be in the water. Don’t worry about getting to the water at all. Instead, worry about whatever the heck is in the sand pulling you beneath the surface.

-Kingdom of the Spiders (1977) – Tarantulas take over a small town. Thousands of real spiders were used to good effect. If filmed today, it would all be CGI. Really creepy crawly.

-Link (1986) – A student stays at her zoologist’s mansion to help assist him with his specially trained chimpanzees and monkeys. But one chimp is too well-trained and detests its existence. That can only mean trouble.

-The Nest (1988) – Cockroaches take over a small town. Really gross and creepy crawly.

-Orca (1977) – After an ignorant fisherman unwittingly kills a killer whale and her bady, the deceased killer whale’s mate takes revenge on the small town. Perhaps one off-putting aspect is the cold fisherman who never quite feels responsible for his actions. What happens to Bo Derek is priceless. Not because of her character, but because she infamously became the Paris Hilton of the 1980’s.

-Slugs (1988) – Snails exposed to toxic waste take over a small town. Really gory, disgusting, and creepy crawly.

-Squirm (1976) – A thunderstorm strikes and affects the local worm population in a small town. It takes its time, but is worth it for the payoff. Really creepy crawly.

-Them! (1954) – This can be classified as an early “nature-runs-amok” film or one of the “Attack of the Monster” movies of the 1950’s. If you want to see a really good movie about giant-sized ants, and not crappy-looking ones on Syfy, this is the film to see. Real practical effects and good fun.

-Ticks (1993) – Ticks in a wooded area are affected by steroids. Really gross and fun.

The “Attack of the Monster” Movies from the 1950’s. All these films are older, dated and black & white, but give them a chance. These are the best of those films.

-The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (1953) – Before Japan had “Godzilla,” the U.S beat them to it with this film. It takes its time getting to the big action, but is worth it for the payoff.

-It Came From Beneath Sea (1955) – The monster in this one is a giant octopus and is really cool. It also takes its time getting to the big action, but is worth it for the payoff.

-Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956) – These are UFO’s and not giant monsters, but I still count it, because of the stop-motion effects by Ray Harryhausen. He’s the special effects genius behind all these films. Before CGI, there were stop-motion effects and animated effects. This film is the “Independence Day” of the 1950’s, very sensational and has good action from beginning to end.

-20 Million Miles to Earth (1957) – Astronauts return to Earth with a little mutant beasty. The beasty grows larger and larger, until it is creating much havoc. The beasty in question is kind of like “King Kong.” Ray Harryhausen grew up on “King Kong” and this was a pet project for him. The beasty doesn’t belong in this strange land and doesn’t know better. The humans don’t know any better how to handle the beastie and the whole thing is tragic. This one also picks up the pace and has overall good action from beginning to end.

The John Carpenter films. Most of these might be obvious to you, but I’m throwing them out there anyway just in case. I’m sure there’s one you never heard of.

-In the Mouth of Madness (1995) – An investigator looks for a missing author of a creepy book, gets in over his head, and loses sight reality and fantasy. This is Carpenter at his peak.

-Prince of Darkness (1987) – Underneath a Church is evidence of a demon or the Devil. A research team stays over to study it, and that can’t be good. It takes its time, but is worth the pay off and is really creepy at times.

-Someone’s Watching Me (1978) – A TV-movie with a woman being stalked as soon as she moves into an apartment building. A solid and creepy TV-movie.

-They Live (1988) – A drifter discovers sunglasses that reveal the truth about the world. Aliens have taken over and have hidden messages of propaganda within all forms of advertisement.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:25 PM
The miscelaneous movies.

-Afraid of the Dark (1992) – There is a killer targeting blind women in a blind community. One boy is going blind himself and tries to stop the killer. This captures a childhood feeling, in a kind of creepy way, in which one does not completely know or trust the outside world yet.

-Anatomy (2000) – This is a German slasher set at a medical school and is pretty good. There is a sequel, but it is below average.

-Bad Dreams (1988) – A woman is the only survivor of a cult that went up in flames. She is now staying at an institute, seeing visions of her scarred cult leader, and the other patients are dying in mysterious ways. This is a so-called rip-off of “A Nightmare on Elm Street” and a good one.

-The Bedroom Window (1987) – This is a Hitchcockian thriller with Steve Guttenberg showing he’s not just that guy from the “Police Academy” films. This is a good part for him. He has an affair, the woman witnesses an attempted murder from his window, and he has to pretend to be the witness and call the police. It does not play out smoothly for him.

-Bloodbeat (1982) – A supernatural slasher with a samurai figure with a sword. Very different. It turns to “Poltergeist”-like visuals and special effects.

-The Blood on Satan’s Claw (1971) – During 1800’s, a mysterious body and claw is discovered. It soon enough disappears and causes a rift in a village. One child becomes possessed and forms a cult with the other children. Really weird and creepy.

-Blood Relations (1987) – A gold-digging woman finds out her fiance’s family are complete weirdos.

-The Brain (1988) – This concerns a TV-talk show brain-washing the public and a giant brain that has something to do with it. A cheesy good time.

-Bunny Lake is Missing (1965) – A woman drops her young daughter off at a new school. When she comes back to pick her up, the school staff knows nothing of this supposed child and the police don’t know how to believe her story.

-Buried Alive (1990) – Tim Matheson is a nice guy living in the country. His wife, Jennifer Jason Leigh, would rather be back in the city and is having an affair with another man. Matheson is poisoned, buried alive, and is sure to get his revenge.

-Burnt Offerings (1976) – In this haunted house movie, the house slowly changes the personalities of the family living in it in different ways. And no matter what, it will not let them get away. This has an average reputation, but I find it quite underrated.

-The Car (1977) – A demonic car stirs up trouble in a small town. It is a simple enough premise with good action and well-acted dramatics.

-Cold Prey (2006) and Cold Prey II (2008) – This is a Norwegian horror series set around a ski location with a snowy mountain man as a killer. Both are terrific slashers.

-Deadly Blessing (1981) – This is an Amish supernatural-ish slasher directed by Wes Craven. Like his future films, it concerns a fascination with dreams and a lot of creepy stuff, as well as a young and lovely Sharon Stone.

-Dead of Winter (1987) – An actress gets a gig for two men out in the country during winter season, but they have different plans for her. They need her to play a part in a scheme, and she is unable to escape when she realizes something is wrong.

-Death Ship (1980) – A demonic ship collides with a cruise ship and the survivors find refuge on it…but not for long.

-Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark (1973) – This was remade recently and was unseen by me. Have only seen this original TV-movie and that is good enough. A family moves into a house populated by tiny people/beasties. It is very creepy.

-Evilspeak (1982) – This may be the one and only opportunity to see a Clint Howard in a lead role, while still being taken seriously by the industry, and before he would take on a thousand supporting roles that would become his trademark. Here, he plays a young adult being bullied in a military school. He discovers an ancient sorcerer through a computer that comes to his aid in the name of revenge. It’s really cool.

-Eyes of Fire (1983) – During the 1700’s or so, settlers are living off the land. One wooded area is demonic and provides a lot of creepy stuff. This is the kind of forest that might have been torn down two centuries later and had that “Poltergiest” neighborhood built over it. One of the best under-the-radar films I’ve seen in the last several years.

-The Hand (1981) – Michael Caine plays a cartoonist who loses his drawing hand in a car accident. His marriage was already falling apart and now this. But now, that severed hand that was never found is crawling on its own and seeking revenge on those who wrong him. Like most horror movies, this one was blasted to hell. Critics call it dull, but I and a small minority find something to like in it. It does have a unique if unoriginal premise.

-Highway to Hell (1992) – Two eloping teens stop at a normal gas station for once, but are warned by the normal gas attendant to not take a particular road. They do take that particular road, run into a demon cop, and the the guy has to rescue his girl from the highway that leads into Hell. Patrick Bergman, who played the devil of a husband in “Sleeping With the Enemy,” plays the devil here and has a good time. A fun and crazy time.

-House of the Long Shadows (1983) – This is the one and only film to see horror stars Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and John Carradine all together in an “old dark house” type film. It also inexplicably stars TV celebrity Desi Arnaz, Jr. as a writer who stays at an old dark house looking for inspiration, and where his work is constantly interrupted by a lot weird strangers. People are tough on this film, largely because of Arnaz. Jr’s performance, but it didn’t bother me that much. It does offer the aging horror stars fun material to play with.

-Impulse (1984) – People are behaving oddly and uncharacteristically in a small town. It’s the opposite of “Invasion of the Body Snatchers,” in the way it has people over-emoting in creepy and disturbing ways.

-Invasion of the Body Snatachers (1956 and 1978) – Try out both of the first two versions of this classic tale. They both deliver for their time periods and still do now.

-I Spit on Your Grave (1981) – If you must see on exploitation film centered on a woman being raped and possibly murdered, it might as well be this. I did not enjoy the original “Last House on the Left” at all, and my only tolerance for this similar tale is the obvious story development that the poor woman survives her ordeal and gets revenge on each of her rapists. At some point, you might feel like seeing something much more different, dark and disturbing as a change of pace, and this one fit the bill well enough for me. I don’t need to see anymore similar films after this one.

-The Incubus (1981) – Similar to “The Entity,” with has an unseen spirit haunting and raping a woman, this film features a demon raping and murdering teenage girls and women. However, this film is more cheesy and exploitive in execution. It makes no apologies about it and doesn’t need to. Just as it is cheesy, it’s creepy and disturbing.

-Killer Party (1986) – A supernatural slasher set at a college with a good dose of cheesy fun.

-The Legend of Hell House (1973) – A team of paranormal investigators stay at an infamously haunted manor and try to find the source of its evil power. This is a haunted house movie with its own dark edge and a better reputation than “Burnt Offerings.” But I just didn’t feel the full power of it. Fell a little short for me. Others do enjoy this more than me, so it does deserve a mention. You might really enjoy this.

-The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane (1976) – This is another adult role that prevented Jodie Foster from properly growing up. She is a child seemingly living on her own and something’s not right. Where are her parents? A young Martin Sheen plays a creep with his eyes on her.

-Lord of Illusions (1995) – This film is not for everyone. It comes from Clive Barker of “Hellraiser” and “Candyman” fame, and unlike those films, it completely disappears into Barker’s dark ideas - here concerning illusionists who fool audiences with trickery, magicians who do it for real and for a devilish price, and a creepy cult square in the middle of it. It hardly feels conventional and takes too long to establish its overall premise. But it is an original and different tale of horror, just what I look for in good movie.

-Magic (1978) – Anthony Hopkins is a ventroloquist battling with himself. He has a good act, but there is a deeper, darker voice coming from him that he is losing control of. Very well done. Maybe the best movie about ventriloquism.

-The Manitou (1978) – This film has a terrible and laughable reputation. It is about an Indian medicine man who, with the use of black magic, is reborn through a fetus on a woman’s back. That cannot be comfortable. It stars and apparently embarrasses Susan Strasberg, Tony Curtis and Burgess Meredith. The hell with it, I enjoyed this. As preposterous as it is, it was exactly what I was looking – something original, different and ultimately entertaining. It wasn’t that bad in my eyes. It turns to “Poltergeist”-like visuals and special effects by the end and delivers a spooky good time.

Microwave Massacre (1983) – A man accidentally kills his nagging wife and leaves her cut-up body in a freezer. When he accidentally takes a bite out of her instead of meat, he realizes she tastes pretty good. Even his co-workers at his construction job enjoy his new lunches and have no idea! And with that big, brand new microwave, he can cook anything and anyone! This is considered a so-bad-its-good cult-classic. I consider it plain hilarious and entertaining.

-Paperhouse (1989) – A young girl has a wild imagination in her dreams that become real. So real, she meets a real boy through those dreams. There is a lot of innocent fantasy at first, but then things become very dark. One of the best under-the-radar films I’ve seen in the last several years.

-Parents (1989) – This is a dark comedy of sorts set in the 1950’s. A boy has nothing but leftovers for dinner. Where do they come from? What or who are they? His dad is Randy Quaid and his straight performance couldn’t be creepier. Like “Afraid of the Dark,” it captures a childhood feeling, in which one does not completely know or trust the outside world yet, and it is very creepy in that regard.

-The People Under the Stairs (1991) – Wes Craven fully re-captures his old magic here. It is an original idea set in the slums of a black, struggling neighborhoold. There is one creepy house owned by a couple of white people and they have people trapped in their basement. One black kid winds up trapped in the house, sneaks through passages and has to avoid traps. It is ultimately about the haves and have-nots of the 1990’s, and the 1% who are rich and 99% who are not issues that is so relevent right now. It is very creepy and has a message contained in it. One of the best under-the-radar films I’ve seen in the last several years.

-The Perfect Host (2010) – A thief takes refuge with a normal guy planning a dinner party, but neither one of them is who they seem to be. David Hype Pierce, brother Niles from “Frasier,” plays the normal guy and has fun time toying with the thief. It’s not totally horror. It’s sort of a thriller with dark comic edge to it.

-The Phantom of the Opera (1989) – The gory Freddy Krueger version of the classic film-turned Broadway sensation. However, I do feel it retains some of the classiness and romance from the source material. And more importantly, Robert Englund delivers a more passionate and committed performance than in his later “A Nightmare on Elm Street” sequels.

-Pin (1989) – Two rich teens lose their parents in a car accident. The sister is the social type, while the brother has an attachment to a life-size human body doll. Their father was a doctor and a ventroloquist. And the brother has learned the art of ventriloquism and doesn’t know how to escape his disturbing fantasy world. One of the best under-the-radar films I’ve seen in the last several years.

-Race With the Devil (1975) – Two couples traveling in an RV witness a cult’s human sacrifice and find themselves on an endless run. It has good action and a sense of creepiness.

-Reincarnation (2005) – This is one of those After Dark Horrorfest/8 Films to Die for movies. It is an exceptionally good Asian film about reincarnation and those creepy ghost girls that need haircuts. It stands out from “The Ring” and “The Grudge” films.

-Repulsion (1965) – This film is an intimate look at a disturbed and paranoid mind. When a young woman is left alone in an apartment for days, her crazy imagination acts up, a creepy stranger appears out of nowhere, there are crazy visuals, and hands come out of the wall to grab her. This is available on Criterion.

Road Games (1981) – Here is a chance to see poor Jamie Lee Curtis on a completely different trip. She is hitchhiking in Australia, befriends a truck driver with a dog, but has to watch out for a psychotic killer in a van targeting hitchhikers. I felt it lacked a necessary payoff, but it is still a unique, different and unexpected horror offering.

-Scarecrows (1988) – Bank thieves with hostages wind up on a farm populated by scarecrows. It has a simple enough premise and delivers some creepy and almost scary moments.

-Scream For Help (1986) – This is basically the “Death Wish” version of “The Stepfather.” It is directed by Michael Winner, responsible for those first three revenge films, so he knows the cruelty of men very well. It isn’t subtle in execution, but I find it to be altogether effective. It was also released a year before “The Stepfather,” believe it or not.

-Sisters (1976) – One of Brian De Palma’s earlier homages to Alfred Hitchcock and it’s a good one. Margot Kidder plays twin siblings, one that’s nice and another that’s anything but.

-Stuck (2008) – One poor guy has a really bad day. He loses his job, loses his apartment, and winds up stuck in a windshield when a women collides with him in a car accident. It’s night time, nobody notices, she drives straight home, and leaves the the poor guy in the garage while she figures out what to do. It is an unlikely and simple idea well executed, and actually based on a true story.

-Superstition (1982) – Following the success of the slasher films and haunted house films, came this cheesy hybrid that gets to be pretty fun and gory.

-The Surgeon (1994) – A brilliant but maniacal doctor returns to the hospital where he was exposed trying regeneration experiments. This is a different take on the hospital slasher films and stupid fun.

-Targets (1968) – One of the last movies Boris Karloff starred in and a good one. He essentially plays himself, an aging horror film star struggling with changing times. Meanwhile, a seemingly normal man calmly kills his family and goes on a “Grand Theft Auto”-style rampage. He even positions himself by a highway and fires at cars. Both subplots eventually meet up in a dramatic fashion. One of the best under-the-radar films I’ve seen in the last several years.

-Tormented (2011) – This is an Asian haunted house film featuring two young siblings, one of which is haunted by a figure dressed in a bunny costume – inspired from a 3D film he saw in a movie theater. Very weird and creepy.

-The Wizard of Gore (1970) – Herschell Gordon Lewis was the first filmmaker to make exploition films with gory execution in the 1960’s. He was a pioneer, but his films are not necessarily great. Neither is this. Like his other films, it contains wooden acting and a lack of smooth production values. However, this is his solid best effort and deserves to be mentioned. It has a great, if totally unbelievable, premise. At a magic show, a magician gets volunteers from the audience, kills them in horrible ways, and then uses mass hypnosis to the make the audience believe that they saw the volunteers recover from the tricks without injury and sit back down.

-Woodchipper Massacre (1989) – Created in the 1980’s was the shot-on-video market with movies lacking quality productions and looking a lot like home videos. Of the half dozen I’ve seen, most have stunk, and this is the only one that is above-average, watchable and legitimately entertaining. Three kids are left in the care of their horrible aunt and the oldest son has the use of a woodchipper machine to clean up the backyard. Let’s just say…things go wrong.

That is the list, the best and more unique horror films from the last decade of leftover video stores and horror conventions. Most of them are available on DVD. Some that weren’t officially available years ago might be by now. And the others that might still not be officially available can be found at – www.vhsps.com – These are people who rescue old VHS movies that were never officially released on DVD and do it themselves. But some of their movies have otherwise been released on official DVD. Here are are two ordering sites I’ve been using this year that might help you. One of them you should know – www.amazon.com – The other is – www.CDUniverse.com – Have fun!
Old 11-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Wow dude, thanks a ton my man. Saved this in my Evernote. I appreciate your help and time to put that together! I'm gonna taste some of these before next marathon. You got any recommendations for that?
Old 11-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Any of those ought to be worthwhile next Halloween. They're all horror. It's always more fun to watch one kind of horror, then another kind and so on. You're better off mixing it up instead of watching the same kind over and over again. You might as well start enjoying these movies sooner than next year. Your request gave me a creative project to work on again and it was fun.