Old 12-31-2011, 05:43 PM
Purchasing a new Plasma: Native Resolution question

This would technically be a follow up thread to my earlier thread 'Decisions, decisions....HDTV help!' I'm not making this a continuing post on that thread because I would like a fresh perspective from plasma owners.

Hi Schmoes!. I am looking to buy a new plasma HDTV. Never owned a plasma before, but my dad has had a 55" Panasonic Plasma for about 6 years now, and it still looks absolutely fabulous.

After about 3 solid no shower days of research, I have narrowed down my choice between 2 models: the Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT30 or the Panasonic Viera TC-P65VT30. Obviously the only difference between the two are the sizes: 55" or 65". Which brings me to my question...

Both models have a native resolution of 2,073,600 pixels (1,920 x 1,080). Blu-rays have a native resolution of the same size. If both models have the same number of pixels/native resolution, is the 65" going to be distorted or have less crisp of a picture? Cnet's review says the 55" is one of the best tvs they have reviewed this year, but they haven't reviewed the 65". My real concern, being a huge BD enthusist, is will i have to 'blow up' my picutre to fit the 65" screen? If anyone can give me some insight on this or owns either the 55" or the 65" I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Last edited by Huttjos; 12-31-2011 at 05:45 PM..
Old 12-31-2011, 08:09 PM
I think you should have just left this in the other thread, but anyway...

It doesn't matter what size screen it is. If resolution is 1080p (1920x1080) then it will be outputting the exact same display no matter what size the screen is.
The difference being that you will get a better VIEW of said pixels with a bigger screen.

Also, it won't "blow up" anything to a different size. Whatever the resolution of the source, it will play it. That means non-anamorphic DVDs will look like even MORE shit on a bigger screen, but blu rays will just be even better looking in comparison.

Here's something really easy to do; when you're at the store, ask to play a DVD and a blu ray in each of those TVs and see for yourself what you think of the results.