Old 07-30-2012, 02:13 AM
Great stuff all around.

The pest control front for the cooking is a great idea--goes back to Gus telling Walt that they hide in plain sight.

Walt and Walt Jr. were watching Mob Week a day early, too.

Loved the audio match from the gunfire on the TV to the money counter.

So Walt has divided and conquered Jesse and his woman, how long until he turns Jesse against Mike?

Also, how about that little smirk Walt gave Marie behind her back after feeding her the story about Skylar. COLD AS FUCK.

Last edited by Ayestrain; 07-30-2012 at 02:35 AM..
Old 07-30-2012, 10:50 AM

"Yeah, it's Jimmy. I just got done watching Breaking Bad… I know, right… Shit, this Walter White guy: he's a fucking asshole."
Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post

"Yeah, it's Jimmy. I just got done watching Breaking Bad… I know, right… Shit, this Walter White guy: he's a fucking asshole."
Hahahaha

I would love to see your drunk McNulty impression haha
Old 07-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillingworth View Post
I can't decide how I feel about what's happening to Walt. I miss laughing at him and rooting for him and feeling like he was essentially a good guy. There was a moment tonight that I've been wishing for almost since the beginning,

Spoiler:
Just Walt and Jesse chilling out over some beers and shooting the shit. Talking about women, exchanging advice and shit, just generally doing the male bonding thing. Also Jesse inviting Walter to stay for a beer and him actually doing it. The two of them getting along this way, it SHOULD be awesome and I always thought if they got to a place like this I would be overjoyed. But I'm not. I'm the opposite, in that I feel a weird sense of dread. It's odd how uneasy I felt during that scene where they're talking on the couch, despite the fact that there wasn't really any tension or anything dramatic going on. All of a sudden I don't trust anything Walter does or says, AT ALL, even before we see his motivations. It didn't take long to see that this whole "we're buds now" thing is just another way to manipulate poor Jesse, who in spite of it all still craves Mr. White's approval. What angle is he playing here? By trying to get Jesse to be honest with Andrea, is he trying to split them up? Why? Is he threatened by Jesse's relationship with her and her kid? And how in the piss did he poison Brock anyway? I really thought we were gonna get a revelation about that tonight, but not yet I guess.

Anyway, I'm actually starting to dislike him, and that disturbs me. Granted, all along there have been aspects of his personality that I didn't like, things he's done and et cetera, but I've been behind him anyway. It feels like a really sudden shift, even though I know it isn't. Even poisoning the kid, I could see the logic behind that and Brock ended up okay and all so although sure it's a despicable act it didn't change much. But these last three episodes, I think the way the audience (or at least me) perceives Walter has changed more over the last three weeks than the previous four years.
Mr. Gilligan has won sir It's been his intention all along that people feel this way about Walt. It's so hard not to. I'm in the same boat as you. But I love the dread
Old 07-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Quote:
I can't decide how I feel about what's happening to Walt. I miss laughing at him and rooting for him and feeling like he was essentially a good guy. There was a moment tonight that I've been wishing for almost since the beginning,

Spoiler:
Just Walt and Jesse chilling out over some beers and shooting the shit. Talking about women, exchanging advice and shit, just generally doing the male bonding thing. Also Jesse inviting Walter to stay for a beer and him actually doing it. The two of them getting along this way, it SHOULD be awesome and I always thought if they got to a place like this I would be overjoyed. But I'm not. I'm the opposite, in that I feel a weird sense of dread. It's odd how uneasy I felt during that scene where they're talking on the couch, despite the fact that there wasn't really any tension or anything dramatic going on. All of a sudden I don't trust anything Walter does or says, AT ALL, even before we see his motivations. It didn't take long to see that this whole "we're buds now" thing is just another way to manipulate poor Jesse, who in spite of it all still craves Mr. White's approval. What angle is he playing here? By trying to get Jesse to be honest with Andrea, is he trying to split them up? Why? Is he threatened by Jesse's relationship with her and her kid? And how in the piss did he poison Brock anyway? I really thought we were gonna get a revelation about that tonight, but not yet I guess.

Anyway, I'm actually starting to dislike him, and that disturbs me. Granted, all along there have been aspects of his personality that I didn't like, things he's done and et cetera, but I've been behind him anyway. It feels like a really sudden shift, even though I know it isn't. Even poisoning the kid, I could see the logic behind that and Brock ended up okay and all so although sure it's a despicable act it didn't change much. But these last three episodes, I think the way the audience (or at least me) perceives Walter has changed more over the last three weeks than the previous four years.
Spoiler:
He poisoned Brock by having Saul set it up when he visited Jesse last season. Saul had his big security guy (I think his name is Eule) slip him the poison.

Evil Walt reminds me of (Spoiler for another show)

Spoiler:
Possessed Leland Palmer from Twin Peaks

I get chills whenever he's trying to be a nice guy now. That expression he shot Brock when they were on the couch was so cold.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
Also, how about that little smirk Walt gave Marie behind her back after feeding her the story about Skylar. COLD AS FUCK.
It wasn't even that, to me. It was how much he gets off on The Lie, now. I'm surprised Marie didn't make some comment about a gun in his pocket.

Haha, Huell's labored Fat Man Breathing is just one of those quirky things I find myself looking forward to every episode now.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:14 PM
This episode was...in a word, amazing.

Spoiler:
Shootout scene during Scarface, Walt's one-liner, "Hell, does everybody die in this movie?"

His continued and unwavering manipulation of Jesse.

Walter and Brock on the couch together.

The entire ending from separating the money to Walt hatching a plan to keep Mike in line, ala Gus slitting Victor's throat.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:06 PM
I hate comparing between media, but I can't think of a more interesting character than Walter White in any thing.

I'm not saying he's my favorite character (far from it, actually... not even my favorite on the show) but man, he's come a long way and it has just been a pure joy to watch it unfold.

Regarding the mobile meth lab, Gilligan said in an interview that in the writer's room, they try to come up with EVERY SINGLE SCENARIO possible for their stories (as well as how it would impact the future), and try to pick something that would surprise the audience and give them a direction to go. I think most of us assumed the car wash would've come into play for the lab, and I'm pretty sure it came up in the writer's room (since, again, everything does). But perhaps it was too predictable, or perhaps setting it up there would've forced them to change something else they had planned down the road. Regardless, it's brilliant.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Proximity to Violence vs. Amount of Hair on One's Head: An Analysis of Breaking Bad
Old 07-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Quote:

Old 07-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Spoiler:
He poisoned Brock by having Saul set it up when he visited Jesse last season. Saul had his big security guy (I think his name is Eule) slip him the poison.
Spoiler:
It was my understanding that that's just how he got the ricin cigarette away from Jesse, through Saul and Huell. Something that got brought to my attention (I think in this thread) and then I rewatched to check was that you can see Huell pocketing something after his pat-down last season. But when Walt and Saul are having their conversation in this season's debut, Saul talks about Huell lifting the cigarette but doesn't really say anything about the actual poisoning of Brock. He does say "you didn't tell me that kid was gonna wind up in the hospital," but that's not really an admission. That could just be in reference to the fakeout they pulled with the ricin and Walt thereby making Saul an unwitting accomplice to the poisoning. I want confirmation, by gum, I want to know EXACTLY how it happened 'cuz it's the one thing about the end of last season that needs explanation. Timeframe and all that, how Walt managed to pull all that off needs to be addressed explicitly imo.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Spoiler:
It was my understanding that that's just how he got the ricin cigarette away from Jesse, through Saul and Huell. Something that got brought to my attention (I think in this thread) and then I rewatched to check was that you can see Huell pocketing something after his pat-down last season. But when Walt and Saul are having their conversation in this season's debut, Saul talks about Huell lifting the cigarette but doesn't really say anything about the actual poisoning of Brock. He does say "you didn't tell me that kid was gonna wind up in the hospital," but that's not really an admission. That could just be in reference to the fakeout they pulled with the ricin and Walt thereby making Saul an unwitting accomplice to the poisoning. I want confirmation, by gum, I want to know EXACTLY how it happened 'cuz it's the one thing about the end of last season that needs explanation. Timeframe and all that, how Walt managed to pull all that off needs to be addressed explicitly imo.
Spoiler:
I still think all that will out, with terrible consequences for Walt.

He's gone on too long (a year) getting away with murder, literally.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:44 PM
I hope you're right, I hope it does get explained. But I don't think it's gonna be what ultimately bites Walter in the ass. I think it'll be something new.

I don't watch previews so you guys can tell me if I might be right, but I have a theory about what I think is gonna happen next week:
Spoiler:
Walter the Proud will fire (or at least try to fire) that Todd guy for stepping out of line and speaking directly to them, against Mike's instruction. Then that guy is gonna create problems. I inadvertently read somewhere that the actor who plays that dude alluded to his role as an important one. I think he's gonna have a role in whatever's coming in the next five episodes of the season.

I don't know about you guys but I consider these eight episodes to be season five, and next year's eight to be season six. If season one was only seven long then these constitute seasons as well, and this whole "breaking it into two parts" thing is horseshit.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:13 AM
that's great. I've been mentioning how there's so many baldies on this show, but that takes it to a whole 'nother level.

Quote:
I hope you're right, I hope it does get explained. But I don't think it's gonna be what ultimately bites Walter in the ass. I think it'll be something new.

I don't watch previews so you guys can tell me if I might be right, but I have a theory about what I think is gonna happen next week:
Spoiler:
Walter the Proud will fire (or at least try to fire) that Todd guy for stepping out of line and speaking directly to them, against Mike's instruction. Then that guy is gonna create problems. I inadvertently read somewhere that the actor who plays that dude alluded to his role as an important one. I think he's gonna have a role in whatever's coming in the next five episodes of the season.

I don't know about you guys but I consider these eight episodes to be season five, and next year's eight to be season six. If season one was only seven long then these constitute seasons as well, and this whole "breaking it into two parts" thing is horseshit.
I actually think...

Spoiler:
At the start of this season, the flashforward, Walt is running from everyone. At this point, no one has a reason to not want him dead. I'm thinking Skyler is finally going to help Hank, maybe something bad does finally happen to Walt Jr. (Walt forgets to cook him breakfast), Jesse finds out about Brock/Walt breaking up his family, Mike and Jesse will probably team up, then there's everyone else... Saul might be the last person who ends up helping Walt.

There was a birthday reference in this episode, so whatever it is - it's happening soon (of course -- only 5 episodes left this season...)

As for that Todd guy...
Spoiler:
I think he's a narc. The way he brought up the robberies seemed odd and the fact that he seems too smart compared to the rest of that crew. He was working in the crew to find out about the burglaries and stumbled upon Walt and his gang.

Oh yeah, and too bad about Skyler going just a bit too far with it. That could have been a wonderful learning experience for Marie.

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 07-31-2012 at 11:53 AM..
Old 07-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Quote:

Spoiler:

I think Walt will use this guy Todd to drive a wedge between Mike and Jesse much like Gus tried to do by bringing in Gale. Dont forget Walt has learned from the master.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:

lmao you're funny.

Next weeks episode should be insane.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:57 PM
I don't understand why people are disappointed they can't root for Walt anymore, that he's not a sympathetic character. The name of the show is 'Breaking Bad.' Breaking. BAD. It's the name of the fucking show.

Walt's commentary on Scarface was easily the highlight for me, and I really hope it's prophetic as I've felt for awhile it's the only way to end the show.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger^Cart View Post
The name of the show is 'Breaking Bad.' Breaking. BAD. It's the name of the fucking show.

"Hey, Jimmy here again..."
Old 08-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Watched it again today and I noticed a few things.

The cooking scene was some stellar visuals.

It didn't occur to me the first time how Walt is flat out saying that Mike is going to get a Victor treatment. I picked up on it as a vague threat the first time but, no, he's flat out saying this is what needs to be done. It's similar to Gale. I think this is going to be a step toward my prediction that Walt's going to be on the run from everyone.

What really interested me though, was that Jesse and Walt were watching The Three Stooges and in the short (don't know the name) it was a shoot out involving a gorilla coming at The Stooges with a tommy gun. This reminded me of Saul, earlier, complaining about Mike joining the team and referring to them as The Three Amigos. Then later, Walt is watching the Scarface scene where there is Tony blowing everyone away, with, while not a tommygun, a fully automatic weapon. So I started wondering if this is foreshadowing Mike as the gorilla, going after the stooges, and then Walt comes back Scarface style.

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 08-02-2012 at 02:06 AM..
Old 08-05-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm loving this so far. The last episode was the best by far of the season, I love the whole pest control angle. In fact, the only thing I didn't like about the episode was the choice of song they used for the cooking montage. They are usually on the ball with song selection and the series as a whole has some of the best tracks I've heard in a show, but this last one? Meh. Didn't like it at all.

Apart from that minor minor complaint, everything is as it should be. Walt's asshole-ism is only growing and he's definitely becoming less and less sympathetic as the show progresses, which I think is brilliant. The whole Mike dynamic is paving way for some major showdown value down the road. Skylar is still my least favorite and most annoying character, whatever they do with her she continues to annoy the ever living shit out of me.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Haven't seen tonights episode yet but I LOVE the shot of Walk shaving his head and then there is blood dripping from it. So fuckin badass.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Another phenomenal episode. Love what they're doing with skylar.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Rian Johnson absolutely nails his second directorial effort on the show. The Walt/Skylar showdown in the bedroom was terrific and Skylar dropped a couple of the coldest lines the show has delivered yet.

Last edited by Bourne101; 08-05-2012 at 11:45 PM..
Old 08-06-2012, 12:36 AM
I don't know what the point is in posting to this thread after every episode. I just alwyas find myself saying the same thing, just in moderately different words: the show is amazing.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Jesus fucking Christ.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Well, that was pretty damn great.

Loved the "pool party". That slow push in on Walt during his monologue, unaware of Skylar in the background, was a very telling (and striking) way of showing how very little his family has actually mattered in the last year of his life. Skylar floating, resigned to drowning in the blue (meth colored) water, was also a beautiful (yet devastating) image.

Walt's "morning rituals in solitude" was very Kubric, no? I loved it! Has there ever been a more frightening cereal scene? Jr should be taking notes - that was a bad ass breakfast.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:39 AM
So good.

This show can devastate you with big action sequences and it can equally devastate with a charged scene of dialogue between two characters.

Definitely the mark of a great show.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:58 AM
So yeah, Anna Gunn is a fucking great actress. She brought the goods all episode long and delivered her best performance of the series.

The Skylar character gets less attention than her male counterparts (Walt, Jesse, Gus, Mike, and Hank), but Gunn has been just as good this season as the men. She excels as the conflicted/distraught/borderline crazy Skylar. Her verbal sparring match with Walt was amazing television.

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 08-06-2012 at 03:04 AM..
Old 08-06-2012, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Rian Johnson absolutely nails his second directorial effort on the show. The Walt/Skylar showdown in the bedroom was terrific and Skylar dropped a couple of the coldest lines the show has delivered yet.
They may have been cold to Walt, but I wouldn't call them cold words. More like protective words to her children. Because the major difference between Walt and Skylar is, Walt lies to himself that he's doing this for family but the truth is, he doesn't really love his family as much as he thinks he does. If he did, he would quite the meth business. But Skylar really does love her kids, so much so that she's willing to keep them away from herself for their own good. That was what made is such a great scene.

The REAL cold words were the words Walt said to Skylar. To think about her plan. And then of course that is when she admitted that it was a bad plan. And that all she can do is wait for the cancer to come back.

I'm gonna love seeing the Walt/Skylar conflict play out this season. It's where the real tension of the season lies in for sure.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I'm gonna love seeing the Walt/Skylar conflict play out this season. It's where the real tension of the season lies in for sure.
Spoiler:
It almost seems like Skylar doesn't have long left in the world of this show.

Just me or did anyone think at first that Walt was putting in a hit on her during his solitary breakfast, when he took Jesse's phone call?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
They may have been cold to Walt, but I wouldn't call them cold words.
I meant that they were cold to Walt, but I'd say they are still cold regardless.

"I'm waiting for the cancer to come back" is pretty damn cold, regardless of what Walt has done.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Spoiler:

Just me or did anyone think at first that Walt was putting in a hit on her during his solitary breakfast, when he took Jesse's phone call?
Spoiler:
I was kinda thinking that given her habit of smoking is returning, may we see the Ricin cigarette play a role in the future?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:53 PM
This show.

The shot of Walt appearing behind Skylar in the pool was fucking awesome. Iconic, maybe.

I wasn't as big a fan of the fourth season as I was of the first three. I felt the mythos of Gus was mishandled, I felt that some moments took the show out of magical realism and into unrealism. But this season is spot on. The show has taken that necessary unsettling turn. In these four episodes they have done exactly what they needed to do to make this show work: Walt is not an anti-hero anymore, he is a villain. He is unlikable.

He went down the rabbit hole and his pride and ambition ate his soul.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface98.9 View Post
Spoiler:
I was kinda thinking that given her habit of smoking is returning, may we see the Ricin cigarette play a role in the future?
Doesn't that assume Walt WANTS to kill Skylar? He'd have to plant it for her to smoke it. She's too smart to find a cigarette buried in a wall and then smoke it, right?
Old 08-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface98.9 View Post
Spoiler:
I was actually talking about this with a friend before tonight's episode aired.

Spoiler:
I was saying that knowing Gilligan and company, it wouldn't make sense for somebody like Walter Jr to stumble upon the ricin and accidentally poison himself. It would be too coincidental and you'd have to make up an excuse for him to find it. So the only way for it to harm somebody is for Walt to try to poison someone... and the last person you'd suspect (before this episode) is Skyler. It would be ironic given that he started cooking for her and the family. But now with that episode, it makes a lot of sense. My friend looked at me after the episode finished giving me that, "You son of a bitch!" look.

Also, the one card she has yet to play but is firmly in her grasp is her confessing Walt's double life to the police or even Hank. Things could get so bad that she has no choice but to play that card. She was willing to do it in Season 4 when she thought they were in danger from the cartel (Gus), so in an act of desperation, she could come to that decision again.

I could see something like this going down: Walt decides to poison Skyler with a drink or some food, but then Walter Jr ends up taking the dose after coming back home from Hank and Maries to say hello to his parents. This would be the most tragic outcome because Skyler would realize the poison was meant for her, and Walt has to live with the worst guilt imaginable.

Either way, last night's episode was great. One thing I love is how the living room set feels much more expressionistic than in any other season. There was a certain darkness always permeating the White house, but the lighting and style was always grounded more in reality. Now the set is completely bathed in shadows, almost as if it was lit like a play, where only the actors and key props are highlighted. It's a great touch. I also have enjoyed how Michael Slovis has been keeping Walter out of focus for a majority of the scenes between him and Skyler. It started early in the season and it has continued into this episode until Skyler and Walter finally confront each other. It's those little things that always impress me with Breaking Bad. They really pay attention to the little details.

It was also funny watching this episode because I was in a room full of guys who before the final scenes were bitching about Skyler, but they were left speechless by the end of the episode. I never count Skyler out. She's probably the most thankless character in the show. She never gets to have a cool moment, and she always comes off as a jerk to the people in her life, but she deserves a lot of credit. It's a hard role and job, so it's nice to see the writers give Anna Gunn a moment to push back instead of keeping it all in. The funny thing is that she is actually right about Walt and the consequences of his lifestyle. It might not be the cool thing to do, but she's finally making the right decision for her family like she said she would last season.

Quote:
Watched it again today and I noticed a few things.

The cooking scene was some stellar visuals.

It didn't occur to me the first time how Walt is flat out saying that Mike is going to get a Victor treatment. I picked up on it as a vague threat the first time but, no, he's flat out saying this is what needs to be done. It's similar to Gale. I think this is going to be a step toward my prediction that Walt's going to be on the run from everyone.
I'm not so sure about Walt planning to cut Mike's throat. It wouldn't make sense because he doesn't know Mike's contacts. Walt doesn't know how Mike unloads the blue meth or who the buyer is. If he killed him, he would lose any chance to be the drug kingpin he thinks he is. I think the Victor treatment will be for somebody underneath Mike. He wants Mike to get the message the same way he and Jesse got the message from Victor's death. So my theory is...

Spoiler:
That treatment will be reserved for somebody like Todd or someone on the pesticide team. I think Walt will try to find a reason to kill Todd to send Mike a "message." He'll try to find some mistake to punish Todd for, except it'll backfire on Walt. Mike's killed people too and that won't scare him into being a subordinate, and Jesse will finally see just how fucked up Walt is and will realize he's the same as Gus. I think Mike will be the real wedge that divides Jesse from Walt... He'll find a way to convince Jesse to see his side of the argument and he'll have more chips stacked against Walt. He's just biding his time because Mike knows that Jesse can already handle the lab by himself. He's just being more cautious than Gus was with his plan because he likes Jesse and treats him with more respect than Walt.

Quote:
What really interested me though, was that Jesse and Walt were watching The Three Stooges and in the short (don't know the name) it was a shoot out involving a gorilla coming at The Stooges with a tommy gun. This reminded me of Saul, earlier, complaining about Mike joining the team and referring to them as The Three Amigos. Then later, Walt is watching the Scarface scene where there is Tony blowing everyone away, with, while not a tommygun, a fully automatic weapon. So I started wondering if this is foreshadowing Mike as the gorilla, going after the stooges, and then Walt comes back Scarface style.
That's a good observation! Mike has become that wedge that will break them apart.The way the season has been playing out, it seems as though Jesse is finally wising up to who Walt really is. That look he had on his face at the end of the episode indicated that Jesse is realizing that Walt is becoming a bit mad and drunk with this supposed power her feels he has. It's interesting though to see Walter as the gun toting Scarface... that machine gun he was buying at the start of the season is sure to do some major damage.

Last edited by Cop No. 633; 08-06-2012 at 06:52 PM..
Old 08-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Spoiler:

Future spoiler, perhaps 80% reliable source, you probably shouldn't read.

Spoiler:
According to some guy who knew all about the pest company before the episode aired Walt is going to strangle Skylar in episode 6.

Two thoughts on this episode:

First, I was thinking, when Walt was challenging Skylar about her plans he sorta forced her into a corner. There is one obvious plan she could choose if she thinks it is the only possible way to protect her children: kill Walt. I wonder if she will make an attempt on his life in the next episode. Some people mentioned the last sound of this episode may likely have been a gun cocking.

Second, I'm really really really curious what Walt's great plan is regarding Lydia, who is a great addition.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:09 PM
I had the thought that the last shot of the ticking clock was a nod back to Mike's comments in Episode 1 - "You're a time bomb Walter, tick, tick, ticking. And I have no intention of being around for the boom".

Also, perhaps the most chilling line of the season went to Walt:
'If I may be so bold.... chocolate cake, with chocolate icing?'
Whilst kissing Skyler totally oblivious that she despises him.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=Cop No. 633;3584645]
Spoiler:
I was saying that knowing Gilligan and company, it wouldn't make sense for somebody like Walter Jr to stumble upon the ricin and accidentally poison himself. It would be too coincidental and you'd have to make up an excuse for him to find it. So the only way for it to harm somebody is for Walt to try to poison someone... and the last person you'd suspect (before this episode) is Skyler. It would be ironic given that he started cooking for her and the family. But now with that episode, it makes a lot of sense. My friend looked at me after the episode finished giving me that, "You son of a bitch!" look.

I actually am now expecting Walt Jr.
Spoiler:
…to get into a car accident. It could have been a red herring bit of dialogue, Jr. talking about his need for speed, but it would also make sense as something to push Skyler over to top. I think you're right though about the ricin not being involved in an accident. Of course, Skyler already got pissed off once about Walt getting him a fast car and we know wrecking cars is in Jr's genes. It seems the one thing we've all been waiting to happen is something really bad to Walt Jr.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Also, the one card she has yet to play but is firmly in her grasp is her confessing Walt's double life to the police or even Hank. Things could get so bad that she has no choice but to play that card. She was willing to do it in Season 4 when she thought they were in danger from the cartel (Gus), so in an act of desperation, she could come to that decision again.
I'm pretty sure that's where it's going to go. She's getting too much attention right now and is really going to have to explain her behavior one way or another. I think they're setting it up pretty strongly for that but we're just waiting for that one final push.

I also don't get the hatred for Skyler. Her motives are pretty pure. Earlier in the series, she was a ball breaker, but then she's done so much to help the guy. This is punctuated in the story Walt recounted of the first night of chemo. On the other hand, I really don't get the lack of hate for Marie.

Quote:
Spoiler:
I'm not so sure about Walt planning to cut Mike's throat. It wouldn't make sense because he doesn't know Mike's contacts. Walt doesn't know how Mike unloads the blue meth or who the buyer is. If he killed him, he would lose any chance to be the drug kingpin he thinks he is. I think the Victor treatment will be for somebody underneath Mike. He wants Mike to get the message the same way he and Jesse got the message from Victor's death. So my theory is...

That treatment will be reserved for somebody like Todd or someone on the pesticide team. I think Walt will try to find a reason to kill Todd to send Mike a "message." He'll try to find some mistake to punish Todd for, except it'll backfire on Walt. Mike's killed people too and that won't scare him into being a subordinate, and Jesse will finally see just how fucked up Walt is and will realize he's the same as Gus. I think Mike will be the real wedge that divides Jesse from Walt... He'll find a way to convince Jesse to see his side of the argument and he'll have more chips stacked against Walt. He's just biding his time because Mike knows that Jesse can already handle the lab by himself. He's just being more cautious than Gus was with his plan because he likes Jesse and treats him with more respect than Walt.
Not saying he will but he definitely thinks that guy is a liability.
Spoiler:
Jesse knows where the chemicals come from now. There really isn't that many pieces for Walt to put together before going full out against Mike. I think he's going to go at him and go at him hard.

I'm still not convinced that Todd isn't a cop investigating the b and e's. Right now all he would know is that Walt is just some cook and his department wouldn't be cued into what's going on with Hank's department. Perhaps with Hank overseeing thing, they would end up meeting up. I guess it seems farfetched in a lot of ways, like why it wouldn't have come already except I'm wondering if they are just trying to figure out what exactly is going on, while not blowing the investigation they already have going on.

Quote:
That's a good observation! Mike has become that wedge that will break them apart.The way the season has been playing out, it seems as though Jesse is finally wising up to who Walt really is. That look he had on his face at the end of the episode indicated that Jesse is realizing that Walt is becoming a bit mad and drunk with this supposed power her feels he has. It's interesting though to see Walter as the gun toting Scarface... that machine gun he was buying at the start of the season is sure to do some major damage.
Spoiler:
Yeah, my only wonderment is in who is going to be left helping Walt out. I'm pretty sure he's going to have pissed everyone off. I can see Saul still helping him out, but as more of a send-off than still being connected to him. Saul has tried to wipe his hands clean of Walt so many times already but he's also really motivated by money. It seems Walt is going to end up having money still, evidenced by buying the big ass gun and the $100 tip.

But yeah, I thought that Three Stooges and then Scarface parallel was pretty neat - it seemed to perfect, that both were shootouts. Like you were saying, the direction in this show is really phenomenal. The cooking scene from episode 3 was stunning.

Oh, and best delivered line: "Whoa... a-oh! Pool party!"

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 08-06-2012 at 07:52 PM..
Old 08-06-2012, 08:51 PM
My favorite line was "I don't have any of your...magic, Walt." And she said that in all sincerity. That was a really revealing line, imo, in that Skyler has completely bought into the perception of Walter that he has of himself at the moment.

I do not believe she'll commit suicide, as has been getting speculated on, for one reason and one reason only: Walter's lack of a wedding band on his 52nd birthday. If it ends with Skyler in a sadly tragic way, any way that will allow Walt to hold on to a small shred of the "family man" he used to be, then he'll still have that wedding band on. I think it'll end bitter and angry, and I'm leaning farther and farther toward her going to the cops with every episode.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:58 AM
I have always thought that Skylar was one of the more sympathetic characters on the show and last night's episode made me sympathize with her even more.