Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Idiot Woman Sues Distributor of 'Drive' Because It Wasn't 'Fast Five'

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...nt_fast_five/#
Quote:
Idiot Woman Sues Distributor of 'Drive' Because It Wasn't 'Fast Five'

by

Oliver Lyttelton

We’ve all had that feeling where we walk out of a movie and realize that we’ve been sold something quite different from the finished product. It’s particularly prevalent with more “difficult”’ projects; distributors will play up the sexier, genre-led elements in order to bring in the crowds. It’s a fact of advertising, and one that most people are accepting of—we’ve certainly never been left particularly angry by a trailer that feints one way, and a movie that goes another. In a world where so few surprises are left, it can actually be kind of exciting. But not for Sarah Deming.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Deming, a spectacularly thick Michigan woman, has launched a lawsuit against FilmDistrict, the distributor of “Drive,” claiming that the trailers sold a “Fast and the Furious”-style actioner, when the film is anything but. The lawsuit states that the company “promoted the film “Drive” as very similar to the “Fast and Furious”, or similar, series of movies. “Drive” bore very little similarity to a chase, or race action film… having very little driving in the motion picture.”

Furthermore, Deming, who has the time to file frivolous lawsuits, but apparently not to Google a review of the movie she’s about to go see, also claims that the film is anti-semitic, an attempt to rile up the audience into committing violence against Jews, saying “Drive was a motion picture that substantially contained extreme gratuitous defamatory dehumanizing racism directed against members of the Jewish faith, and thereby promoted criminal violence against members of the Jewish faith.” Deming, who, despite appearances, is a real person, and not a character on “The Simpsons,” hopes to have her ticket refunded, as well as bringing an end to misleading Hollywood advertising, and hopes other quote-unquote victims will join her in a class-action lawsuit.

We’ll deal with Deming’s second complaint, about the anti-semitism, below, but for the moment, let’s do a quick compare and contrast. The trailers for “Fast Five,” the summer hit in the “Fast & The Furious” series, and the clip FilmDistrict cut for “Drive,” are below.

Hopefully, you, unlike Deming, are able to spot the differences here. Not a lot of opera in that “Fast Five” trailer, is there? The curious thing is that the five-star moron has picked a pretty bad example to launch her crusade; FilmDistrict actually do a very good, honest job in representing “Drive,” with about the same proportion of car chase to other stuff as the finished film. Maybe there’s someone that Deming can sue for giving her shitty taste, but it doesn’t really seem to be anyone else’s fault.

And as for the anti-semitism? The word ‘kike’ alone doesn’t make Nicolas Winding Refn the next Leni Reifenstahl. There’s one character stated as being Jewish, Ron Perlman‘s villain (it’s possible that Albert Brooks’ character is as well), who uses the racial slur once, in the context of complaining of his anti-semitic treatment at the hands of the east coast mob. It’s certainly not condoned, and *spoiler* when Perlman meets his end at the hands of Ryan Gosling‘s protagonist, it’s not because he’s Jewish, it’s because he’s the bad guy. We can’t actually believe we have to explain this.

All in all, Deming, who has somehow managed to go through life without sticking her wet fingers into a plug socket or opening the emergency exit on a moving airplane, doesn’t appear to have a chance, and it’s unlikely that the case will ever reach trial, but we hope FilmDistrict manage to wring every penny of their costs out of her. In the meantime, might we suggest that Deming lower her blood pressure by checking out Pixar‘s latest charming family tale, “The Human Centipede?”
Hahahahaha. I clicked on the article expecting it to be a parody of the ludicrous outcry by mainstream audiences about Drive, but the fact that it's actually true is a sad reflection of what movie going has become to some people.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Fuckin retarded....I hate some Americans.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Reading this made me laugh. How stupid can people actually be???
Old 10-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Does this mean that there is actually a Lawyer that took this case though??

I mean, ya this woman is an absolute idiot and deserves to be in a padded cell with her arms restrained so she can't hurt herself

But... is there actually a lawyer out there who heard this case and said "Sure, i'll take it"?!

If so, I want that lawyer to be disbarred and humiliated.

And i think Film District should counter sue this woman for every single penny they have to pay on defense in this case. I don't care if this woman lives in a trailer and can barely afford food for her dumbass, being that level of dumbass means you should have to pay and pay dearly for every ounce of monetary hardship you cause anyone, including a multi million dollar film company.

God damn, people are fucking stupid!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Stupidity doesn't lead to this. She's just mad as hell at god knows what, and she can't take it anymore. It leans over into psychopathic.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:04 PM
I had to pay to see FREE Willy.

Muthafuckas...
Old 10-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Old 10-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Old 10-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
How stupid can people actually be???
Humanity as a whole knows no bounds as far as that is concerned.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Dumb-cunts like this twat are all over the fucking place. As previously mentioned, it's the LAWYER who agrees to take this case, with a snow balls chance in hell of actually winning, who's even dumber then the bitch filing the lawsuit. THAT is someone that needs to get the fuck out the business of legal counsel immediately!

Last edited by jaw2929; 10-09-2011 at 10:07 PM..
Old 10-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Humanity as a whole knows no bounds as far as that is concerned.
Word.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:08 PM
This wacko woman needs to do her fucking research before going into a movie.

Drive has some great actors in it. It's also got a respectable director behind it. The movie also had Oscar buzz before it even opened. That would make me think that this isn't some standard action movie.

Fast Five is part of a franchise that should have died already. The trailer gives you pretty much what you're going to get with the movie. If you like that kind of thing, that's fine. But like the article said, the differences are easy to spot in the trailers.

I could never imagine somebody suing the makers of Fast Five because it wasn't Drive. Fast Five came out first, but you know what I'm getting at.

Last edited by Matchbox225; 10-09-2011 at 09:11 PM..
Old 10-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Have you heard of some of her soon to be coming law suits?

PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN franchise: Not piratey enough, lacking in yo ho ho: $5 million in loss of har har.

CONAN (the new one): Conan O'Brian was NOWHERE in the movie: false advertising: $3.9 million

THE THREE MUSKETEERS: The concession stand only had Kit Kat and Milky Way: failure to satisfy (citing precedent of AMC Theaters v.s. Snickers 1997): $4 million

FOOTLOOSE: the trailer exhibited for the upcoming movie displayed feet HOWEVER they were far from as loose as she saw in the original film. Not living up to expectations of a whackadoo: $8 million.

What's sad is that anyone can file a lawsuit behind anything they deem as "incorrect" and some judge has to put the actual important cases to the side to look at these cases and say
"...what is wrong with you?"
Old 10-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Yep, Michigan.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:01 PM
I think that this would be a very logical reason for her to be upset...had the film been titled Fast 5ive or something. Even so, not enjoying the film you are paying to see is just part of the risk taken at the movie theater experience. You're paying for the opportunity to watch the film, not for your full enjoyment of it.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE=DaveyJoeG;3460966]Yep, Michigan.[/QUOTE

Godamnit...as much as i hate to admit it, Davey is right.

This woman is the epitome of a cunt looking to make a fast dollar,she has no case and any lawyer should smack her in the face for bringing them a case like this.

I was born and raised north of Detroit, as much as i love that state,there are truly some moronic retards that call Michigan home.

I didn't think id have to put up with idiots anymore having moved just outside of Nashville.

i was wrong
Old 10-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Hmm. Stupidity has reached an all-time new high. And that's really saying something.

Last edited by God of War; 10-10-2011 at 09:29 PM..
Old 10-11-2011, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=PBateman;3461222]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Yep, Michigan.[/QUOTE

This woman is the epitome of a cunt looking to make a fast dollar,she has no case and any lawyer should smack her in the face for bringing them a case like this.

I was born and raised north of Detroit, as much as i love that state,there are truly some moronic retards that call Michigan home.

I didn't think id have to put up with idiots anymore having moved just outside of Nashville.

i was wrong

They're everywhere. Being from MI, I'm not bothered by it. Just one example (as I'm sure there are plenty of dumb-cunt moron's in MI and ALL around the fucking planet). I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:49 PM
I think I am going to sue her. I will figure out why later on.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:56 PM
This is super serious problem guys…

..like i thought Meloncholia was gonna be awesome like Armageddon….

Spoiler:
Old 10-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBateman View Post
A headline like that could only come out of Michigan or Florida.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:13 PM

"Appalling! This lady is a victim and you guys are laughing at her misery."
Old 10-11-2011, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE=DaveyJoeG;3461428]A headline like that could only come out of Michigan or Florida.[/QUOT

I know thats why i hated to admit it, this is like the 5th or 6th story out of michigan this year that was just retarded....they should focus on the Lions for all their news this year
Old 10-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Albert Brooks on Twitter: Re DRIVE lawsuit: I'm suing Ben-Hur because I thought it was about transsexuals.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:29 AM
We live in an information age. The internet is everywhere. This is unspeakably dumb.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:16 AM
Is it any wonder this country is going to shit?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Stupid Drive Lawsuit

I am the attorney behind that "stupid" Drive lawsuit. I believe it is a very important lawsuit for a lot of reasons.

First, some facts.

The screenwriter had this to say about the film:
http://www.thenational.ae/arts-cultu...od?pageCount=0

"They are opening in America, terrifyingly wide," he says. "A big, wide audience is going to think they are going to see a mainstream picture. It's great in some ways, but I think there is inevitably going to be a backlash, as it is still very indie.

"The first 45 minutes, which I love ... if you are going to see Drive thinking it will be like The Fast and the Furious, you are in for a disappointment."

The director had this to say about the Plaintiff (Go to the 27 minute mark):

http://moviecitynews.com/2011/12/dp3...-winding-refn/

The movie is probably the most anti-Semitic film ever made. The two Jews (Rose is Jewish, go to the Drive website and read the char bios), either alone, or combined, embody every single Nazi stereotype. Name one that is not in the movie ?

It even includes subliminal Jew hating which probably all of you missed. The book was almost the opposite.

The problem with what I see on this board, is that most of the posters do not know how to watch a film. You guys don't really see the real film.

The legal issues are simple. Misleading advertising can be outlawed by the States. Subliminal content, or works that contain subliminal content get no First Amendment protection.

Nobody expects to see a hate film, when going to any movie, because there are none, except Drive.

Sorry, but the Plaintiff had a much deeper understanding of Drive, and Fast Five, than any of the posters I have seen on here. Fast Five is not a racist film because you make the team only if you are good enough.

So back to the challenge: Name a Nazi Jew hating stereotype NOT in Drive. I dare ya.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHLeaf View Post
I am the attorney behind that "stupid" Drive lawsuit. I believe it is a very important lawsuit for a lot of reasons.

First, some facts.

"They are opening in America, terrifyingly wide," he says. "A big, wide audience is going to think they are going to see a mainstream picture. It's great in some ways, but I think there is inevitably going to be a backlash, as it is still very indie.

"The first 45 minutes, which I love ... if you are going to see Drive thinking it will be like The Fast and the Furious, you are in for a disappointment."

The movie is probably the most anti-Semitic film ever made. The two Jews (Rose is Jewish, go to the Drive website and read the char bios), either alone, or combined, embody every single Nazi stereotype. Name one that is not in the movie ?

It even includes subliminal Jew hating which probably all of you missed. The book was almost the opposite.

The problem with what I see on this board, is that most of the posters do not know how to watch a film. You guys don't really see the real film.

The legal issues are simple. Misleading advertising can be outlawed by the States. Subliminal content, or works that contain subliminal content get no First Amendment protection.

Nobody expects to see a hate film, when going to any movie, because there are none, except Drive.

Sorry, but the Plaintiff had a much deeper understanding of Drive, and Fast Five, than any of the posters I have seen on here. Fast Five is not a racist film because you make the team only if you are good enough.

So back to the challenge: Name a Nazi Jew hating stereotype NOT in Drive. I dare ya.
What in the godless trolling fuck is this?

So let's recap.

-Lady decides to blindly buy a movie ticket without really doing any sort of research whatsoever.
-She clearly sees the movie has an R rating, which means it'll be at least some what harder than "fast five", and she thinks she can handle it.
-She sues the filmmakers for her own idiotic reasoning and stamps it with an anti semitic reasoning.
-And now everyone who watched and enjoyed the film is supposed to say "Oh, poor woman. Fuck Ryan Gosling. Fuck Nicolas Widning Refn"?

Makes sense. Nope.

Name 1 jewish hating stereotype in the movie?

Because the main gangsters are Jewish, that makes it anti-semetic?
Very rarely do you see Jewish gangsters in film. I can name maybe 5-10 movies with Jewish gangsters. Nearly every other race/ethnicity etc has film catalogues devoted to their criminal lifestyles.
Give me a break.

Went to the 27 minute mark,

Refn says that it's weird that he's being accused of Anti-Semitism because he's Jewish. He goes onto say that your nazi conspiracy theory subtext is much more clever than any subtext he worked into the film. He then goes on to say how he finds this womans viewpoint interesting and would like to meet her and discuss the film with her. What was the subtext in the interview that I missed?

Last edited by MikeMovie; 01-28-2012 at 06:22 PM..
Old 01-28-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:

First, some facts.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:29 AM
Quote:

First, some facts.

BEST. POST. OF. THE. YEAR!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:16 PM
I asked you to name one Nazi anti-Semitic stereotype NOT in the movie. I guess you cannot.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:24 PM
LOL, good luck with the lawsuit. Will you please stick around on the forums so you can enlighten us on how to properly understand cinema?
Old 01-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Quote:
The two Jews (Rose is Jewish, go to the Drive website and read the char bios), either alone, or combined, embody every single Nazi stereotype. Name one that is not in the movie?
You are so right. I mean, Bernie Rose is the embodiment of every Nazi Jewish stereotype I can think of. I mean, read any of Hitler's writings; he considered all Jews to be wrist-slitting gangsters who own crappy Chinese restaurants. The nerve of Refn and his Jew-hating cohorts! It all makes so much sense: can you think of a movie where Ryan Gosling has fallen in love with a Jewish woman? Of course not! He hates them all! Someone needs to go on that Gosling website with a picture of him looking at Amanda Bynes and saying, "Hey girl, I hate you because you're Jewish." THAT would be accurate!

Also, could you PM me? I'd like to hire you and sue the producers of Shame for not showing Michael F. Assbender's schlong enough and promoting the stereotype that all British girls are married to sex-addicted freakazoids.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:55 PM
This could be a great opportunity for us schmoes. It's nice to have access to a professional attorney who has the integrity to discuss the details of an ongoing case with strangers on the internet.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Never mind.. I get it now. This is just a fan of Drive posing as the lawyer to spoil the idiotic case. Smart.
But I just exposed him, so now his plan is foiled. oops.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
This could be a great opportunity for us schmoes. It's nice to have access to a professional attorney who has the integrity to discuss the details of an ongoing case with strangers on the internet.
Especially one with such valid points and immense understanding of the film. I feel like returning, no...destroying the copy I just picked up on BluRay, as I feel so foolish that i could have completely missed all of the Anti semitism the 3 other times I watched.

Yes, the marketing was handled poorly. Fine. Even so, if you can't piece together and factor in things like how the obvious 'R' rating immediately means it will at least be much more adult than the Fast and Furious flicks, then I cant feel sorry for ya. I agree the studios need to cut the recent string of shit with the misleading cutting of trailers (Inglorious Basterds, The Grey, Paranormal Activity 3 all come to mind) but would I seek legal action? Um, not a chance.

Sorry, no disrespect to your profession I'm sure you are great at suing people with little to no valid reasoning but give me a fucking break. When you became a lawyer did you really intend on taking on ridiculous cases like this? I cant be sure but I am willing to bet you didnt. To be blunt I believe you are only succeeding in contributing to the downfall of American society, by pandering to one womans temper tantrum you open the floodgates to seemingly anyone who can think of a few reasons not to like a film, tv show, or even song...20 years ago even you would have laughed at the idea, "Cutthroat Island was garbage, someone get me my lawyer I am going to make sure I never have to see a movie I don't like again!" Bullshit. It's called opinion, entertainment is completely objective and last time I checked opinions provide an invalid basis for a lawsuit. Just my two cents.

Last edited by marilynMONROBOT; 01-31-2012 at 05:30 PM..
Old 02-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
Never mind.. I get it now. This is just a fan of Drive posing as the lawyer to spoil the idiotic case. Smart.
But I just exposed him, so now his plan is foiled. oops.
And he would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
And he would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids.
Time to see who this creature really is.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:09 AM
Mr. Leaf's grammatical prowess is exactly how I imagined it would be.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Drive's Jew Hatred

Here is the Nazi message Drive has promoted- unprecedently:

Jews hide their identity - well that's Nini/Izzy pretending to be italian

Jews use their cleverness to swindle Gentiles - Thats Rose getting 70% of the Business when he only invested 70% of what Shannon needed

Jews control the flesh industry - "Somebody call Nino"

Jews are money hungry - that would be the whole movie

Jews are a threat to the Aryan widow and child - "I didn't know everything led to Nino"

Jews control everything behind the scenes

Jews die like cowards - Nino crawling away

And many more false Nazi stereotypes

None of the above were in the book Drive, which is philo-Semitic

When the director said he put in the subtext "maybe unconsciously" that is an admission

There is a ton more of Jew hatred in the movie

There is a ton of subliminal stuff that flew past almost all of you.

Face it, the Plaintiff is just good at understanding movies.

For subliminal, which is too hard for the average moviegoer to spot, go to this story:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/entert...v/-/index.html

It takes a special brain to spot the Nazi Jew hating subliminal.