Old 11-23-2011, 05:40 PM
F. F. Coppola - "The Godfather II was a mistake"

Francis Ford Coppola, "There should've only been one 'Godfather' Movie"

Quote:
It is regularly listed as one of the greatest movies ever made and many think it is superior to the original.

But legendary filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola has confessed that he regrets making The Godfather Part II, despite the fact its cemented his reputation and scooped him an Oscar for best director.

The revelation is sure to shock fans of the legendary mafia series, which also spawned a second sequel which fared less well critically.

Francis, 72, made the shock admission when he was asked by a TMZ cameraman in Los Angeles if he would consider returning to the hit series.

He said: 'There should have only been one.'

The Godfather, which was filmed in 1972, and its sequel are frequently paired together near the top of greatest movie of all time lists, with Orson Welles' trailblazing Citizen Cane usually just above them.

The first film is usually rated above the sequel, although the latter was more successful at the Oscars, winning six gongs to the first film's three, including the only best director nod he has received during his career.
"TMZ Live" spoke with Frank Sivero -- who played Don Vito's consigliere Genco Abbandando in the flick that's widely regarded as the greatest sequel of all time.

Sivero tells us he regards the ACADEMY AWARD winning movie as a "masterpiece" -- and says he's completely baffled as to why Coppola would ever make such an outrageous claim.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Francis enjoys saying dumb shit. He always has.

Happily, he can't go back and repeatedly fuck it up with numbskull edits and lame effects, unlike a contemporary of his that I could name.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
Happily, he can't go back and repeatedly fuck it up with numbskull edits and lame effects, unlike a contemporary of his that I could name.
"Apocalpyse Now" would like a word with you. Granted, I strongly believe the definitive cut of the film would be the Redux version MINUS the 'private time with the Playboy bunnies' segment and the entire French plantation segment.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Quote:
F. F. Coppola - "The Godfather III was a mistake"
Fixed.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
Fixed.
You wish!!! lol
Old 11-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Quote:
there should have only been one

that's all he said

In response to a question about whether he would return to the series, implicating a fourth or fifth movie, he responded 'there should have only been one'. That's it.

Theatricality ftw.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
that's all he said

In response to a question about whether he would return to the series, implicating a fourth or fifth movie, he responded 'there should have only been one'. That's it.

Theatricality ftw.
But that statement implies that he never should have made The Godfather Part II. It's a controversial statement considering how highly regarded Part 2 is. Shini, you're normally on point but I'm not sure what you're getting at here. The only way I agree with you is if Francis meant "There should have only been one (sequel)." From the context it sounds like he was talking about the series, implying that he meant there should have been only one film.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Part III was a mistake.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Part III was a mistake.
This. I totally agree with. I believe I fell asleep trying to get through Part 3 to be honest. Will have to give it another try sometime.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:56 PM
I made fun of theatricality while using giant bold letters

Quote:
But that statement implies that he never should have made The Godfather Part II. It's a controversial statement considering how highly regarded Part 2 is. Shini, you're normally on point but I'm not sure what you're getting at here. The only way I agree with you is if Francis meant "There should have only been one (sequel)." From the context it sounds like he was talking about the series, implying that he meant there should have been only one film.

If I don't make off statements now and again I will lose the audience! Huzzah!

The article says he was asked this question by a TMZ cameraman, right. Which suggests to me the question was in passing and the answer followed in spirit. The amount of thought put into the public response probably doesn't match the amount of thought put into the statement itself. A TMZ cameraman asked if he would return to the Godfather series, and the director, as I imagine him in my hipster mind, said nah bro, it should have stopped at one. That could be a sudden condemnation of the godfather 2 and 3. Or it could be an unmeasured response to a question asking if the godfather series could continue.

But I did get annoyed in a theatrical way at the theatricality of a thread quoting "the godfather 2 was a mistake" despite that, apparently, not being a quote at all. It's an implication, but only an implication.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:31 PM
I knew this thread would once again turn into a chastising of "Part III" for merely being 'good' instead of 'fucking brilliant' like the first two. You'll never convince me otherwise that this movie wouldn't enjoy a far better reputation if it didn't have the "Godfather" moniker attached to it.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Part III is hardly a mistake. Just because it wasn't quite on the level of the first two, doesn't mean it wasn't good. In fact, I thought it was a great.

If Coppola wants to talk about mistakes in his career then he should talk about Jack first.

Last edited by ilovemovies; 11-23-2011 at 10:40 PM..
Old 11-24-2011, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
Granted, I strongly believe the definitive cut of the film would be the Redux version MINUS the 'private time with the Playboy bunnies' segment and the entire French plantation segment.
I don't disagree with that. The main thing I always wanted to see, ever since I saw Sheen talking about it in the early 80's, was more footage from the time at Kurtz's compound.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
If I don't make off statements now and again I will lose the audience! Huzzah!

The article says he was asked this question by a TMZ cameraman, right. Which suggests to me the question was in passing and the answer followed in spirit. The amount of thought put into the public response probably doesn't match the amount of thought put into the statement itself. A TMZ cameraman asked if he would return to the Godfather series, and the director, as I imagine him in my hipster mind, said nah bro, it should have stopped at one. That could be a sudden condemnation of the godfather 2 and 3. Or it could be an unmeasured response to a question asking if the godfather series could continue.

But I did get annoyed in a theatrical way at the theatricality of a thread quoting "the godfather 2 was a mistake" despite that, apparently, not being a quote at all. It's an implication, but only an implication.
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. Any TMZ article we have to take with a grain of salt, they're notorious for blowing a simple quote out of proportion and sensationalizing the story... BUT I think the controversy is appropriate when the statement implies that the G part 2 was a mistake. Sure it's just an implication, and we're probably making a mountain out of a molehill, but what else are we going to do? This forum doesn't see much discussion these days so I'm happy for a bit of sensationalism when it comes along, makes for fun discussion.

Anyway, I think it would have been a lot cooler of Coppola said "There can be only one."

Old 11-24-2011, 02:21 PM
I agree with Shinigami. FFC saying "There should have been only one." doesn't really say much as to what he meant. One what? One Godfather movie? One sequel?

I wish Coppola would've said more as to what he meant, but instead we get TMZ getting an entire article out of six words that all of a sudden has caused an uproar among movie fans.

I find it a little hard to believe if Coppola actually meant one Godfather movie, considering the first movie only adapts half the book (the second movie covers the other half). I'm not completely believing TMZ on this one.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:26 PM
NEWSFLASH: Coppola didn't even wanna make the first film. He only did it because he was strapped for cash...
Old 11-24-2011, 11:38 PM
And he did want to make One From The Heart, so...
Old 11-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
NEWSFLASH: Coppola didn't even wanna make the first film. He only did it because he was strapped for cash...
Robert Evans famously rejected the first cut, and made his own demands.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:42 AM
nope, that movie Jack was a mistake.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:28 AM
This thread does an awesome job of reminding me why I never pay any attention to TMZ.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:39 AM
I watched part of TMZ once. I want to punch the head guy with the drink in the face very hard, many times. He is just pure trash.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:33 PM
I've long regarded Coppola as the Brian Wilson of the movie world. They both started out rough but with great potential, became undisputed masters of their craft, then both took on an overly ambitious projects which they were unable to finish to their complete satisfaction for many years ("Apocalypse Now" and SMiLE, respectively), and sent him into long artistic tailspins. And now in the 21st century they're both back to making interesting work again, even if it'll never live up to their glory days.