#1  
Old 02-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Overpopulation: Fears, Concerns, Discussion

I apologize if this topic has been buried somewhere in the annals of the Misc. NON-MOVIE TALK forum, but I was unable to uncover such a previous thread.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this topic for some time now and since I've had some rather interesting discussions with friends and individuals that I admire, I thought this might be ripe for discussion right here on the boards.

Here's some news articles on the subject:

"Over-population: the global crisis that dare not speak its name" by Jonathon Porritt
"The world's biggest problem? Too many people" by Mary Ellen Harte and Anne Ehrlich
"Carrying Capacity Reached: The Need for Population Stability"



Thoughts? Speculations? Discuss!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Rubbers should be discounted. Then there's no excuse
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Pretty much. China and India themselves count for what? Like 2/7 or 3/7 of the worlds fucking population in those countries alone?

My motto is this:

Just because you CAN breed, does not mean you SHOULD!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Pretty much. China and India themselves count for what? Like 2/7 or 3/7 of the worlds fucking population in those countries alone?
Yes. But also remember that both of those races aren't just limited to their own countries. Where I live it's difficult to see non-asians anymore. They are everywhere, and breed like rabid rabbits. It's a bit too much at times. Aussies don't go over to China or whatnot and breed like rats. Why do they have to come over here in plague proportions? I am all for variety, but it's gotten way out of hand here. All their shops are the same as well. Sushi shop, phone shop, junk shop..repeat a gazillion times. Yawn. Boring. In Brisbane city there are so many asian fone shops, that it's a fucking joke. How many do we damn well need? Jeeez. And I don't care if I am sound racial. Other people would say the same thing if they're country was being over run by foreigners. And that's my main point here. Not the fact that most of them are of asian decent or whatever. A couple of my friends are asian. I like them. But I don't want a billion of them on my doorstep breeding like rabbits. Or anyone else for that matter. But there should be a limit when they come over here. I am sure that Obama can fix all of this shit... lmao


Last edited by God of War; 02-04-2012 at 11:53 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-04-2012, 11:56 PM
http://overpopulationisamyth.com/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-05-2012, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Pretty much. China and India themselves count for what? Like 2/7 or 3/7 of the worlds fucking population in those countries alone?


Just because you CAN breed, does not mean you SHOULD!
Unfortunately common sense ain't very common.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
That was extremely easy to understand and very informative. I remember reading something like this a few years back,i've never been really freaked out by overpopulation,but i subscribe that the world could always use one less man.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Yes. But also remember that both of those races aren't just limited to their own countries. Where I live it's difficult to see non-asians anymore. They are everywhere, and breed like rabid rabbits. It's a bit too much at times. Aussies don't go over to China or whatnot and breed like rats. Why do they have to come over here in plague proportions? I am all for variety, but it's gotten way out of hand here. All their shops are the same as well. Sushi shop, phone shop, junk shop..repeat a gazillion times. Yawn. Boring. In Brisbane city there are so many asian fone shops, that it's a fucking joke. How many do we damn well need? Jeeez. And I don't care if I am sound racial. Other people would say the same thing if they're country was being over run by foreigners. And that's my main point here. Not the fact that most of them are of asian decent or whatever. A couple of my friends are asian. I like them. But I don't want a billion of them on my doorstep breeding like rabbits. Or anyone else for that matter. But there should be a limit when they come over here. I am sure that Obama can fix all of this shit... lmao

Wow, that's probably one of the worst things I've ever read on here.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post
Wow, that's probably one of the worst things I've ever read on here.
Why? Because it's true? Or because you don't like the way he worded his disdain for what's happening where he lives?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
A couple of my friends are asian. I like them.
Jesus fucking Christ...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Why? Because it's true? Or because you don't like the way he worded his disdain for what's happening where he lives?
+1,the world isnt all puppies and cotton candy,and skipping through grassy meadows with rainbows everywhere.

I have no problem with what GoW said,it wasnt racist or intolerant. It was probably the truth. When i lived near Detroit, it was the same situation GoW was speaking of, just with a different group of people. It was pretty annoying, let alone frustrating. Am i being racist or prejudice? Hell no, its just a pain in the ass, when more than half of them don't speak nor understand a lick of english.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-05-2012, 10:14 AM
My greatest fear about overpopulation is that more and more stupid people are breeding and the national standard for intelligence will decrease, as well as the room for jobs. Of course, even theoretically, this is a flawed, naive concern, but the question still lingers.

I really liked that Overpopulation Is A Myth video, Creekin'. Thanks for sharing that.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBateman View Post
+1,the world isnt all puppies and cotton candy,and skipping through grassy meadows with rainbows everywhere.

I have no problem with what GoW said,it wasnt racist or intolerant. It was probably the truth. When i lived near Detroit, it was the same situation GoW was speaking of, just with a different group of people. It was pretty annoying, let alone frustrating. Am i being racist or prejudice? Hell no, its just a pain in the ass, when more than half of them don't speak nor understand a lick of english.
God damned right. Just because you don't like seeing your city over-taken by a bunch of people that're too lazy to speak the language doesn't instantly make you racist. (but they CAN be lazy, they're ALLOWED to be lazy as you'll see what I mean in a minute).

At the same time, I fault this country for CATERING to those who DON'T have to learn the language in order to live here just as much as I would fault those who've come over illegally. Which in all honesty isn't too much.... There's no such thing as an "illegal alien" anymore, really. I don't give a shit what party's in office at any given time. For example, I live in AZ.... I used to hate the idea of "illegal" Mexican's jumping the border into the country here.

Now I don't fuckin' blame 'em one bit. I blame this country for doing absolutely fucking NOTHING to enforce the "illegality" of people entering by the means in which they do. I see it as if I were them, I'd wanna get outta their shit-hole country and try to make things better for me/family here if possible - especially since this country's government almost fucking encourages it! So yeah.... While I may have disdain for the current situation of things in general regarding this topic, I don't have disdain for the people themselves. It's more for the country and it's illogical fucking bullshit for allowing things to get like this in the first place.

At the same time, if I'm going to illegally try and move to France, I'd better fucking learn a good portion of their language and shouldn't expect that they'll cater to my inability to speak the primary language should I be too lazy to not learn to speak it.

Because why call it "illegal" anymore? And why should they have to "sneak" their way in still? I mean open the fucking gates for christ's sake, because your words are completely inconsistent with your fucking actions, america!

Last edited by jaw2929; 02-05-2012 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
I don't think the fears concerning over-population are quite as mathematical in nature as many of these videos seem to make them out to be. I understand the need to make those videos as simplistic as possible, in order to get the point across concisely, but each and everyone one of these videos entirely ignores the "human element".
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Holy shit there's a lot of racism in this thread. What's awesome is that none of the people complaining in this thread are the actual indigenous people of their respective countries.

Last edited by DaveyJoeG; 02-05-2012 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Holy shit there's a lot of racism in this thread. What's awesome is that none of the people complaining in this thread are the actual indigenous people of their respective countries.
I see the irony in the complaining, and im not trying to say i was here first or i dont want you here because you dont look like me. Thats not the case at all. Detroit and its northern suburbs are a melting pot of all different ethnicities,ive lived near them,around them and away from them. No issue with people of a foreign background living near me. My issue is that any of the normally convient places people go in there daily lives,grocery store,gas station,drug store,things like that, is that nearly 70-80% of the time if there was an issue,or a question,i got looked at like i was the dumbass because i spoke english,and it would usually add 10-20 minutes to an otherwise 5 minute in and out. Its not their fault,its a free country and if you "are" a U.S. citizen,then you have a right to be here,i guess im complaining more about a lack of middle ground or compromise,it does get frustrating after a while. Looking back i probably should of posted this first instead of what i did.

BTW the south Park GIF is awesome,but thats not what im about, everyone in this country came from somewhere else. But i assure you im not driving down the road shouting racial epipataths at every person who doesnt look like i do.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBateman View Post
I see the irony in the complaining, and im not trying to say i was here first or i dont want you here because you dont look like me. Thats not the case at all. Detroit and its northern suburbs are a melting pot of all different ethnicities,ive lived near them,around them and away from them. No issue with people of a foreign background living near me. My issue is that any of the normally convient places people go in there daily lives,grocery store,gas station,drug store,things like that, is that nearly 70-80% of the time if there was an issue,or a question,i got looked at like i was the dumbass because i spoke english,and it would usually add 10-20 minutes to an otherwise 5 minute in and out. Its not their fault,its a free country and if you "are" a U.S. citizen,then you have a right to be here,i guess im complaining more about a lack of middle ground or compromise,it does get frustrating after a while. Looking back i probably should of posted this first instead of what i did.

BTW the south Park GIF is awesome,but thats not what im about, everyone in this country came from somewhere else. But i assure you im not driving down the road shouting racial epipataths at every person who doesnt look like i do.
If you're an enlightened individual who values tolerance and equality your reaction to those posts would not have been "+ 1."
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Yes. But also remember that both of those races aren't just limited to their own countries. Where I live it's difficult to see non-asians anymore. They are everywhere, and breed like rabid rabbits. It's a bit too much at times. Aussies don't go over to China or whatnot and breed like rats. Why do they have to come over here in plague proportions? I am all for variety, but it's gotten way out of hand here. All their shops are the same as well. Sushi shop, phone shop, junk shop..repeat a gazillion times. Yawn. Boring. In Brisbane city there are so many asian fone shops, that it's a fucking joke. How many do we damn well need? Jeeez. And I don't care if I am sound racial. Other people would say the same thing if they're country was being over run by foreigners. And that's my main point here. Not the fact that most of them are of asian decent or whatever. A couple of my friends are asian. I like them. But I don't want a billion of them on my doorstep breeding like rabbits. Or anyone else for that matter. But there should be a limit when they come over here. I am sure that Obama can fix all of this shit... lmao

GoW do you realize that these sushi and phone shops will fail and close down if they have no customers? If they thrive then that proves there is a market for these shops and it's only going to help stimulate your local economy.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
If you're an enlightened individual who values tolerance and equality your reaction to those posts would not have been "+ 1."
I +1 to agree with Jaw2929's post, i am tolerant, but im also not sugarcoat the world to follow R.E.M.'s shiny happy people. I guess my initial reaction in my first post was kneejerk,but after a problem involving a cashier who didnt really seem to speak nor understand anything i was saying,charged my credit card twice,accidentally of course to the tune of $200 bucks,even though she tried to explain that she only had one receipt, it turned into an hour long ordeal. It got straightend out and all is good now, but still it was a pain in the ass.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
God damned right. Just because you don't like seeing your city over-taken by a bunch of people that're too lazy to speak the language doesn't instantly make you racist. (but they CAN be lazy, they're ALLOWED to be lazy as you'll see what I mean in a minute).

At the same time, I fault this country for CATERING to those who DON'T have to learn the language in order to live here just as much as I would fault those who've come over illegally. Which in all honesty isn't too much.... There's no such thing as an "illegal alien" anymore, really. I don't give a shit what party's in office at any given time. For example, I live in AZ.... I used to hate the idea of "illegal" Mexican's jumping the border into the country here.

Now I don't fuckin' blame 'em one bit. I blame this country for doing absolutely fucking NOTHING to enforce the "illegality" of people entering by the means in which they do. I see it as if I were them, I'd wanna get outta their shit-hole country and try to make things better for me/family here if possible - especially since this country's government almost fucking encourages it! So yeah.... While I may have disdain for the current situation of things in general regarding this topic, I don't have disdain for the people themselves. It's more for the country and it's illogical fucking bullshit for allowing things to get like this in the first place.

At the same time, if I'm going to illegally try and move to France, I'd better fucking learn a good portion of their language and shouldn't expect that they'll cater to my inability to speak the primary language should I be too lazy to not learn to speak it.

Because why call it "illegal" anymore? And why should they have to "sneak" their way in still? I mean open the fucking gates for christ's sake, because your words are completely inconsistent with your fucking actions, america!
I agree. Really.

About what Davey said with regards to indigeonous folk, I was about to say that here most of the indigenous population is a concern because of the fact nothing is being done by the government, and the indigenous people here know they can get away with practically anything they please and nothing is said about it, and when it is, there is this massive 'racial controversy' that is raised that is blown completely out of proportion. Which I imagine happens everywhere else in the world.

Also, just as an extra tidbit- to me racism is indiscriminate hatred (I realise the irony of that word in this context), but if you're racist, you hate another nationality/ethnicity BECAUSE they are that nationality/ethnicity without any other reason BUT to hate. That to me is what racism is. True, unfiltered, unreasoned hatred.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBateman View Post
I +1 to agree with Jaw2929's post, i am tolerant, but im also not sugarcoat the world to follow R.E.M.'s shiny happy people. I guess my initial reaction in my first post was kneejerk,but after a problem involving a cashier who didnt really seem to speak nor understand anything i was saying,charged my credit card twice,accidentally of course to the tune of $200 bucks,even though she tried to explain that she only had one receipt, it turned into an hour long ordeal. It got straightend out and all is good now, but still it was a pain in the ass.
That sucks, and I'm sorry to hear you had to deal with that shit; but that sounds like a specific example of one individual who was not proficient at their job. I don't think it's indicative of a larger problem at whole. The company who hired that employee and put them in that position is at fault, not the employee. Jaw2929 seemed to be supporting GoW's post which was shamefully broad and racist.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagia_Romero View Post
Also, just as an extra tidbit- to me racism is indiscriminate hatred (I realise the irony of that word in this context), but if you're racist, you hate another nationality/ethnicity BECAUSE they are that nationality/ethnicity without any other reason BUT to hate. That to me is what racism is. True, unfiltered, unreasoned hatred.
GoW's post was racist because he's focusing hatred towards an entire group of people for no good reason. He actually compares them to rabbits when it comes to mating habits. His only stated issue with them is that they're opening up shops and there are a lot of them. Like I said earlier, local shops are actually great for the local economy as opposed to (inter)national franchises swooping in and taking over. So I'm struggling with what his actual problem is with this group of people.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Let's all just chill out and watch "Do the Right Thing". Any takers ?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
GoW's post was racist because he's focusing hatred towards an entire group of people for no good reason. He actually compares them to rabbits when it comes to mating habits. His only stated issue with them is that they're opening up shops and there are a lot of them. Like I said earlier, local shops are actually great for the local economy as opposed to (inter)national franchises swooping in and taking over. So I'm struggling with what his actual problem is with this group of people.
Ahhh, gotcha, I personally don't have an issue with people who are taking the initiative to do something about their new life in another country, that's not what I was getting at, I was basically referring to how the government lets those who AREN'T doing something, or contributing or making an effort is unfair on everybody else because a lot of our money goes directly to those who laze about. And even that isn't limited to immigrants, it applies to everybody who doesn't get off their arse and do something to help the country along.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
That sucks, and I'm sorry to hear you had to deal with that shit; but that sounds like a specific example of one individual who was not proficient at their job. I don't think it's indicative of a larger problem at whole. The company who hired that employee and put them in that position is at fault, not the employee. Jaw2929 seemed to be supporting GoW's post which was shamefully broad and racist.
Yeah,thats why i was polite with the cashier and ask her to get the manager,despite my frustration i was cool headed,having moved from Detroit to Nashville ive seen blatant public racism,in situations lesser than mine. I must of misunderstood what Jaw 2929 was agreeing with, i was agreeing with his response to BCV,not with everything else. But i agree its not indicative of the bigger problem at a whole,its just another thing on the list of things that need to be addressed in tis country.


On a sidenote,arent you from the boston area davey? Whats your prediction for the game tonight?

NYG 31 NE30 gonna be another classic
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-05-2012, 04:25 PM
I believe PBateman WAS indeed agreeing with my response to BCV. I understand GOW's outlook and frustration with what's happening where he's at. I'm not going to say GOW is "wrong" for feeling the way he does. I'm also not going to say a specific grouping of people are "wrong" for taking advantage of this country's (or any country for that matter) inconsistancy. For further clarification, please read what I followed up with above.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagia_Romero View Post
Ahhh, gotcha, I personally don't have an issue with people who are taking the initiative to do something about their new life in another country, that's not what I was getting at, I was basically referring to how the government lets those who AREN'T doing something, or contributing or making an effort is unfair on everybody else because a lot of our money goes directly to those who laze about. And even that isn't limited to immigrants, it applies to everybody who doesn't get off their arse and do something to help the country along.
Exactly, which is why it's foolish to focus on just one race or group of people when it comes to stuff like this. All it does is cloud the real issue at hand.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PBateman View Post
Yeah,thats why i was polite with the cashier and ask her to get the manager,despite my frustration i was cool headed,having moved from Detroit to Nashville ive seen blatant public racism,in situations lesser than mine. I must of misunderstood what Jaw 2929 was agreeing with, i was agreeing with his response to BCV,not with everything else. But i agree its not indicative of the bigger problem at a whole,its just another thing on the list of things that need to be addressed in tis country.
BCV clearly had an issue with the racism in GoW's post, and Jaw2929 contested that, while I believe that BCV was completely valid in her criticism.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PBateman View Post
On a sidenote,arent you from the boston area davey? Whats your prediction for the game tonight?

NYG 31 NE30 gonna be another classic
Close, but I'm from that other B-city, Baltimore. I'm predicting it'll be a close game with New York coming out on top. Although I'm still bummed out about the Ravens' loss a couple weeks ago.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
I believe PBateman WAS indeed agreeing with my response to BCV. I understand GOW's outlook and frustration with what's happening where he's at. I'm not going to say GOW is "wrong" for feeling the way he does. I'm also not going to say a specific grouping of people are "wrong" for taking advantage of this country's (or any country for that matter) inconsistancy. For further clarification, please read what I followed up with above.
Thanks for the response, jaw. I don't really want to point my finger at GoW and say he's wrong and immoral. We all love GoW, in fact I love all of you and consider you to be my "internet buddies." I think a good friend will call you out on your bullshit instead of just rolling along with it, that's why I'm going on about all of this. I don't want to tell GoW to be ashamed, I'm just hoping to perhaps give him a different perspective on the apparent influx of Asians in his area. Maybe we can help him see the benefits of said immigration, such as boons to the economy, better tasting sushi, etc.

Last edited by DaveyJoeG; 02-05-2012 at 04:34 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Quote:
BCV clearly had an issue with the racism in GoW's post, and Jaw2929 contested that, while I believe that BCV was completely valid in her criticism.
I sure did. There's nothing wrong with expressing frustration with the way things have turned out.... On the same token, BCV expressed her disgust with which GOW had worded said frustration. There's nothing wrong with that either - but I'm going to say that what GOW said was true.

My agitation comes from the govt's lack of doing anything to stop it. Not with the people who've taken advantage of it.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Thanks for the response, jaw. I don't really want to point my finger at GoW and say he's wrong and immoral. We all love GoW, in fact I love all of you and consider you to be my "internet buddies." I think a good friend will call you out on your bullshit instead of just rolling along with it, that's why I'm going on about all of this. I don't want to tell GoW to be ashamed, I'm just hoping to perhaps give him a different perspective on the apparent influx of Asians in his area. Maybe we can help him see the benefits of said immigration, such as boons to the economy, better tasting sushi, etc.
Fair enough sir. That sounds good to me! I enjoy this Joblo community as well. Much appreciated Davey.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-05-2012, 05:01 PM
http://www.overpopulation.com/articl...texas-part-ii/

Quote:
Responding to criticism, the Sierra Club quickly took the page down and retooled it, defining efficient urban density as only 100 households per acre. But that’s still a population density of 153,600 people per square mile, or a density high enough to put every single man, woman and child in Texas almost 7 times. Forget Texas, the entire world population could fit in Virginia!
I don't really think overpopulation is the issue but discussing over consumption (or over consumption myth) is another entirely different but more relevant issue.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Fair enough sir. That sounds good to me! I enjoy this Joblo community as well. Much appreciated Davey.
Group hug!

Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
My greatest fear about overpopulation is that more and more stupid people are breeding and the national standard for intelligence will decrease, as well as the room for jobs. Of course, even theoretically, this is a flawed, naive concern, but the question still lingers.

I really liked that Overpopulation Is A Myth video, Creekin'. Thanks for sharing that.
That has been happening for quite a while now. Your concern is not flawed.
...
On a seperate note. Population is directly connected to food production/availability. As long as the amount of food produced continues to grow, relative to the population, so will the amount of people we share the planet with.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Mass firebombing + sterilizing those below a certain iq = profit.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Why? Because it's true? Or because you don't like the way he worded his disdain for what's happening where he lives?
I'm not debating the fact that there may/may not be a valid point nestled somewhere in GOW's post...but as it stands, it's just mindless, racist, massively offensive vitriol.

He compares a whole people to 'vermin' and plague at least 3 or 4 times in a couple of paragraphs.

Fucking horrible.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-05-2012, 06:13 PM
^ You say that, not knowing his plight...
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Well l feel that Australia is eventually going to be over populated we already have 22 million living in Aus
But the goverment want to increase our population to 36 million in the future


Already public transport is struggling with all the extra people we have at the mommnet and waht they want to do with trains is pull the seats out so there is extra space

Also when we go through droughts we only have a certain amount of waterin the dams to cater for the population
The 14 yr old drought we had not that long ago left us with around 2yrs worth of water left

So with alot of other concerns l think we should not be bringing in so many people plus the boat people should be sent back to where they come from because they cost money to fffd ect

I can tell yuo the way we are going is not good in my eyes
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-05-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm not sure how to take the overpopulationisamyth.com video. The world has been estimated to contain 7 billion in 2012, 6 billion in 1999, 5 billion in 1987, 4 billion in 1974, 3 billion in 1960, 2 billion in 1927, and 1 billion in 1804 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population).

Now, there's a 123 year gap between 1-2 billion, a 33 year gap between 2-3 billion, a 14 year gap between 3-4 billion, a 13 year gap between 4-5 billion, 12 years between 5-6 billion, and 13 years between 6-7 billion. The rate of growth has been steady since 1960 with growth approximately every 13 years (granted, this is just estimation), but I think this is a more serious issue than the site made it out to be. Primarily, the video states that some project that the population will peak in 25 years and then the population will begin to decrease by 1 billion every twenty years.

Some factors to consider: A) human beings are living much longer life spans. A decade ago, life expectancy was around 67 years and the last projected estimate a few years ago was approximately 79 years. I'm receiving an education in a highly scientific field that requires me to stay up to date on some of the most critical research and advancements in technology. What many people may not know is that technology is excelling at an exponential rate, which brings me to point B) Technology is on the forefront now that will allow individuals to live even longer. Synthetic organs and neural stimulation--the replacement on eyes to make the blind register their surroundings, etc.--the life expectancy rate is simply going to increase as more and more scientific breakthroughs occur. People are capable of living longer and healthier than ever before. C) With as many individuals as there are in the world, the average child per household numbers need to stay at an average of two children per household (assuming the family has two active parents) or less in order to sustain the status quo. I've looked at several U.S. reports online that report that the average American household contains approximately (or even less) than 1 child per household, but I'm not certain about the statistics around the world (particularly in areas where the population is thriving in its overall growth).

Additionally, I wonder what these experts think will cause this rapid decrease in population? With the scientific advancements argument, I think the contrary. More people are going to be living longer life spans. Unless we experience an epidemic or crisis or world war or see more governments institute stronger regulations regarding children per household (extremes like the One-Child Policy), what would cause such a decrease?

Last edited by FireCaptain4; 02-05-2012 at 07:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Well in China they have a one child policey

maybe we need to bring this type of thing in the future
I at the moment in Australia they want couples to have more children and geuss waht you get paid around 5 thousand dollars for doing this
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Well in China they have a one child policey

maybe we need to bring this type of thing in the future
I at the moment in Australia they want couples to have more children and geuss waht you get paid around 5 thousand dollars for doing this
The United States will never adopt a policy to limit the number of children...not with so many Christians that will hold strong to that "be fruitful and multiply" Bible verse...

...and I am disappointed in any cash incentive that encourages breeding.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump