Old 10-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Hollywood is dead... Long live hollywood !?

Hollywood is a tired old whore being sucked dry by the corporate world and an outdated, disgusting studio system which relies on moneyhats looking at spreadsheets of numbers which dictate the outcome of a movie. Tinseltown is shooting blanks so badly that it makes my balls ache and too many of us keep coming back for more in the hope that we catch a glimpse of the golden years but it's now getting to the point where even the odd glimpse of glory gets dragged down by the ever expanding mountain of shit.

Yes, this thread is not a love story!... Or maybe it is and if so, it is one of the bitter kind where the boy doesn't get the girl. This thread is about the bile that keeps oozing out of the orifices of something that was once a dream factory.

I've been a film buff pretty much as long as I remember ( yeah! just like Ray Liotta wanted to be a gangster as long as he could remember ). Most of my film experience came from Hollywood, even at a young age when I was still living in my home country of Finland. There were periods of pure gold when it felt as if Hollywood could do nothing wrong, almost as if every film that came out was worth a watch! There were also periods of depression ( mainly during the depression ) when you had to dig a little bit deeper for those golden nuggets of entertainment.

Never do I recall it being this bad though. It is almost as if Hollywood has gone full on safeguard mode. Horror film remake after a remake to earn a quick buck and the few unique ideas that may surface get butchered by the studios. If one good idea slips through then that is immediately raped by a fuckton of sequels ( see the Saw films for example ).

Superhero films coming out of every crack! I was thrilled when I first learned that films like Blade or X-men were coming out both of which were based on Marvels comic books. I was never into comics but I knew of X-men and Marvel and the fact that Blade was a more adult orientated film had me curious from the word "go!" and at the time it didn't disappoint. Fast forward to the not too distant future and we have these superhero franchises being rebooted ? what the fuck!?

It was only yesterday I was sat in the cinema watching Spiderman on its premiere and now its already being rebooted ? Why ? Because the original creative force behind the first 2 films had the common sense to bow out and move on before shit gets stale and boring ?... oh wait... shit did get stale and boring in the 3rd instalment of the original franchise! Yet the studios went and rebooted that anyway???

You might think that I've only been watching films from the past 10 years seeing I'm picking on horror remakes and superhero flick reboots. Reason I'm doing this is because this is where I feel things began to go horribly wrong at an alarming pace because when you push out a film about The Hulk, which does pretty poorly mainly because it was a pretty shit film yet you feel that the ( non-existent ) "franchise" needs a reboot but just call it The INCREDIBLE Hulk will somehow make it all better and make people forget the original film. When you and by "YOU" I mean Hollywood studios reach this point then wouldn't you think its time to admit that you're kinda grasping at straws ?

I just took a break from writing this, went downstairs for a smoke and a white cat appeared from the shadows of the night and looked at me funny. Its not important... or it could be... nevermind.

If I see another trailer/TV Spot for a rom-com where the voice over goes along the lines of:
Quote:
He was a hot shot lawyer... she was a stumbling waitress... against the odds they met in a park and had the most awesome sex in a bush but then their friends told them it will never work... yet it did!
... I will probably murder a bagful of kittens, no not really but that best describes how I feel when I see that shit during ad breaks.

I decided to watch G.I Joe Retaliation on Netflix because I was in the mood <READ: Drunk!> for some good old fashioned guilty pleasure shit but I wasn't prepared for the trap I sprung on myself. This film was just beyond a lot of crap I've laid my eyes on which in all honesty was to be expected but for the life of me I couldn't even figure out the target audience! The Expendables was what the G.I Joe films should have really been, utter shit but at least honest, self-aware shit although The Expendables 2 was just tragic in many ways.

I was in bed the other night, struggling to get sleep so I decided I'd flip through the channels to see what's on the TV and I saw Waterworld was on so I thought: Great! That'll make me fall asleep in no time... But much to my horror I actually realised that Waterworld is a pretty decent fucking film! Especially by todays standards. Yea ok Kevin Costner drinks his own piss at the start of the film. Granted, not the strongest opener but I choose Kev's piss over Captain America's Total Wipeout style obstacle course action scenes any day.

This is a mere slice of my outlook on modern film. A collection of random rants which in all fairness I should have probably posted in the rants section but I thought I'd stick it here to hopefully generate some chatter. If you feel like I do, cool! drop your thoughts here. If you disagree with my thoughts, hell! even better! convince me to watch some current films, mainstream or not.

In conclusion, Hollywood is severely ill and its up to us to revive it. Instead of seeing the latest blockbuster which hasn't even busted a single block yet, see if there's something else playing that might be a little bit out of your comfort zone ( unless its a film about a lawyer and a waitress shagging in a bush! ).

I'd hate to see a world where the only reason to go to a cinema is to go experience some kind of 3D- thrill ride. Cinemas are for movies first, experiences 2nd and at the heart of a good movie are good basics of storytelling. Television has understood this, we live in an age where we can see programs like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Band of Brothers, The Walking Dead and so on. All of these programs are much loved because they do not underestimate the viewers intelligence and they aren't tied to the studios and their business models. I'll much rather sit at home in the evening and watch one of the afore mentioned TV shows than spend a penny sitting in a theatre watching some 90 minute fluff filled extravaganza trying to pass itself as a movie.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Hollywood just follows the money, and always has. We created Hollywood of today. Fans over hyping and swarming anything that reeks of nostalgia is something Hollywood quickly took notice of. This crazed nostalgic fanboy culture started with The Phantom Menace, where nostalgia was used heavily in the marketing.

There is an old saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", and there is nothing squeakier than fanboys these days. The internet gave them a very loud voice. A large majority of online critics & movie news sites just are fanboys who made a career out of being fanboys. IMDB is nothing but fanboys & trolls, and IMDB has now become an important tool in Hollywood. The fanboy's voice is pretty much all that is heard anymore.

Fanboys kind of run the show. And Hollywood has always pandered to those that run the show.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Yup I agree.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:44 AM
I agree with a lot of what you said. Maybe it's just that I first started to really fall in love with cinema during the '90s, but I've had similar experiences to the one you had with Waterworld. I haven't watched that movie since it came out, but I've found myself flipping the channels on a few occasions and stopping on some '90s action movie that I remembered being bad, only to leave it on for a bit and discover that it's actually pretty damn watchable by today's standards. I'm sure nostalgia has something to do with it, and maybe it is me just glorifying that era in my head for whatever reason, but I'd take the shitty action flicks and comedies of the '90s over 90% of superhero movies and rom-coms released over the past decade.

Even independent movies aren't really what they were in the '90s. It seems to me that they're made for different reasons nowadays (i.e. for awards). I mean, nothing against Silver Linings Playbook, but that movie had no business competing at the Independent Spirit Awards last year. It had a huge unfair advantage based on the prestige of the cast, director, and -- especially -- the producer. That wasn't so much an independent movie as it was just a low-budget studio movie. Maybe it qualified for the Independent Spirit Awards based on its budget, but I'm pretty sure that didn't take into account all the money Weinstein spent on campaigning the movie for Oscar season, which most of the actual independent movies last year didn't have.

Not to sound like a snob, but most of the best movies being made right now are being made far outside the Hollywood system, and that means faux-indies made under a Hollywood umbrella aren't in that category.

Last edited by Tkeyjw; 10-30-2013 at 12:47 AM..
Old 10-31-2013, 09:12 AM
hollywood is dead , it shows with the lack of quality in action movies, A LA 80's era early 90's, where we had great music composers to accompany the films, they just don't do those anymore....!!
Old 11-02-2013, 11:56 AM
I felt it was time to revive this thread, since there's plenty that could be said about the topic...

My main problem with Hollywood films nowadays is their over-inflated budgets. Take The Lone Ranger as an example. I haven't seen it yet, and I've heard everything from it being either a fun action movie a pile of crap.

But then you learn that the film cost 200 million dollars to make. And it makes me wonder, did you really need to spend so much? There was no conceivable way that movie was going to make its money back at the box office or become a hit, unless the entire world went to see it. Twice.

Hollywood is spending way too much money on these movies, and you know it's not really necessary; plenty of great movies have been made for much less. In the case of Ranger, I wouldn't be surprised if half the budget went to paying Johnny Depp's salary.

With movies costing so much, if they don't break bank in their first week, then they're pretty much doomed: out of theaters in a matter of days and unable to find an audience. And so many blockbusters are being made and released so quickly that it tends to get crowded, not to mention boring: how many times can we see buildings blowing up?

As a result, studios tend to play it safe and make stuff that they know will make money; they're spending so much, they need to make a profit no matter what. If you ask me, this business model is about ready to collapse any day now.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM22 View Post

As a result, studios tend to play it safe and make stuff that they know will make money; they're spending so much, they need to make a profit no matter what. If you ask me, this business model is about ready to collapse any day now.
Yep. Hasn't this year been complete shit for studios so far? Studios like Sony have banked on a couple of major movies during the summer (White House Down, Elysium) and they all flopped.

Things are not looking good for Hollywood's business model and I'm thinking implosion is eminent.

I have so much to say on this subject matter, pretty much agree with the OP. There's like maybe 5% of movies that squeeze out of the Hollywood system with some true cinematic merit. Everything else is garbage.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM22 View Post
Hollywood is spending way too much money on these movies, and you know it's not really necessary; plenty of great movies have been made for much less. In the case of Ranger, I wouldn't be surprised if half the budget went to paying Johnny Depp's salary.

With movies costing so much, if they don't break bank in their first week, then they're pretty much doomed: out of theaters in a matter of days and unable to find an audience. And so many blockbusters are being made and released so quickly that it tends to get crowded, not to mention boring: how many times can we see buildings blowing up?

This is a great addition to the thread. Many high profile actors in Hollywood are treated like overpaid divas in the sense that the last name of an actor will rake in the bucks. It's not far from the world of sport where you have NHL/NFL/NBA or even worse... European soccer stars who demand astronomical amounts of money just to show up to a game and do a few rounds around the venue but who ultimately give sub-par performances. Of course in Hollywood, if an actor receives negative critique from their performance, someone somewhere or even the actor him/herself can always shift the blame on the director or the entire production team.

Here's another thing that really bugs me. Hollywood's obsession of the PG-13 rating. I often get the feeling that a film was aimed at mature audiences but they compromised on mature themes to make it more accessible to "ALL" audiences just to make more money. Then when the film is out on DVD/BR you get something called an "Extreme Uncut-Version" which usually has some digital blood added to it. This is something I think I've ranted about before but it still pisses me off.

When Die Hard 4 went PG-13 I knew it was all over because the franchise was never shy to spill blood with a touch of profanity on the side. I'd say the franchise was the last semi-mature action franchise before the 21st century cash cows came about. So now we get TV style violence where lots of people get killed with next to no blood to be seen and then comes the revelation! The end bit where McClane points his gun at the baddie and every action movie fan around the world expects for the legendary line now because it hadn't been said yet and then it comes!... "Yippee - kay - yay - mother **** ... WHAT!!?? the "fucker" part gets drowned in sound effects because apparently the little kiddywinks who snuck into the cinema might lose their sleep or something when the word >FUCK!< is said on screen. Yeah these are the same brats who came into see some unnamed terrorists get thrown out of windows and shot to shit ( albeit with no blood ) and now the word "fuck" is all of a sudden a bad thing!?

Yeah ok, I know the American ratings system can be a bit funky at times but I don't wish to criticise that even though I should but what I do want to criticise is the way the studios work with it. Films today are just too fucking predictable in the way they dish out their mature themes, it's almost like "ok, we can have x amount of blood, y amount of tits and z amount of naughty words!"

[<insert directors opinion here> : But I want all of those AND an r amount of pubic hair

Studio goes: Sorry bro! then you have to toss out so and so much of profanity and/or violence in order to get the pubes!

What does it fucking matter!? I just watched V/H/S on Netflix and that thing had gore, profanity, and full frontal nudity and all is well! Life goes on! Yeah the film was ok'ish at best but at least it had the balls to give us these things and no I don't expect tits, profanity, pubes and gore from every film I see ( although I wouldn't mind ) but the point is that why in this day and age does there need to be all these trade-offs ? I saw a comedy in Finland back when I was around 13 or 14, the film was rated 12 and it had full frontal male nudity, tits and profanity and its not a whole lot different in other European countries so why are American's or more importantly the MPAA and studios so damn sensitive !? Because of the bucks and Jesus, that's all I can think of.

See that's just another area where Hollywood went wrong, when they went all PG-13 on us. Everyone was pumped about the first Alien vs. Predator film, it was the monster film we always wanted but then it went all soft on the gore although the films weaknesses lie way beyond the lack of gore but still. Then along comes the sequel and we even get a red-band trailer that dishes out all the gore but once the film was out, everyone and their cousins saw that the makers forgot to add a decent film into the mix and it was another sub-par horror flick with aliens and predators thrown into the mix.

I could sit here all night and give examples but then you'd probably be even more bored so I'll stop here for now. Next time I'll add to the thread I'll be sure to write about a few good films just to balance the scales.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:30 AM
this obsession with the pg13 rating is the prime reason why we don't see quality erotic thrillers, psycho thrillers, like basic instinct or R rated action movies etc.. atmospheric thrillers are only a handful this decade.