Old 03-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Are the left hypocrites about Limbaugh?

Limbaugh calls Fluke a slut. Huge national story. Fluke gets a call from the President. Limbaugh loses advertisers. The media can't get over it.

Bill Maher calls Sarah Palin a cunt. Barely even makes the headlines. Palin does not get a call from the President. The President gets a million dollar donation from Maher and does not return it.

Am I the only one who sees a difference here? I realize that Sarah Palin is a public figure and Fluke is not. But for all intents and purposes Maher and Limbaugh have the exact same job except one is conservative and the other is liberal.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Nope.

Ridiculing a woman for expressing her views about insurance contraceptive coverage is in no way comparable to criticizing public figures for being assholes.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:03 PM
I know liberals that hate Bill Maher and conservatives that hate Rush Limbaugh. The problem has always been the dumbing-down of politics with this Us. vs. Them mentality that focuses more on who is on which side than real issues. It's really hilarious how easily the American public is distracted. Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a slut and the entire country stopped talking about birth control and health care.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Nope.

Ridiculing a woman for expressing her views about insurance contraceptive coverage is in no way comparable to criticizing public figures for being assholes.
So basically it's ok to call women sexist stuff as long as you think it's true? I'm not defending Sarah Palin in the slightest, but you actually think it's ok to call her a cunt on a public forum with millions listening to you? You don't see any hypocrisy there? Really?

Edit: By public forum, I mean Bill Maher's TV show and not these forums lol.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Another example:

Laura Ingraham Busts The View: When Ed Schultz Called Me a Slut Barbara Walters 'Laughed it Off'

In this scenario Laura Ingraham (conservative talk host) was called a slut by Ed Schultz from MSNBC. The women on the view laughed it off saying how women get called slut all the time and it's not a big deal. But when Fluke got called a slut the women on The View were talking about how disgraceful it was and how "the word is the word and should never be used" etc.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Jolanar, I think we can all agree that the women on the View are total hypocrites.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 PM
...and sluts.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Jolanar, I think we can all agree that the women on the View are total hypocrites.
It's not just The View though, that wasn't really my point specifically.

I dunno basically this whole topic to me just stems from the fact the story WILL NOT DIE. So sick of hearing about it.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
So basically it's ok to call women sexist stuff as long as you think it's true? I'm not defending Sarah Palin in the slightest, but you actually think it's ok to call her a cunt on a public forum with millions listening to you? You don't see any hypocrisy there? Really?
I feel like "hypocrisy" is being thrown around a little loosely. There's not an enormous amount of people making a big deal about the Limbaugh thing who "approved" the Maher thing. I think the fact that Fluke is not a public figure matters a lot, in my mind.

Regardless...both men are talk show hosts. As Davey said, people are just too easily distracted by entertainers like these guys masking themselves as intelligent and/or important.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:23 AM
You can also look at it from the perspectives of each person's audience. For Maher, he's a comedian. His audience is used to the shock value of his jokes with a dab of genuine commentary. It's easy for the two (jokes and commentary) to mesh together and Maher can get away with saying and doing most things. Maher could have said Palin was a cunt, as a tongue-in-cheek comment about her views and "morals", and not receive any flak.

Limbaugh is a political commentator. His forum has a serious tone to it and his audience doesn't expect to hear any humour. Even if Limbaugh made his comments about this woman in a "humourous" tone, he would be taken seriously by his audience.

More people would hunt down a serious commentator than a silly comedian looking to make a laugh however he can.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 AM
I think the fact that Maher being a comedian does make sense. Even though he is a political comedian.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Interestingly enough here is what Bill Maher tweeted on the situation:

Quote:
Hate to defend #RushLimbaugh but he apologized, liberals looking bad not accepting. Also hate intimidation by sponsor pullout
Old 03-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Hypocrisy is when someone, let's say a well know radio talk show host, rails against drug offenders for years and years, saying that they deserve the harshest punishment - even for first time offenders, and then that very same host gets busted for a drug offense and doesn't think he deserves the very same punishment he said drug offenders deserve.

Rush wasn't calling Fluke a slut "just because" - he was calling her a slut, and demanding sex tapes, and ridiculing her parents, because Fluke had the audacity to expect that her health insurance provider should cover birth control pills, specifically for the physical health benefits the pills provide and not for the reproductive aspects.

Sarah Palin was an incompetent mayor who left her small town in debt, charged rape victims for their rape kits, and, in general, an all around twit who was in no way, shape or form fit to serve in the second most powerful and important roll in our government. That's why Maher called her a cunt.

Now, if Maher has said something along the lines of "Women are unfit for office of any kind and they should just stay home and make babies" and "the left" said nothing, then that would be hypocrisy.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:19 PM
DID Maher ever call her a cunt? I watch just about every episode. He's called her a bimbo, an idiot, a fucking whackjob, but I've never heard him use that word to describe Palin.

Rush slandered a woman who is NOT a public figure. Maher used ad hominem criticisms of a well-known person. There is a HUGE difference. It's not hypocrisy.

The only thing that irritates me is that the sponsors decided to pull out NOW, as opposed to the innumerable times Rush has said something insensitive, slanderous, or flat-out wrong.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:15 PM
We are all hypocrites.

Conservatives are all about rights and less government. But, they are first ones rushing to give up their rights if their person is in the White House, example: Bush and company pushing for the Patriot Act, which took away many rights.

Dems have a long list of being hypocrites.

We are all hypocrites. We all say one thing, and do another. It is just human nature. We do like to call each other out on it more so now than ever before.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:19 PM
So, what I've learned from this thread is that sexism/misogyny is okay as long as it's directed at a public figure who holds undesirable political positions. Wunderbar.