Old 07-21-2012, 10:56 AM
BadCoverVersion:

Old 07-21-2012, 11:26 AM
That is too fuckin' funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB4Lz0Wb0MI

Last edited by Bourne101; 07-21-2012 at 11:30 AM..
Old 07-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
It is pretty amazing.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:29 PM

Aaron Paul rules
Old 07-22-2012, 11:27 PM
Wow, that episode was incredible. The amount of tension that was generated without there being any action was outstanding.

Spoiler:
Did I miss anything at the beginning? I turned it on in the middle of buddy testing the sauces.

Last edited by Bourne101; 07-22-2012 at 11:39 PM..
Old 07-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Spoiler:
Nope, that was the beginning. Looks like he was testing new nuggets for one of the food chains and then the police show up and he merc's himself.

Great episode. This show truly is the epitome of dramatic television to watch for people wanting to eventually write television. Never a wasted scene or word. Everything, EVERYTHING, serves a purpose in doing the two fundamentals to good writing: progress a character, or progress a plot.

Spoiler:
Jesse's false relief with the ricen in the Roomba was devastating. Walt's complete apathy was chilling. FUCK I LOVE THIS SHOW!!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Ungh! is this shit getting more badass or what? Man, Cranston is full on bad. And ladies and gentlemen, let's give it up for Mike as well. Bad motherfucker
Old 07-23-2012, 01:59 AM
Amazing episode, and very much agree with Bourne in it being amazing how so much intensity has been built without much action at all.

And as for Aaron Paul:

Spoiler:
An absolutely amazing performance in the opening scenes of the episode. It was devastating to watch Jesse break down like that. I've always been under the impression that a very large factor of Breaking Bad is the battle for Jesse's soul, and that heartbreaking scene just further proved how Walt's ego and moral decay have put Jesse in shackles as well...powerful stuff.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmKing2000 View Post

And as for Aaron Paul:

Spoiler:
An absolutely amazing performance in the opening scenes of the episode. It was devastating to watch Jesse break down like that. I've always been under the impression that a very large factor of Breaking Bad is the battle for Jesse's soul, and that heartbreaking scene just further proved how Walt's ego and moral decay have put Jesse in shackles as well...powerful stuff.
FilmKing, agree with everything you've said. Aaron Paul is just so fucking good. The scene in season 2 finale, broke me down too when Jesse is bawling at the meth den
Old 07-23-2012, 05:10 AM
Loved that the episode centered on Mike. He's such a great character and Jonathan Banks is just pure badass.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Great episode, full of tension and dread. Looks like the Walt / Jesse / Mike partnership will already start to unravel soon.

Spoiler:
I also wonder what purpose the ricin cigarette load Walt behind the outlet panel will serve. Will this be the thing that brings him down somehow in the future?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
Great episode, full of tension and dread. Looks like the Walt / Jesse / Mike partnership will already start to unravel soon.

Spoiler:
I also wonder what purpose the ricin cigarette load Walt behind the outlet panel will serve. Will this be the thing that brings him down somehow in the future?
Spoiler:
I think it's pretty clear he wants it just in case he needs to poison anyone close to him. Jesse, Mike, Saul, even Skyler could become a threat to him. Like Mike said, Walt is a time bomb. Though knowing how the show takes unexpected twists and turns, that ricin could end up ironically killing someone who isn't a threat to Walt.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:35 AM
I hope
Spoiler:
Walt Jr finds it.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 PM

That's how I felt after finishing the episode. I'm already loving the way this season is playing out. They're really not wasting any time.

I can't wait to see what Mike has up his sleeve this season. And yeah, that ricin's gonna do something bad to somebody soon. I just hope they have a good reason for how it's found because it's such a specific place to hide it.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Aaron Paul may be the best actor on television. I know it's a bold statement, but I can't think of any other role that requires such an emotional roller coaster, and he nails it EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's almost surreal.

As for the cigarette, it's any body's guess. I feel Walt wants to have it in case he needs to kill someone who is a real threat (like Mike) or someone to whom he is emotionally connected and whose death would cause a firestorm (like Hank). Otherwise, wouldn't he just shoot the person like he wanted to with Gus?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Aaron Paul may be the best actor on television. I know it's a bold statement, but I can't think of any other role that requires such an emotional roller coaster, and he nails it EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's almost surreal.
Totally agree with ya. He's my favorite actor on tv and when Breaking Bad is done, I hope he gets a lot of good film roles ( I did read a rumor that he may sign on to an HBO show which would also be cool)

Anyways, what an awesome episode. Mike once again proves how badass he is and i loved the interrogation scene between him & Hank
Old 07-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Old 07-23-2012, 05:20 PM
FRANCH, bitch!

Mm mm good.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Totally agree with ya. He's my favorite actor on tv and when Breaking Bad is done, I hope he gets a lot of good film roles ( I did read a rumor that he may sign on to an HBO show which would also be cool)
He's already getting roles. There was this indie at Sundance this year in which he plays an alcoholic. Mike Sampson reviewed it on the podcast and said he's way different in it than in BrBa.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2063781/
Old 07-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Smashed got great reviews out of Sundance. Can't wait to see it.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Someone somewhere mentioned the look on Hank's face when the cops were bagging up the computer last week, and how it might mean that Hank saw something on there and he might know (I thought it was this thread but now I can't find it). It seemed like kind of a stretch at the time, and after rewatching that ep my opinion was unchanged, but tonight...that's a different story.

Spoiler:
When Hank's boss is going on about how he had Gus over for a bar-b-q and he was apparently two different people, "right under my nose," that look on Hank's face HAD to mean something. It was far too severe to be just sympathy for his boss. Plus the fact that he said he "got a peek" at the laptop before the magnets destroyed it. The signs are looking like he knows something, but signs are often misleading on this show so there's no telling. Any way about it I'm stoked for whatever's coming.

I legit thought Mike was gonna die in this episode, or at least had myself completely prepared for it. I try my hardest to stay away from behind-the-scenes shit but I read somewhere that someone (I think Gilligan) said this season is gonna be a bloodbath, and my prediction is that said bloodbath is gonna start with someone big. Someone like Mike or Saul, and when it happens it'll come out of nowhere. I was literally tensed up through the entirety of last night's episode, and the "edge of my seat" cliche actually applies here. Yeah, in retrospect, it's friggin crazy how much actually didn't happen during that hour, but how much was going on anyway. This show is fuckin amazing, and I don't mean that as hyperbole, I mean it is actually literally amazing.

And I agree about that scene where Jesse breaks down in front of the roomba. I'm a grown-ass man but I am not ashamed to admit that I got a little misty-eyed. I think FilmKing is right in that the "battle for Jesse's soul" is pretty much the show's emotional anchor now, since Walt is already too far gone. Walter is probably going to do worse things than he already has, and then horrible things will happen to him, but Jesse...how his series-long character arc will wrap up is still a mystery. He's the one character who can still go in any direction, and watching scenes like that one last night really emphasize that. We can still sympathize with him, and still root for him in a "best wishes" kind of way. Granted, I kinda still root for Walter in some ways, but only from a "how high will he get before he falls?" perspective. Jesse I legitimately feel for.

Maybe I shouldn't have spoiler tagged all this, but I ain't taking no chances.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 PM
And oh yeah, after watching that Leno segment I think Aaron Paul is at least tied with Dean Norris in the "dude I'd like to have a beer with" category.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Totally agree with ya. He's my favorite actor on tv and when Breaking Bad is done, I hope he gets a lot of good film roles ( I did read a rumor that he may sign on to an HBO show which would also be cool).
I'm right there with you guys on Aaron Paul as TV's best, and like you, I'd love to see him in big screen roles, but truthfully I think I'd prefer to see him jump right into this HBO series (that is, if the quality is there). He's up for the lead in this new series and seeing him hit home runs every week for 12/13 episodes per season sounds like a more attractive proposition than having him take 2 or 3 supporting film roles per year. Perhaps he'll have time to do both!

As far as the latest episode goes? Loved it. Hank vs Mike, interrogation style was EPIC. So grateful that Jonathan Banks is getting more screentime.

Last edited by Delmont ; 07-23-2012 at 11:06 PM..
Old 07-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillingworth View Post
Someone somewhere mentioned the look on Hank's face when the cops were bagging up the computer last week, and how it might mean that Hank saw something on there and he might know (I thought it was this thread but now I can't find it). It seemed like kind of a stretch at the time, and after rewatching that ep my opinion was unchanged, but tonight...that's a different story.
At the very least, Hank is ultra suspicious of Walt now, but the question is whether or not he saw something substantive (on the laptop, as you suggested) or if it's pure speculation (like him, in retrospect, wondering if that car accident en route to the laundromat last season was intentional now that he knows the laundromat was a cover).
Old 07-24-2012, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syxxpac View Post
FRANCH, bitch!

Mm mm good.
I feel sick, just knowing that I'm going to try that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillingworth View Post
Spoiler:
When Hank's boss is going on about how he had Gus over for a bar-b-q and he was apparently two different people, "right under my nose," that look on Hank's face HAD to mean something. It was far too severe to be just sympathy for his boss. Plus the fact that he said he "got a peek" at the laptop before the magnets destroyed it. The signs are looking like he knows something, but signs are often misleading on this show so there's no telling. Any way about it I'm stoked for whatever's coming.
I definitely think there was a moment of awareness there. Was it a 4th BBQ when Walt got too drunk. If anything, there was the scene from a previous season when Walt was over at Hank and Maria's, with Skyler, and they were eating "having wine" and he shared about his gambling problem. That was a definite parallel and the first thing I thought of before wondering when the previous BBQ took place, just based on what was said - the captain described that scene very close to exact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmont View Post
Hank vs Mike
I'm glad someone else phrased it like that.

Man, this show has a lot of hairless guys.

Mike's entire interaction with the chick in the diner was great. I loved how secretive she was, bald face lying about their relationship, and the waitress was just like, "Need anything else, Mike?"

I mentioned before that I think the show is really interesting in the way that Walt has lost his family in many ways, while Jesse has built a family. It's like Walt has been drug down while Jesse is being built up. I think it's a really interesting dynamic, and part of me wants to see it end up coming down to those two, but another part doesn't.

And yeah - the ricin has to come up again. Am I alone in thinking that Walt Jr. has been seriously spared for these past 4 seasons?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
He's already getting roles. There was this indie at Sundance this year in which he plays an alcoholic. Mike Sampson reviewed it on the podcast and said he's way different in it than in BrBa.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2063781/
Thanks for the link. I'll keep an eye out for this film for sure.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Echoing everyone's thoughts, this episode was simply great. The focus on Mike was fantastic, Aaron paul seemed to have cemented his Emmy nomination for next year based on his "breakdown" scene alone, and the final scene was probably one of the most creepiest things Breaking Bad has done.

This season is going to move like a bullet!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Gotta be one of the most stunning openings ever on a show full of them. Michelle MacLaren can do no wrong.

Don't have anything more to add on top of everyone else except it was pretty much perfection. The precision of the visual storytelling is one of the big reasons I love Breaking Bad and this episode displayed that in spades. These first two episodes combined are my favourite start to any of the seasons so far.

I guess everyone involved in the show knows that these last 16 episodes are their chance to cement the show's status as one of the greatest shows ever so they're really bringing their A-game to the table.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:34 AM
IThe usage of mike in this episode was brillant, and Aaron Paul did great too.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:46 AM
This episode was incredible

It featured at least 3 stunning scenes;

Spoiler:
The intro and defibrillator suicide.
Jesse's emotional breakdown
Hank interrogating Mike

I would say it's instant top 10 material and it's ridiculous that it managed to be so utterly brilliant and compelling when our central protagonist had about 10 minutes screen time, tops. It just hammers it home that EVERY character in Breaking Bad is so interesting to watch and fully fleshed.

I also noticed Hank's reaction when his Boss was talking about the night he entertained Gustavo at his home. It was as if the cogs in Hank's noggin were whirring into action as he drew parallels between his Boss's encounter with Gus and the night when Walt drank a leeel too much vino.

I read a rather interesting comment about the symbolism of the ricin cigarette yesterday. The writer commented on how when Walt placed it behind the socket by the bedside table he was literally poisoning his own marital bed... Oooh, ver clever.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:49 AM
I need to make a new avatar, dang.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post
I need to make a new avatar, dang.
I'll make ya one! Who do you want?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
I'll make ya one! Who do you want?
Ooh Jesse or Mike please. Cheers ears.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post
This episode was incredible

It featured at least 3 stunning scenes;

Spoiler:
The intro and defibrillator suicide.
Jesse's emotional breakdown
Hank interrogating Mike

I would say it's instant top 10 material and it's ridiculous that it managed to be so utterly brilliant and compelling when our central protagonist had about 10 minutes screen time, tops. It just hammers it home that EVERY character in Breaking Bad is so interesting to watch and fully fleshed.
I was thinking the same thing as I was talking to my brother about it. We honestly felt that it easily was one of the best episodes. And it's the 2nd episode of the season. That is insane.

Quote:
I read a rather interesting comment about the symbolism of the ricin cigarette yesterday. The writer commented on how when Walt placed it behind the socket by the bedside table he was literally poisoning his own marital bed... Oooh, ver clever.
And yet another thing about Walt hiding the ricin behind the socket is... where did Jesse shoot Gale? In his eye socket. Oh, snap...

Also Kay, I have an extra avatar of Hector Salamanca if you want it. It's a really great inked drawing by Wilfredo Torres:

Old 07-29-2012, 11:40 PM
This fucking show. This season is trying to go for the gold and beyond.
Spoiler:
The whole "cooking" montage, Walt/Jesse's two chilling discussions, Skylar's breakdown and seeing the whole family (including Holly) watching Scarface, the shot of Walt looking down the hallway and eating the apple, Walt/Mike's confrontation about the money....

"Just because you shot Jessie James, doesn't make you Jessie James......

I love this fucking show!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Skinny Pete was ticklin' the ivories like it was nobody's business!

Another great episode. While Season 4 was fantastic, this just seems like it's on a totally different level, if that's even possible. I love how in this season every episode feels like its own complete little movie, with individual episode arcs, etc. Last season there were several cliffhangers and red herrings, and while that's fine, I prefer the way that they are doing it now (like what they did in the first three seasons).
Old 07-29-2012, 11:56 PM
I love evil Walt so goddamn much.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:19 AM
I can't decide how I feel about what's happening to Walt. I miss laughing at him and rooting for him and feeling like he was essentially a good guy. There was a moment tonight that I've been wishing for almost since the beginning,

Spoiler:
Just Walt and Jesse chilling out over some beers and shooting the shit. Talking about women, exchanging advice and shit, just generally doing the male bonding thing. Also Jesse inviting Walter to stay for a beer and him actually doing it. The two of them getting along this way, it SHOULD be awesome and I always thought if they got to a place like this I would be overjoyed. But I'm not. I'm the opposite, in that I feel a weird sense of dread. It's odd how uneasy I felt during that scene where they're talking on the couch, despite the fact that there wasn't really any tension or anything dramatic going on. All of a sudden I don't trust anything Walter does or says, AT ALL, even before we see his motivations. It didn't take long to see that this whole "we're buds now" thing is just another way to manipulate poor Jesse, who in spite of it all still craves Mr. White's approval. What angle is he playing here? By trying to get Jesse to be honest with Andrea, is he trying to split them up? Why? Is he threatened by Jesse's relationship with her and her kid? And how in the piss did he poison Brock anyway? I really thought we were gonna get a revelation about that tonight, but not yet I guess.

Anyway, I'm actually starting to dislike him, and that disturbs me. Granted, all along there have been aspects of his personality that I didn't like, things he's done and et cetera, but I've been behind him anyway. It feels like a really sudden shift, even though I know it isn't. Even poisoning the kid, I could see the logic behind that and Brock ended up okay and all so although sure it's a despicable act it didn't change much. But these last three episodes, I think the way the audience (or at least me) perceives Walter has changed more over the last three weeks than the previous four years.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
I love evil Walt so goddamn much.
This. I love how tickled he is by seeing "Leaves of Grass", so much so that he decides to leave it out on the nightstand. It's like a little reminder of his triumph over Gus (by way of Gale's murder).

Everyone was expecting the carwash to come into play, but this new mobile cook via Vamos Pests is so much better than I could have imagined.

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but Mike can do no wrong. Loved his drill sergeant routine with the pest contol crew and the scene towards the end (with the excellent jesse james line) was pure gold.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:49 AM
I love the development of the Walt/Mike conflict.

I hate that I'm fairly confident Walt is going to win.