Old 10-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Heart Shaped Box?

Has anyone read Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill? I haven't heard much except from the cashier at Barnes and Noble who recommended it to me, good things. I picked it up alongside the Running Man for 8 bucks. Any opinions?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:19 AM
It's a really, really good debut novel. I'm not going to assume that you know Joe Hill is Stephen King's son. But he's definitely a chip off the old block. It's funny, scary and touching in almost equal measures. I haven't gotten around reading his second novel Horns but I will probably get around to it once i'm done with A Dance With Dragons. What I will say is that Heart Shaped Box could be a great movie. It's pretty lean so they wouldn't have to jettison musch of the story to squeeze it down to a two hour script. According to IMDB it is in development. Horns is also being filmed and apparently there's a good chance it's going to be a vehicle for Shia LeBouf. Which causes me no small amount of dismay.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks!
Yeah I'm going to read it next, I was familiar that he was Stephen's boy. I just finished 'Salem's Lot and Read half of the Long Walk at work, slow day, looking forward to checking this one out next.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:34 AM
So far I love it!

Gonna be a great flick if done right!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Dunno if you like comics but i've heard really good things about Joe Hill's Locke & Key. I did read the first couple of issues and it's stored away in the back of my mind as something I do intend to return to at some point because they were good.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Yeah I've heard about the Locke and Key, I'll have to check it out.
I like Heart Shaped Box, it was pretty tight, however I didn't really like the ending, I guess I was expecting a little bit more.

It would have been cool if they did something subtle with girl in the end to let the possibility linger that Craddock was maybe still out there? I could see them doing that in the film adaptation.

I would like to check out some of his other work now, such as Horns or 20th Century Ghosts.