Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleG View Post
I agree with this rant. I think Batman Returns is just as bad as the Schumacher ones

I'm curious as to how many people who like Returns have watched it recently? I was a fan of it, hadn't watched it since I was young & recenetly revisited it last week...its just sooo terrible. Like others have said...Batman has all of 20min of screen time in the movie, the characters are just way to ridiculous, I mean...the Penguin gives a Patton like speech to his penguin minions...comeon!!!
Was never a big fan of Returns, but I just watched it again and I really have to agree with you.

Sure it's more gothic and dark (twisted, even, with the baby-napping subplot), but this verges on being as over-the-top and ridiculous as Batman Forever. Catwoman has so many bad puns it's unbelievable. Penguin is ridiculous and his little arcade version of the Batmobile makes me laugh every time. Batman is barely in the damn movie, and Bruce Wayne for even less. The movie is dominated by its villains - and sure, Pfeiffer is sexy as hell and Christopher Walken is fun as always. But talk about a movie that completely forgets about its hero.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:41 PM
No matter how many times I see this thread I still think, "Batman Returns is highly rated?"
Old 08-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Batman: The Movie is the one I use to compare all superhero movies to. Adam West FTW!
Old 08-26-2012, 07:30 PM
I thought it was pretty good, i saw it in theaters when i was 11 5 times and loved it. I fell in love with Pfeifer's version of Catwoman and thought she looked fine, Penguin was creepy but cool and this was alot of fun.

And it is inferior to the first film and it also lead to Batman TAS especially with Penguin and Catwoman's designs if you all know what i mean right. the animated show was a spin-off of the comics and films put together.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 AM
I rewatched the Batman flicks last year and was surprised how awful Batman Forever is. Two-Face is such a cheap Joker knockoff and why the Riddler still needs to steal stuff after he makes more money than Wayne Enterprise with only one product is beyond me. Yes the penguin army is strange, but the brainbox that literally everybody buys within a few days is just as - or even more- ridiculous.
Batman and Robin isn't that bad if you see it as a campy Batman flick like the movie from the sixties. I actually like Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr Freeze, he does look like a menacing villain, too bad they only gave him one liners as dialogue. Another downside is that the movie has way too many characters and is too long.

Back on topic, I like Batman Returns. I'm a sucker for the style. I love the scene with the Bat signal. Bruce Wayne is brooding alone in a dark room and suddenly it's lit by the signal. Sure you can nitpick it's not very covert to have a gigantic bat signal light up in your house, but it makes a great scene with Elfman's fantastic Batman theme. The 92 suit is also my favorite Batman suit. I think the art direction and music makes me a little blind for the faults.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Love Burton's work, love his Batman's.

'Ed Wood' is easily one of his best works but Beetlejuice is right up there too, I also like 'Sleepy Hollow'.

Problem with Burton is all his film projects look the same now, at first it was unique, now not so much. Every film he has done is in his own unique vision which doesn't always really work, plus the ones it does work with you find yourself feeling deja vu.

Burton can't seem to do anything that isn't kooky, kirky, spooky, eerie and ultimately gothic. Now I LOVE all these styles and Burton for bringing them into films but there comes a point when you have seen enough and its time for a change.

I read he was suppose to be making an animated Addams Family film, animated in the same vain as 'Nightmare' and 'Bride'. Now that could be really good as its right up his alley and you expect that approach. Other wise any other film he gets his mitts on you tend to think 'oh boy, he's gonna goth up Starsky n Hutch' or whatever he goes for.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:27 AM
I think Tim Burton is vastly over-rated. All of his films are style over substance.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Batman movies should be outlawed!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel1980 View Post
I think Tim Burton is vastly over-rated. All of his films are style over substance.
Agreed 110%! I'm so fucking sick of him, Depp & Bonham-Carter! Fuck OFF already!