Old 11-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Sirius/XM Satellite Radio?

Thinking about getting a subscription with 'em.

It's been about 5 years or so since I had Sirius, before they bought out XM of course. Mainly got it for Howard Stern, and it was worth it. For whatever reason I did away with it though. At the time it was $13/month.

I just visited their web page and it apparently looks like it's recommended that you buy one of their radio's at a retailer, and then go on their site to activate your subscription to their service. The prices have only gone up like $3 more, so that's fair.

Then I go to the shop section, and I look at radio's for my vehicle only. They've got a "snap on" radio there for $30 which sounds good, and pretty much all I would need/want. Then it gives you the option to chose a 3 month or 1-3 year subscription included for the service. The PROBLEM is, that it doesn't go into specifics as far as WHAT is included in that 3 month subscription to their service (ie. what channels, etc).

SO does anyone have their service, and if so, is it worth getting? How's their customer service? And service in general, when you're riding around in your car?

Also, would it make more sense to purchase their radio online or at a retailer - and then once I have it, THEN go to their site and set up a subscription with them choosing the "I already have my Sirius/XM radio" option?

Any help or feedback on this would be much appreciated! Thanks
Old 11-07-2011, 10:48 PM
i have Sirius/xm in my car. it's cost me 11 dollars a month. I just get the music stations. i had just plain o Sirius for the longest time until radio broke.

i like the idea not having to lose the channel when you go to a different town.

my fav, stations are boneyard and classic vinyl
Old 11-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Right on athf, have you had any issues with the service or any problems with their customer service?

Apparently as of 1/1/12 - they're increasing their regular rate up by like $1.30 or something - the first increase to their base rate since they started as a company. That's a good track record, but it still sucks for existing customers I suppose. I wouldn't mind it though, and if I can fuckin' afford it I won't know the difference starting out as a "new" customer again anyway.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:06 AM
If you want it for Howard go for it.

If you have an iPhone get something by Pioneer called App Radio. It is like a headunit without a cd player. Basically, you are using your iPhone and the apps to listen to music. You can use Pandora, your songs on your iPhone or what radio apps you have, view pics, Navigation, bluetooth and more.

http://pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio
Take a look at the clip on the link.

Retail is like $400, but I am sure you can find it cheaper online. Then you don't have to pay for any subscriptions.

If you don't have an iPhone,, then oh well, but if I were to get something I would get this. I pretty much listen to song on my iPhone and a few internet radio stations. Worth the upfront costs

There is a $30 rebate going on with Sirius. Sirius has better signals now, because they are using the XM satellites and network. To me, I think it is over priced. I have it built into two of my cars, but I don't have it active. Every now and then it is free for a bit and I quickly know why I choose not to pay for it.

Last edited by Erroneous; 11-08-2011 at 01:10 AM..
Old 11-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Interesting Erroneous, thanks for the feedback on that. Why DO you choose not to pay for it?

Also, I don't have an Iphone, and have no intentions of getting one. So if I DID get Sirius/XM it'd be via traditional means.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:29 PM
My dad has had XM/Sirius for about 6 or 7 years now, though he might not have it anymore.

He did enjoy it though, especially when he first got it. He's a classic rock kind of guy and was blown away saying stuff like "i haven't heard this song since i was 13!" So for stuff like that it's probably good. Also he said it took about a week before he heard a song play twice.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:36 PM
i had no problem except for the losing the signal few times but that was because of a thunderstorm. the radio still work until like under 20 inches of snow.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Right on that's cool - Thanks guys.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
Interesting Erroneous, thanks for the feedback on that. Why DO you choose not to pay for it?

Also, I don't have an Iphone, and have no intentions of getting one. So if I DID get Sirius/XM it'd be via traditional means.

it does nothing for me. the music is no different from the radio or iphone.
the original programming does not interest me.
i listen to wfan or espn radio through my iphone.
satellite is just a waste for me and my needs
Old 11-09-2011, 02:14 AM
Fair enough sir.

I DO agree with ya as far as the music aspect, in that (unless it's a SPECIFIC "rolling stones" or "elvis" channel) - That satellite DOES play a lotta the shit that's on terrestrial radio for sure.

I'm a HUGE fan of talk radio, so if I WERE to get it - it'd be for Howard Stern, sports & political talk programs.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
Fair enough sir.

I DO agree with ya as far as the music aspect, in that (unless it's a SPECIFIC "rolling stones" or "elvis" channel) - That satellite DOES play a lotta the shit that's on terrestrial radio for sure.

I'm a HUGE fan of talk radio, so if I WERE to get it - it'd be for Howard Stern, sports & political talk programs.
Well you'll find there is more of a variety of the music. I'm not sure about any kind of popular radio stations Sirius might have that would be comparable to radio stations but the genre or decade stations give you way more variety.

Here in Toronto we have a classic rock station called Q107. It's pretty good, has decent variety, but they tend to play a bit too much Rolling Stones, Beatles and Zeppelin and not enough of stuff like Black Sabbath, Steppenwolf or Blood Sweat and Tears. Where as on the Calssic rock or the 60's/70's station you're going to get a wider variety.

Exactly how these channels break down or their quality overall i'm not sure of aside from my dad really enjoying the 70's station for classic rock stuff. So in place of regular radio its better but if you are Wifi'n like Erroneous you'll probably find better stuff then on Sirius.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Interestingly enough Vesaker, I had started this thread after my favourite local progressive talk radio station on terrestrial radio (I had thought indefinitely) been replaced by Mexican music.

Oddly enough, the next day I checked the channel again and it was back to my talk radio station. It's bizarre, I must've been getting a signal for another station close to it on the AM dial or something coming in that day.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm going to go through with purchasing Sirius/XM or not - if I do it won't be for a few months yet, I'm sure. Thanks for the info though!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 PM
I pay extra for one thing and one thing only:

THE OPIE & ANTHONY SHOW
Old 12-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exophrine View Post
I pay extra for one thing and one thing only:

THE OPIE & ANTHONY SHOW
I've listened to it actually - it's embarrassingly bad.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Hey, you have your opinion and I have mine. It's worth every single penny to me