Old 02-03-2012, 02:39 AM
Spoiler:
When he is lining up the wallets and going through them, I teared up. When Ottway gets to his and we finally know that his wife has died, it's just heartbreaking. This man has been through so much and to end it here is tragic. What brings the scene together is the delivery of the live and die on this day speech (again), in it's final delivery you know he's going to fight one hell of a last fight because that's all he can do and he isn't going to welcome death anymore. He is going to stand up one final time.

I found this film to be emotionally taxing. It had a grim overtone and I found the way the characters were handled was really a reflection on life, death, faith, and how far a man will go to stave off his inevitable end. This was a fantastic film worth seeing on the big screen.

I'd give it 9/10. I would have to re-watch it to see if it will continually deserve such a high rating, but for now and on the first viewing I really was involved with the story and performances. I almost hate to say I enjoyed the movie because it's not an enjoyable movie, it's an exceptional movie, but it wasn't fun. It got to me..I'll say that. I hope that makes sense.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:51 PM
I loved this movie!! One of the best movies I have seen in a very long time. Liam Neeson was great in it.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=jz68;3509662]
The only thing that bothered me was that
Spoiler:
after falling in the river, Ottway wouldn't have lasted 20 minutes in the wet clothes. They should have included a scene of him building a fire and drying his clothes. I almost wonder if there was a scene that was cut since he's no longer wearing the heavy coat in the next scene.

I think there had been quite enough campfire scenes by that point; we could figure it out.

I though this was great. I had no problem with the end, other than the fact I knew what was coming because it was featured in every ad for the movie. But if you have any fears of any kind, don't see this movie (Fear of: flying, isolation, heights, water, etc.). Just about the only fear that wasn't tackled was arachnophobia.

The ending sequence was amazing, as was the "looking at the sky" (where you swear you can barely hear a helicopter). His response was perfect: "Fuck it. I'll do it myself."

It's a heavy, rough movie, but worth seeing.

9/10
Old 02-16-2012, 08:27 PM
I had planned on seeing this yesterday.
But I changed my mind at the last minute.
I guess I wasn't in the mood for a survival film of sorts.
So, it's definitely worth seeing at the cinema, fellaz?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:23 AM
I liked The Grey, but didn't love it. It brought an interesting concept with an interesting lead character, but the supporting roles were one note and their fates were predictable as hell. There were plenty of suspenseful scenes, whether it was wolves attacking, the plane crash, or simply the characters trying to survive the elements. The wolves made for some scary adversaries throughout the movie and it seeing the wolves enter the scene kept me on edge and wondering what was coming next. I'm not sure what to make of the ending; the movie seemed incomplete with the ending that was given and I'm not sure if I understand it or like it. Either way, it's a good movie with Liam Neeson rocking, as usual, with a decent supporting cast. There are plenty of tense moments that keep the movie moving and interesting.

7/10
Old 02-21-2012, 04:16 AM
So disappointing

I was pretty excited when I seen the trailer for this movie. I was reminded of Frozen which I actually enjoyed. Could have been better, but the thought alone to me of this happening to people made me like it. But I keep hearing such horrible things about this one that I don't want to watch it and be disappointed by it if it blows balls like it's been suggested.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:40 PM
I loved the movie. I think the scene with Diaz by the creek is my favorite. The ending was exactly what it needed to be, but I understand the desire for more. It's an excellent meditation on hope.

Of course, this would have worked as a straight action movie, too. I can't help but think I would have been just as happy if the film ended with Neeson raising an army of wolves and crowning himself king of Alaska. He would then live out the rest of his days protecting the wilderness from poachers with his animal friends.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Lots of complaints about this movie but this has to be my favorite movie of the year so far. I've seen it five times already. Liam Neeson is just awesome!

My website: Köpa Silver
Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Just watched this last night. Loved it, alot. Neeson owns.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 PM
I really felt like this was the type of movie we hadn't seen in a while. It was like JAWS, except in winter and with wolves.

The things I loved most was Carnahan's directing. This film had STYLE, man. When they're huddled around the campfire, and you hear a growl... then a set of eyes glows int he darkness... then a dozen more. It's terrifying. And its an AWESOME shot.

I kept saying, "This - THIS - is cinema."

And it's been missed. 9/10
Old 05-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
I really felt like this was the type of movie we hadn't seen in a while. It was like JAWS, except in winter and with wolves.

The things I loved most was Carnahan's directing. This film had STYLE, man. When they're huddled around the campfire, and you hear a growl... then a set of eyes glows int he darkness... then a dozen more. It's terrifying. And its an AWESOME shot.

I kept saying, "This - THIS - is cinema."

And it's been missed. 9/10
The great thing about it was

Spoiler:
all of them we're an enemy to themselves. They had to fight from within in order to survive. That's what I got the most out of it, especially with the scene with Diaz near the end.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gunslinger View Post
The great thing about it was

Spoiler:
all of them we're an enemy to themselves. They had to fight from within in order to survive. That's what I got the most out of it, especially with the scene with Diaz near the end.
They did the exact same thing the wolves did. The alpha - Neeson - was challenged by the others, especially whats-his-name. Out here, they're all animals.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:37 PM

I have watched this over movie2k online and no doubt this is awesome