Old 07-15-2012, 10:17 PM

Spoiler:
Called it. Though it's an easy one. Ted's not dead baby, Ted's not dead

And we're back. Since a lot of the great moments this episode were ruined a bit by being prominently shown in the ads, I think I'm avoiding anything else for the rest of the series' run that might give away what I don't want to see coming.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:26 PM

Great premiere, except for one little thing that bugged me - Mike and Walt coincidentally playing chicken didn't work for me, despite looking cool. I'm willing to believe they could both end up barreling down the same road, except from what I can recall, Mike was still in Mexico... And why would Walt continue head on unless he was sure it was Mike (but even then). I may have missed something, but that scene felt off to me. Everything else, though, was fucking awesome. Especially liked that Ted isn't actually dead, which is surprising since I never really cared for his character. Seven more weeks, and then the long wait for the final eight.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:40 PM
That was fucking awesome. Man I love AMC for bringing us this series.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
Not sure why I'm using spoilers, but anyway...

Spoiler:
Walt will probably have to go on the run. It wouldn't surprise me. He's made enough enemies in this past year of his life. And the DEA could very well link him to the bombing at Casa Tranquila. And Jesse might somehow find out about Brock and/or Jane.

Yeah, this season's not gonna give me heart palpitations or anything...
Heh. Looks like I was right. I think...
Old 07-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FailSafe View Post
Great premiere, except for one little thing that bugged me - Mike and Walt coincidentally playing chicken didn't work for me, despite looking cool.
With how solid the series is, this is a non-issue for me. I can't even nitpick shit like that, you feel me?
Old 07-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Loved the premiere. The last scene/line was great.

Spoiler:
Also, when we see Ted, this is all I could think of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post
I'm with Cosmic and I'd love to see Teddy boy in a full body cast being fed hot soup through a straw...so much more fulfilling.

Last edited by Bourne101; 07-15-2012 at 10:49 PM..
Old 07-15-2012, 10:50 PM
I haven't read anything yet since my last post but I just came in here to say that...

my internet connection needs to work faster.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
With how solid the series is, this is a non-issue for me. I can't even nitpick shit like that, you feel me?

I wouldn't say it took away from my enjoyment of the episode, but in a show where every moment feels natural and earned, that felt a bit too contrived for me in the context of the show (although I had seen it twice already when I watched the Comic Con trailer, so that may have had something to do with it).
Old 07-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Sneak peek at the next episode, "Madrigal": http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/vi...g-bad-madrigal
Old 07-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Par for the course when it comes to this show. Glad it's back.

In my mind, they're playing with house money. If this season is not good, I'll just pretend it all ended with the explosion in Season 4 and wipe it from my mind like Eternal Sunshine.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:30 AM
Absolutely loved that episode. What an opener.

Putting into context - Season 4 was great overall but I had more reservations than most here about it especially in some of the character-work as well as it being the first season where I felt like the audience was occasionally ahead of the writers. I had no such qualms tonight.

Based on what other people here are saying, I'm really happy I didn't see any previews beyond a teaser that mostly showed last year's events. I was completely unspoiled for this episode. The character stuff was spot on - especially for Walt - and the writing, the dialogue, pretty much everything was perfect. Mike was full of his normal snark (although they almost went a bit overboard with that). That tone of controlled chaos that I love so much came through. And as usual, the show brought it on a whole other level visually. I am happy to say I have no idea where we go from here. And as we enter this final run, I feel the intensity of the show even more since I feel like anything really could go down at this point. I'm just happy the show's back. And I think the writers will pull the final act off.

Also - Michelle MacLaren episode next week. Fucking awesome since she's my favourite director on the series.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
Also - Michelle MacLaren episode next week. Fucking awesome since she's my favourite director on the series.
I saw that she was listed to direct for season three of Game of Thrones so I looked her up a few weeks back and found that she had directed two of my three favorite BrBa episodes, "4 Days Out" and "One Minute", so I'm pretty excited about next weeks episode. I skipped watching the preview for the next episode, but surely it has something to do with Gus' German associates.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:44 AM
I thought season 4 had a better premiere but this was still solid. The evidence room scene was the most memorable, it being very suspenseful. And Walt was definitely an intimidating presence in those last two scenes, especially that final line.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:55 AM
I love how much more in the frame Walter is, just in this first episode. You can tell so much by the subtleties in Cranston's acting - how confident he is in being this new character he has become.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:01 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ranston-347082
Old 07-16-2012, 02:17 AM
Very solid season opener.

Let the speculation begin as to how we as an audience end up at that opening scene..
Old 07-16-2012, 02:45 AM
Really enjoyed the episode. Very much in line with the relatively low-stakes starts (comparatively speaking) that this series has employed to kick off seasons in the past.

Interspersed humour, the return of Mike and the setting up of a possible new alignment of characters, as well as Walt throwing his weight around after finally taking his plunge into the Heisenberg alter ego were all things I liked about it.

Can't wait to see where things go from here. The flash forward raised a lot of questions.

Last edited by outsyder; 07-16-2012 at 02:51 AM..
Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Very pleased with the episode.

That teaser... Damn. Really happy to see Jim Beaver reprise his role from last season's 38 Snub. From the glimpse of the hardware in the trunk, it looks like Gilligan is truly setting up that Scarface-esque endgame. I doubt we'll see anymore of this future scenario until the last 8 episodes.

I'm excited by the prospect of Mike getting more screen time. All of his interactions with Jesse and Walt - pure gold.

Loved the magnet caper, with the truck leaning into the wall being the perfect, hilarious note to cap it off.

Chris Cousins (Ted) played the hell out of that scene in the hospital with Skylar. Did not expect her final response to his plea that he won't tell a soul... "good". Chilling.

Last edited by Delmont ; 07-16-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Old 07-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Need to give the premiere another rewatch since I was so stoned during it.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Loved the premiere. The last scene/line was great.

Spoiler:

haha, Kay's vision came true. We should feed her some ether and dictate her visions about future episodes.

What more is there to say about that premiere? It was perfect. What a better way to start off this season than with a heist episode? It was unexpected and a nice turn from how last season started. We got a great caper. And also hats off to Michael Slovis directing his first episode! This man has been the most consistent background player behind Vince Gilligan on this show. He did a kick ass job. He's the reason why this is the best looking show on TV. I agree that the stand off between Mike and Walt and Jesse felt a little out of place in the context of the episode, but I love how ballsy it was for them not to set it up. They just went with what best milked the tension out of that moment, and it was the right choice. They could've easily had the scene where Jesse calls Mike, Mike gets pissed and sounds like he's going to kill Walt, etc. That scene had the bonsai-like effect where they chopped that scene to its core. It's not entirely "real" but it's just what the show needs and has delivered before. Just like with Gus' final scene, the season 3 intro, or Mike's badass hitman skills in season 3.

Also...

Last edited by Cop No. 633; 07-16-2012 at 01:23 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 01:55 PM
EDIT: Found the ordeal online.

Last edited by oh-dae-su; 07-16-2012 at 02:40 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Skyler fucked Ted too hard and broke his penis, and also his back. How could you have forgotten that scene?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Awesome episode/opener, much has already been said already, loved the psedo-hiest scene.

It really feels like the writers know exactly where they are going now

Spoiler:
But was the opening scene like a flash-forward? I'm not sure how old Walt is now but it said he was 52, and another episode name is 51. From the looks of it, it seems like someone is coming to get him, since he just bought all those guns and seemed real distraught. Interesting little tease there.

Last edited by Bahs; 07-16-2012 at 03:16 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahs View Post

Spoiler:
But was the opening scene like a flash-forward? I'm not sure how old Walt is now but it said he was 52, and another episode name is 51. From the looks of it, it seems like someone is coming to get him, since he just bought all those guns and seemed real distraught. Interesting little tease there.
They did that with the plane crash in season 3 so its not the first time that they've done it.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-dae-su View Post
They did that with the plane crash in season 3 so its not the first time that they've done it.
Yeah That's I'm what figuring. Writers really know what they're doing
Old 07-16-2012, 07:32 PM
I bet 100 million dollars that the flash-foward scene is not what we are expecting it to be....this show is to smart for that.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:30 AM
A Heisenberg avatar with a Bane mask....well played Cautro, I just exploded in my pants.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:25 AM
'Breaking Bad' Season 5 premiere is most watched episode to date

By Patrick Kevin Day
July 16, 2012, 1:36 p.m.

For four seasons, Walter White has climbed to the top of the drug world and for "Breaking Bad's" final season, he's at the top of his game and at the top of the ratings. The fifth season premiere of the AMC series grabbed the show's biggest audience to date, with 2.9 million viewers.

That audience was up 14% from the previous season premiere and posted an impressive 34% increase in the coveted 18-49 demo. All told, the season premiere grabbed 3.5 million viewers, factoring in the encore airing later in the night.

The high rating is especially surprising considering that AMC was not carried by Dish Network on Sunday night due to a fee dispute. That was 14 million potential viewers without AMC. However, that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't see it. AMC streamed the season premiere online for Dish customers.

Though this is the final season for the Emmy-winning series, it doesn't mean it's going off the air soon. AMC has chosen to break the final season up into two segments airing nearly a year apart. After the current eight-episode airing, the last eight episodes will air in the summer of 2013.

Spoiler:
At the San Diego Comic-Con International over the weekend, series creator Vince Gilligan revealed that the show's final season will take place partially in Hamburg, Germany, home of the multinational corporation that helped fund the drug empire of White's (now-deceased) rival Gus Fring.

Despite the impressive ratings, "Breaking Bad" isn't the highest-rated show on AMC. That honor still goes to "The Walking Dead," which drew a record 8.99 million viewers.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,4670744.story
Old 07-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Nice to see the ratings bump on the show. Here is a really good article I found about Breaking Bad and it's relation to morality, Milton's Paradise Lost, the Old Testament and the Wire.

http://lareviewofbooks.org/article.p...lltext=1&media

Last edited by Cop No. 633; 07-17-2012 at 05:55 PM..
Old 07-17-2012, 05:49 PM
One thing I havent been able to figure out is who were the 2 bodies that Hank and Gomez were talking about in the burnt meth lab? Gomey said the teeth had melted or something so they would find it hard to identify the bodies.... So who were they?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossSom View Post
One thing I havent been able to figure out is who were the 2 bodies that Hank and Gomez were talking about in the burnt meth lab? Gomey said the teeth had melted or something so they would find it hard to identify the bodies.... So who were they?
I'm assuming they were the two guys who worked for Gus who kidnapped Jesse and brought him to the lab after he was released from the police station. Walt killed them, remember?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Oh yeah.... I think I remember.
Makes sense
Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 AM
I thought Walt and Mike were intentionally meeting up on that desert road and that there was nothing coincidental about it. My take was that Mike was more pissed off than anything and when he saw them just started laying on the horn as more of a "Hey, there you are, you asshole!" It didn't seem like they were playing chicken to me, just meeting up and Mike was all pissed off when he saw them.

Haha. Ted. He's as good as dead and his life is still in jeopardy. He's probably going to get killed as goofily as he almost got killed last time. All they'd have to do is throw a beach ball at him at this point.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
Nice to see the ratings bump on the show. Here is a really good article I found about Breaking Bad and it's relation to morality, Milton's Paradise Lost, the Old Testament and the Wire.

Thanks for sharing this one! I was particularly looking for some write-ups about BrBa and its themes!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:00 AM
According to IMDb...
Spoiler:
Badger and Skinny Pete return in episode 3!
Old 07-18-2012, 02:04 PM
A perfect season opener...I watched the whole thing with a smug grin on my face and lapped up every second of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Spoiler:

Haha, well remembered. It was poetic justice.

Quote:
haha, Kay's vision came true. We should feed her some ether and dictate her visions about future episodes.
This coming from the dude who predicted the bomb in Hector's bell storyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
Haha. Ted. He's as good as dead and his life is still in jeopardy. He's probably going to get killed as goofily as he almost got killed last time. All they'd have to do is throw a beach ball at him at this point.
Oh for this to be the next storyline prediction to come true...
<crosses limbs>
Old 07-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Quote:

Man, you weren't kidding! Great essay.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
According to IMDb...
Spoiler:
Badger and Skinny Pete return in episode 3!

I ran into Matt Jones through my job the other day and gave him props for his work on the show. He seemed very pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post
This coming from the dude who predicted the bomb in Hector's bell storyline.
Yeah, but that was because you told me to take the ether, so some credit should definitely go your way.

Also, I'm glad you guys dug that essay. It's probably the best breakdown of the show I've read in quite some time.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 AM
I need to rewatch the episode again--but did Saul give Walt the ricin cigarette back?

I wonder if it will play into this season at all. Had to be a reason it was shown again on camera (though perhaps that was just to explain that Saul and Huell were in on the duping of Jesse last season).
Old 07-21-2012, 08:58 AM