Old 03-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Alcohol Addiction

Does anyone have any good resources on alcohol dependency (especially regarding effects on the brain over time, in this case)? I have been looking around and unable to find many credible sources on it (espcially recent sources of information). I am looking to overcome said affliction and struggling with it terribly. I know many of the facts but perhaps not all.

Anyone else struggling with this issue? Anyone have the information I am seeking? There are a good amount of drinkers around, of this I am aware.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorious View Post
Does anyone have any good resources on alcohol dependency (especially regarding effects on the brain over time, in this case)? I have been looking around and unable to find many credible sources on it (espcially recent sources of information). I am looking to overcome said affliction and struggling with it terribly. I know many of the facts but perhaps not all.

Anyone else struggling with this issue? Anyone have the information I am seeking? There are a good amount of drinkers around, of this I am aware.

This might help, it might not

Best of luck to you
Old 03-11-2012, 03:40 AM
If this is serious, then you should go to rehab.

The effects of prolonged excessive alcohol use is severely detrimental to one's health. The physical pains associated with going "cold turkey" can not just be painful, but depending on how far the body has been abused it could lead to death without proper medications and assessment by medical professionals.

At the very least, go to a facility that deals with alcoholism; a 12 steps program, the hospital, anywhere - and go from there. Get a physical examination to make sure you're capable of getting sober safely without medication assistance. Then continue efforts on staying clean and sober, which there are many places to go that can help you out.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:24 AM
Much appreciated KcM. It is safe, I know this myself. I have been able to do a day or two at a time; I am met with great resistance from my mind and body though. I do not fear DT's, its not that developed yet. Without going in to detail, it is safe to stop. When night time falls, my peak hours of drinking especially; I fall in to this lull of thinking about drinking and become very hopeless, depressed, restless, stressed to no end, etc.

So in short, its hard. Im only 23 (going on 24) and have been drinking pretty heavily since age 19. Poor choices I wish I could take back, but alas I cant. I really dont want my brain to diminish to the point Ive (unfoundedly and without any facts presented to me) told it can. I need it, its the most important thing to me. Scary stuff, this addiction. Going to be very hard to work myself out of.

Seeking help seems great @ both posts above. It just... doesnt seem viable unfortunately. Its complicated, as most things are.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Few things to consider about alcohol addiction.

1. If you're truly an addict, as mentioned above, it's good that you want to make yourself better.

2. Most sources wouldn't consider the afflicted person making "progress" unless he/she is sober for 30 days.

3. Inpatient rehab is the best option, but of course is expensive. High focus centers are all around NJ as an outpatient option. I'm sure there are similar places in other states (I believe High Focus is only in NJ, but I'm not positive). I've been told AA isn't that effective in the early stages. Medical treatment needs to be sought first. Once you've made some progress, AA is a useful sounding board to vent some frustrations, but it's apparently not a very good option to begin with.

4. There is a shot a doctor can give you that curbs your desire for alcohol and also makes you sick if you drink.

5. If you're truly an addict, you have to come to terms with this reality: YOU CAN NOT BECOME A SOCIAL DRINKER. If you're an addict, you have to stop completely. 3 months sober can go out the window if you have a couple beers watching football with your buddies. It reopens a can of worms you really don't want to explore. This is one of the hardest things for an alcoholic to accept.

6. As far as brain deterioration goes, alcohol isn't as dangerous as recreational drugs. Most likely, before your brain starts to severely deteriorate, the excessive drinking will probably lead to kidney failure, pancreatitis, or something else that will kill you. It's VERY hard for alcohol to turn your brain into mush.

7. You should also see a psychiatrist. It's possible your desire to drink is brought on by some mental disorder. For example, if you drink when you're depressed, and you're depressed often, perhaps you are bipolar or something, in which case a medication may improve your mood and reduce your desire to drink.

8. My sources: much more personal experience than I care to admit.

I think the hardest thing for you, Inglorious, is needing to accept you have to stop completely. That's what really bothers alcoholics: the fact that they shouldn't even be drinking champagne at a wedding reception. They have to cut it out entirely, or fear a devastating relapse.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Quote:
So in short, its hard. Im only 23 (going on 24) and have been drinking pretty heavily since age 19.
Care to divulge "drinking pretty heavily?" I'm 25 and also feel I drink more than I should but I don't consider it an addiction. I'm still just in my college party habits but have no doubt when I'm ready to quit, I'll be able to, or at least let it turn into just a social drinking type of thing.

This is coming from someone who in the last 7 years, has probably only had 40-50 days without at least a beer or two in that span.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 AM
Darth Kenshin, I respect your post a lot. It makes total sense and registers fully with me; from top to bottom of the post. I dont feel ready, but Im left with little choice. It needs to be done. Its going to be a battle... Im going to wage it... and it might not end well but its about to happen.

xseanymacx, perhaps what they say is true. Maybe you are not affflicted, and I am. I dont want to go in to too much detail. But waking up without alcohol to move the day along is far too much to ask. I become lax and irritibable. Angry, even. Im unpleasant without it for the last year or so. And its not a beer or two with me. Its more like 15-22 per day. Which I cant afford... so add that to the mix.

Rough times.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 AM
You don't have to go into details, but when alcohol becomes something you NEED to keep you going, it's not good. If you need it to "have fun", and so on... not good.

Craig Ferguson (late night host) wrote a biography and he was a raging alcoholic for several years. He knew it was time for rehab because he would panic and go crazy without a drink. He wasn't having fun, but he couldn't stop. The day he got to the clinic, the nurse there said he was within a month of dying due to his excessive habit.
After rehab, he luckily found a way to rid himself of the drinking bug. But it's always there, and he talks on his show even now about how if he started drinking it would be a very bad thing. Not even one drink.
A couple years after he got sober he was at a party with a buddy of his that also drank and used drugs with him in the past. All night Craig noticed the guy was watching him. He called Craig up later and asked him if he drank anything that night. Craig said "No, nothing." The friend asked, "and you still had a good time? How do you do that?"
Craig said that he fought off addiction with luck and good friends beside him. He also said any time he wanted help, just give Craig a call.

A few months later, Craig was carrying bags of groceries up to his apartment and just as he got to the door his cell phone rang. It was that guy, asking for help. Craig said "I can help you out. Call you back soon."
He forgot to call him back, and a couple weeks later his friend died. Craig vowed never again to turn down someone that came to him for help with addiction, and carries that burden of not saving his friend even to this day.

He's not the only story of stuff like this. Duff McKagan from Guns N Roses was promoting his book, and the article linked is an interesting read.

What I'm getting at is don't be ashamed or think you're the only one out there. It's something that many people have to endure. I hope you find a way to kick the need (the habit/desire will never leave) and pick up the pieces.

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:

xseanymacx, perhaps what they say is true. Maybe you are not affflicted, and I am. I dont want to go in to too much detail. But waking up without alcohol to move the day along is far too much to ask. I become lax and irritibable. Angry, even. Im unpleasant without it for the last year or so. And its not a beer or two with me. Its more like 15-22 per day. Which I cant afford... so add that to the mix.

Rough times.
Best of luck, truly.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 PM
From me to you...

Old 03-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Well my uncle suffered this addiction and he spent many years not being able to stop

It distroys you in the end and it not only affects the brain it can distroy your liver to and other areas of the body

it also ages you my uncle was only 60 yrs old when he died of cancer in the stamach

He looked around 80yrs old not 60

he drank until his death and he also smoked
'
he also had cancer bumps on his head and he went through such pain
my unle had two children and because he was drunk all the time he llost those two children which these two kids were adopted out

I know it is hard not to have a drink and it is simalar to smoking where it is hard to give it up

i feel for you and l just hope you will be strong and give it up
Also my mum would not allow my uncle to see us anymore because he drank so much and because he would get himself in trouble with the law
Also sometimes you have to give up freinds who drink around you or you need those freinds to support you plus if you are married you need the support of your wife and family or if you keep drinking you will lose everythnig

Also my uncle was a lovely man when he was young and my brothers and l looked up to him but as he kept drinking we lost repect for him

When you drink you can become aggressive and that is terrible to see a person who was so kind go through this
My Uncle died two years ago
Old 03-12-2012, 07:25 PM
It is also something where you cannot give up so easily and the effects of withdrawal can be bad too but worth it and plus you will notice the changes in yourself
You also need to jion a group where they deal with your problem there are places out there if you look

here is a link and l hope you will updat us on how you are going with all of this

Also you could pm your freinds on this site
I am willing to become a freind if you want to give up
I have seen the effects of what happens and l have also had a freind whos father went through this
he was terrile and he would threaten my freins and her family when he had loads to drink

he was very volient and the police were called every couple of days to put him in a jail cell to sober up
This could happen to you too

http://kidshealth.org/teen/drug_alco...ddictions.html

http://www.patmoorefoundation.com/al...pice-addiction
Old 06-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Darth Kenshin, I respect your post a lot. It makes total sense and registers fully with me; from top to bottom of the post. I dont feel ready, but Im left with little choice. It needs to be done. Its going to be a battle... Im going to wage it... and it might not end well but its about to happen.

Rough times.
I got to this late, fuck it though.

I was friends with a girl who would drink that cheap plastic bottle shit. Black Velvet, Canadian Mist that kinda crap. As much as she drank she couldn't afford the good stuff. She would chase it with Budweiser. Honestly I think she was up to as many as 15 shots a day after work after she threw in the towel. Every 15 minutes chased with Budweiser. When she quit she had extreme anxiety and had to go to a doctor to get ativan prescribed to her. Ativan is highly addictive. A buddy of mine told me it's harder to kick then Heroin. Not only that but it does give you bad memory loss.

Don't know if blackouts can give you brain damage. Something you should consult a neurosurgeon with.

Rehab I think would have been the best choice. Whichever route you decided to take I wish you luck.

Last edited by SL Dubbs; 06-06-2012 at 02:02 PM..
Old 06-06-2012, 03:22 PM
While this may come off ignorant/stupid, I don't believe that alcohol/chemical dependency/addiction should be classified as a "disease". If you put an alcoholic alone on a desert island with nothing even remotely alcoholic in nature in sight, he's still going to end up living (provided everything else is there to survive). If you put a cancer patient in the same scenario, that person is still dying.

In other words, cancer patients don't CHOOSE to have their disease. Alcoholics/addicts on the other hand? It call comes down to choice.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
While this may come off ignorant/stupid,
You certainly didn't disappoint...
Old 06-06-2012, 06:10 PM
/\ I wouldn't say its ignorant to not consider it a disease. Alcoholism may be a cause of disease, but in itself its not really a disease.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Quote:

If you're an addictive type, you could try getting addicted to something else like weight lifting or running.

You might need close people around you, if you have any, to get you by the scruff of the neck and help you make the change.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:25 PM
To hell with running advice I gave.

Listen to your friend Smiert.

And just to add, use hops as a filler
Old 06-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
You certainly didn't disappoint...
It's what I'm here for.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:16 PM
http://www.aa.org is a good place to start looking for info.

Rehab is probably your best option to get you started on the path of recovery tho. I know it helped me.

Then go to AA meetings in your area

And yes it is a disease , it's called addiction - a mental obsession that causes a physical compulsion. Be it alcohol , drugs , gambling , sex , affection , etc . Lots of people stopping one will overcompensate into another. If you only got a drinking problem and you stop drinking , doesn't mean you are cured unless you fix the reason why you were drinking to start with.

Good luck!

Last edited by Dirtyfrog; 06-06-2012 at 10:19 PM..
Old 06-07-2012, 10:07 AM
IN my humble opinion....

Alcohol addiction comes in two forms. Physical addiction and mental addiction.

You go to rehab or some sorts to kick the physical one. Alcohol is more mental than physical.
You go to AA for the mental one. But in AA, you are swapping out one addiction for another.

You must admit you have a problem and you must commit yourself to never having a drink again. You can't handle one drink. That has to be your mentality.

AA is good for many people, but really it is all about you. You need to focus on other things and stay away from people who would help lead you down this sad path. You must overcome what is inside of you that tells you that you need to get drunk.

I don't think you crave the drink. It is something more mental. Go see a shrink. Find out why you drink and understand yourself. It is good you see this is not something you shoudl continue to do and reaching out. Go to an AA meeting and try it out. Or try marrying 15 women. You live in Utah
Old 06-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Well when we are talking about AA meeting the people there orginize to have someone support you and they are simalar to a buddy

When you feel like drinking you call that person up

Also there are places for family of the drinker to get advice and support

Drinking is a mental disease and a terrible one

I have seen it first hand on how it wrecks a persons life

My mums brother was alochol addict and he drank until his death

he also smoked alot and he got stomach cancer from that so he had two conditions

You see on my mums side they grew up in the country and l can tell you this there is not much to do than just drink and smoke

Also you have to get away from freinds who drink because they can encourage you to sip that beer

also l had a freind whos father drank and he was volient and this was not a nice thing to see

my uncle was a happy drunk but as you get consumed with this habit you can not control your anger

My uncles marriage was wrecked by the drink and he lost his kids they were adopted out because there was no money for them

it is better to get help for this habit while you are young because when you are old you will proberly be on the streets or in a homeless shelter

Also when you have a problem with the drink you will get cravings for it and when you dont get it you go through withdrawnal and that is a terrible thing to see a person you know going through this

I hope you will stay in contact and hope at this momnet you arte in rehab
Old 07-02-2012, 04:21 AM
There were some very supportive comments and some rather insulting ones throughout this thread. I want to thank all of those that sent the kind words my way and those that had their hearts in the right place. I sort of steered clear of this thread for a variety of reasons not long after its creation.

I am now 4 weeks without a drink; nor have I indulged in the ganja. I did it with the help of my family, whom I moved in with during the whole ordeal. They actually didnt know what I was going through/dont know to this day, but they helped me more than they could imagine. They continue to do so.

I intend to stay away from the stuff as long as I can and continue to be strong and move in a positive direction. I feel like I have grown a lot through the process and it would be awesome to keep it up.

Thanks again all. To anyone else struggling with the same or similar issues, I wish you the best of luck; and it doesnt always happen on the first try... but keep trying; whats the worst that could happen thats not already potentially going to?

Old 07-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Keep it up!

Family can sometimes be a pretty significant help even if they don't realize it. Just surrounding yourself with with good people who (most importantly) keep you busy. If you're constantly occupied, the desire to drink will be curbed.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
From me to you...

Agreed. Fill your addiction with something awesome and NOT addictive.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Except it is addictive and I had a problem with marijuana simultaneously (which I sort of mentioned in my most recent post in this thread). Just because its not proven to be physically addicting doesnt mean its not physiologically addictive; which it certainly is. Ive known many stoners that are just like any other addict in the sense they say "I can stop whenever I want, I just dont want to". They dont want to because they cant.

I couldn't. I did though. Pot was not necessarily as much of an issue as the alcohol was, but it was definitely a huge issue. Without one or the other I found it hard to get through the day/get up for the day/whatever the case. So Im glad to be rid of both and hope its forever.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Quote:
There were some very supportive comments and some rather insulting ones throughout this thread. I want to thank all of those that sent the kind words my way and those that had their hearts in the right place. I sort of steered clear of this thread for a variety of reasons not long after its creation.

I am now 4 weeks without a drink; nor have I indulged in the ganja. I did it with the help of my family, whom I moved in with during the whole ordeal. They actually didnt know what I was going through/dont know to this day, but they helped me more than they could imagine. They continue to do so.

I intend to stay away from the stuff as long as I can and continue to be strong and move in a positive direction. I feel like I have grown a lot through the process and it would be awesome to keep it up.

Thanks again all. To anyone else struggling with the same or similar issues, I wish you the best of luck; and it doesnt always happen on the first try... but keep trying; whats the worst that could happen thats not already potentially going to?

All l can say is that l am proud that you have stayed off the drink for 4 weeks

it is a very hard thing to break and like you said you have the full support of your family

You would ahve gone through the withdrawal stage which is the worst to get through
Ignore the insulting commnets and look at what you have done to get yourself of this habit

i which my uncle had did waht you have done

He was in a terrible state until his death

He distroyed himself

When he was a young man he was such a great bloke and when he continued to drink through the years he became very angry and volient and that is not a nice thing to see

I wish that when you created this thread you should have looked at some commnets such as mine

i have a great understanding on how hard it is

it is very hard to throw away the bottle butyou have mate

This is something you should be proud of and l hope you dont look back

Also yes you are right you can head back into it but like you said you feel as though you have grown and that is something you should look at and be proud of

Also l want to say that it is great your family stepped forward and helped

Sometimes we dont know how great it is to have family until we go through things

As they say freinds come and go and family are always there if we are happy or going through things
Old 07-03-2012, 12:11 AM
"There's no such thing as an addiction. You just have things that you like doing more than anything else in life."
- Doug Stanhope
Old 07-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exophrine View Post
"There's no such thing as an addiction. You just have things that you like doing more than anything else in life."
- Doug Stanhope
woo i love quote-mining people .... this quote was from a stand-up comedian known for his abrasive style and being over the top. Reminds me of Pink Floyd , every stoner loves Pink Floyd yet nothing in Pink Floyd's music is drug-related.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Quote:
- Doug Stanhope
Stanhope is one contrary melonfarmer though, I saw him in Edinburgh, Scotland in March and at one point started talking about how he doesn't like Edinburgh. Ultimately the point of stand up is to get a laugh, and things said in stand up should be viewed in that context. Stanhope is great at it though.

Oh and weed is addictive on some level, in my student accommodation back in 1998 I saw 2 guys who had smoked every day for years run out one time and they were going off their heads, they were banging on every door in the building trying to find someone who had some.

Good luck Inglorious, I ain't had a drink since January 2008 and I don't miss it now, it was ruining my life in the end, it will get better without it.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
woo i love quote-mining people .... this quote was from a stand-up comedian known for his abrasive style and being over the top. Reminds me of Pink Floyd , every stoner loves Pink Floyd yet nothing in Pink Floyd's music is drug-related.
http://www.pc-spot.us/imagehosting/u...a06920a9e7.png
Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Good thing you had that at the ready. Otherwise, we'd only have to take you at your word that you're a jackass.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:57 PM
^ http://goo.gl/82ips + http://goo.gl/90prA + http://goo.gl/51o0d
.... http://goo.gl/lyqnj
Old 07-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
While this may come off ignorant/stupid, I don't believe that alcohol/chemical dependency/addiction should be classified as a "disease". If you put an alcoholic alone on a desert island with nothing even remotely alcoholic in nature in sight, he's still going to end up living (provided everything else is there to survive). If you put a cancer patient in the same scenario, that person is still dying.

In other words, cancer patients don't CHOOSE to have their disease. Alcoholics/addicts on the other hand? It call comes down to choice.
Alcohol is not a disease it is a addiction and it is a very hard addiction to get rid of..

You need alot of support if you want to kick the habit and if you dont it is worse to get off the bottle

my uncle lived in the country and all there is to do is drink

Even when we were at the funal all his freinds drank and were all pissed

it is not a good sight to see when you are not used to the heavy drinking scene

But as l say if you have freinds who drink alot you should try and stay away from them too

Well alot of men and woman also smoke when they are drinking and my uncle was a chain smoker so sometimes heavy drinkers have that too

Also alocohol can bring on other diseeses which if you are a heavy it can wreck your liver and you know what happens when that is wrecked
Old 07-03-2012, 09:16 PM
http://www.medicinenet.com/alcohol_a...sm/article.htm

Also here are some facts which go along with prolonged drinking and certain things that can happen to you along the way
Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Quote:
- Doug Stanhope
Well it is addiction if you can not stop and you keep going until you collapse

Also if you want a drink first thing in the morning until late at night you have a problem

Also smoking is a addition and it is another area where it is very hard to give up
Old 07-05-2012, 07:22 PM
It is an addiction. It is a compulsion. Some days I would just drink because I could. I mean ynot? Itll make me feel different than I do now and perhaps care less or even sometimes care more but be numb about it in a sense... hard to explain. Im sure ex-drinkers know what I mean though. Wake up, crack one open... just because its there.

Its bad news and Im still glad to be rid of it. Doing well with my family and getting my life on track slowly but I believe surely.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 PM
All douchebaggery aside, I'm glad that you're no longer in that self-destructive cycle. Having it be so much a part of your life that you barely notice that you're choosing to do it is pretty far down that rabbit-hole. It's good to hear you're finding your way out.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Well drinking can be distructive to not only the person drinking but the family who are coping with it as well

i remember a freind whos father drank and he got to the stage where he would go stupid

It was that bad that he would start smashing windows door or anything

it was quite scary to see a person doing this right in front of you

We had to call the police and the police kept him over night in the cells

But the next day it would be on again

I know there are drinkers who can handle themselves but there are drinkers who become volient

But to see you wanting to give up the drink is really good it will give you a diffrent values and you will be able to think clearly plus you will also save money witch you would have spent on the drink

But like l said l am very proud of you and l bet your family is too

They are probeerly glad that you are back yo your old self

So keep it uo and please give us updates as you go along

Plus if you feel like drinking post here and l can tell you we will all support you
Old 07-06-2012, 01:06 AM
Yeah I definitely got "stupid" sometimes. I broke my toe being stupid one night, throwing something rly heavy and losing my balance. I also smashed a closet door in with my elbow for no reason except I had fallen in to it and felt it got in my way. Also did some crazy shit like kick the hell out of my cousin's car in Vegas cause I got locked out of the room.

Dumb stuff. Glad its over.