Old 10-05-2011, 11:26 PM
American Horror Story

Just watched the pilot which stars Connie Britton, Dylan McDermott, Jessica Lange and Taissa Farmiga as a family of three who move into a strange house where multiple murders have taken place.

It was decent but the daughter (Taissa Farmiga) seriously reminds me of my high school girlfriend. There were some interesting twists throughout the show but
I don't know if I'll tune in again next week. Just a little too much cheese on the burger, imo.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:17 AM
I'm mixed. I'll tune in next week because I love horror and hopefully this won't get old for me quickly the way True Blood did. The cast is pretty good and there were a few creepy moments, which is good enough for me.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:45 AM
Anyone else get a Twin Peaks vibe from this? I enjoyed the pilot, there were some creepy/bizarre parts, and the cast seems to be fine. I'll tune in to the next episode to see how the story progresses.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFreak1827 View Post
Anyone else get a Twin Peaks vibe from this? I enjoyed the pilot, there were some creepy/bizarre parts, and the cast seems to be fine. I'll tune in to the next episode to see how the story progresses.
I did and also Nip/Tuck as well. The only problem with Ryan Murphy is he can start up a great storyline but turn them into a downward spiral from there.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:42 PM
That pilot was wild, liked it.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:05 PM
I dug the hell out of it. A really whacky and seemingly twisted show. Curious to see where it goes.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Really fucked up beginning, this will hold me for the next few episodes
Old 10-13-2011, 01:32 PM
So far I am enjoying this show quite a bit, and look forward to next week's episode. Jessica Lange has been awesome as Constance and I am digging the creepy, mysterious vibe from the house and the people associated with it.

Also they have a website dedicated to the show that is a pretty cool interactive look at the house throughout the decades, full with crime scenes, clues, and pictures of the victims that have occupied the house at youregoingtodieinthere.com
Old 10-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Well the second episode has me even more invested in this crazy story and I liked it over the pilot (just a tad bit). Jessica Lange is such a great character--I love the mystery behind her and anticipate a big reveal. This was overall pretty suspenseful and I like the pattern of the episodes' start, with a past murder being revealed followed by a similar "re-enactment" of said murder.

Looking forward to the next few eps.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:03 PM
The show is twisted but honestly, I'm not digging the music score on how they're using the Psycho theme and etc. That's kind of pissing me off.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gunslinger View Post
The show is twisted but honestly, I'm not digging the music score on how they're using the Psycho theme and etc. That's kind of pissing me off.
One of the aspects of this show is homages, particularly to horror films, and that include past horror scores. I'll admit I was a bit surprised when I heard the Psycho theme but it was merely a nod, especially given that the year this murder took place was 1968 (the same year Psycho came out).

You'll also notice a striking resemblance of the three home invaders to the three home invaders from The Strangers
Old 10-14-2011, 12:56 PM
BATSHIT CRAZY GUILTY PLEASURE! I LOVE IT!
Old 10-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Well this was a pretty revealing episode but it also brought up a lot more questions. Moira is a somewhat sympathetic character now, not that she's entirely innocent though, and we're beginning to understand why these ghosts are here. I thought it was a very good episode and hope to learn more about these characters as well as the house's history.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:12 PM
My girlfriend makes me watch this with her, I have to admit I like the show, it just really annoys the hell out of me though. Everything it shows you and you think you know, it double backs in the next episode and slaps you with something completely different. I'm glad they touched on why they can't leave the house in the new ep, because last episode I literally turned to my gf and said "If they aren't selling that place by the next episode, the writers need to be fired."

What's bugging me is, everyone that has died in that house, they have showed the death marks all over them with blood stains, so why are we not seeing the maid with her eye blown out? How did Jessica Lange's character die, assuming that she IS dead, why can't we see her wounds?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFreak1827 View Post
I'll admit I was a bit surprised when I heard the Psycho theme but it was merely a nod, especially given that the year this murder took place was 1968 (the same year Psycho came out).
Psycho came out in 1960.

Loving this show so far.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:31 PM
I've only watched the pilot but this show is sooo fucking ridiculous.

I didn't think it was the least bit scary - it barely had time to breathe let alone build any tension, but I can't say I was bored.

If anything, I thought it was kind of funny in parts. It felt to me like FX's answer to True Blood in its lurid trashiness.

I'll probably continue watching at least for a few more episodes and see where it goes.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:37 PM
I'll just quote something Mark Harris wrote (about the Oscars) and apply it to this show:

"They’ve been throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks, and all it’s gotten them is a shit-covered wall."
Old 10-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Shores View Post
Psycho came out in 1960.

Loving this show so far.
Whoops my bad
Old 10-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Anyone see the latest ep? I thought it was another good one and it was interesting to see Mr. Quinto showing his true colors A huge WTF was
Spoiler:
Adeile getting hit by the car. I wonder if that's it for her
Seeing the Rubber Man again was fairly creepy and strange; we still don't know his story.

Looking forward to Part 2!
Old 10-29-2011, 08:01 PM
I've only seen the first two episodes, watching them On Demand, and while the show has me intrigued, it also has me wondering with everything that's been thrown out in the open so far, how soon will it be before it starts to become a parody of itself, just like Nip/Tuck did. As The Gunslinger
wrote, Ryan Murphy can create great story lines but they often go nowhere, except downward. You can't fault the cast though, who so far have been excellent.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 AM
It's not already a parody of itself? This show is hilarious.

Finished ep 3, heard ep 4 was a part 1 so I'll wait to watch that and ep 5 together.

My opinion hasn't really changed since the pilot. This show doesn't understand the concept of building tension/suspense, it simply starts at the high end and jumps around to the next "high". Which makes the whole thing just a series of ridiculous scenes.

At this point, I have to say this show is pretty awful and not the least bit scary...BUT still oddly watchable. The scripting needs better focus and patience to play things out, and the editing needs to leave some breathing time but it's a well-made production on all other levels. I'd still take its weird, nonsensical ludicrousness over a boring network show. It works great as camp comedy .

I will continue watching.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:10 AM
so far AHS is my favorite NEW show this fall ... only 4 episodes out but the creep factor is thru the roof. My favorite part is the way they see the maid ... he sees a 26ish yo ultra-naughty maid , she sees a 60+ old hag. WHAAA!!!
Old 11-20-2011, 02:40 PM
I haven't been keeping up on this show as much as I'd like to and have the next to last one downloaded to watch, hopefully today. I too got a strong "Twin Peaks" vibe from all of the previews but I think it's a far more interesting show without "TP"'s strangeness. Answers come more each week with an occasional question thrown in for good measure. Sadly, I don't see it has a long life with it's current premise unless there will be a new family every season with some of the current family "staying on", so to speak.

Milk (OK, beer) almost squirted out of my nose when Quinto appeared and as a gay character (and flaming to boot!).
Old 11-21-2011, 09:13 PM
The Room - now available on T.V.!
Old 12-04-2011, 11:55 PM
did you see the the last episode where the black dahlia was introduced? I'm trying to track down the noir song I think it might be from an old movie. Anyone?
Old 12-08-2011, 01:33 PM
So...
Spoiler:
Violet is dead!!!!
This will certainly change things. Next week's episode looks epic.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:51 AM
Anybody else watch the season finale? I thought it was a fantastic end to a really good season.

I was surprised that they

Spoiler:
killed off the whole family. Ben's death was to be expected by this episode, but his death scene was still pretty shocking.

Can't wait to see where the writers take this next season.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Does anyone still watch this show? I absolutely love it and am looking forward to the Season 2 final this Wednesday.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 AM
I just finished watching the first season on Amazon Instant.. I really enjoyed it. The show never really creeped me out, but it was really fucked up and enjoyable. The only Ryan Murphy show I have enjoyed thus far (The premiere of Glee was good, the rest of that show was absolutely terrible). I look forward to watching Asylum... can anyone that watched Season 2 tell me: Is it a COMPLETELY different storyline.. or are there ANY lifelines from season 1 in season 2??
Old 01-20-2013, 11:47 AM
It's a completely different storyline. A good chunk of season 1's cast are playing different characters in season 2. New location, new story, new timeline (it's in the 60s) and there may be a few winks or nudges at season 1 but they're very subtle/minor.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 PM
As someguy said, Season 2 consists of a lot of the same characters from the first season but they each play completely different roles. Also, Season 2 is a lot more complicated and all over the place with its themes. I suppose it being set within an insane asylum that it makes sense to have a large cultivation of monsters and various horror themes. I think it's better than the first season, but some of the episodes have definitely been lacking.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 AM
A S Y L U M

I've been hearing major buzz about the finale's plot twists which leaves one sole survivor among the remaining cast left standing! The best episode played out two weeks ago during the Hitchcockian showdown between Lana & Dr. Thredson! AHS-ASYLUM offically peaked during that phenomenal hour, the best of any television series this season so far! I don't have high hopes for the finale, and I'm hoping to be proved wrong!
Old 01-21-2013, 07:28 PM
The first season reminded me of Lost but in a haunted house: a mythology that doesn't make sense, strange stuff that's happening none of the characters mention to each other, each episode adds more characters that ultimately don't matter to the overall story and the house is as big as an island since everybody can walk around in it without the actual residents noticing.

There are so many people killed that it gets ridiculous. Just like how everybody, dead or alive, wants to have the baby. And that kinda falls flat in the end too. The show ends one episode too early and has one big epilogue as the season finale. I'm surprised the show got as much praise as it got.

The best part about season one is Alexandra Breckenridge. She's hot.

While writing this I'm not sure if I find season two better or worse. I thought better, but summarizing everything here makes me doubt. The pilot introduces aliens, a serial killer and strange creatures, but that's not enough so it adds a demonic possession into the mix the second episode. There is so much going on yet a lot of time is wasted on Jessica Lang so most story lines are not engaging.

Like season one the climax comes too early. The demonic possession story ended in episode 10 of 13 and the Bloody Face story ended in episode 11. So what's left for the last two episodes? More Jessica Lang but I really don't care what happens with her.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 AM
I thought I Am Anne Frank Part II was the best episode of the season, but you're right Herald, a lot of the story lines ended so abruptly and anticlimactically that it's frustrating because the only thing left in the air is Bloody Face Jr. and aliens.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Well that finale sucked
Old 01-27-2013, 11:16 PM
I think I liked Season 2 more than 1, but I can't decide. Please keep Jessica Lange on this series! She's very good in any character she plays.

The finale was surprisingly emotional, especially Sister Jude's ending. I can't even fathom what's in store for next season.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:26 PM
It's back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWer7A7d-NE
Old 08-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Yeah.. This show is lousy.

Spoiler:
The reveal of Tate as The Rubber Man was where this show really lost me. That was so idiotic, especially when Tate becomes a whiny little shit. Goddamn Ryan Murphy, you suck sometimes.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
Yeah.. This show is lousy.

Spoiler:
The reveal of Tate as The Rubber Man was where this show really lost me. That was so idiotic, especially when Tate becomes a whiny little shit. Goddamn Ryan Murphy, you suck sometimes.
You do know there was a reason he was a the Rubber Man. He was a clear psychopath who grew fond of Violent and had his heartbroken.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:50 PM
That new teaser is creepy as hell! I wasn't big on the first series but Asylum was brilliant, I have high hopes for this being the best one yet.