#1  
Old 01-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Robert Redford: Hypocrite

I have always enjoyed Redford's movies for the most part but man he is a hypocrite. He calls out the 1% at Sundance during his opening speech....meanwhile he is speaking to a crowd of multimillionaire celebrities surrounded by corporate sponsorship out the ass. Complaining about the 1% while celebrating it at the same time is just amazing. Although not quite as bad as Michael Moore, he should really think before giving speeches condemning a lifestyle he obviously has no problem living in.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...elebrities-is/


If he wants to protest the 1% that is fine but he should really protest it, give his wealth away and get out of Hollywood. End Sundance, or at least pay for it all himself while letting real independent filmmakers in fully sponsored.

Since this topic will have some debate I want it to be known that I have no issue with people protesting the 1% or with most of what has gone down during the Occupy movement. I just have a problem with the man being a hypocrite.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-24-2012, 10:58 AM
I am right here with you on this.

.
I want to see him give the government some money and pay more in taxes. You can do that if you want. Put your money where you mouth is Rob.

Or better yet.... Run for office. Do something about it. If he feels strongly enough to say stuff, he should make the effort to do something about it. I am sick of these Hollywood elite assholes talking a bunch of shit and do nothing about it.


If I lived in LA again and did not have a real job or family (yes, I am ripping most of the occupiers) I would occupy the Chinese Theater in Hollywood, because I am against $11 and $16 movies, $11 popcorn and coke, and all these elite uber rich actors and actresses who make tons of dough and make stupid speeches.

Last edited by Erroneous; 01-24-2012 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Movie ticket prices and popcorn prices have nothing to do with how much actors make.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Or better yet.... Run for office. Do something about it. If he feels strongly enough to say stuff, he should make the effort to do something about it. I am sick of these Hollywood elite assholes talking a bunch of shit and do nothing about it.
Everyone has the right to protest our government. Are 300 million americans supposed to run for a government position just because they want to get something changed?
Also, running for a government position isn't very effective. Even if you do get elected...
The problem with trying to change a system FROM WITHIN a system, is that you won't change the system. The system will change you...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Found this and thought of Redford.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=05e_1327419749
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Movie ticket prices and popcorn prices have nothing to do with how much actors make.
If actors didnt require 20 million a flick, the lease theaters would have to pay on the film would drop and ticket prices would reflect this, concessions would still be a rip off I am sure but what an actor makes does have a ripple effect on ticket pricing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Movie ticket prices and popcorn prices have nothing to do with how much actors make.
The inflated costs of movie making has EVERYTHING to do with the cost of tickets and concessions
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Not really. Definitely not popcorn prices. Popcorn prices are as a high as they are because the movie theaters don't actually get much money from ticket sales so they have find other ways to make money which is why popcorn, soda, etc. is so damn expensive.

But I don't feel remotely sorry for people who bitch about the high prices. That's because they buy it anyways. If people really want to protest they would stop buying the stuff. Eventually, that would force the movie theaters to lower the prices. But people don't really seem to realize that.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
Everyone has the right to protest our government. Are 300 million americans supposed to run for a government position just because they want to get something changed?
Also, running for a government position isn't very effective. Even if you do get elected...
The problem with trying to change a system FROM WITHIN a system, is that you won't change the system. The system will change you...
I disagree. Ask all those Tea Party people. They are mostly reg non politcal people who ran and won.

Redford has plenty of money and time. He is not protesting. He is making statements. he is in the position to do something about things where people like you and me can not. If he really cared, he would run. He can be a mayor like Eastwood or Governor like Arnold or congress like that Nebraska coach.

Lots of regular people run for local government every year. Government is more than just President and congress. Localm State, Federal. Lots of positions to fill. Board of Ed.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Not really. Definitely not popcorn prices. Popcorn prices are as a high as they are because the movie theaters don't actually get much money from ticket sales so they have find other ways to make money which is why popcorn, soda, etc. is so damn expensive.
Yes, exactly. Studios steal have a planned way of stealling all the money from theaters with the process they have in place now. As a result, because they theaters need money too, they have high popcorn prices. Theaters should make more than they do. Less inflated production costs woudl help a lot.

Quote:
But I don't feel remotely sorry for people who bitch about the high prices. That's because they buy it anyways. If people really want to protest they would stop buying the stuff. Eventually, that would force the movie theaters to lower the prices. But people don't really seem to realize that.
I agree with you.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
If he really cared, he would run. He can be a mayor like Eastwood or Governor like Arnold or congress like that Nebraska coach.

Lots of regular people run for local government every year. Government is more than just President and congress. Localm State, Federal. Lots of positions to fill. Board of Ed.
And like I said before, running is the worst thing someone could do. Even if they get elected, they'll make little change if any at all. So what's the point? A singular politician couldn't make a difference. Everyone needs a party to stand behind them. If you're a conservative and you have one liberal viewpoint, guess what? Your party will abandon you. And vise versa.
Towing the party line is almost a necessity. And very few people who actually 'care' wish to do that.
Tell me a few 'major' changes Eastwood or Arnold made? And compare that with changes the previously installed mayors and governors made...

Like I said before, trying to change a system from within won't change the system, the system will change you.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
And like I said before, running is the worst thing someone could do. Even if they get elected, they'll make little change if any at all. So what's the point? A singular politician couldn't make a difference. Everyone needs a party to stand behind them. If you're a conservative and you have one liberal viewpoint, guess what? Your party will abandon you. And vise versa.
Towing the party line is almost a necessity. And very few people who actually 'care' wish to do that.
Tell me a few 'major' changes Eastwood or Arnold made? And compare that with changes the previously installed mayors and governors made...

Like I said before, trying to change a system from within won't change the system, the system will change you.
I don't agree. I think if enough people want to change things, things can be changed. Look at the middle east. They had to protest, because they do not have elections or fair elections, but I made my point.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I don't agree. I think if enough people want to change things, things can be changed.
That's impossible. You can't say 'enough' people without putting a definitive number on it. What's enough? 1? 20? a million?

In order to incite substantial positive change, you have to have a large majority of people in agreement with each other. That isn't the case. And likely won't be the case for a long while.

Quote:
Look at the middle east. They had to protest, because they do not have elections or fair elections, but I made my point.
That's a radically different scenario. You do realize that change only happened because the US went over there and put a gun to their head to make things change?
It's not like the middle east was on a high road to recovery before we went in there fucking shit up.

Are you saying that there should be violent coup in this country? That in order for people to change things it has to be done with violence?

I don't understand what you're saying at all. Elaborate?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-27-2012, 12:13 AM
I'm really glad I discovered this board. Otherwise, I wouldn't know that popcorn and movie ticket prices are the most pressing issues on the nation's current agenda.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-27-2012, 01:45 AM
He still hasn't convinced me how massive budgets for big hollywood studio movies has anything to do with steep ticket and concession prices.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
That's impossible. You can't say 'enough' people without putting a definitive number on it. What's enough? 1? 20? a million?

In order to incite substantial positive change, you have to have a large majority of people in agreement with each other. That isn't the case. And likely won't be the case for a long while.



That's a radically different scenario. You do realize that change only happened because the US went over there and put a gun to their head to make things change?
It's not like the middle east was on a high road to recovery before we went in there fucking shit up.

Are you saying that there should be violent coup in this country? That in order for people to change things it has to be done with violence?

I don't understand what you're saying at all. Elaborate?
I don't know man. All I know is I keep reading stories how the Tea Party has hijacked America. I know they are mostly a grass roots thing and many of them got elected and have taken over the old school republican party. I am not a Tea party person, but I like some of the things they stand for. They have shown to me that people can make real change in DC.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump