Old 12-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Best Blu-Ray Player Under $140?

Hey all-

Well I'm just wrapping up my DVD collection. This has consisted of me selling, and giving away DVD's I'm probably never going to watch again. I've culled about 800 down to around 150 or so I think. Which surprises even me.

Having said that, a coupla months ago I purchased a new 40 inch Philips HDTV. I've had an HDTV before, but I love this one even more.

Anyway, I'm now doing my first (technically second) foray into collecting Blu-Ray's, and I'm wondering what the best stand-alone Blu-Ray player is out there, that's around $140 or less? I've been told both Sony & Philips brands, but admittedly have not got around to pricing each player yet. I'm not interested to much in all the extra's like Netflix, etc. - Just something that's dependable, and can upscale my DVD's well too. (though I believe ALL Blu-Ray players automatically upscale the DVD's when you play them, right?)

Also, I'm NOT wanting a PS3 at this time. While I've heard it is or was the best Blu-Ray player on the market, video gaming and all the additional stuff... I'm simply not interested in. The only other feature which would be good is that the Blu-Ray player have wireless capability, since I'm sure I'll need to connect online to do player updates, etc. to keep up with the new Blu-Ray's that are always rolling out/being released.

I thought of no better place to ask, then right here. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks
Old 12-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Bantameant and I bought a Philips BluRay player that comes with a WiFi adapter for $98.00 at Walmart - We're in Canada and got it for that, you should be able to get a pretty good deal at Walmart for a Philips or better than philips brand... don't get a shitty store brand one.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourahioro View Post
Bantameant and I bought a Philips BluRay player that comes with a WiFi adapter for $98.00 at Walmart - We're in Canada and got it for that, you should be able to get a pretty good deal at Walmart for a Philips or better than philips brand... don't get a shitty store brand one.
Right on, how do you like it? Everything work well?
Old 12-02-2011, 01:12 AM
For $140 or less you should be able to grab a really good Blu Ray player. I believe now Wi Fi is fairly standard. (Obviously look at the box before you buy, I don't know if say a $40 one would have Wi Fi, but if you are looking to spend around $100 or more, I'd put money on it that it has Wi Fi)

The only thing I can really say is, Don't buy a GE, my pops bought one and it is pretty much a piece of shit. Incredibly long load times, sometimes discs don't even play. Just really frustrating.

I have a PS3, that i seriously only use for watching movies, once in a while I'll pull out Madden or World Series of Poker, but that is pry once every 4 months or so! But you don't want one of them.

Toshiba makes solid players and so does Samsung, but ya, stay away from GE!

Sorry I'm not more helpful with actual models to buy, but seriously, if you stick with name brand and pay 100 or more, you will more than likely end up with a quality player.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:47 AM
Sounds good SkyNet, I appreciate the heads up on not getting a GE player. I won't go with a "no name" brand either. Probably a Sony, Samsung or Philips brand I think at this point. I think you're right, if I pay around $100 or a bit more, then Wireless should be a no-brainer. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:37 PM
i got a cheap 50 dollar LG player. it works pretty nice. the only thing no internet connection but the firmware update using usb flash drive was not hard. i don't use the bluray live crap anyway