Old 10-02-2011, 08:07 PM
what Venom/Carnage comics do you recommand?

What are the best Venom and Carnage comics out there?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:20 AM
I wouldn't recommend any, really.

In all seriousness, Venom's first appearance in Amazing Spider-man #300 is still the character's strongest showing for me. Each appearance was a steady decline after that.

There's a great Venom tale where he and Spider-man are trapped on an island together. They could've ended his story there and I'd have been happy. It's in the Amazing Spider-man #340-ish range.

For my money, one of the best recent Venom stories was the Mac Gargan Venom in Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts. Give those Ellis T-Bolts trades a try (Faith In Monsters and Caged Angels)and thank me later.

A lot of people seem to like the new ongoing Venom series, and though I'm buying it, I'm not finding it anything great.

As for Carnage, just like Venom, I think his first appearance is still the best. There was a recent Carnage mini-series that I was buying but missed the ending of, with really creepy painted art by Clayton Crain. I would highly recommend that to Carnage fans.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:05 PM
All of the good stuff takes place between Amazing Spider Man 300-390ish.

His first appearance is #300 but it's mostly his back story and there's not much fighting going on. After that he appears sporadically for 2 or 3 issues a few times until it is believed that the symbiote dies and Brock is captured by the police.

From that point Carnage is introduced and the only appearances are Carnage's 3 issue first appearance, a 2 issue story where Venom kidnaps Spidey's parents and in the end makes a truce with Spiderman and leaves NewYork (though this is only a Venom story and not Carnage)and finally Maximum Carnage which crosses over the 4 titles (actually 5) which Venom comes back to NY to help Spidey take care of Carnage.

After that Venom got is own sort of monthly series. It was a whole bunch of limited sires that came out one after the other so it might as well been an ongoing monthly. These for the most part are just ok at best. Some of the stories are good but others are kind of lame. Closer to the end it got good with Eddie being a secret agent for the US government! This ends with the symbiote dieing.

Now whether the symbiote dieing in his own book happened after his last few appearances in the rebooted Amazing Spider Man title when he was part of the Sinister Six or whether the writer just didn't give enough of a shit to check the cannon i'm not sure. I'm sort of hazy on that era.

After that the next time Venom appears is in the reboot of the Spectacular Spider Man title in which they pretty much ignore 90% Venom's previous cannon. This is the point where Venom becomes something completely different then his original incarnation.

After that there was the short lived 'Tsunami' series which was actually really cool but ultimately never got to finish for whatever reason. This series starts off like the movie "The Thing" with an unknown threat on a arctic base. While it's still ignoring a lot of the previous Venom cannon its still a fun read.

Then after all that is when you start to get into the whole Mac Gargon Venom, Toxin and this new Anti Venom nonsense. The Mac Gargon stuff only makes sense when viewed in the reboot of Spectacular's cannon. Toxin makes no sense at all and i refuse to even educate myself on this Ant Venom crap.

As for Carnage he's always been a very minimal character in terms of appearance and there is very good reason for this. He's a psychotic killer. That's all he does so to have him appear a lot would mean too high a body count, lol. Other then his appearances in Amazing he's had minor stand alone stuff that's been pretty lame. There was a story where he somehow looses the symboite (which makes even less sense then Venom loosing it) and ends up getting some other symboite which just looks and acts exactly like the Carnage symbiote (which again makes no sense). After that the last i read was that Carnage got torn in half in space by Sentry during the prison break in New Avengers which sets up the whole Secret Invasion stuff.

I've heard that he's appeared again since so i dunno anymore, heh.

So for me either Carnage's first appearance (3 issues) and Maximum Carnage (about 15 issues, also a trade paperback) for the older stuff and Venom's 'Tsunami' (about 13 issues, not sure if they've been re-released at all)series for the later stuff.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:47 PM
I would also recommend checking out Marvel Knights: Spider-man "Down Among The Dead Men", which is just about to be reprinted. Written by Kick Ass scribe Mark Millar, it features the second and third wearers of the Venom suit and how they got it. It's also overall just a really great Spider-man story that I recommend to everyone.

For an offbeat Venom tale, there was Eddie Brock's issues during the Black In Black Spider-man crossover where Brock is in the same hospital as Aunt May (after she was shot by the Kingpin), and he's tormented by the symbiote to kill her. You could find that in the rather excellent "Peter Parker: Spider-man / Back In Black" collection.

I'm also not 100% sold on Anti-Venom, find it a rather stupid idea, and kinda wish Brock would just die already.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
I would also recommend checking out Marvel Knights: Spider-man "Down Among The Dead Men", which is just about to be reprinted. Written by Kick Ass scribe Mark Millar, it features the second and third wearers of the Venom suit and how they got it. It's also overall just a really great Spider-man story that I recommend to everyone.
Yeah the first 12 issues or so of that run were excellent. Loved Dodson's art and Millar is pretty much always a great read. That was the first real departure for Venom where the character became less then a shadow of it's self (which is all he was in his limited series for the most part) and i recall being really annoyed at it.

If one were to embrace the division and just enjoy the new Venom then the character is readable but for me Brock will always be Venom to me, my fav character ever since i became aware of Spider Man and Marvel comics. In many ways he's like Wolverine in that if he's got a good writer behind him he can shine but if not then he can easily become a joke.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Yeah the first 12 issues or so of that run were excellent. Loved Dodson's art and Millar is pretty much always a great read. That was the first real departure for Venom where the character became less then a shadow of it's self (which is all he was in his limited series for the most part) and i recall being really annoyed at it.
I liked Gargan as Venom because it felt fresh at the time. And Mac actually finally made good on all that mauling that Eddie promised but never did back in the day.

I could've done without the depiction of MacVenom "hulking out" the way they sometimes drew him, when the symbiote got out of control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
If one were to embrace the division and just enjoy the new Venom then the character is readable but for me Brock will always be Venom to me, my fav character ever since i became aware of Spider Man and Marvel comics. In many ways he's like Wolverine in that if he's got a good writer behind him he can shine but if not then he can easily become a joke.
Have you read Rick Remender's new "Venom" ongoing series? Just curious what you think of it as you seem like a fan of the character.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
I liked Gargan as Venom because it felt fresh at the time. And Mac actually finally made good on all that mauling that Eddie promised but never did back in the day.

I could've done without the depiction of MacVenom "hulking out" the way they sometimes drew him, when the symbiote got out of control.

Have you read Rick Remender's new "Venom" ongoing series? Just curious what you think of it as you seem like a fan of the character.
Nah the last thing Venom i read was the first issue of his sort of Origin story, can't recall if it had a specific name or not now. In it Eddie is pretty much just a creep ass hole which sort of annoyed me cause it doesn't seem like how he would have been based on his actual origin in ASM #300. It really seemed like they were trying the 616 Eddie as the Ultimate Eddie was and that made no sense.

I'll take a look for this new Venom ongoing though the next time i find myself in a comic shop. I pretty only buy trades these days so i don't find myself in the shops as much these days. One question, is this the book where, i think it's Flash that gets it, the symbiote is like a military ops guy or something? Or was that something else?
Old 11-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Yes, that's the one. Flash as Venom, special ops.

There was some good creepy stuff in the early issues with Venom going up against a new Jack O' Lantern. Then the series got caught up in the recent "Spider Island" crossover, but for crossover issues, they weren't that bad. I recommend picking up the first Venom trade paperback.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:36 PM
I'll keep an eye out for it, though it may be short lived if Marvel decides to do a full universe reboot similar to DC's.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't recommend any, sorry