Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2011, 01:05 AM
Why Does Jennifer Aniston still have a career?

This is a rant a few years in the making... I'm sure that somebody has made a rant about this before, but here goes: Why? Ever since "Friends" ended (and even during) Aniston has been trying and failing to break into making movies and many years later she is still trying. Time and time again bomb after bomb and she still prevails as a bankable Hollywood star. Why? Most actors/actresses, even some legendary one can't get away with 3 or more flops before being called washed up. (Sadly Robert De Niro, Samuel L. Jackson and Al Pacino are slowly fading)

Rupert Everett bluntly stated this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Everett
"OK, something will go wrong, like Jennifer Aniston will have one too many total flops, but she's still a member of that club. And she will still manage to ... like a star forming in the universe, things will swirl around her and it will suddenly solidify into another vital tasteless rom-com, a little glitter next to the Crab Nebula," he added.
And for some reason he gets attack for having sour grapes... For What!?! Her should be DEAD! There isn't a single movie in her filmography that shows either her talent or her viability as a box office draw. (Granted I like Office Space but not for her)

It appears to me that the entertainment media namely tabloid(which is probably the real target of my rant) for some reason are trying to keep her career afloat. Most recently the tabloids attack Brad Pitt for saying this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Pitt
"It became very clear to me that I was intent on trying to find a movie about an interesting life, but I wasn't living an interesting life myself," Pitt told Parade.

"I think that my marriage (to Aniston) had something to do with it. Trying to pretend the marriage was something that it wasn't,"
Such a non-issue blown completely out of proportion for what? Man do I hate tabloids. I think I ran out of steam.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:25 PM
I hate Anniston as much as I hate Julia Roberts and Anne Hathaway. I think all 3 are un-talented, over-rated fucking fugly cunts that need to just fuck OFF and die!

That's just me though.

Can't understand any of their appeal.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Julia Roberts was great in Charlie Wilson's War.

Anne Hathaway was great in Rachel Getting Married.

Jennifer Aniston was great in The Good Girl and Friends With Money, but she needs to do better movies. She doesn't need the money, so I know she can go and do smaller films with better roles.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:20 PM
ANiston is one of the hottest woman alive in my opinion. Plus if you don't like her movies, I have to ask if you have seen Horrible Bosses yet, because that is the farthest thing from an Aniston movie as you can get and it is a great performance.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Aniston and Sarah Jessica Parker, the two supposed queens of the rom-com, even though neither come across as romantic or comedic.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:35 PM
I love Jennifer Anniston. And can't stand Julia Roberts. But Anne Hathaway is ok by me.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:54 PM
I was just discussing this today when my mother brought up her latest flick with Adam Sandler. She has never demonstrated (to my knowledge) much range as an actress, nor has she ever been a stand-out performer par Friends. I don't honestly dislike Jennifer Aniston, but I can't say that she has ever wowed me. She will always be Rachel from Friends to me.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:26 PM
There are plenty of actors I feel this way about. So many actors play the same character movie after movie. Their mannerisms don't change, their appearance MAYBE slightly changes, their personality doesn't change, their facial expressions don't change.
The only thing that changes is the name of the character, and the costume. Sometimes the plot changes.

Jennifer Aniston is just one of those actresses that plays Jennifer Aniston in pretty much every movie.

Her range is limited, her abilities are limited. She's not very good. But how many popular actors/actresses today can you say do have a large range?
Old 09-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
She will always be Rachel from Friends to me.
You could say that about the other 5 actors from Friends also, although Lisa Kudrow has done pretty well picking out interesting films along with the bigger ones and has shown to be a good actress.

Back to Aniston, if the argument is that she doesn't deserve to be paid as high as she does because her films haven't been making money, which is only partly true, I can get behind that, but I still think she has delivered a few very good performances and can do it again.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
I was just discussing this today when my mother brought up her latest flick with Adam Sandler. She has never demonstrated (to my knowledge) much range as an actress, nor has she ever been a stand-out performer par Friends. I don't honestly dislike Jennifer Aniston, but I can't say that she has ever wowed me. She will always be Rachel from Friends to me.
I'm pretty much in agreement with you. I personally don't dislike her. (how could I, don't know her) Like I said in my rant, it is more of an indictment against the Tabloids and the entertainment media since that is what is keeping her career afloat. If anything I can't really abide her choices in films (save Office Space) or her seeming unwillingness to take risks as a actress such as playing against type.

But honestly she hasn't shown any range whatsoever at all and I'm confused as to why she is still around and more baffled as to why the tabloids what to keep her relevant.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
You could say that about the other 5 actors from Friends also, although Lisa Kudrow has done pretty well picking out interesting films along with the bigger ones and has shown to be a good actress.
Personally, the only one who has really had a good post-Friends career has been Courtney Cox with Scream 4 and the sitcom Cougar Town, which while not quite on the same level as Friends is still pretty damn good and very funny.

Although I've heard good things about Matt LeBlanc's new show on SHOWTIME, Episodes. Haven't seen it yet but I want to. Although I've heard that LeBlanc is essentially playing an exaggerated version of himself.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:40 PM
You know I've always heard great things about Aniston's work in The Good Girl. Still need to see that movie.

I've found her career to be fairly mixed. I've liked some of her movies and some of her movies have been crap. I do like her but wish she would get away from romcoms.

I feel the same way about Jennifer Lopez and Katharine Heigl. Lopez is great when she's not doing romcoms. And Heigl's career has just floundered recently, which is a shame because I think she's very talented as well. Although I actually think the trailer for her next movie where she's some amateur bounty hunter to actually look pretty good but it seems that I'm the only one who thinks that. It does look awfully similar to The Bounty Hunter which of course starred Aniston (and was an OKAY, middle of the road romcom) but it looks better IMO.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Leprechaun & Office Space were both great!

And she's smoking hot...So I like her
Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Quote:
You know I've always heard great things about Aniston's work in The Good Girl. Still need to see that movie.
She did good work there.

As for the thread q, I think it's a hard transition out of sitcom land. Aniston is one of the success stories. There are politics in hollywood, but I doubt even poliics can get in the way of the cold hard cash risks of making a movie. The larger problem here is that too many actresses aren't penetrating mainstream in ways that could be considered box office draws. What current actresses do you consider box office draws? Compare the amount of actresses who are box office draws to male counterparts in their same demographic or genre. It's really, really uneven. It's really skewed towards men. And with this skewed model Aniston is one of the more well known and 'bankable' hollywood actresses.

I don't mind her as an actress and I feel for her as a person after all the tabloid shit she had to deal with, so I'm welcoming. She's not untalented. She's almost like a female jason bateman. She's funny. She can play straight well. I wouldn't like watching her lol and trip all over the place in a romcom, but I wouldn't like jason bateman in a romcom either.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 PM
I'm sure if she could erase one movie from her resume it would be Leprechaun. What an embarrassment. It makes even her worst romcom look like a masterpiece by comparison.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post

I don't mind her as an actress and I feel for her as a person after all the tabloid shit she had to deal with, so I'm welcoming. She's not untalented. She's almost like a female jason bateman. She's funny. She can play straight well. I wouldn't like watching her lol and trip all over the place in a romcom, but I wouldn't like jason bateman in a romcom either.
Eh. Bateman has managed to choose mostly good movies though unlike Aniston except, of course for the movie he did with Aniston. What was it called again, The Switch? I think. I can't even remember the title.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
I hate Anniston as much as I hate Julia Roberts and Anne Hathaway. I think all 3 are un-talented, over-rated fucking fugly cunts that need to just fuck OFF and die!

That's just me though.

Well l have to say that l like all three actresses and they are very talented but l do think that all three go for simalar roles instead of taking a chance of trying something with a litle bit more grit to futher there careers

When you see there films you know at the end of the film in whatt will happen and that can be abit off putting
Old 09-28-2011, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I'm sure if she could erase one movie from her resume it would be Leprechaun. What an embarrassment. It makes even her worst romcom look like a masterpiece by comparison.
Blasphemy!
Old 09-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Personally, the only one who has really had a good post-Friends career has been Courtney Cox with Scream 4 and the sitcom Cougar Town, which while not quite on the same level as Friends is still pretty damn good and very funny.
Scream 4 is the only noteworthy film she has done post-Friends, so I don't think her film career is very successful at the moment. I think as far as having a respectable career in film, Lisa Kudrow wins this easily. She has done the most interesting movies, even if they aren't box office hits.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
Point well made, sir.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:29 AM
She still has a career because she's a bankable star. Here are the worldwide grosses for her last 10 major studio movies (yeah, I've got time on my hands):

Horrible Bosses: $206
Just Go With It: $214
The Switch: $49
The Bounty Hunter: $136
Love Happens: $36
He's Just Not That Into YOu: $179
Marley & Me: $243
The Break-Up: $205
Rumor Has It: $89
Derailed: $57

6 films with healthy profits, and 4 that either broke even or made a modest profit due to their low budgets.

Aniston movies don't cost much, so they're lower-risk. And they have a nice upside.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Never saw Love Happens but always wanted to. I saw so many people call it a romantic comedy but from the trailers it looked much more of a drama to me. It looked like a good story about a guy (Eckhart's character) still grieving over his wife's death but then meet's Jen's character. I like that.

It's kind of like when people complained about The Break-Up which I thought was a very good movie. I mean, I guess it's kind of the studio's fault since they were advertising the movie like it was a comedy, but I liked how dark and serious it got.
Spoiler:
And people were disappointed that Aniston and Vaughn don't get back together at the end but I liked that. It IS called The Break-Up after all.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Bland. Bland and more bland. Really, that covers a lot of hollywood "stars" at the moment.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Never saw Love Happens but always wanted to. I saw so many people call it a romantic comedy but from the trailers it looked much more of a drama to me. It looked like a good story about a guy (Eckhart's character) still grieving over his wife's death but then meet's Jen's character. I like that.

It's kind of like when people complained about The Break-Up which I thought was a very good movie. I mean, I guess it's kind of the studio's fault since they were advertising the movie like it was a comedy, but I liked how dark and serious it got.
Spoiler:
And people were disappointed that Aniston and Vaughn don't get back together at the end but I liked that. It IS called The Break-Up after all.
This upsets me a lot. People complain about how predictable those movies are, but when there is one that goes a different way than most, people bitch and moan about that also.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, I agree.

Spoiler:
The Break Up is one of those feel good, stupid predictable ending movies. Except it left out the feel good, stupid predictable ending. And I really enjoyed it after that.
I found the movie itself to be kind of boring, and not that funny or exciting. But I enjoyed the whole thing overall a lot more when the ending blew my expectations.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:59 PM
JA is a really hot chick next door type. She is 40 something and still looks perfect. She is not much of an actress and has little to no appeal. She can't draw on her own and she did get Brad to marry her. Angelina could not or just took years to get that done.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 PM
I don't love Aniston because, I feel that, for the most part, she pretty much just plays Rachel from Friends in every movie, but she was really good in Horrible Bosses and didn't play her usual role.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:48 AM
I'm not a big fan of Aniston either and i know the comparison to Rachel from Friends comes up alot when evaluating her acting chop. Movies like Picture Perfect , The Object of my Affection , She's The One , The Bounty Hunter and The Break-Up do gives that vibe (among others ) .

On the other hand , movies like Horrible Bosses and Derailed are as far from Rachel as can be.

Like Muddy Shores said , she's bankable so far. Hollywood doesn't give big contracts to non-bankable stars. Most of her movies are money-makers.

TBH , i think even Jennifer is aware that her star is fading so she's open to more "riské" role ( hence Horrible Bosses ) ..... she's supposed to show her rack in Wanderlust. ( not accounting for acting capacities , she does look good for a 41yo ).

Personally , i think she's not as stuck-up as it appear .... it's just her agent going for the "if it's not broken , don't fix it" mentality. She did voice a character in South Park after all.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:06 PM
I don't think Aniston is a bad actress, I just think that she is really boring. Out of all the people on Friends I really think she was the weak link and some times Rachel's jokes did not come naturally (a lot of them seemed forced) unlike the other characters on the show.

Last edited by Frosty_86; 10-08-2011 at 07:09 PM..
Old 10-09-2011, 01:06 AM
I love Rachel but I will say I grew tired of the will they or won't they of Ross and Rachel. Chandler and Monica were always my favorite couple of the show.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Although I've heard good things about Matt LeBlanc's new show on SHOWTIME, Episodes. Haven't seen it yet but I want to. Although I've heard that LeBlanc is essentially playing an exaggerated version of himself.
Episodes is pretty good! Matt does play an exaggerated version of himself (I hope it's exaggerated!). He does a good job though. Pretty funny.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post

That's just me though.

Oh, I beat myself to it.

I'd like to add Horsey-faced Sarah Jessica Parker to that list as well!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Jaw2929 did you get turned down by girls that look like these four? Sounding bitter there
Old 09-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Jaw2929 did you get turned down by girls that look like these four? Sounding bitter there
Nope.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Nope.
OK then. I think Roberts has some talents. Mostly they were when she was younger and all in her lips, but she did do some very entertaining movies.

Hathaway was a great cat woman and she is also entertaining. Some talent

I can't stand my little pony. Her talent is all other bitchy ass spoiled women like her.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:17 PM
I really liked Anne Hathaway in The Devil Wears Prada.

SJP - Honeymoon in Vegas I loved but that's about it. She was cute back then I think, at least in that movie. Maybe she grows on you by the end of the movie, I dunno. She's best suited to small screen overall though, IMO.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:47 PM
One of my least favorite actresses ever. She sucked ever since Friends which was a godawful show to begin with. She was the worst part of it imo. And I honestly will put off seeing a movie I may interested in because she's in it. Immature and irrational? Yes, but I can't stand her.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:01 PM
More to the point, why does Lindsay Loser Lohan still have a career?
Old 10-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 View Post
One of my least favorite actresses ever. She sucked ever since Friends which was a godawful show to begin with. She was the worst part of it imo. And I honestly will put off seeing a movie I may interested in because she's in it. Immature and irrational? Yes, but I can't stand her.
Agreed, mein Freund. Her best work was Leprechaun anyways.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:28 PM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 06:24 PM..