Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 PM
This still holds my attention and entertains me than 98% of the shows currently on air but man, are they stretching on just about every storyline.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HyDe807 View Post
I feel that everything after the Q&A episode has not lived up to the standard of the 1st half of the season. It's still watchable, but it felt like the writers were at their most creative by the episode where
Spoiler:
Brody was taken in by Carrie

....then seemed to be overwhelmed on what to do next.
Every show is like this. When you build something up, about half the audience will love or hate it. People wanted to see the interrogation, and when it happened, people would either love or hate it. Then what happens next will determine whether people will continue watching. Lost is a great example of this. You build something up, and people either love or hate it.

Sunday's episode will be huge for the show because we need to know where the people behind the show plan to take it in the future.

Last edited by shoe1985; 12-13-2012 at 01:18 PM..
Old 12-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe1985 View Post
Everyone show is like this. When you build something up, about half the audience will love or hate it. People wanted to see the interrogation, and when it happened, people would either love or hate it. Then what happens next will determine whether people will continue watching. Lost is a great example of this. You build something up, and people either love or hate it.

Sunday's episode will be huge for the show because we need to know where the people behind the show plan to take it in the future.
I know every show is like this, but the fallout in other shows have kept my interest and enjoyment in the show. The following episodes in Homeland are watchable, but my enthusiasm isn't in it like it was in the beginning of the season.

If other people are really enjoying this, I have no qualms. I'm just speaking my piece and seeing if others agree, is all.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:17 PM
I dunno. If you order a fettucini alfredo and I give you a great big chocolate cake instead, I don't think it does it justice to say "well half the people will like the chocolate, half will hate it." I really enjoyed the show up until the last couple episodes (especially the interrogation) but I think the sudden 24ification of the show is an out-of-left-field shift which is concerning. As a result the reaction is, I think, largely justified.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I dunno. If you order a fettucini alfredo and I give you a great big chocolate cake instead, I don't think it does it justice to say "well half the people will like the chocolate, half will hate it." I really enjoyed the show up until the last couple episodes (especially the interrogation) but I think the sudden 24ification of the show is an out-of-left-field shift which is concerning. As a result the reaction is, I think, largely justified.
It should not be surprising to see anything similar to 24, most of the people doing this show worked on 24. It is a show dealing with the CIA, which is similar to CTU. There is a lot of Jack in Carrie, even Brody too. Everyone is suspecting Brody to be a terrorist, everyone thought the same of Jack too. Nobody believed Jack on anything, same with Carrie.

It should be obvious that once Brody was outed, that many people would not be happy with where the series goes. We spent about a season and a half wondering when he would be outed, and what would happen because of it. This is the big build-up, and it happened. Now comes the part of keeping the fanbase happy, which is never going to happen. Any show similar to this, has lost fans because the big issue was solved/outed, and people either like it, or they hate it and move on from the show.

Personally, it was a very good episode, when Brody was outed, but the following episodes did leave a lot to be desired. Killed Nazir, and in the USA, seemed like a letdown. I would have enjoyed another season or two of him. It just seemed too easy, and felt like the writers wanted to move on from that story. I will keep watching because it is a quality show.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:28 PM
I do wonder if Nazir had something in motion before he died that will be carried out in the next epsidode. But yeah up until the interrogation episode I would have said this season was better than season 1, but now not so, even still though, it is a good watch.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe1985 View Post
It should not be surprising to see anything similar to 24, most of the people doing this show worked on 24. It is a show dealing with the CIA, which is similar to CTU. There is a lot of Jack in Carrie, even Brody too. Everyone is suspecting Brody to be a terrorist, everyone thought the same of Jack too. Nobody believed Jack on anything, same with Carrie
Well obviously the reason people keep calling it the 24ification of the show is because everyone is well aware of what you took the time to point out. But the conclusions you draw, i.e. it shouldn't be surprising that this show is turning into 24, are unfounded. From the beginning this show initiated itself on the idea that it was going to be a smarter, grittier, more realistic, adult version of 24. This is why, for example, it is on Showtime and not Fox. So the sudden shift to the sorts of outlandish zany excesses of 24 is absolutely unfortunate and something people can reasonably be unhappy with. It has always been like 24, but that doesn't mean people want it to BE 24. Which is basically what the last two episodes have become.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Well obviously the reason people keep calling it the 24ification of the show is because everyone is well aware of what you took the time to point out. But the conclusions you draw, i.e. it shouldn't be surprising that this show is turning into 24, are unfounded. From the beginning this show initiated itself on the idea that it was going to be a smarter, grittier, more realistic, adult version of 24. This is why, for example, it is on Showtime and not Fox. So the sudden shift to the sorts of outlandish zany excesses of 24 is absolutely unfortunate and something people can reasonably be unhappy with. It has always been like 24, but that doesn't mean people want it to BE 24. Which is basically what the last two episodes have become.
When your show is similar to your other show, you will make the same mistakes you made on the other show. You will repeat things you did on the other show.

Personally, I am not thrilled with the direction the show has taken, but it is still quality television.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:47 AM
This show is nothing like 24. I mean, yeah, I suppose there are superficial similarities, but tonally it's a completely different beast.

As much as I love 24, even I can't deny that none of that show's middle eastern bad guys have the kind of complexity that they brought to the Nazir character. The scene between Carrie and Nazir when Nazir was holding her captive was such an intense, smartly written, fantastically acted moment.

Season 2 has been amazing IMO. There maybe some things you can nitpick about, but that's true of most movies and television shows. But those minor things notwithstanding, this is, IMO, by far, the best written and acted show on television. Nothing comes close. It's currently in a league of it's own. There are other shows that I love (Fringe, The Walking Dead, Justified) but even those shows aren't on the level of season 2. And I love the fact that I honestly can't tell how this season will end. Will they kill off Brody or will they spare him? I just can't tell. But for those who seriously doubt they'll kill him off, remember: this show comes from many of the same people who made 24, a show that had no problem with killing off major characters. Something they did on that show a LOT!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:14 AM
And Homeland now looses one of it's best characters.

Going to miss Estes. He was an ass but he brought great drama to the show and I thought was a strong, compelling character.

I suppose it could have been worse though. For a moment, I was afraid that something might happen to Saul.

It's kind of ironic too. If Quinn had actually gone through with killing Brody, the attack never would have happened.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Brody knew...no doubt about it , we never saw what Nazir told him when he was taken by him. It was all carefully planned , maybe getting caught and killed wasn't , but it happened.

Great fucking show.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Curious to see where they go with this show next season. Obviously, Saul has to interrogate Carrie. Does she reveal that Brody is alive? We have to assume he will popup on camera somewhere.

Good finale.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
It's kind of ironic too. If Quinn had actually gone through with killing Brody, the attack never would have happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
Brody knew...no doubt about it , we never saw what Nazir told him when he was taken by him.
Is this clear? My impression was that they're purposefully leaving ambiguity not just to try and make a compelling narrative but because they don't really know where they want to go with it. Like, when they go to write next season is when they've decided they'll figure out his culpability.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:48 PM
I thought the finale was superb. Fantastic, extended scenes with Carrie and Brody, and many surprises. I never knew where the episode was going. It's taken the show in yet another interesting, unpredictable direction.

I'm kind of pissed at the negative reviews the latter half of S2 has been getting. Seemingly every review online of the finale just moans about how the show got so implausible and focused too much of the Carrie/Brody relationship. Apparently the latter thread became "boring" and they lost their intense chemistry, according to some reviewers? Umm...was I watching the same show as these people? Their interactions are never less than engaging. And while the show did stretch credibility at some points (hated Abu Nazir becoming a slasher movie villain in the tunnels last week), it's never been entirely realistic to begin with, and the plot has to naturally progress and get bigger and more extreme. A lot of these complaints seem very petty.

Season 2: Best to Worst...

1. "The Choice" (2.12)/"Q&A" (2.05) - I can't decide between these two. I think "Q&A" might have a slight edge over the finale, but I need to watch both episodes again to be sure which is my favourite.
2. "Beirut Is Back" (2.02) - The single most intense episode of the series to date IMO. I've never been so on the edge of my seat watching a show.
3. "State of Independence" (2.03)
4. "The Smile" (2.01)
5. "Broken Hearts" (2.10)
6. "New Car Smell" (2.04)
7. "The Clearing" (2.07)
8. "I'll Fly Away" (2.08)
9. "In Memoriam" (2.11)
10. "Two Hats" (2.09)
11. "A Gettysburgh Address" (2.06)
Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM
It was a great season finale.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Yep, season finale fucking owned!

Started off pretty slow but as soon as Quinn was in Estes' appartment shit's started to hit the fan. Quinn's a boss.

Also, really devastating at the end when they parted. I was never a Brody fan to begin with, but I really, really felt for him when that video got leaked to the media. Fuck Nazir. I don't think Brody knew about the attack at all.

Also, great way to end it with Saul's smiling content face.

Definitely one of the best shows on TV right now.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
And Homeland now looses one of it's best characters.

Going to miss Estes. He was an ass but he brought great drama to the show and I thought was a strong, compelling character.
I'm gutted about Estes' death. The character was a complete prick of course, but I agree about him bringing great drama to the show. David Harewood does a phenomenal job as the character too.

I guess the bombing had to have some serious casualties...and now that Saul is in charge, things are going to be run very differently..
Old 12-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Great, powerful finale.

But honestly, the season as a whole... meh.

Maybe my standards are unreasonably high, but I've been disappointed with this, Boardwalk Season 3, Breaking Bad Season 5, and even Game of Thrones Season 2. Did I get spoiled?
Old 12-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Solid finale. Patinkin fucking brought it this episode. I'm in it for the third season for him alone.