Old 12-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Rust and Bone

Directed by Jacques Audiard

Written by Jacques Audiard, Thomas Bidegain, Craig Davidson

Genre: Drama

Plot Outline: Put in charge of his young son, Ali leaves Belgium for Antibes to live with his sister and her husband as a family. Ali's bond with Stephanie, a killer whale trainer, grows deeper after Stephanie suffers a horrible accident.

Starring: Marion Cotillard, Matthias Schoenaerts, Armand Verdure, CÚline Sallette

Rated R for strong sexual content, brief graphic nudity, some violence and language

Runtime: 120 minutes

Saw this last night. Will post some thoughts later.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Simply an emotional ride. I haven't seen anything from this director, I hear his 2001 film is pretty similar to this though. Judging solely this work, I thought it was quite gripping from beginning to end. Honest, and raw, too. I like films that don't hold back, and this one didn't.

9/10
Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 AM
Completely forgot to post more thoughts on this. Matthias Schoenaerts and Marion Cotillard are incredible. Two of the best performances of the year, most definitely. I had some pretty huge issues with Audiard's last film, A Prophet, but thought this was a huge improvement. It's raw, emotional and consistently engaging (I though A Prophet really suffered in its second act).

I do have a couple of issues with it though. I felt that it wrapped up far too quickly. I would have liked an extra 20 minutes or so to flesh some things out. I can understand not wanting to drag it out with big cliche emotional conversations, but it all just felt a bit abrupt. There were also some things that happened in the film that seemed a bit random and were never really addressed afterward.

These are rather minor complaints though. Overall, I really enjoyed it and damn those performances were great.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Yeah this is definitely worthy of being in a top ten of the year list. The cinematography is breathtaking, the performances are as good as can be, it's gritty, raw and visceral. A simple story of two lost souls meeting and making a difference in one another's lives, Rust and Bone shows that sometimes the simplest stories are the best ones.

Also felt the ending was a bit too abrupt and that the subplot of Ali's thieving was a little rushed, but those would be my only complaints.

**** out of *****