Old 08-16-2012, 01:42 PM
SPOILER if you haven't seen last weeks episode yet. Pretty funny though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_fcd...layer_embedded
Old 08-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Police are looking to arrest Walter White on meth charges:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/polic...on-meth,83965/
Old 08-16-2012, 09:09 PM
I finally got a chance to catch up on the last two episodes. Nothing more to add other than that I'm just having my mind blown by how good this season is so far, really.

Spoiler:
Figured the kid would come across them as soon as they talked about the train robbery stuff (you can hear the train distantly at the beginning) but that didn't make the moment at the end any less shocking when it happened. Did not see Landry doing that.

Btw Darth,
Spoiler:
right on with you about Landry's storyline in Season 2 opener - Season 1 of FNL is/was my favourite season of television and Landry was my favourite character and that episode crushed me so much I didn't continue the show for years after that. Even then, I only watched about half of Season 2 but I'm gonna go back and continue pretty soon as I've heard the show redeems itself in Season 3-5.

And both episodes were brilliantly directed. Loved Rian Johnson's last work on the show (obviously since it's my display pic ) but it was a more unique, almost standalone episode. It was interesting to see what he would bring to one of the regular episodes of Breaking Bad and as everyone else said, the whole dinner scene was just haunting and perfectly done. That shot with Walt talking at the dinner table and Skyler with her back towards us reminded me a bit of Kiyoshi Kurosawa's creepy foreground/background compositions in Pulse - my eyes were glued to her out-of-focus back the entire time Walt was speaking, there was such an unsettling tension there. And then the pool shot after...brilliant.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:08 PM
So, the final episode of this half-season is titled Gliding Over All. The mini-synopsis reads as follows:

Quote:
Walt takes care of loose ends; Walt makes a dangerous decision.
As a character from some movie once said, I have a bad feeling about this.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
Btw Darth,
Spoiler:
right on with you about Landry's storyline in Season 2 opener - Season 1 of FNL is/was my favourite season of television and Landry was my favourite character and that episode crushed me so much I didn't continue the show for years after that. Even then, I only watched about half of Season 2 but I'm gonna go back and continue pretty soon as I've heard the show redeems itself in Season 3-5.
Yeah, without getting too off topic, I've been told it gets good again. I doubt it reaches the levels of Season 1 (I mean, not many shows peak that high) but I've been tempted to give it another shot, especially since I think it's on Netflix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailSafe View Post
Not sure if it's a spoiler since it's just speculation, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Hank asking Walt, Jr. if he wanted to watch Heat. You know, one of the greatest heist films of all-time. A film about a heist that goes horribly wrong when the new guy the usual crew brings along kills someone without permission, eventually leading to the downfall of the 'main' character...

Between that and both of the obvious Scarface references earlier this season, I'd say we're in for a wild fucking ride over these next 11 episodes.
I'm hoping all of these movies aren't directly foreshadowing what happens. That would be a little too predictable for Breaking Bad.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Is THIS the Sunday the end of the half-season? I thought we had two or three left...
Old 08-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
Is THIS the Sunday the end of the half-season? I thought we had two or three left...
Weve got three episodes left:

Buyout
Say My Name
Gliding All Over
Old 08-17-2012, 05:32 PM
For those that care, Bill Burr (Kuby) has a new stand-up special on Netflix. Burr is probably my favorite comedian behind Louis C.K., he's fuckin' hilarious

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 08-17-2012 at 05:34 PM..
Old 08-19-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
For those that care, Bill Burr (Kuby) has a new stand-up special on Netflix. Burr is probably my favorite comedian behind Louis C.K., he's fuckin' hilarious
Thanks for the heads up homie. I'll definitely be checkin it out

Can't wait for tonights episode. Should be insane
Old 08-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Aside from the movie being featured, what was the other "obvious" Scarface reference?

Quote:
I saw that and was debating on checking it out. Solid recommendation!
Old 08-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Hold up, what did Jesse say in that last scene? I missed the line.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:56 PM
The very last scene?
Spoiler:
Something like "Mr. White has a way to get us both our five million and keep his methylamine."

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed by a couple things. First of all, I expected far more immediate ramifications from Todd's actions. As it is,
Spoiler:
all three of them sorta just went along with it. Jesse had some reservations and all that, but that kinda seemed like obligatory hand-wringing. I thought there was gonna be more emotional fallout, I guess. Granted, I know shit like that is rarely instant on this show, things tend to pay out on a longer timeline, but I just thought it would be bigger.

My biggest complaint is not getting to see the moments immediately following Todd's shot. I spent the whole week imagining how each character would react in the moment, wondering who would say what and all that. Then when we find out in the opening scene that we just skipped past all that I felt a little let down. But that's more due to my expectations, I guess, than anything else.

Anyway, it was absolutely killer seeing Jesse sitting at the table with Walt and Skyler. When he did the "hell yeah I'm stoked for this lasagna!" speech I laughed, and then when Skyler said "did you tell him about my afair?" I went into a fit of laughter. Just the way Jesse reacted, shoving the water glass up to his face and looking almost freaked with awkwardness, sent me into hysterics. It's been a while since I laughed like that on this show, and it's something I didn't even realize I missed until then.

That scene and the ending made up for any disappointment. When Mike ushers Walter into the office and demands he sit down I couldn't help but get flashbacks to last season, when Walter goes into the laundry to find Mike waiting to kill him. When Walter was constantly frazzled and having to bend to the will of others. Then that look he has at the very end when Mike says "is that true, Walter?" That spoke volumes about where he is and how far he's come. Used to be that if you pointed a gun at Walter White's head he'd shit himself in abject terror, but now he's so confident (and rightfully so, it seems) in his cleverness that he smirks at it. I love it.

It's becoming clear that the season's teaser opening will not be arrived at during these eight episodes. Dang it. While it's awesome that they went into it with that long a focus, it's still gonna drive me mad having to wait a whole year to see what he's gonna do with that gun.

Last edited by Chillingworth; 08-19-2012 at 10:59 PM..
Old 08-19-2012, 11:45 PM
This business leads me to believe the opener has Walt on the run from the Phoenix crew.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillingworth View Post
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed by a couple things. First of all, I expected far more immediate ramifications from Todd's actions.
I agree. I wanted more about Todd's shooting, but it seemed the only immediate ramification was to make Jesse second guess his position and put things in perspective. It also gave us some insight into what kind of monster Walt has become, which led to Jesse wanting to break away. As Jesse was torn up by the news report, Walt was whistling while he worked like this was Snow White. That look at Jesse's face was priceless as he was leaving. I think that was pretty much the only purpose it served for now... but I expect Todd will come back and be important in the future.

Also, I loved the dinner scene as well. How Aaron Paul can go from these tense, emotionally draining scenes to outright comedy (on his part) continues to amaze me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillingworth View Post
It's becoming clear that the season's teaser opening will not be arrived at during these eight episodes. Dang it. While it's awesome that they went into it with that long a focus, it's still gonna drive me mad having to wait a whole year to see what he's gonna do with that gun.
Gilligan said that, unlike last season, he knows for sure the show is coming back. Last year, he didn't, so he had to leave with an ending that could lead to future things, or just be an ending for the entire series if necessary. Now, he's not burdened by that. So it's entirely possible (and likely) that there will be several loose ends at the end of this group of episodes. But I do think we'll see why he's on the run, and I think it has to do with this Phoenix deal going bad.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 08-20-2012 at 12:12 AM..
Old 08-20-2012, 01:04 AM
The dinner scene was so awkwardly awesome haha. God I love Jesse

Sucks that theres only 2 episodes left this year though

Last edited by echo_bravo; 08-20-2012 at 01:10 AM..
Old 08-20-2012, 02:48 AM

I would never come to the headquarters of our illegal meth operation dragging a bunch of cops, Walter. It would be unwise.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:35 PM

Spoiler:
Old 08-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
Aside from the movie being featured, what was the other "obvious" Scarface reference?
Not sure if you were referring to my post, but I wasn't talking about obvious Scarface references: I was talking about obvious movie references in general. There are obvious parallels to Walt and Scarface. Then in another episode, Hank mentiond watching Heat. I wonder if there is a parallel that can be drawn between Mike and De Niro's character. That would be the obvious one. I hope it's not the case, though.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Other than Walt watching Scarface, there was also the fact that he had a M62 (a variant of the M60) in his trunk during the cold open of the first episode.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:32 AM
I knew...

[spoiler]That someone was going to keep that spider. Except, I didn't know it was going to be so creepy. I thought Jesse was going to end up with it, ruminating about the kid. Now that Todd asshole has it as some kind of sick trophy and not only is he a bigger asshole now, he's also a bigger liability walking around with evidence.[/quote]

The dinner scene was hilarious. Walter was being creepy again though...

Spoiler:
sort of forcing everyone to sit together. It was one of those instances where Walt crosses a line that's further out there - asserting his dominance over both Skyler and Jesse. It just seemed extra ballsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
This business leads me to believe the opener has Walt on the run from the Phoenix crew.
I'm...

Spoiler:
Right there with you, sort of. I withdrew completely from thinking Walt is going to be the odd man out. It looks like he's going to pull Mike and Jesse to a finish line and try to, at the same time, take out his competition.

I'm starting to wonder if he's in Connecticut to finish off another rival. Like the Phoenix people are just a step toward him ending up there. They were a warm up.

I am starting to no longer think the cold opener indicates Walt was on the run. I think he's on the offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailSafe View Post
Other than Walt watching Scarface, there was also the fact that he had a M62 (a variant of the M60) in his trunk during the cold open of the first episode.
I thought the Scarface gun was an M16 - no matter, though, I didn't know the guns were related so closely but I did connect the two just on the basis on being BF'nGs!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 AM
That dinner scene is the kind of thing that makes me jealous as a writer. To Gilligan's A-Team I say well done, you brilliant fucks you.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Loved the subtlety of the whistling. It gives as much or more insight into this world than any set-piece action sequence or long explanatory dialogue could.

On what Walt is running from, you guys may wish to consider:

Spoiler:
Given the vast amount of films everyone here has watched, we have all pretty intuitively picked up on the fact that when characters throw something out there about themselves within the dialogue it is setting up for a payoff later. In this case I highly doubt Todd's comments about his prison connections were just a one-off -- they're definitely waiting for a payoff at some point. This may or may not wind up relating to Walt on the run, but it certainly seems a possibility.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Yeah, that whistling was so telling. It was unsettling.

The whole episode was pretty ace as usual. The opening hit me in the pit of my stomach. It was the first time I really looked down on everybody in the crew, including Mike. Kudos to Gilligan and crew for treating the death of the kid with real gravitas. It doesn't let the characters off the hook.

I also think the standout moment for me was seeing Walt burn off the zip tie. It made me squirm, it made me appreciate Walt's genius, and the action said so much about Walt as a person. He has always been willing to harm himself in order to win. That trait has been there since the first season when he walked into Tuco's office with mercury fulminate. I always love it when they reveal the characters through their actions than with their dialogue, such as Jesse awkwardly trying to bury his face in his glass of water at the dinner table. Or Mike leaving the DEA that little note. Or Skyler filling up her glass of wine. It's the little moments that make a "quieter" episode like this one stand out among the bigger events of the show.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:09 PM
A few notes: In the flashforward, Walt is in Albuquerque, hence him meeting up with Lawson. Also, according to Bryan Cranston from a Rolling Stone interview I read...
Spoiler:
Walt is not on the run from anyone, he's come back to the ABQ to protect someone. Let that simmer....
Also, according posters on my wikia, the song that Walt is whistling is "Lily of the Valley," by Queen.

Walt, you sick, sick fuck.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Also, according posters on my wikia, the song that Walt is whistling is "Lily of the Valley," by Queen.
If that's true... priceless.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:24 AM
Quote:
A few notes: In the flashforward, Walt is in Albuquerque, hence him meeting up with Lawson. Also, according to Bryan Cranston from a Rolling Stone interview I read...
Spoiler:
Walt is not on the run from anyone, he's come back to the ABQ to protect someone. Let that simmer....

Walt, you sick, sick fuck.

Another nice catch.

Is Gray Matter by chance located in New Hampshire?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
Spoiler:
sort of forcing everyone to sit together. It was one of those instances where Walt crosses a line that's further out there - asserting his dominance over both Skyler and Jesse. It just seemed extra ballsy.
Spoiler:
I actually saw that more as a tactical move on Walt's part, trying to get Jesse back in the game and on his side in a sympathetic "look, you see how pathetic my life has become?" kind of way. It's insane how quietly manipulative Walt's been of Jesse all season
Old 08-23-2012, 03:21 AM
Spoiler:
Take the money and run.With 5 Mil he can make some good investments and build an empire.Instead he is going to blow it
because he is still obsessing over that patent deal he was cut out of years ago.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
Hey xseanymacx, Vulture are running a Breaking Bad lookalike competition from the 27th of this month. I thought of you and your brilliant Halloween costume from a couple of years back...

https://www.facebook.com/notes/vultu...78555272164024
Old 08-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Ha! Good looking out! I will definitely be submitting to this!
Old 08-24-2012, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmKing2000 View Post
Spoiler:
I actually saw that more as a tactical move on Walt's part, trying to get Jesse back in the game and on his side in a sympathetic "look, you see how pathetic my life has become?" kind of way. It's insane how quietly manipulative Walt's been of Jesse all season

I see that and think both things are going on. He's asserting dominance over Skyler and at the same time further manipulating Jesse. I just can't figure out how much further over the top he can go at this point. He's gone mad with power. Thankfully Jesse seems to be figuring out his game. I just wonder if that means Jesse will graduate to a Skyer-like relationship, where Walt doesn't even give a shit about having sympathy.

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 08-24-2012 at 03:27 AM..
Old 08-24-2012, 08:21 PM
I gotta say, I motherfucking love, Love, LOVE Cranston this season, and how sublime and subtle the writing is for him this season. What I mean is; it's those quick, simple moments where Walt lets his ego slip, and then immediately covers it up by "We..." or "Us..." It's been apparent throughout the series, but this time around it's really showing, and I love that.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDFAYRtrYuk
Old 08-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Oh dear.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Saw it coming, but still...and all...
Old 08-26-2012, 10:11 PM
My favorite pre-credit opening yet. And once again, this show does not cease to blow me away.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Spoiler:

Old 08-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Spoiler:

(My thoughts on the final moments)
Old 08-26-2012, 11:13 PM
My Recap of tonight's ep:

Spoiler:
From "Say my Name" to "Mike's Death"
Old 08-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
Saw it coming, but still...and all...
Same. Knew it was gonna happen. Posted about it after the 2nd episode I think. But I was a bit surprised by HOW it happened. I wonder if Walt's remorse was legit or not. No reason to lie at that point, right? I kinda figured he would be more cold-blooded about it.