Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Best/Worst/Favorites/Etc..
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which director do you prefer?
John Ford 7 70.00%
Howard Hawks 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2011, 08:50 PM
John Ford Vs. Howard Hawks

Going from the 1930's up through the 1950's, these 2 directors are considered the best who directed films. They've both contributed greatly to the Western genre and directed John Wayne in his best performances.

In this match-up, who comes out on top?
Old 10-22-2011, 09:50 PM
I went with Hawks. I'm a big fan of most of his stuff. But I'm not huge on westerns from those eras. And i'm not a big fan of the Duke either.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:29 PM

What a great question!

Well, I am a John Wayne fan and it's a really tough call. Rio Bravo/Red River VS The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance/The Seasrchers (among others)!!!!!!!

If you factor all the Duke films, John Ford clearly has the edge but overall body of work I give my vote to Howard Hawks. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Sergeant York, His Girl Friday, Only Angels Have Wings, etc.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Ford

Howard Hawks has more good films but none compare to the best of John Ford, with Stagecoach and The Searchers being my favourites of his films and the only two from their combined filmographies to likely get into my top 100.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Block View Post
Ford

Howard Hawks has more good films but none compare to the best of John Ford, with Stagecoach and The Searchers being my favourites of his films and the only two from their combined filmographies to likely get into my top 100.
1939 was a great year for John Ford. He had Stagecoach, Young Mr. Lincoln and Drums Along The Mohawk.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Block View Post
Ford

Howard Hawks has more good films but none compare to the best of John Ford
This. Hawks has a more consistently solid output and more good films to his name, but my favorites of his (His Girl Friday, Red River, Ball of Fire, The Big Sleep) can't compete with Ford at his best (The Grapes of Wrath, The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance).
Old 10-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Damn, this is a tough one. I think I'll give the edge to John Ford because I'm such a big fan of westerns and I think he did westerns better than Hawks (though not by much).
Old 10-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Damn, this is a tough one. I think I'll give the edge to John Ford because I'm such a big fan of westerns and I think he did westerns better than Hawks (though not by much).
You can certainly make a case for Rio Bravo being the greatest western. I think it's more fun than The Searchers and I love that movie too. I agree with Tarantino when he says it's a great hang-out movie. The cast is just great fun to watch together.

But since the Grapes Of Wrath is one of my all time favorites, I have to give Ford the edge also.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:28 PM
i voted for john ford
Old 10-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
You can certainly make a case for Rio Bravo being the greatest western. I think it's more fun than The Searchers and I love that movie too. I agree with Tarantino when he says it's a great hang-out movie. The cast is just great fun to watch together.
Like I said, not by much. Rio Bravo and Red River are two awesome westerns that I can watch any day (and El Dorado). But Ford has The Searchers, Stagecoach, Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, My Darling Clementine and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. And those are just the westerns; throw in The Grapes of Wrath and The Quiet Man and I'm good to go.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Ford by default. Haven't seen to many Hawks films, unfortunately. I've only seen His Girl Friday and Scarface.