Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Final River Phoenix film to be released after 18 years

Quote:
The film River Phoenix was working on when he died is to be finished and released, 18 years after his death, the director has announced.
George Sluizer told The Hollywood Reporter he hopes to release Dark Blood next year.
The filmmaker said he plans to ask Phoenix's brother Joaquin to record the film's voiceover because "the voices of both brothers are very much alike".
Phoenix died of a drugs overdose in 1993, aged 23.
Just 11 days of filming on Dark Blood remained at the time.
The producers later attempted to sue his mother for $6 million (3.8 million) saying he did not declare his drug use. The case later collapsed.
However Sluizer, who directed Spoorloos and The Vanishing, has stayed in touch with the Phoenix family in the intervening years.
He told The Hollywood Reporter he had kept the Dark Blood footage hidden all this time, fearing it would be destroyed.
It has now been re-edited and Sluzier believes that with a few adjustments, including the creation of a voice-over, he can complete the movie.
The story concerns a widower living on a nuclear testing site in the desert, who comes to the rescue of a couple of honeymooners when their car breaks down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15369725
Would like to see this.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Yeah I'd also like to see this, not just for the Phoenix factor but because the premise is intriguing.

Also, I did mostly enjoy Sluizer's first version of The Vanishing though the ending struck me as a bit overhyped.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:40 PM
I've waited for this a very long time.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Cool ... I wanna see it ...
Old 10-20-2011, 12:53 AM
This is one of those things I'd always heard of and thought would be cool but now that its actually happening am kind of having mixed feelings. Of course I want to see it but at the same time feel there's been so much waiting and wondering that I am scared it'll be less than good. Still very cool.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:30 PM
It's sounding less and less likely to come to fruition.

The family said they've had no contact with the director recently, and a little digging came up with some interesting information. Apparently, in 1993 when the production shut down following River's death, the producers SUED River's mother. Their claim was that River never disclosed his drug problem to the producers, so that held him (and his family) financially responsible for the money the studio lost on the production.

I can't imagine anyone in the Phoenix family is jumping aboard this with any level of urgency, much less excitement.