Old 04-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
How's this?
Muy muy bueno. Muchas gracias!
Old 04-03-2012, 02:45 AM
No worries, fixedmind. Today I am going to post a simple, effective, and easy to follow tutorial on one tried and proven method for creating great quality animated movie gifs. This is a task I am happy to do for a fellow Schmoe. He knows who he is. This is for you, man. And anyone else interested. This is my very first tuorial.

SIMPLE ANIMATED GIF TUTORIAL - PART 1

Spoiler:
Before we get started. You will need the following;

- Adobe Imageready (download) torrent
- Quicktime (latest version) free
- Movie trailers (only quicktime format) free
- Some patience (follow tutorial exactly)

For this exercise we are going to use the trailer for Peter Jackson's King Kong.

1. Download the QT trailer for King Kong from HERE (480 P is all you need)

2. Start menu > open Imageready software. Select File > Open (see below)

3. Select the trailer you previously downloaded. Left click it (see below)

4. Your screen should look something like this. Make sure you have the 'Selected Range Only' box ticked (see below)

5. Left click and hold your mouse pointer on the timeline (small tab at bottom of trailer). On the desired starting point of what you want to grab. When you have found that exact point, press and hold down the SHIFT key (don't let go yet). With your left mouse button still pressed, drag it to the right until you reach the end of the scene you want to grab.

NOTE - Don't worry if you get a fair few extra unwanted frames before and after your selection. That's actually better. Because you need to cull them down to your final selection. If you don't initially get all of the desired frames, then you have to repeat the process.

Release the SHIFT key. You will see a small section of the timeline highlighted (dark grey) (see below)

NOTE: If you are having trouble finding the exact point to drag the mouse to. Instead, while you still have the SHIFT key pressed, left click on the tiny right arrows (bottom-right hand side) of trailer window. Keep clicking one frame at a time until you have the desired frames. If you mess up the entire selection process, then simply highlight the 'From Beginning to End' box. This clears the previous selection. Then re-highlight the 'Selected Range Only' and try again. Easy.

Once you have the selected sequence of frames. Click OK. You will see this.

6. Your next screen will look something like this. You will note the trailer window is bigger (this is normal). This is the selection of frames for your gif.

But before we continue, first see the next screenshot. We are going to check something before we continue with our animation.

7. Go to the far right-hand side of your animation window and click the tiny arrow underneath the red/white X. Then click the 'Palette Options' (see below)

You will then see this. Make sure the bottom duck is highlighted. Click OK (see below)

Let us continue. Go back to your selection. You will see that I have highlighted the very first frame in the animation window.
Simply left click on it to highlight it. We are going to remove this unwanted frame. Once highlighted, left click the tiny rubbish bin underneath. (see below)

Last edited by God of War; 04-03-2012 at 08:01 AM..
Old 04-03-2012, 02:45 AM
SIMPLE ANIMATED GIF TUTORIAL - PART 2

Spoiler:
8. Now we are going to check for anymore unwanted frames. Left click and hold down your mouse button on the slider bar. Then drag it to the right (see below)

Keep going until you reach the very end. In this example there are no more frames to remove. When removing multiple frames. Simply highlight them all and delete.

NOTE - This gif will have 84 frames (about 3.5 seconds) in duration. Just so you know. About 150-225 frames (6-9 seconds) is a good range for gifs. Both in size and duration. Don't make gifs too long or too short. There is a happy medium. Overly long gifs will bore people. While gifs that are too short will also annoy people.

Let's continue...

9. We are now going to resize our gif to a much more friendly size. Big gifs are only suitable if they are very short in duration. Trust me when I tell you that nobody wants to wait for a 50 MB gif to load up in their browser.

Click Image > Image Size (see below)

You will then see the following window. Set Width to 243 pixels. And Height to 101 pixels.
Make sure that 'Constrain Proportions' is ticked. And also make sure that Quality is set to 'Bicubic'. Then click OK (see below)

The progress window again... (see below)

10. Finally we are making progress. Your next screen should look like this. To adjust the window, simply left click and hold, then drag the bottom right-hand side corner in or out. (see below)

You can skip all of stage 11 if you like. Or read through it.

11. This next stage is not necessary for this tutorial. But I felt it was kinda needed so you know how to adjust the speed of your final animation. You will note that all along the bottom of your animation palette, that the frame rate is set to 0.04. That is 25 frames per second in video time. We don't need to alter this. But I shall show you anyways. Go to the far right-hand side of your animation palette. Once again, click the tiny arrow there. Then 'Select All Frames' (see below)

IMPORTANT - With all frames selected, go back to the bottom of your animation palette.
Left click on any of the frames where you see the tiny arrow on the right side of the bottom next to '0.04 sec'.

Click that and you will see this... Click 'Other' (see below)

This is your next screen. In here is where you adjust the frame rate of your gif. We are not going to adjust anything here. So, click Cancel (see below)

12. Finally, we can see out new gif in action. Hit the small highlighted play button to see your gif in action. Here is where you can adjust many other things. Most importantly, make sure that your gif loop is set to 'Forever'. You can see that on the very bottom left-hand side of your palette' options. This is fully adjustable. But just leave it set on that for now. Hit that same play button again to stop your animation.

Last edited by God of War; 04-03-2012 at 08:18 PM..
Old 04-03-2012, 02:46 AM
SIMPLE ANIMATED GIF TUTORIAL - PART 3

Spoiler:
13. We are now going to test our gif's speed in our browser to see how it runs.
Go File > Preview In. Click on your preferred browser (see below)

Give it a moment, and then you will see this window popup. This new window provides you with some important information about your new gif.
Take a few seconds to scan over it. View your gif. If you are satisfied, then close the preview window (see below)

14. It's time to save our work, and finish up this tutorial. Go File > Save Optimized As...

Name your file, and save it where you can easily find it.
Make sure settings are on Default, and that 'Save as type' is set to 'Images Only [*.gif]'
Do not mess around with these settings (see below)

And here's the final gif on my desktop. And the actual gif is below that. Enjoy!

TADA!!!

Remember when making gifs, there is no limit to what you can achieve. It just takes time. I hope you enjoyed my first tutorial (took me an hour to do it), and that it helps you achieve the skill of initial gif making. Any questions. Just ask me in this topic. Lastly. Keep this tutorial open at all times when attempting your first animation.

Your welcome

Last edited by God of War; 04-03-2012 at 07:43 PM..
Old 04-04-2012, 05:52 PM
YAAAAAAAY!

Spoiler:

Last edited by fixedMind; 04-04-2012 at 09:47 PM..
Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedMind View Post
YAAAAAAAY!

Well done. Your very first gif? Also....

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedMind
I dont have quicktime pro, so I dont think I can d/l a copy of a trailer from that site. Or from any trailer hosting site as they always redirect back to apple's page.
Any advice on how to do it without a pro account?

I torrented AVS converter so I have my tv shows and movies taken care of, but Id like to figure out how to d/l .mov files from the trailer sites.
Ok. I am going to reply to your pm in here. Because it's easier for me. And that's what this topic is for, dude. So, please make all future queries and comments here, thanks.

1. I don't know why you're trying to acquire QT Pro. You do not need it. It is a piece of software you have to pay for. All you need is QT, which is free. Download it from here. Install it. Once you have it, you can download QT trailers from that site I linked you to. Forget QT Pro. It's buggy anyways.

2. AVS video converter is not the best ripper/converter. But it will do I guess, since you already have it. I previously linked you to a site which is all you need for converting any video to QT for working with in Imageready. Zamzar is also one of the best online video and file converters.

Grats on your very first animation, dude
Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Spoiler:

Well done. Your very first gif? Also....

Spoiler:

Ok. I am going to reply to your pm in here. Because it's easier for me. And that's what this topic is for, dude. So, please make all future queries and comments here, thanks.

1. I don't know why you're trying to acquire QT Pro. You do not need it. It is a piece of software you have to pay for. All you need is QT, which is free. Download it from here. Install it. Once you have it, you can download QT trailers from that site I linked you to. Forget QT Pro. It's buggy anyways.

2. AVS video converter is not the best ripper/converter. But it will do I guess, since you already have it. I previously linked you to a site which is all you need for converting any video to QT for working with in Imageready. Zamzar is also one of the best online video and file converters.

Grats on your very first animation, dude
I already have quicktime. What I meant is that the trailers on the site are all embeded, and when I try to download it to my comp its telling me I need quicktime pro. Ill figure it out.

Thanks for the tutorial btw, it was extremely helpful.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:19 PM
You are most welcome.

Hmm. What browser are you using? You may need 'User Agent Switcher'. It's and add-on for your browser. It's also very tiny. Try it and see if it works. But before that. See below for the links. This may resolve any issues. When someone is serious about making gifs. There is a multitude of tools one must have.

Download Help and User Agent Switcher

Last edited by God of War; 04-04-2012 at 10:26 PM..
Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 AM

I think it's time for some Scrat gifs... I love Scrat.
Spoiler:
Old 04-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Don't quit on us now, GoW.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:09 AM
Ok, Red. Well, it's been quite sometime since I even made a gif. But I just saw this from Fun Size and I had to capture the idiocy...

Spoiler: