Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Horror Movie talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Halloween III is a Good Sequel, Darnit!

We've all heard the (negative) hype behind Halloween: Season of the Witch and how it is one of the worst sequels of all time, how Michael Myers isn't even in it, and all about how lame it was. Well, heeding those warnings I never ventured to check it out much more than brief clips on AMC around this time of year (I still haven't seen Halloween H20; I like to keep Michael Myers with Loomis, otherwise would be like reading Moby Dick had Captain Ahab not existed.) until just recently...and it was actually a pretty...no, very good sequel!

Now, I'm not going to go into the politics of how John Carpenter and Debra Hill wanted Halloween to go the route of a Horror anthology to come out annually and that is why Michael...and yada-yada-yada. What I appreciate so much about the film is that it has what it takes to be a true staple of the genre, maybe not on the likes of Friday the 13 or Jaws, but a fun film that is highly regarded by Horror fans. The tone of the film is just as good as the original two Halloweens and it provides some very interesting characters such as Tom Atkins and Cochran, who is somewhat like a morbid Willy Wonka! I would recommend fans of the series and genre to at least give this film a chance before dismissing it, although I can see how some purists would not approve. However, it may be my favourite sequel out of all the Halloweens, tough as it is to compete with the other Loomis-centric entries of the series.

Halloween 3: 3.5/4

So, what says you Schmoes? How highly (or lowly) might you rate the film? How does it compare with the others? Are you glad that the series returned to the exploits of Michael Myers or disappointed that it did not go the route proposed with the Season of the Witch?

Last edited by MisoGenie; 10-26-2011 at 07:32 AM..
Old 10-26-2011, 07:46 AM
Halloween III was one of those horror movies I never thought much about or cared for because it had nothing to do with the first two. (Although when I was a kid the Silver Shamrock song was pretty creepy, and still is).

But probably about 15 years or so ago I found the DVD cheap and thought, "Eh, what the hell," and bought it just to add to the collection. I finally decided to give it another go and watch it not as a Halloween sequel but as it's own movie.

I've got to say it wasn't as bad as I remember. Not great but also not really guilty of all the bad reviews. Definitely one I'll probably watch again during one of my horror marathons this weekend. I'd give it about 6/10.

As far as the original plan....that could have been interesting. I didn't mind 4-6 but doubt I would have been too upset had they not been made.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:07 AM
I agree with what you said about Season of the Witch in that I never put much thought or effort into tracking it down due to its lack thereof Myers and its less than desirable reputation. I too found a cheap DVD and decided to give it a chance, although I had by that point seen enough that I knew it would (at the very least) be an interesting watch.

That guy setting himself on fire at the beginning is such a powerful image, by the way. The whole film reminded me of some science-oriented picture of the 70's, and the henchmen really reminded me of that. This had some great scenes of carnage, too!

To justify the title of this Thread, what I meant by it is that although it lacks the central characters of the previous films the atmosphere and tone of the film is spot-on with Halloween's MO and I think that it is more than just worthy of its title. That scene in the room when John Carpenter's original Halloween score was phenomenal.

Last edited by MisoGenie; 10-26-2011 at 10:09 AM..
Old 10-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Amen to this! I really like the Halloween 3, in fact I like it more than Halloween 4 and 5, which in my opinion are pure boring drivel. I don't mind the fact that it doesn't have Mike in it, hell maybe that's why I like it more than the others, Halloween 3 just works as its own thing.

People would have a higher opinion of this if it was marketed as a Halloween film, rather than a "Halloween" film.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 PM
I thought this was an excellent film and it has a special place in my heart now I know some people wont like it because it may not be to the their taste but what i do find unforgivable is the fact people wont like it simply because it doesnt have Myers in it that to me is idiotic it should be judge due to wether its a good film or not not dismissed solely on the fact it has no myers in it. its a great little spooky film with a decent plot in it too.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:46 PM
I agree with all of you guys! I think that obviously the hate comes primarily from the fact that Michael isn't in the film, but if judged on its own merits it's a pretty solid film, imo!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Totally underrated. I need to revisit it soon.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:16 PM

Yes, definitely an underrated gem! I revisited this this past year and I gotta say it does stand on its own. It doesn't need Michael, though as a kid I will confess to being unhappy about that(and there's no witch in it either). But that was way before I started looking at a movie as a whole.

The very bleak ending I have always, always admired.

SHUT IT OFF!!! SHUT IT OFF!!! SHUT IT OFF!!!

Last edited by Mr. Guiltless; 10-27-2011 at 04:19 PM..
Old 10-27-2011, 04:17 PM

Double post
Old 10-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
The very bleak ending I have always, always admired.

SHUT IT OFF!!! SHUT IT OFF!!! SHUT IT OFF!!!
It's an amazing conclusion to the tale. There honestly could have been no greater ending to this film than how they closed curtains.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Halloween 3 shouldn't even be considered a sequel, but it wasn't bad and I was surprised by the ending.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
Halloween 3 shouldn't even be considered a sequel, but it wasn't bad and I was surprised by the ending.
I believe that it's a great sequel - in terms of tone. I mean, clearly it is not a sequel in the sense that it is a continuation of the Laurie Strode/Michael Myers/Doctor Samuel Loomis plotline, but I think that everything about the way the film was shot, scored, and the emotions the film evokes from me as a viewer reflect the original perfectly. Now, the fact that it goes all meta with the trailer for the original Halloween playing at the bar is debatable, but I think that it is a great sequel in the sense that even though there are no tangible characters or locations from its predecessors (and successors) there is an underlying sense of foreboding dread which harken the nature of John Carpenter's direction.

Does anybody else really love the synth-driven score? I couldn't help but think of Robert Rodriguez's portion of Grindhouse (Planet Terror) when I first heard it.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:29 PM
I thought it was...awful. Excruciating. Probably the worst film I've ever seen.

I can't really go into much more detail, it's been years since I've seen it, and I won't ever sit through it again. Just remember it being a nasty, cheap-looking, boring, stupid film with no relevance to the Halloween saga whatsoever. Not much of a criticism...but it's been too long.

1/10
Old 10-27-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
Does anybody else really love the synth-driven score?
Aye. That would be Alan Howarth I believe. He also did the score to The Thing & Escape From NY.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:22 PM
I wish Halloween 2 was the last time we saw Michael Myers...

Halloween 3 was a great movie and I would have liked to see what else they had in store.

I guess we just wanted mostly boring sequels (Halloween 5 and 6 are two of the most annoying movies I've ever seen.)
Old 10-31-2011, 05:10 PM
as a movie on its own,its a very good movie,has a good story.as a movie called Halloween three,it sucks because like you said,it had nothing to do with the first two and Michael Myers was not even in it.Thats why it SHOULD have been called Season of the witch.When you think of it that way,its actually a pretty good movie.I think of it called that and i can get into it and enjoy it.I really like that silver shamrock song 8 more days till halloween.too cool.Hallowenn for sure SHOULD have ended with H2O.Dont know if you know how it ends or not so wont spoil it for you but it had the perfect way to end the whole thing,the next halloween movie was so moronic killing off laurie,I try to tell myself that movie never happened and it ended with H2o.H2o was the perfect way to end the whole franchis the way Michael should have been killed off in that movie was a great way to end the whole thing.it should have ended with the return of michael myers but since it didnt,they for sure should at least have ended the whole dame thing with H2O.I wish they had ended the michael myers thing with the return of michael myers because that was a good way to end it all right there actually,like Loomis said-He is dead,he has been sent back to hell where he belongs.with the graveyard and everything,made perfect sense he was in hell.I was hoping that that would be the end of Myers and his niece wwas now possessed and the future killer
Old 10-31-2011, 07:47 PM
The Halloween Franchise has certainly spun us a fair share of curveballs and then withheld punches in the subsequent sequels. It all began with Halloween III, the first (and only) sequel without Michael Myers, promising to breathe a fresh air into the series. That wasn't too popular with the audience, so they put him and Loomis back into the next installment, but at the end of which it is proposed that Jamie Lloyd will inherit the "Eeeeevviiillll!!!" However, in pt. 5, this plot point is dropped and The Mark of Thorn is introduced. I commend pt. 6 for adopting some of the plot holes of the series and wrapping them up. I honestly feel that the producer's cut is one of the smarter entries in the series. H20 retcons everything, and we all know what happened with Resurrection.

Just a little factoid I thunk up.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Never liked this movie. Myers absence wasn't really the reason either. I just never liked this since a kid

Last edited by cooper.bradley71@yahoo.com; 11-01-2011 at 11:49 AM..
Old 11-01-2011, 12:06 PM
just wondering,do you like the idea of what I thought was going to happen with The Return of michael myers? I really like this film a lot so I was glad they made this one and had Myers reunited with Loomis again.Do you like my idea of what I thought was going to happen of that would be the end of Michael Myers,that like Loomis said, he was sent back to hell falling through those graves but now just as Loomis feared,the shape NOW had possession of Jamie and she was no longer human anymore and could not be killed and they would have to try and stop her now instead? that would be different seeing a kid coming at you throwing people around with supernatural strength and killing people.The thing I hated so much about the sequal afterwards and why I wish that movie had never been made was because it sucked the way it ended Myers getting broken out of jail like that and you had to wait for YEARS before we found out who that guy was that broke him out.The other thing i hated about it was Loomis knows that he is not a man,that he isnt human,so why not right there and then when the rope comes down on him,WHY IN THE HELL NOT CHOP HIM UP IN PIECES!!!!!!! why in hell do the cops after everything he has done,not do that either? the thing is a monster.not a man.stupid unimiagitve screen writing at its worse.Yeah to me,Halloween three is like Rocky 5.If you think of it as another Rocky movie,its going to suck,but if you dont think of it as that,and as a movie called Tommy.Its a movie that stands good on its own.Same with season of the witch.I just think of it as being called season of the witch.

Last edited by Mr Parker; 11-01-2011 at 12:09 PM..
Old 11-05-2011, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't mind having had seen Jamie Lloyd take the reigns as a killer, but I don't think that a girl as young as she throwing full-grown adults around would be very believable, even if she did possess supernatural convictions. I think that they could have gone the stealth>power route of Child's Play, but otherwise it would end up like Evil Dead.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:00 PM
I'll always remember it for that brilliant ending. Overall I thought it was a decent horror film, but I think it would have had a better reception had it not had the Halloween name attachted to it.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Never actually seen it so I can't comment on whether it's a good film. I always avoided it because of the terrible reviews it seems to get everywhere, even though I though premise was decent enough. I like the fact Carpenter & Hill wanted to make the Halloween series an anthology, but this film bombing like it did put an end to that.

I love the first and second films, and really liked the fourth. Five was terrible, and I never really got into six (Should probably give the whole series a rewatch) and as far as H20 and Resurrection....well It's best that I don't give me opinion on those two, need to keep the blood pressure down.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:18 PM
I pretty much agree, although I consider The Curse of Michael Myers to be one of the best films in the series. Five was tolerable, to be honest, even if it was very Friday the 13. I really like all of them up until H20, which I found to be mediocre and I don't much remember Resurrection. I think that the less I remember about that one, the better.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
I pretty much agree, although I consider The Curse of Michael Myers to be one of the best films in the series. Five was tolerable, to be honest, even if it was very Friday the 13. I really like all of them up until H20, which I found to be mediocre and I don't much remember Resurrection. I think that the less I remember about that one, the better.
Yeah, I agree(I actually like 5 better than 4). Although I spared myself from ever seeing Resurrection. It will probably stay that way. lol
Old 11-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
Yeah, I agree(I actually like 5 better than 4). Although I spared myself from ever seeing Resurrection. It will probably stay that way. lol
WHY on earth did you like 5 better than 4? 5 sucked the way it ended.Micheal being broken out of jail like that.oh and yeah thats the best thing to do is stay away form Resurrection.Like i ssaid,I like to pretend that resurrection never happened.That it all ended with H2O which again would have been the perfect way to end the whole thing.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:18 PM
My favourite Halloween.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Parker View Post
WHY on earth did you like 5 better than 4? 5 sucked the way it ended.Micheal being broken out of jail like that.
The intrigue. And oh yeah, they are BOTH pretty subpar. The way the day and night chronology lined up in 5 is quite hilarious. But the guy with the boots who breaks Mike out of jail, seeing that in the theaters(yeah I saw it in '89) added to it.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:17 PM
I actually just purchased the paperback novelization last night. I've heard there are a few subtle differences and I'm curious to read how the author describes the kid dying and turning to bugs.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight101 View Post
I actually just purchased the paperback novelization last night. I've heard there are a few subtle differences and I'm curious to read how the author describes the kid dying and turning to bugs.
You'll have to let us know how that goes! I haven't read the novelizations of many films, but those I have read are interesting companion-pieces usually. Enjoy!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:11 PM
I have always been kind of annoyed that a movie called Halloween did not have enough to do with Halloween the holiday. I find the Halloween franchise nostalgic and have a blast watching any of them and respect their place in horror movie history but they aren't my favorite. However Halloween III speaks to my inner child that screams for more movies that have all to do with Halloween the holiday like Trick r Treat. It's the only movie in the franchise that is actually a "Halloween" movie. How many damn Christmas movies come out every year and we get a couple rare gems over the last couple of decades that do Halloween justice. I personally would love to see more movies like Halloween III.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 PM

^Good post.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodpop4 View Post
I have always been kind of annoyed that a movie called Halloween did not have enough to do with Halloween the holiday. I find the Halloween franchise nostalgic and have a blast watching any of them and respect their place in horror movie history but they aren't my favorite. However Halloween III speaks to my inner child that screams for more movies that have all to do with Halloween the holiday like Trick r Treat. It's the only movie in the franchise that is actually a "Halloween" movie. How many damn Christmas movies come out every year and we get a couple rare gems over the last couple of decades that do Halloween justice. I personally would love to see more movies like Halloween III.
I agree, (although I do love the other Halloweens) and that was a lot of my thesis in opening this Thread. This film is perhaps the most sentimental about the season out of the entire series and shares more with Carpenter's original than some of the other entries in the series. The score and atmosphere is just as much a character as The Shape himself!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Halloween III is not the worst in the series, IMO. I actually like it and don't particularly care that Myers isn't in it.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Awesome post! I couldn't agree more! I put together a Halloween III fan page on facebook if anyone is interested in joining! I wanted to pay tribute to what I think is a very under appreciated and misunderstood movie. Search "Halloween III" in facebook and it should come up. Or click here: https://www.facebook.com/HalloweenIiiSeasonOfTheWitch
Thanks!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:28 PM
I find H3 to be a "mood" film. I've watched it and hated it, then watched it again 12 months later and kinda liked it. I'm either bi-polar or it's just one of those movies that will work for you if you are in the right mood.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:45 PM
In the "ride a horror serie name" , Friday the 13th part V is 100x time better than Halloween 3.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:35 PM
I do also enjoy Friday The 13th Part V: A New Beginning. But apples and baseballs, friend. Unless you wanna just chalk both up and say how much we love and miss the 80's.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Season of the Witch is one of the best of the series. After you get past the whole 'Michael wasn't in it' thing; you come to realize it's not that bad of a movie individually. Decent acting, great score, great atmosphere...it's definitely in the top 5.

3/5
Old 12-23-2012, 02:40 AM
I'm obviously way late to this party, but I will still aggressively chime in and agree that H3: Season of the Witch is needlessly lambasted. It is a creepy-yet-still-fun little Halloween flick that would be far more appreciated if it weren't forever linked to (the absence of) Michael Myers.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:05 AM
It's lambasted because it's a HALLOWEEN sequel ..... probably would have been better received if it was called Night of the Masks or something.