Old 12-27-2011, 07:07 PM
When do the Democratic debates start?

I've been wondering about this for a while now. It seems that Obama is the only candidate for pres on the democratic side.

?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:43 PM
I doubt anyone will sponsor a debate, much less the DNC. Unless some serious candidate gets like 10 million signatures, but they would probably rather save the money for the big election. I'm pretty sure the same thing happened with Clinton in '95, where it was just a given that he'd be running for the party. He had some contenders but it wasn't even really close. To give you an idea of how this might work - try to name 3 candidates who ran for the Republican vote in 2004, not including Bush II.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:06 PM
I assumed there wasn't gonna be one. I thought it was like, if a Republica is in office, the Dems have their debates etc and vice versa, unless, the sitting pres is in his 2nd term, then they both have them.

But again, I've only been voting for 5 years, so...
Old 12-28-2011, 03:43 PM
It is getting late for someone to challenge Obama. Someone could step up, but chances are basically 100% Obama will be the Democrat nominee.

I will say this, this may be the first election where the President could be either side. It could be the closest election ever. Many Dems I have talked to are not happy with Obama, and vow to vote Republican. At the same time, many are behind him because they dislike all the Republican nominees.

As things stand now, I am not sure which way I am going. It all comes down to where we are at during the election process.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Until we get a candidate who vows to break our dependance on fossil fuels, and commits to investing our future in renewable energy, I really dont care. Until we get a candidate who vows to excise the cancer that is corporate influence on political elections and legislation, I really don't care.
When that candidate is elected and follows through, then Ill start caring again.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Obama is the lone Democrat on the 2012 ticket. No Democrat is going to challenge the President on his reelection bid; that's what Republicans are for. I'm thinking it's kind of rare to challenge an incumbent President who's up for re-election for the party's nomination.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:28 PM
it does happen though...

Recent examples are in 1992 when Pat Buchanan challenged George HW Bush, in 1980 when Ted Kennedy challenged Jimmy Carter, and in 1976 when Ronald Reagan challenged Gerald Ford.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedMind View Post
Until we get a candidate who vows to break our dependance on fossil fuels, and commits to investing our future in renewable energy, I really dont care. Until we get a candidate who vows to excise the cancer that is corporate influence on political elections and legislation, I really don't care.
When that candidate is elected and follows through, then Ill start caring again.
I would want Ron Paul to win too but the powers that be would never let that happen.

How come there is no thread here about the Republican debates? It's entertaining the hell out of me..