Old 02-26-2012, 08:33 PM
The "unofficial video games" thread...

First of all, I put "unofficial video games" in quotes because I didn't mean an unofficial thread about video games, no. I mean a thread about the more unconventional video games that are in existence. Games that aren't official releases by big development companies and aren't released through the usual mainstream venues.

My main drive is at games that aren't even made by game makers; I mean games that are made by fans. Just someone with the know how to make a game themselves and then goes on to make something that touches the hearts of other fans. The real kicker of all this: they do it for free.

When it comes to games like this, three recent games come to mind:
  • Super Mario Star Road - Watch the trailer here
    This is a game done by a guy who made a patch to the already-existing N64 rom of SUPER MARIO 64. It's a completely brand new game, full of different worlds, maps, and objectives to complete. Using what was already there, he made a whole new game. I for one love it. I even went so far as to get a USB connector for my N64 controller and calibrate it. This game is everything I wanted back in the day, but never got.
  • Abobo's Big Adventure - Watch the trailer here
    This is a completely brand new spin on an old character, Abobo from the old DOUBLE DRAGON series. Taking an obscure character that barely anyone knew, these guys made a game with an original storyline (however lame/hacky it may be) and combined great elements of other games to make it great.
  • Super Mario Bros. Crossover - Watch the trailer here
    Now this is an amazing title, through and through. Taking the already-existing worlds of the original SUPER MARIO BROS., and then allowing for other NES game characters to explore and play within them. It's such a simple formula, and it works! I love playing this one over and over again

So...those are my favorites. Anyone else got any of their own discoveries to share?

Last edited by Exophrine; 02-26-2012 at 08:58 PM..
Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 PM
I don't have any games to share, but I have to say my interest is piqued by Super Mario Star Road. Did you play it on an emulator?
Old 02-27-2012, 11:45 PM
Yes. There's no other way to play it. You have to take the original Super Mario 64 game, modify it, and run the modded rom in an emulator.

I also have another game to share. It's not out yet, but it will be by the end of the week.
  • mari0 - Click to see a test run
    This is a great crossover involving just the normal characters and levels, but the twist this time is that Mario's got himself a Portal Gun! It comes out in just over 4 days! I can't wait.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:47 PM
There's a new fan-made game that's come out that's worth noting...

If you're a fan of both the classic NES Mega Man franchise (and not the SNES Megaman X franchise) and the Street Fighter series, then you might like this.

Basically, it plays more off of the MegaMan series. It's got Street Fighter characters as bosses.

Check out the trailer for STREET FIGHTER X MEGA MAN:
http://youtu.be/61-OMrOxyso