Old 07-25-2010, 01:31 AM
Alexandre Aja to Remake "Maniac"

Alexandre Aja to Remake "Maniac"

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headlin...=18415&count=0
Old 07-25-2010, 02:15 AM
Jeeze, I haven't even seen the original yet except for the scene where Tom Savini's head explodes.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Never cared for the original, but this is insanely unnecessary.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Is this guy only going to be known as a remake director now?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:10 PM
I am actually all for this. The fact that Maniac isnt well known is a good thing imo(unlike Friday the 13th or Hallowween). I do hope with the Maniac remake, Aja goes back to his High Tension days and makes a dead serious/scary as shit film (instead of this silly Pirahana shit).
Old 08-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMarcey View Post
Is this guy only going to be known as a remake director now?
That's the first thought that came through my head. High Tension was flawed but original (unless Im missing a rip-off I don't know about). The guy has chops...go for the gold and go original!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Their were a few scenes in High Tension that were inspired by Maniac so he should do a good job. Maniac is a decent horror film, but it is heavily flawed and actually could be better. Those are the movies to remake. Not Hellraiser and Fright Night.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:41 PM
I've become numb to these announcements anymore...ridiculous
Old 08-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Aja is a competent director. I really dug High Tension and I have a feeling Piranha 3D is going to surprise a lot of people. I'll be looking forward to this one.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:32 PM
I was going to say something like, is this guy ever going to do something original but then I realize that his best movie, infact, his only good movie, happens to be a remake. The Hills Have Eyes is really good. High Tension had it's moments but was ruined by a bad ending. And Mirrors, despite having an effective opening scene and a cool ending, was really pretty shitty. And Piranha 3D looks fucking atrocious. I think I've finally given up on this guy. His career started out alright, but it's gone to shit. Oh well.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:30 AM
It's very old movie. I saw it in 1981. Its story is superb! I love all scary scenes.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:45 PM
Could be good.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan M. View Post
Jeeze, I haven't even seen the original yet except for the scene where Tom Savini's head explodes.

That`s basically the highlight of the movie.

You`re not missing much, imo - I never understood what was supposed to be so great about "Maniac".

And Aja...what the hell? Enough with the damn remakes already! "Piranha" sucked (it didn`t even work as a "trashy fun" b-movie). Forget the remakes and do something original!
Old 02-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Remakes do not anger nor do they surprise me anymore. They are a dime a dozen now. I like Maniac, not sure if I would watch a remake of it.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Elijah Wood Cast in Remake of Maniac

Quote:
Source: Bloody-Disgusting, Deadline November 4, 2011

Broken first by Bloody-Disgusting and confirmed by Deadline, the news is out: Elijah Wood has been cast in Maniac, a remake this site actually broke the news about a year or two back.

Wood landed the eponymous role, perhaps tapping into that creepy side we saw in Sin City.

He'll play a serial killer who works at a mannequin store. According to Deadline, "he finds victims on the Internet and stalks them like prey, all the while suffering from hallucinations that throw him back into the past, when he was abused by his own mother."

P2's Franck Khalfoun will directed and Aja and Gregory Lavasseur will produce.

William Lustig helmed the original film which starred Joe Spinell.
LINK:
http://shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=21770

Maniac Remake Taking a Unique Visual Approach

Quote:
Source:Badass Digest November 7, 2011

If one was to go about remaking William Lustig's Maniac, one would have find a unique approach to the story, after all, we've seen many imitators over the last 30 years on television and in film. Maybe not blatant copycats, but there have certainly been similar onscreen creeps.

Director Franck Khalfoun and producers Aja and Gregory Lavasseu - the team behind the upcoming Maniac redo - seem to have angle.

Besides the unconventional casting of Elijah Wood, as the "maniac," rumor has it that all of the killer's scenes will be shot in POV.

Badass Digest broke the scoop, first reporting that the entire film would be shot in POV, but their story was corrected (someone on the inside must have reached out to clarify) to state that the POV technique would only appear during the killer's moments.

Wood would only be seen in reflections.

POV has been a staple of the genre, of course, putting the audience in the killer's shoes. Peeping Tom, Halloween, Black Christmas are benchmark films utilizing the technique.

Given the grotesque nature with which the maniac of Maniac does his business, this could get particularly nasty...
LINK:
http://shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=21781
Old 11-07-2011, 11:14 AM
I don't quite know how to feel about this. I've never seen the original Maniac, but I am hoping that Tom Savini could at least get a(nother) cameo in this one. The POV angle seems appealing, especially that the killer will only be displayed as such. I'm really hoping for some creepy, gritty Poughkeepsie Tapes-style scenes. Aja is certainly a good choice to direct this remake, and he has proven himself easily capable of adapting others' works for modern times. I just wish that we'd begin seeing more of Aja's concoctions and less of his interpretations of other visionaries' works.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:09 PM
I love Aja as a director. I've not seen the original Maniac movie either. Having said this, I'm totally going to check this out - POV killings by Elijah Wood? Interesting as hell. Loved High Tension, Hills Have Eyes 2006, Mirrors and Piranha. This guy is gold IMO.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm excited to see Aja directing this. Think Maniac is a perfect choice for a remake. GREAT potential here.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:42 AM
I dig the original. I dig Aja. Hell, I love all his flicks sans Mirrors. This is interesting news but I do wish he'd do something original now.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 View Post
I dig the original. I dig Aja. Hell, I love all his flicks sans Mirrors. This is interesting news but I do wish he'd do something original now.
Was Mirrors original or actually a remake? I know that it was based off of a Japanese film of some sort, but I heard that the inspiration was so loose that it hardly counts. Not that it really even matters. I wasn't too impressed with Mirrors regardless, which sucks because I'd love to see Kiefer Sutherland in a great Horror vehicle.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Love the original and Joe Spinell. He has to be rolling in his grave. Elijah Wood and Moe Szyslak from The Simpsons? No thanks!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:21 AM
TEASER TRAILER:
http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/n...teaser-trailer

You can tell it's a rough cut, but sue me, I'm intrigued.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:17 AM
From the get go I didn't like the idea - I've enjoyed some of the remakes spit out admittedly, but, sorry - this looks like shit. Joe Spinell, we apologize.