Old 08-07-2012, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillingworth View Post
Walter's lack of a wedding band on his 52nd birthday.
Good observation!

I also didn't realize the season opener was 2 birthdays ahead. Seems like it'll happen further out than I anticipated. I was expecting it to wrap back around by the end of this season (I also refuse to refer to the split as one whole seasonÖ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I have always thought that Skylar was one of the more sympathetic characters on the show and last night's episode made me sympathize with her even more.
I feel like they haven't given her the depth until this season. She was always kind of shown one-sided. Being a ball buster for Walt, sleeping with Ted - all of those things made me cringe but at the same time I always thought Walt was pushing himself too far mid-life crisis wise. It was like he always set her up to do shitty things. So while I never sympathized with her, I always felt she was a good balance for what they've done with Walt's character. Their kids are really the only two characters scott free, thinking Flynn was a appropriate nickname or not.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
Spoiler:
Yeah, my only wonderment is in who is going to be left helping Walt out. I'm pretty sure he's going to have pissed everyone off. I can see Saul still helping him out, but as more of a send-off than still being connected to him. Saul has tried to wipe his hands clean of Walt so many times already but he's also really motivated by money. It seems Walt is going to end up having money still, evidenced by buying the big ass gun and the $100 tip.
Actually, having watched the episode a couple of times, I'm pretty confident that that $100 was the last bill in his wallet
Old 08-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Actually, having watched the episode a couple of times, I'm pretty confident that that $100 was the last bill in his wallet
Just looked again and you're totally right. It's almost like there's a hesitation on whether or not he should break it and is just like "Fuck it." So that means Saul has no reason for loyalty. The question now will be was it, "Fuck it, I don't have time." or "Fuck it, I don't have time."

Thanks for pointing that out!

As a side note, am I the only one who wishes all of my waitresses were exactly like that one?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Anybody else chuckle when Walt says, "Did you know it's almost been exactly a year since I got my diagnosis?" And Marie chimes in, "It feels longer, doesn't it?"

It was a nice little joke for the audience.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Count me in as a chuckler.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Because I cannot stop thinking about this show right now, I've started a Breaking Bad character tournament in the TV Tourneys subforum. I included a long-ass-winded first post explaining myself and trying to head off the inevitable "this is pointless" comments that will come, and I've also PM'd the brackets to Postmaster General. I hope at least one or maybe two (cross fingers!) of you will get a kick out of it. It's just for funsies.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Good to see some rational thoughts on Skyler here. Everywhere else on the web treats her like she is the bane of all humanity. They want her head on stick. She's no angel that's for sure, but she's just as layered as Walt or Jesse imo.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Rian Johnson ("Fly," Brick, Looper) on directing "Fifty-One": http://www.redforward.com/article/st...ecting---.html
Old 08-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
That (Victor) treatment will be reserved for somebody like Todd or someone on the pesticide team. I think Walt will try to find a reason to kill Todd to send Mike a "message." He'll try to find some mistake to punish Todd for, except it'll backfire on Walt. Mike's killed people too and that won't scare him into being a subordinate, and Jesse will finally see just how fucked up Walt is and will realize he's the same as Gus.
Walt should've listened to George Carlin and never trusted anybody named Todd! If only he'd listen to old George, Walt would know a thing or two about mother fuckers named Todd.

They could've told that kid they were working for the state and everything would've been gravy. But gravy doesn't have shit to do with this show. I mean, right after Walt sold his first 30-odd pounds of crystal, a whole airplane full of people died as a result of that. Thematically, it's only fair we have to watch them directly murder a child in cold blood. The stakes must be raised and honest to God, the episode was so good I forgot all about that little kid on the dirt bike. So kudos to George Mastras and the writing team for making me forget.

So much for Walt gloating to Skyler about robbing a train. Now Mike has his leverage with Jesse. The rift has now officially begun.

Last edited by Cop No. 633; 08-13-2012 at 06:07 AM..
Old 08-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Old 08-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Old 08-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Glad to see Jesse Plemons is getting into things.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Pretty sure my jaw just didn't fall to the floor but literally exploded all over the living room.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Old 08-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
Glad to see Jesse Plemons is getting into things.
This. He was tremendous on Friday Night Lights and seeing him in BrBa and working with PTA in The Master has me so excited for him.

And yes, tonight's episode was genius...this season has been gut-wrenching.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:41 PM
This episode didn't feel right. Hated the train heist. Too over-the-top for me.

Then the end happened.

Yike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmKing2000 View Post
This. He was tremendous on Friday Night Lights and seeing him in BrBa and working with PTA in The Master has me so excited for him.
I loved him in Season 1 of Friday Night Lights. Then came

Spoiler:
the murder cover up that was so out of character for Landry. Then I just stopped watching because they ruined my favorite character.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 08-13-2012 at 02:09 AM.. Reason: Added spoiler tag
Old 08-13-2012, 12:38 AM
Darth, you might want to put that into some spoiler tags (especially because I think it'd be awesome if more schmoes got the chance to actually check out Friday Night Lights). But regarding that subplot,

Spoiler:
I agree that the whole murder subplot was a bit silly, but I thought Plemons did an exceptional job with the flimsy material the writers gave him and still made Landry every bit as sympathetic and dignified as we expected him to be. He was probably the only reason why that subplot wasn't a TOTAL disaster (in my eyes at least). And I definitely recommend that you watch the rest of the series. Season 2 was just a bit of rough patch, but the rest is still in the same league of Season 1 in my eyes.

Last edited by Reckoner; 08-16-2012 at 11:21 PM..
Old 08-13-2012, 12:59 AM
In regards to

Spoiler:
The train heist, I could see how potentially it comes off as out of character or too over the top in relation to the Breaking Bad world. I was pretty iffy on it throughout the whole episode but the genius behind the execution of it completely made up for it, to me personally.

Truck stopped on train track, Engineers work on fixing it. Mike always watching. ZOMG.

Good samaritan pushes truck off the train tracks. DOUBLE ZOMG.

Kid gets shot in the chest. HOLYFUCKINGSHITBALLS.

So while the train heist itself might seem out-of-place in this world, and I 'd certainly agree with that to an extent, they more than freaking redeemed it.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Oh, and I LOVE that Walter White breaking bad reflects that same path of Cranston's career

(Yes, I'm pissed drinking watching him as Tim Watley on Seinfeld)
Old 08-13-2012, 01:51 AM
I didn't find the train heist too over the top at all. And I was on the edge of my seat for it's entire duration right up until that final shocking scene.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmKing2000 View Post
Darth, you might want to put that into some spoiler tags (especially because I think it'd be awesome if more schmoes got the chance to actually check out Friday Night Lights). But regarding that subplot,

Spoiler:
I agree that the whole murder subplot was a bit silly, I thought Plemons did an exceptional job with what the flimsy material the writers gave him and still made Landry every bit as sympathetic and dignified as we expected him to be. He was probably the only reason why that subplot wasn't a TOTAL disaster (in my eyes at least). And I definitely recommend that you watch the rest of the series. Season 2 was just a bit of rough patch, but the rest is still in the same league as Season 1 in my eyes.
Fixed my original post. And I agree with you: he's a phenomenal actor and played that role wonderfully.

So my little side rant: when it comes to TV shows, I'm a character guy first. The Wire is my favorite drama of all time because I was invested in each of those characters, whether I was rooting for them or against them (Clay Davis), and it really has little to do with the plot. Breaking Bad has me hooked mainly because I enjoy watching Walter's descent (while quietly hoping for some modest redemption) and I love watching what has been referred to on these forums as the battle for Jesse's soul.

Landry was the heart and soul of Friday Night Lights, other than the amazingly genuine Taylor family (that never felt too tv, but just earnest and relatable). So when he did something that didn't feel consistent, I got genuinely upset, as if he was a real person, a friend of mine, and I was thinking "he did WHAT?" Just like I would be if Jesse did something very out of character in Breaking Bad (like set up Badger to take a fall or something). It's almost like it disappoints me personally.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:59 AM
Great episode, did not see the ending coming at all.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:56 AM

Don't know if this has already been posted, but I thought this was pretty cool. Great episode, but I hope I don't have to suspend disbelief so much going forward. I mean, the two guys piloting the train couldn't hear the generator? Regardless, that ending was fuckin' nuts.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:29 AM
OH. MY. GOD.

Spoiler:
I literally cried out in unison with Jesse ("NOOOOOO") when that piece of shit shot that kid

Last edited by echo_bravo; 08-13-2012 at 05:38 AM..
Old 08-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Yeah, no doubts now. He could have only learned to shoot like that at the police academy.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Old 08-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
Yeah, no doubts now. He could have only learned to shoot like that at the police academy.

Naw man , if he was a cop even if undercover he would of never done that.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Is just me or does Vince Gilligan have a problem with...

Spoiler:
Kids?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:46 AM

Apparently I slept through the entire middle section of the episode so I'll be watching it again this evening. I'm working tonight, so no reason for me to pass ouÖ I mean, fall asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
It could be that he has amnesia and really thinks he's a bad guy a la Sonny Crockett becoming Sonny Burnett in the Miami Vice S4 - S5 cliffhanger story arc.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:06 PM

Old 08-13-2012, 07:32 PM
^ I'm not sure why, but that is lulz as fuck.

I don't mean to be too reactionary, and maybe I'm being premature here and should watch it a couple more times first, but I think that might have been one of the best episodes I've ever seen. Of anything. Ever.

Spoiler:
The whole confrontation with Lydia was outstanding in a way I didn't expect. I'm starting to like her more and more, but the awesomeness of it came more from the interaction of Walt, Jesse, and Mike. Watching those three work as a unit, with no bullshit and just being efficient despite their differences, is shockingly cool. Walt's scene with Hank was equally effective in a whole other way, showcasing just how good an actor Walter has become and how great a guy Hank still is. Even Junior's brief little scene was effective. I thought he was being a bit of a brat at first but when he gets all teary-eyed and tells Walt he just wants "one good reason," I felt really bad for him. And Walt's response made me kinda mad at Walter.

When Lydia started talking about a train, I literally jumped up and yelled "holy shit they're gonna rob a train!" to no one but my cat. I agree with you guys that the whole concept seems outlandish to the show, but that's what made it so exciting. I didn't even really stop to think about it until I saw some of you comment about it, but the reason I jumped up was because it seems ridiculous, because this is the one show that can take an idea like that and make it work. And they did. It was executed brilliantly, and I was tense as shit throughout the whole scene absolutely certain that something was gonna go horribly wrong. Once they brought Todd in I kept thinking about Postmaster's narc idea, and I was damn near convinced by the time he said "you guys thought of everything." Something about his delivery of that line made me suspicious for some reason, like something is just off with this dude. Then I thought he was gonna get stuck on the train or maybe breaking his neck falling off it or something. But yeah, the narc idea is out for sures now. I guess what's "off" about him is he's just a POS who likes shooting kids. I'm sure his rationale is that he wanted to be a team player or whatever, but I hope the guys end up killing him next episode. I really can't see Mike reacting any other way.

Anyway, I spent like literally ten minutes sitting here in silence after it was over just going wow. I also completely forgot about the cold opening with the kid until the end, and when he showed up and Todd waves I thought what they were gonna do was have it end there. Then we'd spend the whole week wondering how are they gonna deal with this problem? Todd started reaching back and I was all no fucking way. But yes, as it turns out. Way.

The one small complaint I have (and it's a small one) is the time between which Jesse yells "no!" and Todd pulls the trigger. Seems to me that Jesse would have tried to tackle him or something, that's what I would have expected to happen in retrospect. Other than that, this was an absolutely flawless episode imo.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Old 08-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Watched it again and it's so awesome how…

Spoiler:
likable they made that little kid with just like a few minutes. I mean, this is pretty much the coolest kid in the world. That was really well written.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:52 AM
I read a review on TVGeekArmy.com that said some cool shit, I thought. Here, lookit:

Spoiler:
"And you can’t even completely blame Todd. I mean you can. It’s an absolutely horrifying act and it was done with such casualness that even thinking about it now makes me cringe. But think about his interaction with Walt and Jesse so far. He meets them first during Mike’s introduction speech that presents the cooks as two deadly professional drug lords. Then after proving his worth by pointing out a nanny cam in their first cook house, gets recruited for a dangerous heist. He is briefed in detail about how every possible hiccup has been thought of and all he can do is be impressed with Walt and Jesse. He doesn’t know how hard murder has been on both of them (especially Jesse). He doesn’t know how far they have gone to not murder whenever possible (they should have offed Badger when he got arrested in Season 2, but they didn’t; they should have offed Lydia, even if they would have ended up being wrong about the GPS). So when Jesse tells Todd that absolutely nobody else can know about the robbery, he takes it with even more seriousness than Jesse intended. And Todd wants to continue to impress these men who may have ambitions to be Stringer Bell but are closer to D’Angelo Barksdale."

That was by Mike Proper, the guy who wrote the article. Here's the link if you guys wanna read it. I thought those were some really good points. All that being said, I still hope they kill him next week.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 AM
I've been away on my holidaze...and all I can say on my return is FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKK.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Should specify: while I didn't like the idea of the train heist, I can in no way complain about its execution. The episode was brilliantly done. Especially the child on the bike. I didn't forget about him, but for some reason I didn't expect it to go that route. I thought midway through the episode that it was a flashback to Todd as a kid, and something bad was going to happen to Todd during the heist. Boy was I off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillingworth View Post
I read a review on TVGeekArmy.com that said some cool shit, I thought. Here, lookit:

Spoiler:
"And you canít even completely blame Todd. I mean you can. Itís an absolutely horrifying act and it was done with such casualness that even thinking about it now makes me cringe. But think about his interaction with Walt and Jesse so far. He meets them first during Mikeís introduction speech that presents the cooks as two deadly professional drug lords. Then after proving his worth by pointing out a nanny cam in their first cook house, gets recruited for a dangerous heist. He is briefed in detail about how every possible hiccup has been thought of and all he can do is be impressed with Walt and Jesse. He doesnít know how hard murder has been on both of them (especially Jesse). He doesnít know how far they have gone to not murder whenever possible (they should have offed Badger when he got arrested in Season 2, but they didnít; they should have offed Lydia, even if they would have ended up being wrong about the GPS). So when Jesse tells Todd that absolutely nobody else can know about the robbery, he takes it with even more seriousness than Jesse intended. And Todd wants to continue to impress these men who may have ambitions to be Stringer Bell but are closer to DíAngelo Barksdale."

That was by Mike Proper, the guy who wrote the article. Here's the link if you guys wanna read it. I thought those were some really good points. All that being said, I still hope they kill him next week.
The interesting thing in that review (and not just because I love The Wire) was the comparison of Jesse and Walt to D'Angelo Barksdale and not Stringer Bell. Are we sure about that? Yes, Jesse is a bit of a softie (even though he has killed), but I think this will give us some real insight into how far Walt has fallen. We've never seen him react to someone so innocent being hurt because of his actions. Yeah, he killed Gus, but Gus was evil. He had Gale killed, but that was a matter of self-preservation and there were no alternatives (whereas in this case, they didn't even get to think about options). And of course, as goofy as Gale was, he was still a freakin meth cook. All the other deaths resulting from Walt's actions were drug dealers. Not that I know anything about killing, but I think it's easier to sleep at night if you're responsible for the death of drug dealers than it would be if you're responsible for the death of a little kid who was just a bystander.

It'll be very interesting to see how Walt reacts. If he's truly numb to this, it might bring him beyond redemption. His actions directly led to an innocent child being killed (I know it was Jesse's plan, but Walt was the greedy one who didn't pull the plug when Mike suggested). I know it's going to weigh heavily on Jesse, but Walt might have a little Stringer Bell in him after all.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post

Uhm. Cops do shit undercover that you'd never expect.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
It'll be very interesting to see how Walt reacts. If he's truly numb to this, it might bring him beyond redemption. His actions directly led to an innocent child being killed (I know it was Jesse's plan, but Walt was the greedy one who didn't pull the plug when Mike suggested). I know it's going to weigh heavily on Jesse, but Walt might have a little Stringer Bell in him after all.
I never watched The Wire so I didn't understand the reference, but a quick google made me get the gist of what the guy was saying. You're absolutely right about the tale Walt's reaction will tell, and honestly right now I can't even hazard a guess. That goes for Jesse as well kinda, but more in an immediate sense. Jesse's going to be hurt and pissed and probably throw some poorly aimed flailing arm punches at Todd, but what then? I guess that entirely depends on Walter, doesn't it? Hnn. I hadn't even considered that. Mike is going to want to kill Todd, that I'm almost certain of, which is probably why the writers placed him farther away so he wouldn't immediately just cap Todd in the face. Of course, Mike is likely to come running at the gunshot and will arrive on the scene shortly, and at that point will Walter try to stop him? Walter is gonna more or less decide everyone's fate next week with the way he reacts, I think, and it is indeed the most interesting question on the table right now.

Only now is the enormity of what just happened dawning on me. I mean, it was a shocking moment and all on its own was huge, but the long term consequences are going to be even larger than the act itself. The season seemed to be going in one direction so far, but that split second makes it impossible to continue that way. Everything is going to change now. I think that one moment is going to be the thing that makes everything else explode, leading to the disaster we all know is coming.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:25 PM
I had a feeling Todd would "screw up" somehow. I didn't think it'd be to this extreme. That's Breaking Bad for you. The outcome is always ten times worse than you expected.

Something about the ending though really makes me wonder... did anybody else know that Todd brought a gun? It seems like Mike has a tight handle on his crews, and bringing a gun seems like something you'd have to get approval for. I didn't see Walt with a gun or Jesse. Did Mike give Todd the gun before the heist? Did he tell him to ice any possible witnesses? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I think maybe Mike gave Todd the gun as a precaution, and him being eager to impress Walt and Jesse played into his actions. I also think Walt will give Todd the Victor treatment to alleviate Jesse's concern about killing kids, and to show Mike who's boss. And it will be what divides everyone. The guilt will eat Jesse up and he'll notice just how much it doesn't affect Walt and then maybe he'll realize Walt is the same as Gus, a guy who "had to go."

I really can't wait to see how Mike reacts to it.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:04 AM
Not sure if it's a spoiler since it's just speculation, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Hank asking Walt, Jr. if he wanted to watch Heat. You know, one of the greatest heist films of all-time. A film about a heist that goes horribly wrong when the new guy the usual crew brings along kills someone without permission, eventually leading to the downfall of the 'main' character...

Between that and both of the obvious Scarface references earlier this season, I'd say we're in for a wild fucking ride over these next 11 episodes.